• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon UltraSun/UltraMoon trailer (10/12): New Z-Moves and Rotom Dex features

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I'm still remaining optimistic about this entry. There's no way they are releasing a sequel as barebones as they are making it seem it is.
None of us are ASKING for the game to come barebones but they haven't shown much that has alot of substance or to be really excited about and considering their track record with their barebones efforts from X/Y,ORAS, and SuMo (Yes they made alot of changes with SuMo but in terms of content it was still very basic feature wise) it's not inspiring alot of confidence in us that they won't do it again a 4th time.

Where's the post game? It's been horid on all of the 3DS games.
That's what I miss the most from the DS games heck Emerald felt more feature complete than any 3DS game so far.

Macka

Are new Z-Moves really a selling point? They're annoyingly long and OTT animations that thanks to this trailer I've already seen. If they think they're equivalent to new Mega's like in ORAS, or the potential of new regional variants...they're mistaken imo.

And god those Necrozma forms look horrible.

Macka

... Uh... Wha?
Most of the people complaining about the lack of (or unimpressive) content in these games will still buy them.

...Which is why GameFreak won't bother making a new Black2/White2 level game again. They don't need to.

Ydelnae

I seriously doubt they are saving up the hypotherical new Alola forms right up until the game releases. They tend to reveal endgame stuff near release, not stuff that you encounter early in the game.

RomanceDawn

... Uh... Wha?

I'm a part of the problem, I know and I'm slightly ashamed.

I love battling and I love when some of my favorite Pokémon get new moves or abilities that allow them more competitive options. It's the simplest, maybe dumbest reason, but for me it's reason enough to sit through a boring story with lame production values.

hopefully plenty of move tutors and egg moves will be added. Though it's new Alolan forms that would really get me excited.

I seriously doubt they are saving up the hypotherical new Alola forms right up until the game releases. They tend to reveal endgame stuff near release, not stuff that you encounter early in the game.

If this game ad new A-forms, they would've revealed them a long time ago. Gamefreak is very rarely shy about pimping out new forms.

Ydelnae

If this game ad new A-forms, they would've revealed them a long time ago. Gamefreak is very rarely shy about pimping out new forms.

People were giving them the benefit of the doubt because years ago and when marketing cycles were different, they used to hold out more information. I'd say the chances of us getting new forms that are not tied to legendary/UB Pokémon are pretty low as of now. I would love to be proven wrong, though.

ash_ag

The official Japanese website still has two "Coming Soon" banners up.

qwCErw5.png

Presumably one of them is for whatever the successor to Battle Frontier / Pokémon World Tournament is in this game, but I wonder what the other one could be about. I don't think all hope is lost for new Alolan forms. Mega Evolutions as a whole were announced less than two months in advance of XY's release and they were a much bigger thing for their time. Although these would probably go under Pokémon on the website...

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
There will probably be a new battle facility of some sort (since USM's official map art is doing that cloud cover trick 3rd versions like to do). But I'm not expecting it to be the BF.
Maybe I'm being too cynical here, but after OR/AS' cloud cover in the area that should have been BF, I've tried to keep my expectations low about what the clouds in US/UM are hiding.

The official Japanese website still has two "Coming Soon" banners up.

qwCErw5.png

Presumably one of them is for whatever the successor to Battle Frontier / Pokémon World Tournament is in this game, but I wonder what the other one could be about. I don't think all hope is lost for new Alolan forms. Mega Evolutions as a whole were announced less than two months in advance of XY's release and they were a much bigger thing for their time. Although these would probably go under Pokémon on the website...

I'm crossing my fingers for a successor to Black Tower/White Tree that acts as a post-game grinding area.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
I'm crossing my fingers for a successor to Black Tower/White Tree that acts as a post-game grinding area.
Some fans have noted that the Ultra Megalopolis, which sort of resembles Black City, has signs, meaning it may or may not be bigger than the trailer suggested. It would be nice if it housed some content rather than just being a story area.

v1perz53

A batch of new Alolan forms would be such an easy trump card here.

That's all I want. The roster of new/alolan pokemon to use on an ingame team was a bit shallow in Sun/Moon and was my biggest issue with it. Was hard for me to build a unique team of new pokemon for each version that wasn't weak in-game, which is my favorite part of the pokemon games. Even a half dozen new alolan forms would be really cool additions for me, plus shuffling some of the late game pokemon to a bit earlier to get to try them out.

ash_ag

Maybe I'm being too cynical here, but after OR/AS' cloud cover in the area that should have been BF, I've tried to keep my expectations low about what the clouds in US/UM are hiding.

It could well be in Ultra Megalopolis. There is indication of regular NPCs in Ultra Space, and I don't think new locations will be for story purposes only. If I were to be a little optimistic here, I'd say Ultra Space may function kind of like a fifth island. Also, foreshadowing:

ZvrLBSP.jpg

Battle Tree I can very easily believe. But a facility in Ultra Space? That would be more impressive.

Let's not forget about Ryuki either. Be it some kind of Gym simulation or something else, that's also one feature we haven't been informed about.

J@hranimo

Banned
It's the first mainline Pokemon game that I have absolutely no interest in. :(

Thought I was the only one.

These games look to be a lot better than the main game from SuMo and are bringing back some good features from Gen 6, yet I'm just not interested. Maybe that'll change when the game actually releases.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I know some people have been speculating that we might be able to battle the previous villains perhaps in Ultra Megapolis.

It's kind of a silly speculation, BUT the /vp/ post that first mentioned the names "Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon" mentioned the villains returning, their icons can be seen in footage of the Photo Club Mini-Game, and Masuda recently posted a picture on Twitter with him mimicking Lusamine's pose with box sprites of main villain's key Pokemon on the wall around him.

So, I guess I could see something bizarre like "all the villains have ended up here!" and you battle them and team up with them perhaps like the Battle Tree?

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
It could well be in Ultra Megalopolis. There is indication of regular NPCs in Ultra Space, and I don't think new locations will be for story purposes only. If I were to be a little optimistic here, I'd say Ultra Space may function kind of like a fifth island. Also, foreshadowing:

ZvrLBSP.jpg

Battle Tree I can very easily believe. But a facility in Ultra Space? That would be more impressive.

Let's not forget about Ryuki either. Be it some kind of Gym simulation or something else, that's also one feature we haven't been informed about.
I recall some fans suggesting the foreshadowed facility being Aether Paradise, since it wasn't explicitly stated to be a battle facility.

Good point about Ryuki, I actually forgot about that. For B2/W2, we actually had footage of the PWT around a month before it was officially revealed, so there is some hope of something more than a Battle Tree.

R0ckman

I'm a part of the problem, I know and I'm slightly ashamed.

I love battling and I love when some of my favorite Pokémon get new moves or abilities that allow them more competitive options. It's the simplest, maybe dumbest reason, but for me it's reason enough to sit through a boring story with lame production values.

hopefully plenty of move tutors and egg moves will be added. Though it's new Alolan forms that would really get me excited.

I don't even really mean to rag on you either, I think in the instance of that qoute it really seemed kind of wacky. I was reading your post and then I get to the last sentence and its like night and day, and my brain is just like... WTF? As it was not expecting such a contrasting conclusion.

spad3

Badass!

I wasn't hyped for this before but man they're showing some really neat stuff.

Can't wait! (I should probably beat Sun before this comes out huh...I got all the way through Moon already and it was a blast)

ash_ag

I know some people have been speculating that we might be able to battle the previous villains perhaps in Ultra Megapolis.

It's kind of a silly speculation, BUT the /vp/ post that first mentioned the names "Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon" mentioned the villains returning, their icons can be seen in footage of the Photo Club Mini-Game, and Masuda recently posted a picture on Twitter with him mimicking Lusamine's pose with box sprites of main villain's key Pokemon on the wall around him.

So, I guess I could see something bizarre like "all the villains have ended up here!" and you battle them and team up with them perhaps like the Battle Tree?

I can totally buy that. PWT had no issue presenting all Gym Leaders and Champions in one facility without much of a story context. It would be great to see something similar done for villains, and the Ultra Space is the ideal environment for that. Many fans want to see the Elite Four and Frontier Brains, but Team Admins/Scientists are as much boss characters as the rest, and they don't have many other opportunities to reappear.

It's also a rare opportunity to get Jessie and James appear in the games. Surely they'd take Yellow into account. :p
I'd be all for seeing them in their updated Card Game look.

jLTGOOQ.jpg

PS_GUY

It's so weird because someone made a side by side comparison of the new features included in these games to the other 3rd versions and USuMo easily beat them. That being said, I still am on the fence on whether to get the game or not...

I think it's because I didn't particularly enjoy SuMo as much. By the way, Gym battles >>>>>> trials. One of the worst new features.

R0ckman

Wonder if they will add farfetch'd as a native to this version. Would really like to take him through the region and test out his new 90 attack, didnt bother transferring him to Sun and Moon.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
It's so weird because someone made a side by side comparison of the new features included in these games to the other 3rd versions and USuMo easily beat them. That being said, I still am on the fence on whether to get the game or not...

I think it's because I didn't particularly enjoy SuMo as much. By the way, Gym battles >>>>>> trials. One of the worst new features.

Care to post that comparison? I would like to see it.

I have STRONNNNNGGG feeling that Trials being implementented had alot less to do with Game Freak wanting to try something new and more to do with the change being made to accommodate the new direction the Anime was heading with it's gag style school setting so the gameplay portion of the Trial was an afterthought.

brinstar

Care to post that comparison? I would like to see it.

Well, looking at the major stuff...

Emerald: Remixed plot, New Gym Leader & Champion, Gym Leader rematches, Battle Frontier, handful of extra Gen 2 Pokemon included in postgame Safari Zone, Deoxys Speed Forme

Platinum: Remixed plot, Expanded ingame Pokedex, Gym Leader rematches, Battle Frontier, Giratina Origin Forme, Shaymin Sky Forme (event exclusive), 5 New Rotom Formes (event exclusive)

B2/W2: Entirely new plot, new areas & towns, New Gym Leaders & Champion, Pokestar Studios minigame, World Tournament, Black & White Kyurem, Therian Formes for the genies (pokeradar thing required) Resolute Form for Keldeo (event exclusive)

US/UM: Remixed plot, new areas, New Trial Captains, Expanded ingame Pokedex, Lycanroc Dusk Forme (event exclusive) Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings Necrozma, at least 3 entirely new Pokemon so far, 2 new moves so far, New Z-Moves

So yeah idk. US/UM is missing a new postgame battle facility so far which seems to be the thing a lot of folks are really hounding for, but other than that it doesn't seem that different from previous expanded releases. B2/W2 is seemingly going to still be king, but US/UM introducing new Pokemon midgen is awesome to me (yeah yeah I know UBs "dont count" for some of you guys)

Kyzer

Banned
almost didnt even watch the trailer tbh

Z Moves having real backgrounds is a megaton for me, I hated that they were such a step back graphically/for immersion

Well, looking at the major stuff...

Emerald: Remixed plot, New Gym Leader & Champion, Gym Leader rematches, Battle Frontier, handful of extra Gen 2 Pokemon included in postgame Safari Zone, Deoxys Speed Forme

Platinum: Remixed plot, Expanded ingame Pokedex, Gym Leader rematches, Battle Frontier, Giratina Origin Forme, Shaymin Sky Forme (event exclusive), 5 New Rotom Formes (event exclusive)

B2/W2: Entirely new plot, new areas & towns, New Gym Leaders & Champion, Pokestar Studios minigame, World Tournament, Black & White Kyurem, Therian Formes for the genies (pokeradar thing required) Resolute Form for Keldeo (event exclusive)

US/UM: Remixed plot, new areas, New Trial Captains, Expanded ingame Pokedex, Lycanroc Dusk Forme (event exclusive) Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings Necrozma, at least 3 entirely new Pokemon so far, 2 new moves so far, New Z-Moves

So yeah idk. US/UM is missing a new postgame battle facility so far which seems to be the thing a lot of folks are really hounding for, but other than that it doesn't seem that different from previous expanded releases. B2/W2 is seemingly going to still be king, but US/UM introducing new Pokemon midgen is awesome to me (yeah yeah I know UBs "dont count" for some of you guys)
What new trial captain?

I have STRONNNNNGGG feeling that Trials being implementented had alot less to do with Game Freak wanting to try something new and more to do with the change being made to accommodate the new direction the Anime was heading with it's gag style school setting so the gameplay portion of the Trial was an afterthought.

Do you have any evidence to support this? I'm pretty sure the anime is almost always designed to accommodate the core games with the major exceptions being Yellow Version, Pikachu having the anime's VA since X/Y, and events like Ash-Greninja and Ash's Pikachu.

Ravidrath

The rate they're releasing info at seems to be increasing, so I'm still holding out hope for new Alolan forms and/or Mega Evolutions.

It's the first mainline Pokemon game that I have absolutely no interest in. :(

I can't put my finger on it, I have played every mainline Pokemon Game that there is and USUM do absolutely nothing for me. Sun was enjoyable but I can't really remember having that great of a time and at points, it did become a slog. I never really remember (minus grinding) slogging through other Pokemon titles. Maybe it was the removal of gyms or the so-so Pokemon but I don't know if that experience will continue to carry over to USUM. I also completely dislike the fact that they are getting so into some of these new features and leaving behind or ignoring many I actually like. I hate Z-Moves they are cheap power moves that I don't think are enjoyable to use as a gameplay mechanic. What I really would like is a return to something like Pokemon HGSS or BW, both were fresh introducing a few new features that didn't dominate the core experience. I especially like BW for deciding to do a clean slate with only that generation's Pokemon for the majority if not the entire game. I also really liked having multiple rivals and a neater setting.

I will likely still play Ultra Sun but I don't really have a whole lotta hope for it grabbing my attention. I do want that Switch game though, that might scratch the Pokemon itch that's been nagging me for years now.

Also maybe one day that Diamond and Pearl remake.

Crayolan

The rate they're releasing info at seems to be increasing, so I'm still holding out hope for new Alolan forms and/or Mega Evolutions.

New alola forms could happen, however unlikely it may be.

Pretty sure megas are dead though, at least for gen 7. I feel like no new megas in the original SM pretty much guaranteed no new megas all gen.

Xion_Stellar

Comparison Stuff
Well outside of adding more areas and 3 new Pokemon and 1 new Captain Ultra SuMo is nearly identical to Platinum (since the Distortion World is a thing in Platinum) but I'll gladly take the Battle Frontier over 3 new Pokemon,the new Trial Captain and the equivalent of more Distortion World areas.

And you're right more Ultra Beast don't mean a thing to many people but speaking for myself I don't like them for 4 possible reasons.
- Because Somogon may ban them from the OU tier therefore I will never use them
- Because they might not be competitively viable for the VGC
- Because if they end up over powered they will end up abused in the VGC
- I haven't used a Legendary since Gen I because I see them as cheap cap out for a rooster.

So yeah I rather have more NORMAL Pokemon instead of stockpiling more Legendaries I will never use.

Do you have any evidence to support this? I'm pretty sure the anime is almost always designed to accommodate the core games with the major exceptions being Yellow Version, Pikachu having the anime's VA since X/Y, and events like Ash-Greninja and Ash's Pikachu.
Naw just a hunch on based on how the Anime ended up in terms of it's dialogue (the "jokes/puns") the new aesthetic (More Toon Boom...) and it's general premise (Don't have to worry about Ash moving around challenging gyms).

Xion_Stellar

Black 2 and White 2 spoiled y'all.
They let the cat out of the bag and now they expect us to be satisfied with something of inferior quality? No way....as far as I'm concerned Black 2 and White 2 are the examples of what a Core Pokemon game should be feature wise with Heart Gold and Soul Silver being the minimum pinicle of what a Remake should be.

Kenai

I think comparing Platinum Distortion world to SuMo Ultra Space is a bit disingenuous right now. Distortion world was just a fairly barren puzzle dungeon akin to RB Mewtwo dungeon. SuMo could in theory end up similar but it'd be pretty weird to have all these characters from there plus mc and more going there just for it to end up being such.

I don't mind people complaining about the sparse information and such but still.

Xion_Stellar

I think comparing Platinum Distortion world to SuMo Ultra Space is a bit disingenuous right now. Distortion world was just a fairly barren puzzle dungeon akin to RB Mewtwo dungeon. SuMo could in theory end up similar but it'd be pretty weird to have all these characters from there plus mc and more going there just for it to end up being such.

I don't mind people complaining about the sparse information and such but still.

Their scope maybe different and bigger but they essentially fill the same role as the Distortion World or that tiny island where you get Latios/Latias in ORAS. You go to a small area for the sole purpose of catching a legendary so these Ultra Space areas where you fight the Ultra Beasts are no different to me.

Toxi

Banned
Well outside of adding more areas and 3 new Pokemon and 1 new Captain Ultra SuMo is nearly identical to Platinum (since the Distortion World is a thing in Platinum) but I'll gladly take the Battle Frontier over 3 new Pokemon,the new Trial Captain and the equivalent of more Distortion World areas.

And you're right more Ultra Beast don't mean a thing to many people but speaking for myself I don't like them for 4 possible reasons.
- Because Somogon may ban them from the OU tier therefore I will never use them
- Because they might not be competitively viable for the VGC
- Because if they end up over powered they will end up abused in the VGC
- I haven't used a Legendary since Gen I because I see them as cheap cap out for a rooster.

So yeah I rather have more NORMAL Pokemon instead of stockpiling more Legendaries I will never use.
Outside Pheromosa (who just doesn't fit in 6 vs 6 singles), the ultra beasts have been surprisingly balanced in both Smogon single formats and VGC. They're all balanced by having a clear weakness and some seriously limited movepools.

It's the Tapus that really feel gross. The terrain system means that basically every team is encouraged to bring at least one.

Top Bottom