• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mod Discussion and News [Creation Kit released]

Bruiserk

If you fast travel to Honningbrew Meadery it should be visible from there. Without RWT loaded it goes away, so it's not another mod.

Thanks, the nirnroot glow was annoying me.

Why do nirnroots glow anyways?
this is my first elder scrolls game dont hurt me

S0N0S

Why do nirnroots glow anyways?
this is my first elder scrolls game dont hurt me

I think they glow because each nirn root supposedly contains a piece of Nirn's soul, the planet on which the Elder Scrolls series takes place. They're actually not supposed to respawn, because of course there couldn't be infinite pieces of nirn's soul. This was the case in previous games, and you can use the script from the mod I posted above that prevent nirnroots from regrowing, if you want to stick to the lore.

BTW - and this applies to everyone - if you want to know more about Elder Scrolls lore, check out the Elder Lore Podcast. It's how I know everything I know about Elder Scrolls lore and it's great for those who can't be bothered to take the time to read the wiki or read the in-game books, like me.

ScRYeD

If you fast travel to Honningbrew Meadery it should be visible from there. Without RWT loaded it goes away, so it's not another mod.

Thanks, the nirnroot glow was annoying me.

I personally like the only source of light at besides the odd fire, Skyrim needs more light sources at night. Like glowing animals like torchbugs and luna moths also glowing moss would be cool as well.

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
Did that (by changing plugins.txt), it's still there.

It's only a minor issue, wont stop me from using it.

Gonna ask for your help here since I can't see it on my system. Could you open up the console and click on the waterfall and tell me what number shows up? Get close enough so you don't click on anything else but far enough away so you can still see it.

Edit: I see it now thanks.

Karak

Sorry thought it was on here that I found it.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=9063
Pic. Basically you can up the chances of a kill move and it removes the restriction of "no enemies in local area"

9063-1-1329012624.jpg

Also Armor of the Elven Guard looks cool as well
6937-4-1327393911.jpg

6937-2-1327463105.jpg

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=6937#content

Karak

Could you try loading realisticwatertextures.esp last if you haven't already?

Are you currently fixing the splash issue(wrong texture or overwhite) and the texture alpha blending issues or transparencies? Once I installed this I could see through some water like it was clear versus prior to it.

FYI this is an amazing start. Just a couple things here and there and this will be the top dog of GFX mods. Love the new look. I think thats why I noticed the couple issues so quickly because it was such a dramatic increase in the worlds look. Loving it.

ScRYeD

What is the warning about "Don't use any other GFX mods" with that one?

I think she means other enb graphics mods because near the bottom of the page she recommends some mods to use.

Why is noone making a mod that rebuilds helgen in some way.

Karak

I don't like Armory 300, it's just re-colors of all the default weapons basically... heh, I like lots of various stuff.
I don't know about Armory 300. Crafting 300 adds a ton of uniques and a new way of making weapons, blacksmith perk line, new upgrades, material and weapons are now separated, and ALSO adjusts the originals. I also like that the 45 power uniques weapons are all connected to bosses around Skyrim. Sort of adds a reason to go adventuring. I will check out Armory 300 though.

Edit: I am not finding an Armory 300. Do you think you are talking about the very old version of this one? It looks like when this first came out it just did re-textures. Far better than the originals but just re textures.

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
Are you currently fixing the splash issue(wrong texture or overwhite) and the texture alpha blending issues or transparencies? Once I installed this I could see through some water like it was clear versus prior to it.

FYI this is an amazing start. Just a couple things here and there and this will be the top dog of GFX mods. Love the new look. I think thats why I noticed the couple issues so quickly because it was such a dramatic increase in the worlds look. Loving it.

Splash texture has always been that white. Probably more noticeable because there's more of it. Not sure what I'm going to do about that yet. I made rivers more transparent because they seemed too dark compared to how shallow they are.

I don't know about Armory 300. Crafting 300 adds a ton of uniques and a new way of making weapons, blacksmith perk line, new upgrades, material and weapons are now separated, and ALSO adjusts the originals. I also like that the 45 power uniques weapons are all connected to bosses around Skyrim. Sort of adds a reason to go adventuring. I will check out Armory 300 though.

Edit: I am not finding an Armory 300. Do you think you are talking about the very old version of this one? It looks like when this first came out it just did re-textures. Far better than the originals but just re textures.

Same thing... Crafting 300 is the .esp name, but it's Armory of Tamriel - Crafting 300 the full name, I just shortened it.

Personally just not a fan :) It is a very complex mod though and I can understand why you like it, I just don't like it personally.

My god this new ENB setting is something else.

Couple of quick screens to whet the appetite.

It's amazing, I just plugged my changes into it, and away we go - performance is much better as well, seems to be running at 60 fps+ the whole time, and everything looks much more full of 'depth'. Look at the metal in a few of them and it looks much more 'metallic'.

Can't wait to go out into the world.

I'm off to play :D

Raide

Next time Bethesda should just release the mod tools first, a brief design document and let the community make the game for them. Or at least make a large beta version, get the community to rebuild and fix all the broken shit, then finally release the game.

S0N0S

Not a fan of the mods that claim to "add" new content to the game by just adding retextures.

Next time Bethesda should just release the mod tools first, a brief design document and let the community make the game for them. Or at least make a large beta version, get the community to rebuild and fix all the broken shit, then finally release the game.

That's essentially what's going on right now. Skyrim has become more of a platform than a game for many people.

Just tried the new ENB mod ColonialRaptor is using with the realistic water mod.

Damn, it's so pretty! The game now has such a more, hard to describe, more "solid" overall look, looking more 3 dimensional with gorgeous colors and shading.

Though my framerate really tanked like 20+ fps because of it.

Karak

So true. Just in the last 5 days I have found so many mods that changed the vanilla bits into almost unrecognizable awesome. Just pure amazing and add so much. Some of the modders stuff like the extra perk lines and stuff are incredible and actually open up bits of the game that feel like they were missing before. Great stuff.

Karak

Splash texture has always been that white. Probably more noticeable because there's more of it. Not sure what I'm going to do about that yet. I made rivers more transparent because they seemed too dark compared to how shallow they are.

No problems at all. Like I said amazing mod. Love it. The white does seem off to the point of an actual error but I see what you mean about how it was used originally. Loving it.
Fought my first undead dragon today. Gotdamn that looked sweet. Such an amazing mod. I can't fathom how quickly people are making things. Keep up the work!

zkylon

zkylewd
Just tried the new ENB mod ColonialRaptor is using with the realistic water mod.

Damn, it's so pretty! The game now has such a more, hard to describe, more "solid" overall look, looking more 3 dimensional with gorgeous colors and shading.
I don't really like how it looks in this case, but heavily blown whites + ambient occlusion work really well to give that effect.

I'm hoping for a slower leveling mod (I'm sure there's one already but I'm not feeling like browsing for it). I feel like I only played 10 minutes and I'm already level 8.

teiresias

I've finally got my Skyrim ini setup like I want it. Running @1920x1080 with the Bethesda HD Textures, FXAA. No regular deferred AA since combining it with the HD Textures push the VRAM requirements above the 1GB of my GTX460s@SLI setup. (I've been good with the SLI for about a year and this is the first game to give me VRAM, so I'm seriously wondering whether to ditch it when the Kepler parts come out for a 2GB+ card instead).

In any case, the only real mod I have right now is Isoku's water mod. It's really great, though occasionally I'll see the flickering water thing and I haven't fast traveled at all. It's pretty rare though.

I actually find I like the vanilla palette and look of the game - more gritty than Oblivion, which I always felt was too bright and cheery - this is much more moody. Not sure I'm going to do a good deal with other graphical mods besides maybe a weapon/shield texture mod for the first person view. Can anyone recommend one that's true to the original weapon textures?

I'm looking through gameplay tweaks that I might like. Anyone used "Realistic Ragdolls and Force"? That looks interesting since I hated the overblown ragdoll physics in Oblivion. I'm also liking the looks of "Improved Skill Books" that puts the skill in paranthesis next to the book so you can avoid it if you want, I guess. I like that feedback type of mod that makes things more obvious and less annoyingly cryptic.

Also, I've been modding using the Steam Workshop, if I want to start using Nexus at some point, is there a best way to do this? Just uncheck all the .esp files in the launcher and unsubscribe in SW then get the nexus utility? Will it detect SW mods already?

ScRYeD

I just unsubscribed a few mods then deleted them now i'm getting shit fps. Getting between 28 and 70 fps, before I was getting between 70 and 140+ fps :( I wonder what happened.

Tifou

Banned
I'm new to the ENB mod and preset thing. It look very nice on screenshot but look very complicated to install or configure.

Will I get a big FPS hit ?

what you guys recommend me to use ? I want to add some life to the game color

my current list of mods:

cIyXV.jpg

Guys, I am having a problem with the shadows on my machine and I was wondering whether anyone else has it. First of all their edges are completely pixelated and second, whenever I get close to one it shifts - rearranges its pixels for a brief and annoying second and then tends to stay put. Sorry for the explanations but it is the closest I can describe it.

Anyone has any idea what the problem might be?

For reference, I am running the game on max settings at 1080p. I have already tried the Shadows Striping fox mod but noticed no difference.

ScRYeD

Any trick to get this to work? When I install it following the directions Skyrim crashes immediately on starting. When I remove it, Skyrim runs fine (but ugly).

Have you got any gpu overclocking software running cause ENB hates them. Close any you have eg. MSI afterburner, rivatuner etc.

Guys, I am having a problem with the shadows on my machine and I was wondering whether anyone else has it. First of all their edges are completely pixelated and second, whenever I get close to one it shifts - rearranges its pixels for a brief and annoying second and then tends to stay put. Sorry for the explanations but it is the closest I can describe it.

Anyone has any idea what the problem might be?

For reference, I am running the game on max settings at 1080p. I have already tried the Shadows Striping fox mod but noticed no difference.

What's your system?

If you don't mind having a play I can give you my settings (which are probably to be considered "ultimate ultra" settings because I run 2x 7970 and I'm considering buying a third when they come down in price / when the 7990 comes out).

You need to modify the shadows settings in your .ini files.

I have these settings and I don't have any pixelation to my shadows at all (see my screenshots from today which will be following this post).

It's been discussed in this thread before, and maybe you should check out a couple of sites I recommend that help with tuning your game as well they are : HARDOCP Skyrim Tweaking Guide (this bad boy goes first, it's the best and most comprehensive to help your ini tweaking understanding IMO), Smoke On The Water and TweakGuides.com. The guides at the start of this thread, and the other Performance thread are also very useful.

I've posted this before, this will be the last time I post this, I don't mind helping but I don't feel like typing the same thing over and over any more after this :)

So, make sure these lines are like this in the following files:

Skyrim.ini
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=8192
bActorSelfShadowing=1

Skyrim.ini
iBlurDeferredShadowMask=24
fInteriorShadowDistance=3000.0000
fShadowDistance=8000.0000
iShadowMapResolution=8192
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=4096
iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=4096
iShadowMaskQuarter=4
iShadowFilter=3
iShadowMode=3
bTreesReceiveShadows=1

Basically what this will do will raise the shadow resolution much higher than you need to ensure that in all situations it's very 'sharp'. Now, the 'iBlurDeferredShadowMask=24' is what gives you 'soft shadows' if you raise this number it will continue to give you a more 'soft' edge to the shadows. A lot of people perfer a higher number than 24 (all the way out up to 64 which really blurs the edges of your shadows) however I'm a fan of keeping some artistic value and having some sharp edges on my shadows.

I've all but stopped looking at the Workshop. I don't like using it really. I'll post a few mods that I see as the day goes through, I'm not going to do a 'big' post today, going to post a bunch of analglyph screens soon. My god it is incredible what it ads to the game, I tried turning it off and going 'back' to the game without it, but there is no way I can ever play this game without it again. It's just not right any more without it.

Real Wildlife - keep an eye on this, it's planning on extending the number of different types of animals running around the world by 'hundreds', so that there aren't just one single type of each animal in the world. A very good idea.

Have you got any gpu overclocking software running cause ENB hates them. Close any you have eg. MSI afterburner, rivatuner etc.

I use RadeonPro for my graphics settings in Skyrim Exclusively. My in game AA is turned to 0, my in game AF is also 0 and I do it all through drivers. I have 16xEQMSAA on in my shots (enabled through RP).

Thanks ColonialRaptor.

I have an i7-2700k@4.5GHz a 570GTX and 16Gigs of Ram.

I will try your ini tweaks (I already have the resolution at 4096) and see how it goes.

Thanks again!

Thanks ColonialRaptor.

I have an i7-2700k@4.5GHz a 570GTX and 16Gigs of Ram.

I will try your ini tweaks (I already have the resolution at 4096) and see how it goes.

Thanks again!

Doubling it again to 8000 makes a big difference imo... huge actually.

You should have enough beef to handle it easy enough :)

Here's my screens for today... sorry for so many, but I couldn't pick and choose when I think they look this good.

If anything, I've got to work on the black levels during a bright day, but you can't be expected for there to be too much black when it's very bright out so there's that.

Here we go:

Edit - Too many to quote like that, so I fixed it. I am freaking in LOVE with Solitude. It's the most beautiful place that I've been to in the game so far - however I've heard Markarth is pretty nice as well. But damn... this place is extravagant, and the people here are making me re-think my decision's on which side to take in this war... I wonder if it's possible to turn my cloak half way through.

Piano

Banned
So I've been having a few crashing issues since the 1.4 update. Sometimes the game will hang indefinitely at a loading screen, other times it will suddenly CTD with no error message during gameplay or combat. Not sure if it's something the update introduced or if some of my mods aren't playing nice...

Can anyone tell me if any of these mods conflict with one another in any meaningful way? Or if I should change the load order?

S66Ya.png
tlPhs.png

All of the mods I've installed through Steam are minor. I guess I have a couple mods I installed way back outside of NMM but they were all pretty insignificant as well (Night sky and time on loading screen off the top of my head)

Also, has anyone tried the More Dynamic Shadows mod? It seems to make the lighting a bit too crazy and prone to wig out for my tastes.

JoeBoy101

Those settings for ENB are rather interesting and have some real neat effects. Love how it make metals look and the color it gives for deep water.

That said, its oversaturated all to hell and way to bright. Needs more tweaking. I'd mess with it more, but its dragging my framerate under 60 fps.

So I've been having a few crashing issues since the 1.4 update. Sometimes the game will hang indefinitely at a loading screen, other times it will suddenly CTD with no error message during gameplay or combat. Not sure if it's something the update introduced or if some of my mods aren't playing nice...

Can anyone tell me if any of these mods conflict with one another in any meaningful way? Or if I should change the load order?

S66Ya.png
tlPhs.png

All of the mods I've installed through Steam are minor. I guess I have a couple mods I installed way back outside of NMM but they were all pretty insignificant as well (Night sky and time on loading screen off the top of my head)

Also, has anyone tried the More Dynamic Shadows mod? It seems to make the lighting a bit too crazy and prone to wig out for my tastes.

It'll be wars in skyrim conflicting with Ragdoll or something else. In my experience, Wars in Skyrim basically only works by itself. Since I got rid of it my endless CTD and freezing issues have all but disappeared. I know it's such an appealing mod, but you've really got to fuck it off. There are other mods that can help to bring up the same affect, but unfortunately in it's current state it's just not worth it.

I'd be willing to wager that as soon as you get rid of Wars in Skyrim it won't happen any more.

I'd also suggest getting rid of these:
- killthemgenerals
- whiterun ferns
- dD - Easy Lift Bodies and Objects (keep the Ragdoll)
- killable_children (why would you want to kill children? Have you ever used it?)
- improved container names

Really, all of them are 'nice' to have, but don't really serve a distinct purpose and can cause conflicts with other mods. Unless you REALLY REALLY want them I'd suggest getting rid of them.

what hair mods are you using?

Lovely Hairstyles - it's mod number 7403

Those settings for ENB are rather interesting and have some real neat effects. Love how it make metals look and the color it gives for deep water.

That said, its oversaturated all to hell and way to bright. Needs more tweaking. I'd mess with it more, but its dragging my framerate under 60 fps.

Yeah, the metals look insane now thanks to this mod, and it's not really possible to give a really good showing with screens but it's the way the light moves within each of the dints, cracks and scratches... looks insane!

Today is all about getting this new ENB fixed up because those pics are pretty much at default with no tweaking... we'll see how things at the end of the day. I'll make a few saves and do some before and after's if I can. I definitely need more contracts and less saturation I think.

Enco

Killable children screws your game up.

I got a random thieves guild quest asking me to rob a kid.

I also saw some giant kids drinking in bars.

Tried the enb mod but it was too cartoony for me.

JoeBoy101

Today is all about getting this new ENB fixed up because those pics are pretty much at default with no tweaking... we'll see how things at the end of the day. I'll make a few saves and do some before and after's if I can. I definitely need more contracts and less saturation I think.

Mind uploading your ENB settings somewhere so I can try them out? Currently, the settings are making my game a touch unstable. :-/

Branson

So uh, I'm probably really late finding this and I'm probably sounding stupid, but I just noticed the space core mod puts the space core flying around in the skills screen.

Any trick to get this to work? When I install it following the directions Skyrim crashes immediately on starting. When I remove it, Skyrim runs fine (but ugly).

Interesting... so you just copy the files over from the directory of choice and it doesn't work?

Guys... gimme today to tune these settings and I'll put them up for y'all to try later.

I'm new to the ENB mod and preset thing. It look very nice on screenshot but look very complicated to install or configure.

Will I get a big FPS hit ?

what you guys recommend me to use ? I want to add some life to the game color

my current list of mods:

cIyXV.jpg

You can always just get someone's pre-cofigured config and plonk it in, no setup required. On the Nexus just search 'ENB' and you'll find hundreds of configs, be careful though, you're about to enter a whole new world :)

Top Bottom