• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Filing a PayPal dispute/chargeback because you no longer want an item? A dick move?

How is the place I'm buying it from relevant? They are a business like any other mom and pop shop. The point of contention is they refuse to cancel my order when it has not even entered the shipping process.

So we could read through their policies, among other things.

Maximus.

Welp, they responded to my follow-up email. No cancellation but I can return it with 30-days for a 15% restocking fee. Had no idea that was even the case and it really was not about that even. I buy a ton from them, nearly every release as I'm collector so saving or having to eat costs was not really me objective. Oh well.

Live and learn I guess or rather not rush to buy shit you might already have.

Weird...someone mentioned that in this thread earlier, yet you refused to acknowledge it...

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Dick move. Just get the item return it and pay the restocking fee. Oh and next time, know what you're buying, you have only yourself to blame.

It is a dick move. It was your mistake. And remember that a chargeback actually costs them money in the form, I think it's like $20, of a chargeback fee.

It's always a dick move to immediately file a paypal dispute/charge back. You contact the seller and cancel the normal way first. I think you said you did that and got no response?

In this case since they say no refunds/cancellations, yes it's a dick move regardless. Just resell the item.

If you don't like the policy don't shop with them in the future. If they honestly could still have just easily refunded you and not shipped the item, that is lousy customer care on their part. However they're still in the right imo since it is their policy.

LQX

Thanks for the replies. This is why I made the thread; to see if I was way off on feeling slighted. I did not even occur to me they would be charged a fee in the resulting charge-back. I had PayPal open and was ready and I'm now glad my ignorance and anger at the moment did not prevail. Still disappointed they would not work it out with me but I should have read up more on their "policy".

For me it's a dick move you decide after a month to return the item and there's no fault with it. Actually even after two weeks.

I did not even occur to me they would be charged a fee in the resulting charge-back.

They were already charged a fee for processing your payment, which they would have been out regardless of them choosing to refund you, cancel the order, or any other step.

The chargeback fee on top of that is something that every card company does. PayPal is extreme with it, but any chargeback from any card company is going to come with a fee to the merchant.

So, basically, they would be out Processing Fee + Chargeback fee.
And even if they just refunded you when you asked, they would still be out Processing Fee.

I'm honestly not sure how one can conduct business using a card (even strictly on the consumer end) and not know this.

Syriel

So yeah, am in the right seek PayPal dispute or am I going about this wrong? I requested cancellation, emailed them and nothing.

Wrong and un-ethical.

Charge back is for when the merchant fails to uphold its end of the purchase contract.

This is in the US isn't it? Boy, you got some shitty customer rights.
If this is in the UK they absolutely should have cancelled the moment you told them, no if's or but's about it under the 2014 Consumer Contracts Regulations.
Your right to cancel an order starts the moment you place your order and doesn't end until 14 days from the day you receive your goods.
It's pretty clear. If they refused the fault is entirely theirs.

Now if this is in the US I suggest lobbying for better consumer rights.

Apt101

If you contacted them shortly after ordering (like the same day) and were sure it hadn't shipped, I think you're in the right. No seller should be able to say it's a "policy" not to cancel an order that hasn't been completed.

Top Bottom