• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

(... unless you're Firefly, of course)

9kQFGZL.png

If you actually took NZT back in September, you would've already predicted everything by now. Just saying.

Welcome to the 2016-17 TV season cancellation thread! If you didn't hear about it, we're in the era of #PeakTV right now! Peak TV, Peak TV, Peak TV! And do you know what that means? Peak TV promises Peak cancellations as well! Who the hell has time to watch upwards of 500 English primetime shows from America alone? I know there's a few of you that just rewatches all 10 episodes of BBC's Sherlock every month. You sick basement dweller. Go watch something new already.

First: Why should you care? To quote Stump, from many moons ago:
Stumpokapow said:
Why care about cancellations?
- You don't want to follow a show that's going to get canned after a cliffhanger and then bitch endlessly how unfair it is that you never get to find out what would have happened.
- The faster shows are cancelled in the fall, the sooner you'll get to see midseason returning favourites and other new shows held for the midseason.
- Networks have a finite amount of time and space. The more shows get cancelled, the more pilots get commissioned, the more shows that are ordered to show, the more new shows you get to watch in the future.
- Ask yourself whether or not there are more shows cancelled before their time (OMG VERONICA MARS JOURNEYMAN JOHN FROM CINCINNATI TERRIERS FERRIS BUELLER THE TV SHOW CANCELLED BEFORE THEIR TIME!) or more shows that run years too long, spiral around the drain, decline in quality, and need to be put out of their mercy?

RyYe1Vh.png

Not all shows deserve a happy ending. Or an ending. I don't know why you bother.

ABC:
Agent Carter
Blood & Oil
Castle
The Family
Galavant
The Muppets
Nashville (moved to CMT)
Of Kings and Prophets
Uncle Buck
Wicked City

CBS:
Angel from Hell
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
CSI: Cyber
The Good Wife
Limitless
Mike & Molly
Person of Interest
Rush Hour
Supergirl (moved to The CW)

The CW:
America's Next Top Model (moved to VH1)
Beauty & the Beast
Containment

FOX:
American Idol
Bordertown
Cooper Barrett's Guide to Surviving Life
Coupled
Grandfathered
The Grinder
Houdini & Doyle
Minority Report
Second Chance

NBC:
Best Time Ever with Neil Patrick Harris
Crowded
Game of Silence
Heartbeat
Heroes Reborn
The Mysteries of Laura
The Player
Telenovela
Truth Be Told
Undateable
You, Me and the Apocalypse

Other:
ivysaur12's attendance (NeoGAF)
Vinyl and possibly most of the rest of HBO's drama slate (HBO)
Togetherness (HBO)
The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore (Comedy Central)
Feed the Beast (AMC, desperately trying to be HBO by doing everything they do down to a T)
Gravity Falls (Disney XD)
Unforgettable (A&E, clearly not)
Hunters (SyFy)
Hell on Wheels (AMC)
Royal Pains (USA, and now the long national nightmare is over)
House of Lies (Showtime)
Penny Dreadful (Showtime)
Recovery Road (ABC Family Freeform)
MythBusters (Discovery Channel)
Faking It (MTV)
Banshee (Cinemax)
Rizzoli & Isles (TNT)

WJPY1U5.png

Episodes

Bones (Hopefully their bones will never be found)

Girls (But where will all the thinkpieces go?)

The Vampire Diaries (Vampires never die, they only get cancelled. Or staked. Or burst into flames in the sun.)

Teen Wolf (I guess this werewolf fought some vampire diaries and died)

Orphan Black (like the show, the copies of the people it made had a limited lifespan too)

Grimm (what is with all this supernatural stuff anyway?)

Pretty Little Liars

DKKHYTv.png

Big Brother
NCIS
Narcos
Stranger Things
Killjoys
Dark Matter
Survivor's Remorse
Mr. Robot
Last Chance U
Homeland
Ray Donovan
Zoo

Remember all the fun we had last year? When you thought [your favourite show] was definitely going to be renewed?

2015-16 Thread

Remember to all give praise and thanks to our lord ivysaur, who led us through the desert into the promised land, until it was cancelled in the third season after executive meddling during sweeps. I mean, really, no one wanted Rebecca and Ibrahim to get together at all. They were more like brother and sister. And the promised land was all CGI and montages in the slapdash finale anyway. I can't believe I put three years of my life into that disaster. Ugh. I need to fire my agent.

image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Still bummed about Limitless and I think the worst ending has to go to Castle. What a fucking mess that was.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
that midseason show about the girl loving her dog and the dog talks and it's a show about a dog is going to be cancelled in like 2 episodes

edit: downward dog

Subbed

Don't we normally have a poll or a contest for which of these fall shows is getting the axe first? Gotta be either Lethal Weapon or McGuyver, both of which look absolutely awful.

Raxus

Ban this sick filth.

Your favorite show and/or anime is shit.

Also, watch iZombie and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend god damn it!
Subbed

Don't we normally have a poll or a contest for which of these fall shows is getting the axe first? Gotta be either Lethal Weapon or McGuyver, both of which look absolutely awful.
It'll be an NBC show nobody gives a fuck about.

Also, I predict Powerless will be the bomb hard as my crazy prediction.

Sober

that midseason show about the girl loving her dog and the dog talks and it's a show about a dog is going to be cancelled in like 2 episodes

I literally cannot understand how both Allison Tolman and Lucas Neff got roped into that project.

Like, blackmail?

No way, that's gonna end up like 'Til Death where it's terrible and no one watches but it still somehow hits the minimum number of episodes for syndication.

G0523

Ahh, new thread for a new season! Can't wait to see all the new shows this fall (and the bloodbath of cancellations). I wonder how long the first cancellation will take this fall. It seems that every channel is holding out since they learned last year that you can't cancel everything immediately.

How is it then when people become successful they suddenly don't got time to waste on useless activity on the internet? WHY

Googling NZT is actually fun though. That website. :D
Almost makes me want to watch the show.

Surprised Braindead isn't confirmed on the list yet though. Amazon might let it live, but I doubt CBS will.

Sober

How is it then when people become successful they suddenly don't got time to waste on useless activity on the internet? WHY

Googling NZT is actually fun though. That website. :D

garywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhitta

garywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhittagarywhitta

What the hell does "success" and "Gary Whitta" have to do with each other?

berzeli

Banned
Great work on the thread Sober.
ivysaur12's attendance (NeoGAF)
:(
Feed the Beast (AMC, desperately trying to be HBO by doing everything they do down to a T)
So good.

I am morbidly curious about this one. I love dogs, I loved Allison Tolman in Fargo (but then again, who didn't), and of course I love trash TV. Will watch.

Sober, contain thyself!
(ha, in programming and logic sets that would be a system crashing paradox. Oh, right, homonym... sad)

What the hell does "success" and "Gary Whitta" have to do with each other?

Dammit, I was going to make that joke. Now you forced me to say "Written any Star Wars movies recently, champ?" instead. YOU DID THIS

what happened to vysaur12'?

went on to play dirty with Brian Fuller. Not sure if he's on Star Trek writing staff now though. One hell of an opportunity, so him bugging out is only natural. Hope it will be worth it for him (and me as a viewer, because it's Star Trek, of course I'm watching).

kevin1025

Banned
Hurray, new thread! I look forward to the new TV season, even if networks seem to be doubling down on iffy trends. Apart from that, there's some intriguing new cable comedies (or half-hours disguised as comedies), some shows finally happening (Westworld and possibly Taboo?), and some new blips on the radar. Not to mention the returning shows!

To the cable box (or streaming site/app)!

I didn't realize Pretty Little Liars was ending. Yay I can finally catch up. Also CSI: Cyber's cancellation will never not be painful. They ended before they could take on Pokemon Go. :'(

Sober

A CSI: Cyber episode about Pokemon Go was what the world needed.
Someone literally found a dead body because of it so I feel like they've been topped.

Unless it involved James Van Der Beek using Pokemon GO to find the murderer by pretending to be a Pokemon or something.

I'm still sad about the passing of Galavant and Limitless, more the latter since Galavant at least got some closure.

I'm not going to be back for Blindspot's second season, the first season was alright to bleh and hokey tattoo gimmick got played out before mid-season, there's not enough there to have kept me hooked and it didn't become "must watch" and more of a "well, I have nothing else to watch, I might as well get back to this".

Sober

Fun fact: I posted last year's thread to the exact date and hour and minute of the previous thread. I don't think anyone noticed. Too bad the 14-15 thread was removed (probably at request of Ivy) so you guys won't be able to see for yourselves.

Unfortunately I have to work this evening so the best I could do was exactly the same date last year.

Why? I have no idea why.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Fun fact: I posted last year's thread to the exact date and hour and minute of the previous thread. I don't think anyone noticed. Too bad the 14-15 thread was removed (probably at request of Ivy)

This may have been accidental, there are weird things associated with removing OPs from threads deleting the thread, it's weird. One sec.

The 2014-2015 thread
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=890171

Time after time.

But it's got a hot HG Wells and Jack the Ripper is just a dream!

God... It was long enough just as a movie, stretching that out for 12+ hours... Yikes. Coincidentally while finally doing my "what I'm watching" list I saw it's not on ABC's schedule yet, so I imagine it'll be mid-season. I'm a sucker for time travel so I'm still considering giving it a chance but my expectations are very low and I'm pretty sure I won't be in its target audience.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
So what did Feed the Beast do to try and imitate HBO??

Also I feel like there is nothing going on really with network TV or cable really for that matter.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lethal Weapon won't make it to season 2. I could see MacGyver getting a second season. All of the sci-fi police procedurals like Time After Time and Timeless are definitely toast in one season, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom