• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiktaalik

Is there anyone pushing PR for Quebec provincial politics? It clearly needs it the most out of any province.

There are so many parties and obviously significant groups of voters that have no real party that represents their position and which are severely compromising.

Is there anyone pushing PR for Quebec provincial politics? It clearly needs it the most out of any province.

There are so many parties and obviously significant groups of voters that have no real party that represents their position and which are severely compromising.
PLQ are mum silent on the issue. They have benefitted from FPTP since 2003 (including an 18 month stint as official opposition.)

CAQ wants to open up talks about debating electoral reform. Prefered type unclear.

PQ losing steam also wants to open up talks on electroal reform, Prefered type unclear

QS is pushing for Mixed-member proportional representation but not PR.

---------

fun fact, the PLQ were the vicitm of FPTP in 1998 where they won the popular vote but lost electorally to the PQ (majority LOL)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_general_election,_1998

PQ popular vote 42.87%; won 76 seats.
PLQ popular vote 43.55%, won 48 seats.
ADQ popular vote 11.81%, won 1 seat.

CAQ wants to open up talks about debating electoral reform. Prefered type unclear.

PQ losing steam also wants to open up talks on electroal reform, Prefered type unclear

Didn't they both say last year that they wanted mixed-member proportional? I could swear I saw Legault on TV saying that.

imBask

Banned

trre.gif

I know you're just reporting here but man, that's such BS

Didn't they both say last year that they wanted mixed-member proportional? I could swear I saw Legault on TV saying that.

possibly, but it is not on their party's website
trre.gif

I know you're just reporting here but man, that's such BS
pretty much why I don't trust them or believe them (PQ and CAQ) when it comes to serious talks on electoral reform.

I personnally do want some type of reform because I never ever won a riding Provincially in my entire adult life, (strategic voting one time not counting.)

imBask

Banned
possibly, but it is not on their party's website

pretty much why I don't trust them or believe them (PQ and CAQ) when it comes to serious talks on electoral reform.

I personnally do want some type of reform because I never ever won a riding Provincially in my entire adult life, (strategic voting one time not counting.)

I live in Lisée's riding so my vote literally goes in the trash bin

I live in Lisée's riding so my vote literally goes in the trash bin
Not necessarily, much QS support from neighboring ridings spills into Rosemont.

If Gilles Duceppe can lose twice Federally in Laurier-Ste-Marie; I am pretty sure there are enough votes in Rosement (Provincially) to defeat Lisée

mo60

PLQ are mum silent on the issue. They have benefitted from FPTP since 2003 (including an 18 month stint as official opposition.)

QS is pushing for Mixed-member proportional representation but not PR.

---------

fun fact, the PLQ were the vicitm of FPTP in 1998 where they won the popular vote but lost electorally to the PQ (majority LOL)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_general_election,_1998

PQ popular vote 42.87%; won 76 seats.
PLQ popular vote 43.55%, won 48 seats.
ADQ popular vote 11.81%, won 1 seat.

FPTP was also pretty bad in the 1994 election. PQ wins by like a third of a percent and gets like 30 more seats then the PLQ.The 1968 election was even worse then both the 1994 and 1994 QC elections,

FPTP was also pretty bad in the 1994 election. PQ wins by like a third of a percent and gets like 30 more seats then the PLQ.The 1968 election was even worse then both the 1994 and 1994 QC elections,

1994 , forgot about that one.
0.35% difference between the two but with a 30 seat difference

maharg

idspispopd
Mixed-member proportional representation but not PR.

Regular reminder that proportional representation is a class of electoral system, that few places in the world uses a straight and simplistic votes->representation system(*), and that mmpr is a proportional system by most measurements.

* and that such a system is just plain untenable in Canada's legal framework anyways and no one is advocating for it at all.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
New report alleges outside influence in Canada's 2015 federal election

Foreign money funnelled towards Canadian political advocacy groups affected the outcome of the 2015 federal election, according to a document filed last week with Elections Canada and obtained exclusively by the Herald.

The 36-page report entitled: Elections Canada Complaint Regarding Foreign Influence in the 2015 Canadian Election, alleges third parties worked with each other, which may have bypassed election spending limits — all of which appears to be in contravention of the Canada Elections Act.

Ugghhhhhhh what's going on?

SRG01

You get election meddling!
You get election meddling!
Everyone gets election meddling!

In all seriousness, this may be a big nothing burger as the complaint was submitted by Canada Decides, which is essentially a former CPC MP and a PoliSci student from U of T.

From the text -- quoting from the Edmonton Journal copy:

In total, the 114 third parties spent $6 million and many of those third parties were funded by California-and New York-based Tides Foundation — which is known in Canada for holding numerous anti-Canadian oil campaigns.

In 2015, Tides Foundation donated $1.5 million of U.S. money to Canadian third parties in the election year, according to the report.

In the grand scheme of the election, that isn't a lot of money. Third party interest groups, as knee-jerkingly bad as they may seem, do serve as legitimate political representation especially for specific issues.

On the other hand, Linda Frum, and Yves Cote in response to her question, does make a good point about donations being made outside of the writ period, in that this loophole could open the doors for unlimited political funding by outside parties. Where I differ from her is the solution to the problem, whereby a limit to donations outside of the writ period would be much more effective than banning foreign donations outright.

Ondore

On the other hand, Linda Frum, and Yves Cote in response to her question, does make a good point about donations being made outside of the writ period, in that this loophole could open the doors for unlimited political funding by outside parties. Where I differ from her is the solution to the problem, whereby a limit to donations outside of the writ period would be much more effective than banning foreign donations outright.

Would removing the fixed election date law help in this regard as well? I mean, it's hard to determine what's outside the writ when the writ is basically "whenever the PM is ready".

Pedrito

This has Ezra's finger prints all over it. His crew was whining non stop about Tides, Leadnow and Soros during and after the election. The college student involved organised a conference with Ezra and his pals at U of T in February.

If anything illegal was done or if there are loopholes to close, hopefully it will be dealt with, but it's once again the Rebel trying to create the news.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Next QC government will be a minority PLQ or CAQ, with PQ in second opposition.

The CAQ will go for the independence-but-not-indepedence mantra, and the PLQ's attempts constantly label them separatists won't work, it will sound like crying wolf, it will only work against the PQ but the PQ will be obviously not the ones they need to spend time attacking, they can't get their voters, so the independence stuff will be left behind to fight over between QS and the PQ. People will see that to get rid of the PLQ you have to vote CAQ as their momentum continues to rise, and a big protest vote will favor the CAQ at the expense of the PQ and a bit of the PLQ.

No idea where QS will end in all this, they'll have to pick between doubling down on independence to catch the PQ dropouts, in which case it shifts attention away from their platform which would displease a lot of their own supporters, or they'll remain uneasy with it and the PQ and QS will fight each other into irrelevance during the campaign like crazy people. I doubt QS will do more than get four seats, the CAQ will sweep most of the PQ's.

Vibranium

Banned
Oh my god, it's been updated, the NDP is back in the lead. Please let this hold, I need a little positivity and hope for BC's political future (an NDP and Green one).

Next QC government will be a minority PLQ or CAQ, with PQ in second opposition.

The CAQ will go for the independence-but-not-indepedence mantra, and the PLQ's attempts at constantly shifting to labeling them separatists won't work against them, it will sound like crying wolf, it will only work against the PQ. People will see that to get rid of the PLQ you have to vote CAQ as their momentum continues to rise, and a big protest vote will favor the CAQ at the expense of the PQ and a bit of the PLQ.

No idea where QS will end in all this, they'll have to pick between doubling down on independence to catch the PQ dropouts, in which case it shifts attention away from their platform which would displease a lot of their own supporters, or they'll remain uneasy with it and the PQ and QS will fight each other into irrelevance. I doubt QS will do more than get four seats, the CAQ will sweep most of the PQ's.
the CAQ is not going to go with the seperatist mantra,
the CAQ will just embrace identiy ethnic-nationalism in the Marine Le Pen model.

CAQ vs PQ competing on the Right for ubber-nationalism will vote split them in favor for the PLQ to squeek through.

now about QS; they hurt the PQ allot more on the Left than they help themselves.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
the CAQ is not going to go with the seperatist mantra,
the CAQ will just embrace identiy ethnic-nationalism in the Marine Le Pen model.

CAQ vs PQ competing on the Right for ubber-nationalism will vote split them in favor for the PLQ to squeek through.

now about QS; they hurt the PQ allot more on the Left than they help themselves.

CAQ will not go for separatism, obviously, I said they'll go for "independent but not really", essentially "We want to have a greater say over how money is spent, we'll make sure we defend Quebec's interests in a united Canada, blah blah blah". If you think that doesn't work you don't get it, very easy to get this through for them and not waste their time over "separatism".

I agree it's more likely that the PLQ will win, but it will be either one with a slim majority, CAQ has a chance and it will accelerate from here on out. PLQ can't really remake its lost ground.

Whatever the case, PQ is toast, won't likely come back after this.

CAQ will not go for separatism, obviously, I said they'll go for "independent but not really", essentially "We want to have a greater say over how money is spent, we'll make sure we defend Quebec's interests in a united Canada, blah blah blah". If you think that doesn't work you don't get it, very easy to get this through for them and not waste their time over "separatism".

I agree it's more likely that the PLQ will win, but it will be either one with a slim majority, CAQ has a chance and it will accelerate from here on out. PLQ can't really remake its lost ground.

Whatever the case, PQ is toast, won't likely come back after this.

I agree that the PQ is toast; Lisée fucked up. He thought he was so smart.. hubris

the CAQ will never form govenment as long as they are unable to elect one MNA on the Island of MTL

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I agree that the PQ is toast; Lisée fucked up. He thought he was so smart.. hubris

the CAQ will never form govenment as long as they are unable to elect one MNA on the Island of MTL

Yeah they won't do much in Montreal, but again, a protest vote can skew numbers quite heavily.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So fake news made it to Alberta and white people started protesting at a high school believing students were enacting sharia law on each other? At least I can take solace from the fact that we're as stupid as America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom