• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giro d'Italia 2017 |OT|

Fonds

logo.png

Friday the 5th of may, the Grand Tour season kicks off with the 100th edition of the Giro d'Italia.

Please feel free to discuss the event in this thread.

THE PARCOURS

THE STAGES

Date Stage Distance Type

1 Fri 5-5 Alghero – Olbia 206,0 km Flat
2 Sa 6-5 Olbia – Tortolì 211,0 km Hills
3 Sun 7-5 Tortolì – Cagliari 148,0 km Flat

Mon 8-5 Rest day

4 Tue 9-5 Cefalù – Etna 181,0 km Mountains
5 Wed 10-5 Pedara – Messina 159,0 km Hills, flat finish
6 Thu 11-5 R. Calabria – T. Luigiane 217,0 km Finish uphill
7 Fri 12-5 Castrov. – Alberobello 224,0 km Flat
8 Sat 13-5 Molfetta – Peschici 189,0 km Hills, flat finish
9 Sun 14-5 Mont. d. Bisaccia – Blockhaus 152,0 km Climbing finish

Mon 15-5 Rest day

10 Tue 16-5 Foligno – Montefalco 39,8 km Time Trial
11 Wed 17-5 Firenze – Bagno di Romagna 161,0 km Hills
12 Thu 18-5 Forlì – Reggio Emilia 234,0 km Hills, Sprint finish
13 Fri 19-5 Reggio Emilia – Tortona 167,0 km Flat
14 Sat 20-5 Castellania – Oropa 131,0 km Climbing finish
15 Sun 21-5 Valdengo – Bergamo 199,0 km Hills, flat finish

Mon 22-5 Rest day

16 Tue 23-5 Rovetta – Bormio 222,0 km Mountains
17 Wed 24-5 Tirano – Canazei 219,0 km Mountains
18 Thu 25-5 Moena – Ortisei/St. Ulrich 137,0 km Mountains
19 Fri 26-5 S. Candido/Innichen – Piancavallo 191,0 km Mountains
20 Sat 27-5 Pordenone – Asiago 190,0 km Mountains
21 Sun 28-5 Monza – Milaan 27,6 km Time Trial

100TH EDITION WINNER - TOM DUMOULIN

FINAL STANDINGS GENERAL CLASSIFICATION

Position Rider Time
Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Sunweb
90:34:54
Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team
0:00:31
Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Bahrain-Merida
0:00:40
Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ
0:01:17
Ilnur Zakarin (Rus) Katusha-Alpecin
0:01:56
Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale
0:03:11
Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek-Segafredo
0:03:41
Bob Jungels (Lux) Quick-Step Floors
0:07:04
Adam Yates (GBr) Orica-Scott
0:08:10
Davide Formolo (Ita) Cannondale-Drapac
0:15:17

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Wow at Cannondale's lineup, guess they're just stage hunting this year (again). But knowing how well they execute tactics, even that would be a stretch.

Kruijswijk-Pinot 2017!

Also, the descending award is kinda nuts. I can already see an ambitious neo-pro crashing because of it.

Fonds

It's not like i can get home from work since the road will be blocked anwyay, so might as well check it out :)

Nice, make sure to post some snapshots ;)
The TDF departure was in my hometown of Utrecht a few years back.
It was a nice treat to have the entire circus come around to about 5 minutes from where I live :)

Ruruja

Hey everyone,

If you're interested you can create a fantasy team for this at https://www.velogames.com.

You get 100 points to pick a team with and you have that team throughout the Giro, so pick wisely.

Once you've made your team, you can join the NeoGAF league I created with the code: 44020942586.

Thanks for making the thread!

Charamiwa

Banned
Hoping for Pinot to do something, without all the pressure of the Tour de France. Let's see in what way he will disappoint this time.

Fonds

Hey everyone,

If you're interested you can create a fantasy team for this at https://www.velogames.com.

You get 100 points to pick a team with and you have that team throughout the Giro, so pick wisely.

Once you've made your team, you can join the NeoGAF league I created with the code: 44020942586.

Thanks for making the thread!

Awesome! I'll def make a team later on :)

Thank for the thread! It's been a phenomenal year of cycling so far, hopefully the great racing carries into the grand tours. Fantasy league sounds fun!

Joni

Thank for the thread! It's been a phenomenal year of cycling so far, hopefully the great racing carries into the grand tours. Fantasy league sounds fun!

Too bad we won't have Gilbert in the Giro. He would have been ready to act 'crazy' from time to time.

kottila

The cycling podcast (hosted by three of the greatest englishspeaking cycling journalists/authors) are travelling with the giro and doing daily podcasts. Subscribe even if you're not following the giro, it's a great podcast

FrankCanada97

Astana is racing with only 8 riders in honour of Michele Scarponi.

And the descending award is kind of silly, we don't really need gimmicks like that. I still remember watching video of Weylandt after his crash. Zakarin's crash last year gave made me anxious, I hope it doesn't encourage riders to make unnecessary risks.

Fonds

Yeah I hope we wont see things go wrong because of this addition.

And what gives with Katusha's line-up?!
Is it still tbd this close before the start?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Ooh, I nearly forgot it's time for the Giro. Man, April really flew right by. I'll have to figure out how I can follow things while I'm in Iceland this weekend.

Glad the most beautiful Grand Tour is starting again. The Spring Classics were amazing this year (especially for Belgium) so I hope this level of excitement continues in Italy. It sucks that Sporza lost the rights to Italian races so I will probably have to watch on Eurosport. Any alternatives because I have no interest in missing the final because of a fucking commercial break.

Also good on scrapping the descent trophy. While I absolutely love technical and fast descents, taking such risks shouldn't be motivated.

Joni

Glad the most beautiful Grand Tour is starting again. The Spring Classics were amazing this year (especially for Belgium) so I hope this level of excitement continues in Italy. It sucks that Sporza lost the rights to Italian races so I will probably have to watch on Eurosport. Any alternatives because I have no interest in missing the final because of a fucking commercial break.

Also good on scrapping the descent trophy. While I absolutely love technical and fast descents, taking such risks shouldn't be motivated.

Oh damn it, I forgot that includes the Giro.

Ruruja

They don't show commercials during the last ~15km usually.

FrankCanada97

I was just reading about how Cannondale was going to approach the Giro:

No leader, no plan, no expectations.

lol

A Thread for the superior grand tour?

Nice.

Will be interesting to see what Nibali can do.

Whole race will feel sad without Scarponi. May he RIP

Fonds

I was just reading about how Cannondale was going to approach the Giro:

No leader, no plan, no expectations.

lol

Yeah their team manager has some inspirational story about how they can explore their limits and opportunities without restraints.
I'm guessing the result will be an un organized sob story in the back of the peleton.

Anyone know if this is being broadcasted at all in the US? Last year BeIN had it but just looking over the schedule it seems they don't have the rights.

Charamiwa

Banned
In France this Giro is kind of a big deal (relatively speaking) because on top of being the 100th it's also the first time in a long while that it will be broadcasted on a free channel. They've been showing all the italian races leading up to it, and going all out on the Pinot narrative to give the french casuals something to look forward too. It's definitely an exciting time.

teepo

Anyone know if this is being broadcasted at all in the US? Last year BeIN had it but just looking over the schedule it seems they don't have the rights.

http://www.steephill.tv/2017/giro-d-italia/fubo-giro-d-itallia-usa-broadcast-details.html

and here i was, all excited to discover my dad's cable provider had beIN for streaming

edit: scrolling to the bottom of the page, there is an update that has a killer deal that reduces the cost from $43.99 to $13.99. i can live with that

Fonds

So today marks the start of the Giro!

I'll update the thread to reflect the standings and daily results.

On a sidenote, just before the start two riders from Bardiani have been banned due to substance abuse.

Bardiani Riders tested positive to growth hormone

UCI still has to take a decision but the entire team might be banned according to regulations.

bjaelke

Looks like I joined the league just before the deadline. Thought it was at 2 pm so wasn't exactly rushing to get it done.

Good sneaky win from the Bora guy. Keep going while everyone else was more interested in positioning. The headwind and technical nature of the last few km's helped.

FrankCanada97

Thirteen seconds isn't insurmountable, still early goings. For stage 2, is that last climb hard enough to create splits? I can't imagine it being easy to stay away after the descent with 10kms of flat.

kch

Amazing day for Bora. Team coach said this first stage exeeded their golds for the Giro so the team can just chill for three weeks now :) Getting all jerseys for the 2nd stage is quite cool!
Will be fun to see what Dumoulin and Pinot can do against Nibali and Quintana. Loads of excellent riders this Giro! Exciting times ahead.

Amazing day for Bora. Team coach said this first stage exeeded their golds for the Giro so the team can just chill for three weeks now :) Getting all jerseys for the 2nd stage is quite cool!
Bora at the Giro can chill while Bora at Cali will still have to work while pulling for Sagan at Amgen
not really lol

We saw the Grand Depart of the TdF last year at Mont St. Michel, and were intending to see some stages of the Giro this year but we just couldn't get our shit together to get there in time. Can't wait to watch the footage tonight either way, yay for tour season being back.

Wait, is NBC not streaming this? I don't see anything on their site. CRANKY PANDA.

Top Bottom