• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the point of making your bed every morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazmat

I almost never make my bed. I guess it looks better, but aside from one particular kind of visitor most company I have doesn't go in my bedroom.

Lautaro

Shit and I thought I was a lazy fuck. I make my bed because I haven't stop giving a shit about my living space. Gotta keep a minimum of discipline in your life.

EDIT: oh the morning! right, leave it open for a few hours before making it. In the army we used to fold it open very tight so its easier to make later.

Vyrance

I only put the mattress sheet on. Have never cared for getting under covers unless it's cold, so I don't use them at all. Only thing I have to do each morning is arrange the pillows.

Jarsonot

I think if you enjoy a made bed then that's the point - you enjoy it.

I don't like a made bed. I intentionally "mess up" hotel beds before I get into them. Why would I intentionally make my bed less comfortable? I suppose if the aesthetics bothered me, but nope. =)

Peccavi

The correct answer is the appeal.

When you are tired as fuck at night which would you rather jump into?

1)
10-steps-to-making-the-perfect-bed-beds.jpg

2)

I personally don't make my bed, but absolutely love staying at hotels knowing my bed looks so appealing to jump into at night.

The real question is why do hotels always tuck in the goddamn sheets instead of just leaving them loose so I can get into the dingdang bed?!

1)

2)

I personally don't make my bed, but absolutely love staying at hotels knowing my bed looks so appealing to jump into at night.

If you were actually tired you wouldn't care

Mossybrew

I think if you enjoy a made bed then that's the point - you enjoy it.

I don't like a made bed. I intentionally "mess up" hotel beds before I get into them. Why would I intentionally make my bed less comfortable? I suppose if the aesthetics bothered me, but nope. =)

Seriously, getting into a well made bed in like sliding into a straightjacket. No thanks.

i ain't a slob(for the most part)

it's fine if you're living by yourself, but when you're trying to bring some into the bedroom I makes you room look cleaner(imo)

We own a Japanese futon and so folding up our blankets and putting it away to the side of the room gives us our entire bedroom back instead of being completely taken up by a bed that is only used 8 hours a day.

I get it, and I'm lazy enough to not do my bed unless I need to.

I've learned to appreciate the discipline aspect of doing your bed everyday though.

.JayZii

Banned
Need to get to sleep in a hurry? Dump a pile of blankets on the floor and sleep on the floor like a animal you piece of shit.

Hazmat

It looks like we can add "making your bed every morning" to things GAFfers get a weird sense of superiority from along with "comparison shopping on each item of each supermarket trip" and "eating the end slices of bread."

Knoxcore

I used to have a friend who only made his bed when he was going to have sex. I make my bed every morning. It's a habit.

Stasis

I just remove my blankets/duvet and put them in a basket in the closet before I leave, otherwise it becomes a cat paradise all day.

They sleep on the bed anyway but it's easy to brush fur off a fitted sheet.

I still make the bed before I get in it, and wash everything frequently. I feel like it's something most people will care about more as they get older. I love a freshly made clean bed. Maybe it's mental, but I feel more comfy =P

SeanTSC

I vaguely straighten out the quilt/comforter/whatever you want to call it and that's good enough for me. Also, can't stand the in between bed sheets and never put them on, just the one that goes over the mattress.

Jarsonot

This thread has so many good analogies.

I think it's pretty close. The only purpose to making a bed is looks and maybe a feeling of accomplishment. You could get both by folding dirty clothes.

It's a better analogy than showering or wiping your ass. =)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's the one habit that's always oversold by your parents as mattering until you become an adult and realize nobody really cares and it doesn't matter, and if they do care that's probably a better indicator of a shitty person than for someone that doesn't make their bed.

A cool bed can be better for actually getting to sleep, though. Lowering your core temp and all that. But yeah, for busy people with busy lives, couldn't matter less and it's one of the easiest ways to add a minute to your day.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

1)

2)

Hotel beds are filthy.

.JayZii

Banned
I think it's pretty close. The only purpose to making a bed is looks and maybe a feeling of accomplishment. You could get both by folding dirty clothes.

It's a better analogy than showering or wiping your ass. =)
It feels more like an "I'm not weird, YOU"RE weird!" kind of response. It's fine if you don't want to make you're bed, but comparing it to weirdo behavior like folding your dirty clothes is a little odd.

Making your bed is the same as any kind of straightening up people do around the house. Sure, you can leave things piled up on your floors, tables and kitchen counters. Straightening up isn't the same as washing those surfaces, but a lot of people like to keep their living space tidy.

Drahcir

YMMV, but I used to have bad experiences with critters, like spiders, that liked to hide in the crevices of unfolded blankets. It stopped when I routinely made my bed.

1)

2)

The second picture looks way more comfy tbh

RC

Banned
I'm currently with a woman who makes her damn bed every single morning and will give me heck if I'm the last one to get up and don't make it.

I haven't made my bed since I was a child, its completely pointless unless you have guest coming over.

Red UFO

I'm so glad that in the UK we don't have the insane setups you Americans have on your beds with your sheets and comforters and whatnot. Just a mattress, fitted sheet and a blanket.

I'm so glad that in the UK we don't have the insane setups you Americans have on your beds with your sheets and comforters and whatnot. Just a mattress, fitted sheet and a blanket.
What are you talking about? That's the same thing in the US. Anything more is just people being fancy, which also exists in the U.K.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
It's a complete waste of time. If you prefer a neatly tucked set of sheets, by all means do what you want. Personally I want my sheet free and not tucked in, so it's literally just a waste to make it unless people are going to see it.

Luckily my parents didn't give a fuck either and never forced me to make my bed and encouraged me to do chores that actually contributed some value instead. And my wife doesn't care now.

gatling

Because being in a bed where you don't feel like a damn chrysalis at night is great. Fresh sheets and a heavy comforter is bliss.

Banned
I don't make my bed, but I do fold my blanket over itself at the end of the bed when I wake up. That way, it looks nice and when I go back to bed I can just pull the blanket over myself.

H2Yo

I never understood the obsession in regards to making your bed each morning. You're just gonna mess it up again at night.

Do you make your bed every morning? If so, why?

1. It looks like shit when you don't make your bed.
2. The doona has time to settle giving you a nice cool blanket.
3. Spiders can't crawl into a freshly made bed.
4. Messy bed is unattractive to a partner.
5. Extends the freshness when you have changed your linens.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I have a murphy bed and a larger living room as a result. I don't get the point of a separate bedroom.

kingofrod

what's the point of showering? you're just gonna get dirty again anyway.
what's the point of ironing your clothes? you're just gonna get them wrinkled again anyway.
what's the point of eating good food? it's just going to turn into shit anyway.

I know you're joking, but I agree with at least two of those points.

Rbk_3

My wife and I use our own blankets so we never make our bed unless someone is coming over and may see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom