• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF’s Official Game Soundtracks of the Year 2012: Results and Archive

AJTsuki

Neo Member
Survey Your answers to this (optional) short survey will help us improve the topic for next year.

1) Voting: I do like the current system, though I could have easily done a top 5.

2) Archive: The comprehensive approach helps me discover soundtracks, which I love, but it must be an awful lot of work.

3) Eligibility: Being more strict would limit the size of the archive and provide a better representation of the year in music. Re-releases and special editions are important, but can be shared and talked about in other threads.

4) Comment Requirement: My initial reaction to this question was "yes", but that's because I like to add comments. But it's important to get lots of input to have as representational a final list as possible. I thinking voting is enough.

5) Anything else: I've only been posting to NeoGAF for about a year and this has been my favorite thread to follow. Thank you for all the work you put in to making it happen!

Your answers to this (optional) short survey will help us improve the topic for next year.

1. Voting
No complaints from me, though I can understand why people who play more games would want a top 5.

2. Archive
You should probably be more selective, otherwise you'll end up with bizarre entries like Rosenkreuzstilette Freudenstachel and Takkoman which only one lone weirdo voted for (let's call him 'AHB' to protect his identity).

I'm kidding of course. I like the comprehensive approach, but then I would. Perhaps you could ask people who vote for obscure choices to provide tracks/links etc to cut down on your work?

3. Eligibility
I'd be fine with licensed soundtracks and ports being excluded.

4. Comment Requirement
It'd make the thread more interesting to read, sure, but I agree with those that've said it's often difficult to describe why you like a particular track/OST. So I don't think a comment should be a requirement. Posting a link to a track, on the other hand, I'd have no problem with.

5. Other

vJOAA.gif

01. Botanicula; Jan Kratochvil and Bara Kratochvilova

http://twinfinite.net/blog/2012/06/30/the-beats-in-botanicula-an-interview-with-dva Here are some of my favorite things, if you didn’t know: graphic adventure games, Arvo Part, Bjork, Lithuanian folk music, Russian hip-hop, and Icelandic electronica. They are all in this game. That’s weird. My video game 2012 has been about lamenting what’s been lost and how little there’s been to replace it, so let me honor Dva, Amanita Design, and Botanicula with my soundtrack of the year award as thanks for them doing their part to dam the tide.

Forgot to mention the best track, Level 3.

When they started singing, I went like "wow this is amazing". It was my equivalent of what people went through with the RDR Mexico track or Max Payne 3 "Tears" airport track.

ohlawd

Paper Mario Sticker Star was robbed.
I liked Kid Icarus Uprising a lot more, of course, but to see it so low.

I just started Sticker Star about a week ago. I haven't heard a single piece of bad music in that game yet. The boss of world 3... holy cow DAT THEME.

Nert

We've already reached out to some of the winning composers, and as expected, they're coming across as really cool people that are genuinely grateful for all of the positive things that we have had to say here. I'll keep the thread updated with their responses as they trickle in (towards the bottom of this post).

zroid

Banned
I just started Sticker Star about a week ago. I haven't heard a single piece of bad music in that game yet. The boss of world 3... holy cow DAT THEME.

Yeah, seriously. All the boss themes were great, but ooooohhhh maaaan that one was something special.

Nert

Forgot to mention the best track, Level 3.

When they started singing, I went like "wow this is amazing". It was my equivalent of what people went through with the RDR Mexico track or Max Payne 3 "Tears" airport track.

I made sure to include level 3 in my own write-up for the soundtrack, and I agree that it's an absolute joy to listen to. I love the main theme (juchu) for similar reasons.

Paper Mario Sticker Star was robbed.
I liked Kid Icarus Uprising a lot more, of course, but to see it so low.

I was really close to voting for Sticker Star myself, and people in the voting thread did a good job of encouraging me to check it out. Globulous just came out of nowhere for me in the last week and I ended up bumping everything else down.

I like how I was probably one of two people who voted for my #1. :lol :lol :lol

Ah, I knew it wasn't gonna happen.

Hah, tell me about it.

I wish more people played Fez.

I'm sure that a lot of people have similar feelings about some of their picks. However, I have to say that the amount of smaller games being represented in this thread is pretty remarkable.

Holy snaps I got quoted. Great list with a lot of great music even if I didn't find the quality of games last year to be all that high.

Thanks for making mine the top comment and recognising that my opinion takes precedence over all others. Cheers for that.

Journey is the deserved winner. Also thrilled to see Gravity Rush in at #7. Great work Nert.

Nert

Thanks for making mine the top comment and recognising that my opinion takes precedence over all others. Cheers for that.

Hah :)

Also, just as a general note, even if you don't see us respond to individual survey answers, keep in mind that we're reading them all and taking them into consideration. We'll also be sure to lay out whatever rule set we come up with in this thread before the next voting thread goes up.

Fantastic job Nert & GhaleonQ. Serious kudos to you both.

1) Voting
I like it!

2) Archive
I enjoy it as a reader, but I can see that it's a tremendous amount of work. Maybe you could just name the sample tunes instead of linking to them? Or you could get rid of the VGMDB links -- I'm sure people can find both on their own.

3) Eligibility
No licensed music/ports sounds good.

4) Comment Requirement
I like this system, because people put in their own unique feedback. It's fun to hear what everyone has to say, or why particularly they like a certain soundtrack.

5) Anything else
Again, a big round of applause for you guys. Thanks for all of your hard work -- I'll definitely be sticking around in this thread for some time to come!

Survey

------------

That's all folks!

1. all fine.

2. keep as is. btw, why didn't you guys include the unchained blades links i provided?

3. no licensed soundtracks please. reward originality. we don't need lazy cut and paste jobs.

4. demand one comment. i can't be bothered to comment on mere quickie polls.

5. good job. i especially like how you tried to get in contact with composers after the results were posted.

Nert

Alright, here is one of those features that didn't quite make the OP (as it's less of a results thing and more of an editorial thing):

When looking over the discographies from last year and (especially) this year, my immediate reaction was "Hrm... that's a lot of dudes." While the highlighted composers are obviously representative of how our votes turned out, it would be unfortunate for these threads to send an implicit message that nearly all of today's noteworthy game composers are male. Below, you'll find a supplement to the discography that highlights some of the industry's most talented women (everyone included composed a game soundtrack in 2012 that was already listed in the archive).

To begin, here's a fun fact: Jessica Curry composed music for a funeral that took place in Second Life, of all things.

Chikayo Fukuda

iWiUw7qUgKU4d.png

Asura's Wrath (Furueru Kokoro)

.hack//G.U. Vol. 2 Reminisce (Dragonbone Mountain Range BryunaòGideon)
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm (Squad 7)
Solatorobo (And Then, to CODA)

Jessica Curry

ibmYS1SNZ6JX4H.png

Dear Esther (Moon in My Palm)

Korsakovia (He Exists in a Series of Lucid Moments)
The Second Death of Caspar Helendale (Excerpt)
Perpetual Light: Requiem for an Unscorched Earth (Excerpt)

Michiru Yamane

i6tcVXhgOjSLH.png

Skullgirls (Paved With Good Intentions)

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Dance of Pales)
Detana!! Twinbee (Crossing a Sea of Clouds)
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Chapel)

Niamh Houston (Chipzel)

imsg1RDDYG5og.png

Super Hexagon (Focus)

Disconnected (Her Heart)
Phonetic Symphony (Engage Apocalypse)

Winifred Phillips

iINn5YXm0QjCB.png

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation (Society Suite in 4 Movements)

God of War (Exploring The Ruins)
Speed Racer (Move It)
SimAnimals (Free Play)

Yoko Shimomura

iKejC9bfIfg22.png

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (Ever After)

Xenoblade Chronicles (Main Theme)
Parasite Eve (Main Theme)
Street Fighter II (Guile's Theme)

Picking only three soundtracks to represent Yoko Shimomura is impossible : /

Nert

Thomas Was Alone, Unchained Blades, Dishonored, and Tales of Xillia 2 are now in the archive. Please continue to let us know if anything is missing and we'll get right on it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Also even though it's early days if anyone's got their eyes on any soundtracks in this coming year? i'm anticipating Tengami just for the return of David Wise tackling some vintage Japanese styles.

Of course it's already out in Japan, (I haven't spoiled myself) but I'm dying to hear the Joe Hisaishi soundtrack for Ni No Kuni. Indies have been stealing the show as far as soundtracks go, lately... but a lot of times, indies get released out of nowhere with little hype, so I'm pretty excited to see what 2013 will bring.

Niamh Houston (Chipzel)

imsg1RDDYG5og.png

Super Hexagon (Focus)

Totally my type, lol!

Nicely done, Nert and GhaleonQ. It's great to see the best video game soundtracks of 2012 represented and appreciated all in one place. Props to all the voters too!

The first game I beat in 2013 was Double Dragon Neon, so I want to throw in another good word for that soundtrack. It's a lot of fun to listen to.

My backlog still has quite a few 2012 games lined up in it, so I'll be listening to some these soundtracks for the first time well into this year.

Also, high five to those who voted up Spelunky!
-----
1) Voting: Do you like the current voting system? If not, what would you like to change?
No change. I'd like to vote for way more than three soundtracks, but having a limit helps me think about my vote.

2) Archive: As more people participate in these votes, the archive is becoming massive. Do you like this comprehensive approach, or should we be more selective and trim it down?
I dig the comprehensive approach. Having various links as well as images for the soundtracks make each soundtrack stand out. It must be very time-consuming though, so do whatever you gotta go.

3) Eligibility: This year, we placed very few restrictions on which soundtracks could be eligible for voting. Would you like to see more rules put into place, and if so, what kind of rules? This topic could encompass licensed soundtracks, re-releases with a few new tracks added to them, or simply the latest port of a game.
I say yes to licensed soundtracks and updated soundtracks.
The music unique to Persona 4 Golden isn't any less current because it is mixed into a soundtrack from 2008. If someone thinks those particular songs are awesome, then they should vote for those songs.
Licensed soundtracks are usually fashioned into a game's atmosphere or game play, which makes them important to the overall experience. I can understand why some people think they shouldn't get a pass, but I see them as fair game.

4) Comment Requirement: This year, the game of the year thread has placed a 1 comment requirement on every vote. This raises the barrier to entry somewhat, but it also pushes people to put more thought into their votes. Would you like to see a similar “post at least one comment or link to at least one song” rule implemented here?
I don't think everyone should have to comment on their choices. Insightful descriptions are fun to read, but not always easy to write. Even one sentence can be difficult if you're trying to convey your strong feels in only a few words. Comments should be encouraged, but not required.

5) Anything else: If you’d like to comment on anything else regarding this topic, go for it.
Again, you rock for putting all of this together. Here's to another year of video game music!
-----

AWintory

Neo Member
My first ever post on NeoGAF .... this feels like something I should really thoughtfully put together, but I'm pretty sure it's going to come out very stream-of-conscious ...

All I can say is thank you ALL ... this is overwhelming. I've been reading this site for years but never actually made an account but this seemed to be the perfect catalyst. I really can't overstate how much the kind words from you guys means to me. JOURNEY was a once-in-a-lifetime game made by some extraordinarily brilliant collaborators, and this response to it has been overwhelming to a degree I never thought possible.

So please accept my endless thanks.

I am excited to get to you know guys and post more often here now that I've finally made the plunge ;)

-Austin

Corto

Sorry Austin if my post comes out like a babbling fan nonsense But here it goes... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. Really. I listen to your OST every week at least once. Thank you for all the extra tracks you shared through your newsletter. Your music is absolutely inspiring!

And welcome, enjoy your staying!

/endbabbling

AWintory

Neo Member
Sorry Austin if my post comes out like a babbling fan nonsense But here it goes... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. Really. I listen to your OST every week at least once. Thank you for all the extra tracks you shared through your newsletter. Your music is absolutely inspiring!

And welcome, enjoy your staying!

/endbabbling

Too kind. :) And thanks for checking out the other stuff. I'm doing similar, and far more ambitious right now, for the upcoming release of MONACO .... so excited!! :)

Also I wanted to add, based on the above, that Jessica Curry is one of my favorite human beings in the world. It is such an honor to call her a friend because she is 1) intensely sweet and wonderful, and 2) a really creative and fresh composer.

Unrelated to how much I love her personally, I would vote DEAR ESTHER as my favorite score for 2012.

Famassu

My first ever post on NeoGAF .... this feels like something I should really thoughtfully put together, but I'm pretty sure it's going to come out very stream-of-conscious ...

All I can say is thank you ALL ... this is overwhelming. I've been reading this site for years but never actually made an account but this seemed to be the perfect catalyst. I really can't overstate how much the kind words from you guys means to me. JOURNEY was a once-in-a-lifetime game made by some extraordinarily brilliant collaborators, and this response to it has been overwhelming to a degree I never thought possible.

So please accept my endless thanks.

I am excited to get to you know guys and post more often here now that I've finally made the plunge ;)

-Austin
Well earned. :) I would've probably voted Journey's OST had the voting given a bit more room and been a personal Top 5 or Top 10, but I wanted to give other OSTs a mention as I saw Journey was getting so many number 1 spots, so I left Journey out.

Love your work, gives me the chills (the good kind) each time I listen to it. Pre-ordered & imported the physical copy (with the awesome blue t-shirt) all the way to Finland the second I saw it made available for pre-order. :)

Draft

I played most of Max Payne 3 with headphones and wasn't impressed with the soundtrack. That opinion changed during the entire Panama Canal and related flashback sequence. Those tracks were eerie and intense and not something I would expect to be in a Max Payne game, but they were great.

Corto

Yes. Monaco is already pre-ordered hehehe I read many positive previews to help, but learning of your involvement was indeed the push that made me jump to the pre-order. Can't wait!

edit: oh and The Banner Saga too!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Y'see, Nert? This is why we need a VGM General Thread. :p

-Austin
Do iiiit! It's a pleasure to have you here! Congratulations for everything you've accomplished in the past year, up to being nominated for a Grammy! :)

I hope you don't mind, but may I ask a question? Er, if you're still around, that is.

What I liked about Journey's soundtrack while playing it was how dynamic it was. While there is no spoken dialogue whatsoever in the game, the music always felt like it was delivering the message that the player's character wanted to convey. In that sense, the art direction and design, and the music communicated various messages to the player (that is probably not what you had intended, but that's what I got out of it when I played it). Journey's music does not provide background noise, but rather, it's woven in the narrative of the game so deeply that it ends up enhancing and somewhat telling Journey's story. It's basically a guide for a player. Though I don't know if that's what you had intended.

Going back to listening to the soundtrack, I feel like The Call is one of my favourites, but that's because strings are totally my thing next to percussion and bass. But the most memorable track for me in the context of the game is The Road of Trials because at the climax of it, I was moved to tears. The integration of the music, the scenery, and my actions came together in a beautiful way, and much of that had to do with the music using the right instruments at the right moment.

...I realize this ended up working out to be a mini-soundtrack write-up at first but, uh, the tl;dr version is: "What was the thought process behind The Road of Trials?"

Also, outside of Dear Esther, which other two soundtracks were your favourites this year?

Thank you.

Nert

Actually it would be awesome if other laureates came here and made an acceptance speech/post. hehe

If you check the original post and scroll all the way down to the end of the archive, I've started compiling responses from composers that have been able to get back to us. As stated earlier, we're also interested in finding somebody that can read and write in Japanese to assist with our outreach efforts.

AWintory

Neo Member
Y'see, Nert? This is why we need a VGM General Thread. :p

Do iiiit! It's a pleasure to have you here! Congratulations for everything you've accomplished in the past year, up to being nominated for a Grammy! :)

I hope you don't mind, but may I ask a question? Er, if you're still around, that is.

What I liked about Journey's soundtrack while playing it was how dynamic it was. While there is no spoken dialogue whatsoever in the game, the music always felt like it was delivering the message that the player's character wanted to convey. In that sense, the art direction and design, and the music communicated various messages to the player (that is probably not what you had intended, but that's what I got out of it when I played it). Journey's music does not provide background noise, but rather, it's woven in the narrative of the game so deeply that it ends up enhancing and somewhat telling Journey's story. It's basically a guide for a player. Though I don't know if that's what you had intended.

Going back to listening to the soundtrack, I feel like The Call is one of my favourites, but that's because strings are totally my thing next to percussion and bass. But the most memorable track for me in the context of the game is The Road of Trials because at the climax of it, I was moved to tears. The integration of the music, the scenery, and my actions came together in a beautiful way, and much of that had to do with the music using the right instruments at the right moment.

...I realize this ended up working out to be a mini-soundtrack write-up at first but, uh, the tl;dr version is: "What was the thought process behind The Road of Trials?"

This was absolutely the goal, yes! I worked on JOURNEY for 3 years and a huge part of that was (literally daily) playtesting the game with my music in order to try and get it deeply down into the cracks of gameplay. I've been a gamer all my life, so it's not enough to just deliver music and code it into the game with basic looping scripts or something. Especially in this case, it had to function essentially as the narrator.

So yeah each and every piece of music (which the soundtrack doesn't really represent at all; for example the surfing section corresponding to "Road of Trials" represents at least 20 different cues in-game, all stitched together with very moment-by-moment specificity) was written and re-written to achieve that.

Also, outside of Dear Esther, which other two soundtracks were your favourites this year?

Thank you.

Honestly it's so hard to say, and I'm way behind on my games. Been too busy! I enjoy FEZ a lot ... ;) There are some moments in DIABLO III that were really nice too but I haven't heard the whole score (nor played the game) so I'm hesitant to include it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If you check the original post and scroll all the way down to the end of the archive, I've started compiling responses from composers that have been able to get back to us. As stated earlier, we're also interested in finding somebody that can read and write in Japanese to assist with our outreach efforts.
My Japanese writing's actually kind of terrible. :/

If you need to reach out to anyone who's a native French speaker (from the looks of it, not this year; maybe when Monsieur Héral composes another score this year maybe then), my writing's alright in that department. I'm sorry; I usually keep saying that I want to help out and yet I can't.

This was absolutely the goal, yes! I worked on JOURNEY for 3 years and a huge part of that was (literally daily) playtesting the game with my music in order to try and get it deeply down into the cracks of gameplay. I've been a gamer all my life, so it's not enough to just deliver music and code it into the game with basic looping scripts or something. Especially in this case, it had to function essentially as the narrator.

So yeah each and every piece of music (which the soundtrack doesn't really represent at all; for example the surfing section corresponding to "Road of Trials" represents at least 20 different cues in-game, all stitched together with very moment-by-moment specificity) was written and re-written to achieve that.
Thank you for answering!

Three years? That's longer than I'd expected. Man, no wonder the music fit in so seamlessly with the gameplay. :O
I figured Road of Trials was kind of like that--each cue being hit and playing at certain moments. I really like that kind of attention to detail in a game's soundtrack. Any time a soundtrack switches gears or does something different in a game that corresponds to my actions makes me feel more immersed in what I'm doing.

There aren't a lot of games that rely solely on the music to tell its story (well, not all the time now, because there were some games that did that before). A lot of the fundamentals for storytelling, especially since voice acting has become a major component in communicating the base narrative, has come down to dialogue, character animations (if any), or making things look pretty. So Journey was an interesting affair this year.

I guess I should probably ask--if it isn't too much trouble plus I'm sure you're busy--about the track on everyone's minds: Apotheosis. Instead of going with loud, crashing brass to hammer home the impact of what's happening, instead of hammering home the idea of success with crushing percussion and trumpets or horns, you chose instead to use simple percussion, strings and other softer instruments. I thought that was a very interesting take. Holding the last note to end the game proper communicated salvation rather than victory.

So... I guess my question is: "How did you manage to pick the sound of salvation and personal victory rather than outright branding it as victorious?" I find that the avenue you chose was more cohesive and true to the overall soundtrack's sound, so I guess I might be answering my own question.

Honestly it's so hard to say, and I'm way behind on my games. Been too busy! I enjoy FEZ a lot ... ;) There are some moments in DIABLO III that were really nice too but I haven't heard the whole score (nor played the game) so I'm hesitant to include it.
Nert, we need to add a vote for Fez. :lol

AWintory

Neo Member
My Japanese writing's actually kind of terrible. :/

I guess I should probably ask--if it isn't too much trouble plus I'm sure you're busy--about the track on everyone's minds: Apotheosis. Instead of going with loud, crashing brass to hammer home the impact of what's happening, instead of hammering home the idea of success with crushing percussion and trumpets or horns, you chose instead to use simple percussion, strings and other softer instruments. I thought that was a very interesting take. Holding the last note to end the game proper communicated salvation rather than victory.

So... I guess my question is: "How did you manage to pick the sound of salvation and personal victory rather than outright branding it as victorious?" I find that the avenue you chose was more cohesive and true to the overall soundtrack's sound, so I guess I might be answering my own question.

I rewrote that section of the game by far more than any other. It wasn't immediately obvious the direction it should take, and my initial drafts were more like big heavenly surreality, and then later more like high-paced action. But funny enough "victorious" never once crossed my mind. It was very clear what the game was saying and something that big and flashy was never it. Nailing it was nonetheless quite hard!! :)

Corto

Survey

Your answers to this (optional) short survey will help us improve the topic for next year.

1) Voting: Do you like the current voting system? If not, what would you like to change?

2) Archive: As more people participate in these votes, the archive is becoming massive. Do you like this comprehensive approach, or should we be more selective and trim it down?

3) Eligibility: This year, we placed very few restrictions on which soundtracks could be eligible for voting. Would you like to see more rules put into place, and if so, what kind of rules? This topic could encompass licensed soundtracks, re-releases with a few new tracks added to them, or simply the latest port of a game.

4) Comment Requirement: This year, the game of the year thread has placed a 1 comment requirement on every vote. This raises the barrier to entry somewhat, but it also pushes people to put more thought into their votes. Would you like to see a similar “post at least one comment or link to at least one song” rule implemented here?

5) Anything else: If you’d like to comment on anything else regarding this topic, go for it.

------------

That's all folks!

Sorry to answer just now. But here it goes:

1) In my opinion the voting system is apt. No need to change.

2) Absolutely try to trim out and select material. Its commendable the amount of work you guys put into these but it is reaching what I assume is critical mass. hehehe Too much work for you to parse and present in a clean way, and then too much content that deters its readability for us.

3) Honestly I feel good with your more open approach to this voting. Licensed soundtracks are indeed a touchy subject even for me that voted for two. But in the two cases I voted for licensed soundtracks they felt like they were originally created for each game. Or that the game was created with the songs in mind (Lumines). So I hope you keep a more relaxed system in your voting threads.

4) Yes. It isn't such an high barrier of entry really and makes for the whole thread much more interesting to read.

5) Thank you for all your work. It shows that you guys are really passionate about this subject and that was ultimately what made me participate. Thank you!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I rewrote that section of the game by far more than any other. It wasn't immediately obvious the direction it should take, and my initial drafts were more like big heavenly surreality, and then later more like high-paced action. But funny enough "victorious" never once crossed my mind. It was very clear what the game was saying and something that big and flashy was never it. Nailing it was nonetheless quite hard!! :)
Aha, well, I usually listen to a lot of RPG soundtracks, so perhaps "victorious" wasn't the right word. Maybe "achievement". Regardless, I felt that there were a lot of things you could've done with that segment of the game, but what you selected definitely worked in context with the rest of the soundtrack, imo.

Huh, those initial drafts sound interesting. Just because they seem like they'd work with the art direction for that portion.

...I feel like I'm being too formal! D:

Anyway, thank you for answering my questions and I hope you have fun around here.

GhaleonQ

djtiesto, I demand a Bayshore Midnight: Maximum Tune 4 score out of 10, minimum! You have top-notch taste and knowledge of the various electronic genres. I remain curious.

AWintory, I'm glad that Nert got ahold of you. Thanks for joining us! Will you vote in the topic next year? PREPARE FOR CONTROVERSY.

AWintory

Neo Member
djtiesto, I demand a Bayshore Midnight: Maximum Tune 4 score out of 10, minimum! You have top-notch taste and knowledge of the various electronic genres. I remain curious.

AWintory, I'm glad that Nert got ahold of you. Thanks for joining us! Will you vote in the topic next year? PREPARE FOR CONTROVERSY.

Thank you! Sounds fun. PS Love the Alexander ... amazing KQ memories.

Apotheosis is probably my most listened to game track from last year. Incredible stuff. Thank you for that.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

I loved the tunes you've posted earlier, even though I haven't played the actual game... it's straight-up quality late 90's trance.

AWintory: Lovely work with the Journey soundtrack, it really made the game for me.

Nert

Someone track Jasper Byrne, c'mon!

Sure thing.

Jasper Byrne (Hotline Miami said:
Thanks for the kind words. I don't really know the ways of neogaf except to know that it's important in determining a lot of things' success... so I'm really happy to have been noticed over there!

And especially for music really, because it's been most of my life (I was a professional drum'n'bass producer / dj for over ten years, so it makes me really proud.

So thanks again for letting me know how people feel!

I've got lots of new music in store for this year, I'm doing some stuff for OneMrBean and more for Dennaton, as well as a new album of analogue synth stuff I'm assembling for my new game, New Game+. Lots to look forward to in 2013!

Cheers,

Jasper

Nert

To reiterate, we're still interested in reaching out to more Japanese composers, if anyone is able and willing to lend a hand. My ability to hit the "translate" button in Google Chrome can only go so far :p

Sayah

Nice. Really amazing work on the thread. Appreciate all the work you put in.

Wish more people had given TTT2 soundtrack a listen, though. Oh well.

Diamond

Was away from the net for a few weeks and didn't saw this thread. Great work guys, it's really fun to browse through all these tracks. Great palmares too (thanks for the quotes !).

1) I like. Three choices can be quite frustrating for people who listen to a lot of OSTs but its great for accessibility.

2) As long as you can stay comprehensive without becoming mad, I'll be happy. I frequently come back to them.

3) I kinda think it's not that big of an issue. Drawing a line for licenced tracks would prove difficult. What to do with soundtracks which are both licenced and original like Hotline Miami or Alan Wake ? I'd say, if it's really important to some people, it's always possible to make several rankings at the end of the vote.

4) I like that rule in the GOTY thread, but it could hurt the participation in a less frequented thread like this one. Best way to know is trying next year and compare the number of votes and the quality of the comments ! :)

5) I hope you keep up the good work for 2013. I always enjoy the GAF SOTY and it's a great time to read all the posts. The composers messages are awesome.

SleazyC

Survey

I like the current system but think that 3 spots isn't enough to really give our recognition to the great music that comes out each year.

I'm fine with the comprehensive approach so long as its manageable for all the people involved in tabulating all the scores + information each year.

I don't think we should exclude licensed soundtracks. Re-releases are a bit tougher though and would probably say that those could be excluded.

I like comments since it describes to me why someone likes a soundtrack and often will lead me to check out things I haven't heard before.

I'd like to definitely see more slots for voting (maybe top 5 or even top 10) and maybe even some sort of sub-categories like the game of the year thread does (best handheld, best PC game) these might be too granular but I'd definitely like to see something like a track of the year included in the this discussion as well.

Overall great job again this year!

Top Bottom