• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2012 Edition

wow, that shirt has been there for 2 months ? :)

how do you guys ALL have parquets ? ...envious.
i wanted one for my new house but had to give up for many reasons

Parquet isn't that expensive if you know the right address. I personally wouldn't want anything else.

Melchiah

Whoa, I couldn't live in an apartment like this.

You've got guts, I find scary even the vintage one :(

Heh. I don't find it scary myself, although there have been some strange sounds during the night, after the the mannequin came to my apartment.

Danielsan

Awesome tv stand! I have the same ;-)
Love your set up, clean and bright, very nice
Thanks! And yeah, It's an awesome TV-stand. I totally got lucky too considering I got mine second hand for only €40.

Just searched the thread but I can't find your setup. Time to post those photos man!

BraVeHeartGR

Neo Member
Hello from Greece, motha...guys! Your setups are awesome and you have my respect. Here's mine:

genikoplano1.jpg

genikoplano2.jpg

gamingsetup.jpg

consoletower.jpg

newshelves.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hello from Greece, motha...guys! Your setups are awesome and you have my respect. Here's mine:

That's an awesome setup. With all of the effort you put into those collections, though, I would have thought you'd find a better display setup. Get a nice CRT for the retro consoles and a larger, high-end flat panel for modern consoles.

Still, I absolutely adore that shelf of old consoles. Beautiful!

Anybody has experience with this model? Its only 349 euro

ektorp--zitsbank__68070_PE182160_S4.jpg

i have this couch. it's quite excellent. very sturdy. cushions stay very firm, if that's what you like. great couch for napping. fairly deep as well. for the money, it's hard to beat. plus it's very easy to move up stairs/around corners, unlike many large sofas. the feet look retarded, so you'll either need to use slip-covers that cover them or make your own, which shouldn't be too hard. it's definitely more an american look than a lot of ikea's modern stuff.

edit: i also have that little chair that looks similar. it's not uncomfortable, but it's not great. i have it just because i wanted a very small chair to fill a corner and provide a spare seat if I needed one, but I can't recommend sitting in it for more than a few hours at once. if you're a big person/sloucher, it's probably not a good idea. more comfortable than the poangs in my opinion though, but i've never found the poang comfortable for very long, and i am convinced one messed up my back a few years ago.

Ryan_

i have this couch. it's quite excellent. very sturdy. cushions stay very firm, if that's what you like. great couch for napping. fairly deep as well. for the money, it's hard to beat. plus it's very easy to move up stairs/around corners, unlike many large sofas. the feet look retarded, so you'll either need to use slip-covers that cover them or make your own, which shouldn't be too hard. it's definitely more an american look than a lot of ikea's modern stuff.

edit: i also have that little chair that looks similar. it's not uncomfortable, but it's not great. i have it just because i wanted a very small chair to fill a corner and provide a spare seat if I needed one, but I can't recommend sitting in it for more than a few hours at once. if you're a big person/sloucher, it's probably not a good idea. more comfortable than the poangs in my opinion though, but i've never found the poang comfortable for very long, and i am convinced one messed up my back a few years ago.

Thanks for the heads up! I might have guessed the little chair isn't that comfy. It'll probably go between this one and the poangs.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
BraveHeart's white chair creeps me out. It looks like it'd just collapse like a pile of leaves if I sat in it or something.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I really like that BraVeHeartGR quoted his pictures so people don't quote his post with all of the pictures again.

BTW that's one hell of a collection.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Uhh.... that's a pretty amazing collection.

But seriously, man. You play all those games on that tiny-ass LCD? I laughed, but then cried :(

But that is one hell of a goddamn collection.

stewy

Thank you guys!

Here's my setup today, after a few changes. Also my handmade (by me) racing chair and the "puff" -the gaming chair.

You wouldn't happen to have the plans for that racing chair drawn up anywhere, would you? Looks fantastic! I think I could actually convince my wife to let me keep something like that in our living room.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I can't really think of anywhere better, and a lot of you seem to have nice set ups that you've spent a lot of time on. I'm currently working part-time and going to school full time. I've got a 36" Olevia tv. It's not the biggest thing in the world, but I know people who have much smaller. My main qualm is that the image quality doesn't look as good as it should. After watching my brother's television play Madden, the colors seem to pop way more and it just looks a lot nicer, but I'm not saying mine looks 'horrible'.

I also only use the tv for sound, so I have no sort of sound system. With my tax return I was planning to buy a larger, better quality television or a decent stereo system. I still live under the parents' roof until I move out, so I won't be buying anything to attach to the wall or anything. I was wondering which you guys thinks adds to the experience more? And if so, any recommendations on models/brands/ground placement/etc?

Whoa! Amazing set-up and collection, BraVeHeartGR. I like your illuminated shelf of consoles, but everything looks so thoughtfully put together.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's not the biggest thing in the world, but I know people who have much smaller.

Gross.

Anyway, it depends on how much money we're talking about. Personally, I'm leaning towards sound system... but not if you can't get something decent.

MadmanUK

Great collection BraVeHeartGR, i'd imagine it's a bit of a pain accumulating stuff in Greece compared with some other places. It must have taken a fair bit of dedication.

As mentioned already you do owe it to yourself to get a nice CRT, you have plenty of room to get a nice large Wega or Quintrix.

Pollux

So It's not as good as some of the ones I've seen on here (Tabris, I'm looking at you) but I like it. It does it's job (**I apologize for the flash, I can't turn it off, my camera is a tad broken):

The overall set up:
2k85Rl.jpg

Close up of the set up:
ByRWQl.jpg

Another close up:
BOiUGl.jpg

Wii, 360, PS3...
LGV4Vl.jpg

Games and movies that would fit (the rest are in containers in my closet):
7JZJzl.jpg

The couch:
2DtApl.jpg

The small couch:
haijLl.jpg

View 1 of the gaming/living room:
fgFzwl.jpg

View 2 of the gaming/living room:
2X1Rul.jpg

Finally today my gaf account got approved. Been stalking these threads while I was waiting since day one. So many people with really nice setups, it's fun to get ideas. Gonna post my gaming office/living room when my girlfriend gets home from work with her camera.

Pollux

Finally today my gaf account got approved. Been stalking these threads while I was waiting since day one. So many people with really nice setups, it's fun to get ideas. Gonna post my gaming office/living room when my girlfriend gets home from work with her camera.

Welcome to GAF!

sikkinixx

God I want hardwood floors *sigh* And this thread always makes me clash between the "fill it up with stuff!" and "strip it bare!" tendencies I have.

RkOwnage

I just got approved today, and I figured I'd jump into this thread because it was the one that first caught my eye.

My Computer area
photo4pdge.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Living Room Setup
photo3pbh.jpg

Movies/Games
photo2ts.jpg
photoxul.jpg

Guest Room setup
photo1fo.jpg

We have our house for sale, so I have all of my old school stuff packed away, but I am as you can see a big bluray fan.

Gaspode_T

I'm kind of surprised so many people have huge amounts of Blu rays...there was a point in time where people were scoffing at BR and complaining about having already bought tons of DVDs (speaking of which, I probably haven't touched one of my DVDs in years) I will only buy a BR if it's something I can't stream or something I hold dear to me.

sfedai0

Banned
Not really. The combination of widely affordable 1080p tv's and BD players, in addition to BD prices having adjusted to market demand. Plus, most movies remastered for BD have far better visuals and sound so a lot of people are willing to double dip.

I'm kind of surprised so many people have huge amounts of Blu rays

I think it's also a matter of the fact we've reached a point where home reproduction is approaching the quality of the cinema and unlikely to improve for quite some time, making the investment in blu ray seem fairly safe. I was always amazed at the money people were willing to spend on DVDs for what seemed a minor upgrade from vhs. For blu-ray, not only is the upgrade much larger, but we finally have the huge home displays to actually benefit from it. Is 4k coming? sure, i guess, but it's not going to threaten 1080p from a performance standpoint for the vast majority of people.

RazorEdge

Banned
Not much to show, this is our apartment setup while studying in Zurich.
I miss my 46" Sony and Denon Setup back in germany...:-( ^^

Bought that 32" CRT for 50CHF, strong disappointment that it can't display 16:9 properly. I don't really understand where the problem is, it should be a 16:9 TV...

Foto%2022.01.12%2015%2046%2032.jpg

I show you some pictures of my pc rig when I finished studying and cleaned up this mess ^^

Loxley

Not really. The combination of widely affordable 1080p tv's and BD players, in addition to BD prices having adjusted to market demand. Plus, most movies remastered for BD have far better visuals and sound so a lot of people are willing to double dip.

It also helps that, generally speaking, Blu-ray quality as a whole has gotten a lot better over the last six years. Some of the original Blu-rays from 2005-2006 look terrible by today's standards.

Kudos on the great setup, yours is the first one I've seen that still manages to look organised and tastefully assembled despite being packed to the rafters with games.

I agree. It could use a little better space management, especially for seating but overall it has a much nicer and clean archival feel than some of the others where it looks like a bedroom from your parents house bursting at the seems with gaming crap. He honors his collection with his presentation, others should invest some money in nice shelves and ask for second opinions on decorating. I love all the stuff people collect, nothing is ever too nerdy. However, good shelves, framing prints, and orginization goes a long way.

Montrealer

Neo Member
Long time lurker, first time poster...

Here's my 2012 gaming/media setup:

55" LG Passive 3D TV (55LW5000)
Jamo tower and bookshelf speakers
Polk Audio 10" subwoofer
Pioneer VSX-820
PS3 + X360 Slim

ezl7q.jpg

y7sHR.jpg

p9udj.jpg

mivO5.jpg

Some finishing work still needs to be done (install baseboards + decor)

How do you like the passive 3D TV?

I tried one out in a shop last year and thought they were awful, crosstalk was terrible but before leaving gave it another go and sat a little lower and it instantly became really, really impressive. I thought no more of it until a few weeks ago when my trusty CRT exploded, as CRTs are literally worthless I can pick a replacement up but then remembered the plasma.

Does the sweet spot for 3D increase with the viewing distance?

EDIT: oh shit I just saw the other TV above your post too, that's the exact same TV that blew up!

RazorEdge, how do you mean it won't display 16:9 properly? iirc non anamorphic DVDs don't zoom by default, you do that manually but other than that it should be fine.

So It's not as good as some of the ones I've seen on here (Tabris, I'm looking at you) but I like it. It does it's job (**I apologize for the flash, I can't turn it off, my camera is a tad broken):

The overall set up:
2k85Rl.jpg

Close up of the set up:
ByRWQl.jpg

Another close up:
BOiUGl.jpg

Wii, 360, PS3...
LGV4Vl.jpg

Games and movies that would fit (the rest are in containers in my closet):
7JZJzl.jpg

The couch:
2DtApl.jpg

The small couch:
haijLl.jpg

View 1 of the gaming/living room:
fgFzwl.jpg

View 2 of the gaming/living room:
2X1Rul.jpg

nice set up man, id post pics of mine but right now im in standard but nice apartment (just leaves little room for personalization). We are looking at a house, so may be joining home-owner GAF soon. Then comes the remodeling phase, but already hav plenty of ideas for the "entertainment" room in this house..probably dangerous because it still could very much not work out

gaming_noob

Long time lurker, first time poster...

Here's my 2012 gaming/media setup:

55" LG Passive 3D TV (55LW5000)
Jamo tower and bookshelf speakers
Polk Audio 10" subwoofer
Pioneer VSX-820
PS3 + X360 Slim

Some finishing work still needs to be done (install baseboards + decor)

I love your Tv stand. If you don't mind me asking where did you get it from?

Montrealer

Neo Member
How do you like the passive 3D TV?

Does the sweet spot for 3D increase with the viewing distance?

To be honest, I haven't watched that much 3D content since I got it back in November. That said, I haven't notice any crosstalk. Also, I prefer the passive glasses vs the active ones. They're way more comfortable, light and cheap.

I'm sitting about 8.5' away from the TV and find that it's the ideal distance for viewing 3D content. So far, Avatar 3D and IMAX Under the sea 3D remain the best movies I've watched.

I love your Tv stand. If you don't mind me asking where did you get it from?
I got it from costco.ca - you can find it here: http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product...CA&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

I'm pretty please with it. It holds all my electronics + center speakers and enough room for a bunch of games.

I guess you hang out in the Canadiens section at HF? :p
Ha! I do... although I consider myself more of a Hawks fan than a Habs fan.

guest1321

some of us get it 25/7 /smug

on the real though having a nice place gets girls pussy's wet. I speak from experience.

Lets not confuse people here. Having a clean (I.e. slick, and not having shit everywhere) is good. Having a really nice looking gaming collection might not appeal all girls lady bits.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
I think it's also a matter of the fact we've reached a point where home reproduction is approaching the quality of the cinema and unlikely to improve for quite some time, making the investment in blu ray seem fairly safe. I was always amazed at the money people were willing to spend on DVDs for what seemed a minor upgrade from vhs. For blu-ray, not only is the upgrade much larger, but we finally have the huge home displays to actually benefit from it. Is 4k coming? sure, i guess, but it's not going to threaten 1080p from a performance standpoint for the vast majority of people.

I don't think you remember what VHS was like if you think DVD was a minor upgrade. There's a reason videophiles were flabbergasted by VHS winning the format wars so long ago.

Here are a couple pictures between VHS, DVD, and Bluray:

fmj07crop.jpg

id401crop.jpg

id403crop.jpg

In reality, the differences between DVD and Blu-ray fit in the minor category and will only become shockingly apparent when 48 fps becomes standard.

I don't think you remember what VHS was like if you think DVD was a minor upgrade. There's a reason videophiles were flabbergasted by VHS winning the format wars so long ago.

Here are a couple pictures between VHS, DVD, and Bluray:

fmj07crop.jpg

id401crop.jpg

id403crop.jpg

In reality, the differences between DVD and Blu-ray fit in the minor category and will only become shockingly apparent when 48 fps becomes standard.

Eh, in all honesty I didn't believe that blu ray was worth upgrading from DVD at first. Since I purchased a newer 1080p 120hz TV, it really does make a difference. It is really up to the person though as most DVDs still do look good, not great. When you first play a movie in blu ray, and then try watching a DVD of the same film, it is a world of difference. Especially on a bigger screen.

Personally though, DVD from VHS was not just about the crisp quality, but more about the non-rewinding, no adjusting the tracking (UHHHH I HATED THAT!), and the addition of special features/commentary tracks.

Blu Ray just makes all of those things a more significant leap forward.

Let's get back on track on this forum -

So, after talking it up a page or two back with some of you... I finally made my own shelf from scratch! I wanted something that would fit all of my media on it, plus extra room for expansion.
I also wanted it to be perfect sizing to fit all of my games, blu rays, etc. so they have 1/2" above them.
This shelf is massive. It can hold up to 1900 blu ray movies, or 1250ish games! It ended up costing me right around 300 bucks for everything (wood, screws, nails, stain, more stain, pre stain, stain brushes, few tools, and wood stickers to cover up the screws).

I had looked around and the closest I could find to the same size would have been 4 shelves made from MDF or particle board and they were $159 bucks a piece.

Photos -

Before:

After -

DSCF3174.jpg

I am also planning on building onto these shelves as time goes on. Hoping by the time I get a house I will have the TV Stand/ Entertainment stand, and a shelf above connecting 2 of the shelves together.

Top Bottom