• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

You don't have a preference as to whether they're open or closed? Also I'm not sure what your thoughts are about bass, it's a but unclear in your wording. Price Range? Also are you going to be using them unamped?
I don't have a preference for open or closed headphones. I believe the JVC pair that I'm using are semi-open. As for bass it's kind of hard to explain but I'll just use Beats as an example of something that's too bass heavy for me. Not looking for something like that but something that has just a bit of bass but not overwhelming. My price range is $100 - $200. These are mainly going to be plugged straight into my PC's headphone jack, so no amp.

Duxxy3

Hopefully Sennheiser's warranty is worth a damn. Left driver in my HD598's is louder than the right. Imbalance drives me crazy and I can notice even a small amount.

Back to the Portapro's.

Packed and ready to go. Haven't had to send in a pair of headphones for repair since I broke my first Portapro's (long long ago).

Never had a problem with my HD580 or HD600. Wish I didn't have to sell those at the time.

Mercutio

Packed and ready to go. Haven't had to send in a pair of headphones for repair since I broke my first Portapro's (long long ago).

Never had a problem with my HD580 or HD600. Wish I didn't have to sell those at the time.

Are those not user replaceable like the 580 or 600?

Aiii

So not worth it
Just got the Momentum 2.0's, after returning the original Momentum's for being too uncomfortable.

These do indeed fit around the ear like you would expect, as an added bonus they have an Android remote instead of just the Apple ones and are foldable. Design hasn't changed much from the first, but they really shouldn't have changed that anyways, since they were already drop-dead gorgeous imo.

Have yet to check out the sound difference, even though the originals were already sublime. These are supposed to be better in the midrange though.

Anyways, pics:
img_20150527_0959242go28.jpg

img_20150527_100028ferwg.jpg

img_20150527_095958ysrl5.jpg

img_20150527_10001050o2p.jpg

img_20150527_100041firoj.jpg

catmincer

I'm looking for some decent earphones for a phone. I use it for Spotify and MP3s, no FLAC files etc.

I've been looking at the Sennheiser CX275s and the Sol Republic Amps in ears.

I have no idea which is the better option. One is $28 and the other $70, is it worth spending the extra?

HiResDes

I'm looking for some decent earphones for a phone. I use it for Spotify and MP3s, no FLAC files etc.

I've been looking at the Sennheiser CX275s and the Sol Republic Amps in ears.

I have no idea which is the better option. One is $28 and the other $70, is it worth spending the extra?

Those are both quite mediocre, and you don't have to spend more to get better, just pick better products....Just tell me what kind of genres you listen to and how much you want to spend, I'm guessing up to $70?

Tommy DJ

You bought it then returned it???

I don't think it's a particularly "fun" headphone and it's definitely not my go to set. It's a lot nicer with the norne draug 2 cable because it takes the edge of the high end brightness a bit.

Yes I returned it. Can't use foam mods on headphones in store unfortunately so I pretty much had to buy it. As far as brightness goes, I don't think cables will really do a whole lot...its definitely not going to be as significant as the measurable foam and rugliner mod.

If I really wanted "top performance" from a cable, I'd probably solder the headphone cable straight onto the the headphone itself eliminating the dodgy HD800 connectors from the equation completely. I also don't think the stock cable Sennheiser provides with their higher end products are bad, they're just not 4-pin balanced terminated or in a Litz configuration. At the end of the day, I don't think the Sennheiser HD800 is something I could live with, especially when it costs $1,400, since its so recording dependent.

Anyway, the PM3 is perfectly good as far as portable headphones go and better than Oppo's past PM1 and PM2. The price and sound is pretty right. It has a claustrophobic soundstage and the mids sound a little scooped but I don't think that matters a whole lot given their purpose and design.

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could recommend me a pair of headphones? I have $200 to spend on them. Currently I'm using the PlayStation Gold wireless headset and I love them, except for the build quality. I don't know if it's because I have a big head, but they're breaking in spots right above where you can adjust the length of the headphones, and the cloth material is falling off of the speakers.

So I'm looking for headphones that can do everything the PlayStation Gold set can do, but better build quality. I love that the PlayStation set is wireless and uses Bluetooth. And I can plug the little dongle into my PC, PS4 or Xbone and it just works. And I love the sound quality, too. I use them when I'm browsing the Internet, watching Netflix or movies in general, and of course when playing video games.

If you guys could recommend me a good quality headset for no more then $200 I'd really appreciate it.
Just quoting this for the new page in hopes that someone can help me. :)

hongcha

I recently got the AKG K550, and I like the sound but I don't find them terribly comfortable if I have them on for more than a half hour or so. This has been a problem for me with many closed back headphones. I'm looking into a good open back pair, and I found the Sony MDR-MA900 has good reviews, especially in regard to comfort. Anyone here have an opinion on those?

Yes I returned it. Can't use foam mods on headphones in store unfortunately so I pretty much had to buy it. As far as brightness goes, I don't think cables will really do a whole lot...its definitely not going to be as significant as the measurable foam and rugliner mod.

If I really wanted "top performance" from a cable, I'd probably solder the headphone cable straight onto the the headphone itself eliminating the dodgy HD800 connectors from the equation completely. I also don't think the stock cable Sennheiser provides with their higher end products are bad, they're just not 4-pin balanced terminated or in a Litz configuration. At the end of the day, I don't think the Sennheiser HD800 is something I could live with, especially when it costs $1,400, since its so recording dependent.

Anyway, the PM3 is perfectly good as far as portable headphones go and better than Oppo's past PM1 and PM2. The price and sound is pretty right. It has a claustrophobic soundstage and the mids sound a little scooped but I don't think that matters a whole lot given their purpose and design.

to be honest, i only got the HD800s because i got it at a ridiculous price brand new - it wasnt really on my "to get" list - but i got it for $999 with free shipping so at that price i really couldnt say no (Esp when it retails for $1,500) - problem is i ended up buying the CH800S cable with it ($189) then the Norne Draug IIs with the Balanced XLR end ($240) so i mostly likely ended up paying full retail with everything considered.

It is a pretty finicky headphone i must admit - i much prefer the Audeze's (incl the EL-8s) which are much more fun.

There is nothing else i really want now in the headphones world - and the only things i want to hear are Devialet Phantoms just to see what the fuss is about since no one has really written anything on them - positive or negative.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Welp, first part of Project "Detachable cables for the AKG K551" is done. Or at least the audio jack installation part. Now to get a solder and wire it up.

The construction scars give it a DIY homespun charm
and not just me being a clumsy idiot.

catmincer

Those are both quite mediocre, and you don't have to spend more to get better, just pick better products....Just tell me what kind of genres you listen to and how much you want to spend, I'm guessing up to $70?

Mainly generic pop, some classical and country. Ideally under ~$100.

Acrylic7

Sony V6's finally crapped out after years of abuse.

I tried the MDR-7506's in my cousins studio and they sound far better than the V6's which seem to have more bass for some odd reason. The reviews say they are the same but they really aren't. For $100 ($85 amazon) you cant go wrong.

Before I order I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I noticed that the 7506's were not included in the recommended Mid-tier headphones in the new OP.

Mercutio

I tried the MDR-7506's in my cousins studio and they sound far better than the V6's which seem to have more bass for some odd reason. The reviews say they are the same but they really aren't. For $100 ($85 amazon) you cant go wrong.

Before I order I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I noticed that the 7506's were not included in the recommended Mid-tier headphones in the new OP.

I've used the 7506 professionally for years, and also have a pair for personal use. At home I use a Grado RS1, but the 7506 is more than enough for portable use. Still sounds better than anything else I've used in that form factor and every part is user replaceable.

Truly great headphones. I even swapped the cable on my personal pair for an iPhone compatible volume / mic setup.

HiResDes

Mainly generic pop, some classical and country. Ideally under ~$100.

I'd recommend the following in-earphones:

Vsonic VSD5
Creative Aurvana Live 3
Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear
Ostry KC06
Zero Audio Tenore

While both the Sony MDR-7506s and V6s are pretty good for mixing because of their detail and ability to point out treble sibilance I don't think they sound very good for actually listening to music. They're really treble forward, to the point that I think they're quite sibilant, and they have very little sub-bass to my ears. I've heard both of them at some point, but not at the same time so I couldn't A/B, but they definitely sounded quite similar. I'm sure your cousin probably had a better setup than you at a studio so that's why they sounded better, but I couldn't detect a big difference.

Also even when it comes to neutrality I think there are headphones that are better in the range including the Takstar Pro 80/Gemini HSR-1000, Brainwavz HM5/NVX XPT100, Koss Pro DJ200, and Audio Technica ATH-TAD500. It might just be a personal thing, but to my ears unless you're using them specifically for mixing I don't get the hype at all. Good build quality, lackluster sounding due to their musicality if you will.

JoseDFrog

Banned
Is there anything similar to the V-Sonic GR07 Bass Edition for less than a $100? I really like the sound of them but they are not very durable. I've had them for over a year and a half and the wire has stripped so I don't think they are going to last me much longer.

HiResDes

Is there anything similar to the V-Sonic GR07 Bass Edition for less than a $100? I really like the sound of them but they are not very durable. I've had them for over a year and a half and the wire has stripped so I don't think they are going to last me much longer.

Check out the Ostry KC06.

Deadstar

Can I get an opinion on these headphones? I'm looking for low end comfortable headphones to replace the senheissers that broke for me after a few years.

I've narrowed it down to these three.

Sennheiser HD 429 Headphones Black
Sennheiser HD 439 Headphones Black
Sennheiser HD 449 Headphones Black

The 429's seem to be comparable to what I have now but I want to get something that's a little better if possible. I can't decide between the 439 and 449. Any opinions on these? It appears that the 449's are the most expensive (better) but the 439's seem to have better reviews.

RedAssedApe

Banned
would it be pointless for me to get the fidelio x1/x2 if i was just going to go amp-less and plug it into my ds4 for gaming?

also do both the x1 and x2 have the earpad stain issue?

HiResDes

would it be pointless for me to get the fidelio x1/x2 if i was just going to go amp-less and plug it into my ds4 for gaming?

also do both the x1 and x2 have the earpad stain issue?

No they both don't really benefit from amping all too much, the X2 doesn't have the earpad stain issue.
I recently got the AKG K550, and I like the sound but I don't find them terribly comfortable if I have them on for more than a half hour or so. This has been a problem for me with many closed back headphones. I'm looking into a good open back pair, and I found the Sony MDR-MA900 has good reviews, especially in regard to comfort. Anyone here have an opinion on those?

Extremely comfortable, supremely lightweight, sounds good out of out of most things unless you're looking for a lot of bass. Recommend them

Eanan

Just got my Logitech UE6000's. First impressions, they sound MUCH better with noise cancelling switched on. So much more vibrant and punchy.

Theyre decent sounding headphones, good for what I paid (€40). They dont sound as good as my Urbanite XLs even with the noise cancelling turned on but thats to be expected.

Theyll do as a backup. Not the most comfortable headphone either though.

HiResDes

Turning the noise cancelling essentially gives them a muddy bass boost, but coming from the Urbanite that might be what you want.

Eanan

Turning the noise cancelling essentially gives them a muddy bass boost, but coming from the Urbanite that might be what you want.

Yup, most of the music I listen to is very bass heavy so its what I look for along with comfort and the "punchiness" of music. These UE6000s are very punchy.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

So I bought these as soon as I saw the price (even cheaper with a built in coupon) and I got them today.

Besides the long charge time, which is acceptable considering they have an estimated battery life of 20 hours, which is double those with a 90 minute charge time, meaning they put in a decent battery in these things. I must say, quite the comfortable set of headphones. Fits perfectly on my giant dome and the pads are just like I like them. Haven't tried them for music but spoken word comes out like a dream on them. What a great bargain. I would have gladly paid 200 for these.

Sheik

Hello! I posted in the old thread a year or so ago and you guys helped me buy the MEE P16B or something (forgot the exact name) and I really liked them. Hoping you guys could do me another solid and help me pick on my next pair since my one of the earphones went dead.

Audio noob so I'm not 100% sure on all of the terminology, but I think I prefer clarity and midrange? Being able to hear every nuance is important to me. I listen to a wide variety of music, but mostly electronic music, hip hop, and rock. I'm specifically looking for IEMs in the $100-$150 range. (Bonus if it has a good reputation of durability? My cables seem to break a lot on me or one ear goes dead after 6-12 months. I don't know if that's normal or not.)

Thank you in advance!

HiResDes

Hello! I posted in the old thread a year or so ago and you guys helped me buy the MEE P16B or something (forgot the exact name) and I really liked them. Hoping you guys could do me another solid and help me pick on my next pair since my one of the earphones went dead.

Audio noob so I'm not 100% sure on all of the terminology, but I think I prefer clarity and midrange? Being able to hear every nuance is important to me. I listen to a wide variety of music, but mostly electronic music, hip hop, and rock. I'm specifically looking for IEMs in the $100-$150 range. (Bonus if it has a good reputation of durability? My cables seem to break a lot on me or one ear goes dead after 6-12 months. I don't know if that's normal or not.)

Thank you in advance!

Here are some good recommendations I believe:

...Based on build quality I'd be inclined to go with the Final Audio or Rockit R-50, all would be excellent choices sound wise.

HiResDes

The recs were getting obsessively long I've decided to focus even more so on the cheaper offerings, which will also allow me the opportunity to update the OP more regularly without worrying about length as much. I really don't test many wireless headphones, so if want a list definitely feel free to let me know what's good in that realm.

FoxSpirit

Got my ODAC+O2 combo.
The ODAC sound exactly like my soundcard, which I see as a simple "basically expected".
Now, the O2 does a lot for my MDR-MA900. A little bass boost and this combo is amazing. I'd like to reiterate "softer HD-800". The soundstage is amzingly out-of-head.

Generally, this brings out the individual characteristics of my different cans great. Before they were much closer, now I feel each one has a much more individual voice.

Sheik

Here are some good recommendations I believe:

...Based on build quality I'd be inclined to go with the Final Audio or Rockit R-50, all would be excellent choices sound wise.

Oops, I forgot to mention I live in Canada so it's harder for me to find some of the more obscure brands. Also exchange rates and shipping costs add a lot to the price. I was hoping to buy them either in-store locally or somewhere like Amazon.ca. I was able to find the pair of Final Audio iems for $95 before taxes so maybe I'll grab those. Thanks for the recs!

RedAssedApe

Banned

hah...and i just ordered it used from Amazon Warehouse for 239.99. Hasn't been shipped but they won't let me cancel it...

has anyone ever bought a pair of headphones via amazon warehouse. description is:

Item will come in original packaging. Packaging may be damaged. Minor cosmetic imperfection on front of item (less than 1/4"x1/4"). Minor cosmetic imperfection on top or sides of item (less than 1/4"x1/4"). Minor cosmetic imperfection on bottom or back of item (less than 1/2"x1/2").

Thinking scratches I guess?

btw. when you use headphones without using any type of virtual surround implementation...should you keep app and game settings (i.e. Netflix to Stereo setting and/or headphone setting in games)?

HiResDes

Oops, I forgot to mention I live in Canada so it's harder for me to find some of the more obscure brands. Also exchange rates and shipping costs add a lot to the price. I was hoping to buy them either in-store locally or somewhere like Amazon.ca. I was able to find the pair of Final Audio iems for $95 before taxes so maybe I'll grab those. Thanks for the recs!
Mp4nation and LendMeUrEars provide worldwide shipping at cheaper prices to Canada. Check out their sites and try to find the things I recommended.

jokkir

I checked the first post but needed a clearer recommendation. What's the best sub $200 closed headphones that's also stylish? My friend asked me to recommend her some but only one that came up in my head was the ATH-M50 but those aren't really the best looking. She gave me a budget of less than $200 but cheapest without sacrificing too much would be the best since I'm sure she won't be using an amp or similar. Probably just for her iPhone and computer.

HiResDes

I checked the first post but needed a clearer recommendation. What's the best sub $200 closed headphones that's also stylish? My friend asked me to recommend her some but only one that came up in my head was the ATH-M50 but those aren't really the best looking. She gave me a budget of less than $200 but cheapest without sacrificing too much would be the best since I'm sure she won't be using an amp or similar. Probably just for her iPhone and computer.
This is such a subjective and complicated question, especially considering I have no idea where her tastes lie aesthetically. You also didn't specify whether she wants over ear or on ear so I'll recommend both. Anyway here they are:

Mikros 90
V-Moda XS
Phiaton MS400
Sony MDR-1R
Sennheiser Amperior
Sennheiser Momentum

Jzero

Just received my X2's and the box is really shitty compared to the X1's box. But the thing that matters are the headphones haha

Deadstar

Can I get an opinion on these headphones? I'm looking for low end comfortable headphones to replace the senheissers that broke for me after a few years.

I've narrowed it down to these three.

Sennheiser HD 429 Headphones Black
Sennheiser HD 439 Headphones Black
Sennheiser HD 449 Headphones Black

The 429's seem to be comparable to what I have now but I want to get something that's a little better if possible. I can't decide between the 439 and 449. Any opinions on these? It appears that the 449's are the most expensive (better) but the 439's seem to have better reviews.

Anyone?

Jzero

Would be interested to know how you think they compare?

I have X2s but never listened to X1s.

It's hard to explain. They cut down on the bass to make the whole thing sound more balanced but i don't think most people would notice. I think it was worth the upgrade though.

Anyone had a chance to listen to the HE-1000s?

Id love to hear a set but no one here seems to have them and from what ive heard it seems to represent the middle ground between the LCD3s and the transparency of the HD800s. But yeah...for $3K it seems a bit much.

Is it normal to hear constant static background on FLAC albums from the 1950s? I barely notice it when the music plays.

I'm listening to Ella Fitzgerald, best Jazz singer of all time, with Sennheiser HD 650, Valhalla 2, Modi 2.

Is it normal to hear constant static background on FLAC albums from the 1950s? I barely notice it when the music plays.

I'm listening to Ella Fitzgerald, best Jazz singer of all time, with Sennheiser HD 650, Valhalla 2, Modi 2.

there are a few very hi res recordings i have of jazz singers/bands from that period and i can hear some "noise" like that in the background as well. i dont think it's your equipment.

Top Bottom