• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo eShop update imminent on 3DS? (Minor UI update, Wii U games listing)

jackal27

Banned
There is NO WAY that this is cross-buy. I honestly believe that you guys are getting excited for nothing. This is probably just a way to advertise the games that are available on the Wii U to 3DS owners

Omikaru

I hope this means I have one unified wallet between my 3DS and Wii U. I currently have £63 on one system, and £6 on the other, and it seems incredibly dumb that those two wallets are entirely separate things.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I hope this means I have one unified wallet between my 3DS and Wii U. I currently have £63 on one system, and £6 on the other, and it seems incredibly dumb that those two wallets are entirely separate things.
Hoping for this as well. Sucked having separate amounts on my DSi & Wii, then my Wii Shop points didn't carry over to the Wii U eShop, and now 3DS & Wii U are separate. It's rather annoying, especially since Sony's been doing it with PSP, Vita, & PS3 for quite some time now.

Hoping for this as well. Sucked having separate amounts on my DSi & Wii, then my Wii Shop points didn't carry over to the Wii U eShop, and now 3DS & Wii U are separate. It's rather annoying, especially since Sony's been doing it with PSP, Vita, & PS3 for quite some time now.

Agreed, I have to think that Nintendo didnt have us create NNIDs fir no reason,, and with miiverse coming to the 3DS, I think an account system in the fall is likely, cross buy would be nice, but I doubt it would be as good as the Vita-PS3 cross buy or free, more likely Wii U->3DS in particular VC for 10-20% of original cost (Basically Wii->Wii U Upgrade 2.0) with a unified account system, I'd be pretty content with Nintendos online infrastructure.

I am confused by this cross-buy concept.

Does this mean I will be able to purchase Wii U games on 3DS and play them on Wii U, or does this mean I will be able to purchase certain Wii U games on my 3DS and play them on my 3DS?

jackal27

Banned

Does this mean I will be able to purchase Wii U games on 3DS and play them on Wii U, or does this mean I will be able to purchase certain Wii U games on my 3DS and play them on my 3DS?

No one knows what it means, because it doesn't exist. It's just wishful thinking and a lot of people are going to be severely disappointed.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

With Sony, Cross-Buy means you get both the PS3 version and Vita version for the same price as the PS3 copy. Some even allow you to transfer your save from one system to another, allowing you to start where you left off.

At the very least, maybe it'll mean NES games can transfer without having to rebuy them.

GulAtiCa

People expecting Earthbound to magically show up on the 3DS will be disapointed. Even if there becomes free cross-play tomorrow, there are no SNES games on the 3DS. That would really only affect NES games mainly.

Omikaru

Here's how it works on PS3/Vita.

You buy a game on PS Store that happens to be compatible with both PS3 and PS Vita. You then get both versions of that game for the single price.

Some examples:
- Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
- Hotline Miami
- Thomas Was Alone
- PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

If you buy any of those games on the PS Store, you get both the PS3 and PS Vita version. The same also applies to most downloadable PSone Classics. Buy it on PS3, and that version also plays on your Vita, and vice versa.

People are hoping the same for Virtual Console games on 3DS and Wii U. So for example, you buy Earthbound on Wii U and that game is playable on both your 3DS and your Wii U, provided both machines are linked to the same NNID account.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It was about to happen, they also show 3DS stuff on the WiiU eShop.

RedSwirl

At the very least this could mean that the stores for both systems are accessible on both, and that you could have one account system linked to both machines. Wouldn't necessarily mean cross-buy.

They've said before that they plan to make the eShop available on the Web, which would require...

Accounts, now if Nintendo would just do make a unified account system, (seems likely) and give me Wii U<->3DS VC "upgrade" charge per game, I'd be pretty happy. Now Ninty just needs to buy Sega from Sammy (My bet E3 2014 or fall 2014)

rjc571

Banned
People expecting to play their Wii/Wii U virtual console games on their 3DS are going to be sorely disappointed.

jackal27

Banned
At BEST we are getting an account system and nothing more. Maybe even a unified account system across both platforms.

You guys wanting to play Earthbound on the bus are better off with an emulator on your smartphone.

Javier

Another hint that can be added to the pile is that when you first run a Wii U, it asks you if you want to create a NNID, or use an existing one. So far nobody has been able to use the latter option, so it can only mean you will be able to create a NNID from a 3DS.

I'm hoping for unified eShops and cross-buy. Maybe Ambassadors will be able to download the 10 GBA games on a Wii U for free?

jmls1121

Banned
LOL so many setting themselves up for disappointment in this thread.

You will be allowed to buy 3DS games on the WiiU, and vice versa, and that's it. And you will like it.

Anteo

Can someone link to the thread were people freaked out about having 3ds games on the wiiu shop? cus taht happened months ago

Omikaru

At the very least this could mean that the stores for both systems are accessible on both, and that you could have one account system linked to both machines. Wouldn't necessarily mean cross-buy.

This is the minimum I'm hoping for. I'd be pretty happy if I didn't have to juggle between two eShop wallet amounts, to be honest. Buying a £15 or £25 card and having that amount locked to one platform instead of it being able to be spent across two systems is dumb.

Cross-buy would be great, though I think Nintendo are too greedy for that. Heck, they charged us to bring our VC games over from Wii mode to Wii U mode, which is just awful.

Another hint that can be added to the pile is that when you first run a Wii U, it asks you if you want to create a NNID, or use an existing one. So far nobody has been able to use the latter option, so it can only mean you will be able to create a NNID from a 3DS.

I'm hoping for unified eShops and cross-buy. Maybe Ambassadors will be able to download the 10 GBA games on a Wii U for free?

Well...except what if the "use an existing ID" option relates more to purchasing a new Wii U (as a result of malfunction or theft) after you've already created an ID? That alternative wouldn't necessitate a 3DS NNID.

It would be cool if it happens, though, but I have no hopes either way.

Ein Bear

I don't think it's worth getting too excited about this. You can already view (but not purchase) a lot of 3DS eShop stuff on the Wii U one, I imagine this will be a similar thing.

Would LOVE to be wrong though!

Scrawnton

i really cant see how a unified system will not come of this. I was just on club nintendo yesterday and was looking through my product history and it showed the day and date i purchased anything digitally form nintendo, even dlc (free or not). They already have purchase information tied to your club nintendo account, they just need to unify everything and allow you to redownload on other systems.

Would it be hard to set up a system that allows you to sign in to another 3ds and activate that as your primary and allow switching back and forth? Same with wii u... not sure why this is not already in place.

Anteo

I don't think it's worth getting too excited about this. You can already view (but not purchase) a lot of 3DS eShop stuff on the Wii U one, I imagine this will be a similar thing.

Would LOVE to be wrong though!

Not enough people have WiiUs to know :lol That's why they think is a hint. I mean it could be, but we have had 3ds games promoted on the WiiU eshop for months.

Somnid

My thoughts not necessarily related to the OP's exact find:

-Nintendo will merge the two shops, there's plenty of reasons to do so like gifting, and cross promotion as well as consumer benefits.
-The framework for has to be in-place for the web eShop which is a confirmed project.
-Nintendo ties Wii U eShop purchases to NNIDs, Iwata has confirmed that it works like this and we have alternate evidence it works like this (DDP etc).
-3DS eShop exists separately and would need a migration to the Wii U setup.
-Once this system is in place Nintendo can implement cross-buy.
-While they wouldn't use such a thing for most games due to platform cannibalization they would likely use it to clean up the current VC situation allowing upselling for cross-console support and perhaps provide it to indie devs that would like their games to be bundled like that.

The timescale is of course is the bigger question. This year? a year from now? 5 years from now? 10?

TunaLover

i really cant see how a unified system will not come of this. I was just on club nintendo yesterday and was looking through my product history and it showed the day and date i purchased anything digitally form nintendo, even dlc (free or not). They already have purchase information tied to your club nintendo account, they just need to unify everything and allow you to redownload on other systems.

Would it be hard to set up a system that allows you to sign in to another 3ds and activate that as your primary and allow switching back and forth? Same with wii u... not sure why this is not already in place.

Because it's Nintendo, they discovered internet recently.

Javier

Well...except what if the "use an existing ID" option relates more to purchasing a new Wii U (as a result of malfunction or theft) after you've already created an ID? That alternative wouldn't necessitate a 3DS NNID.
Well, yeah, that's the most logical answer, but has anyone been able to use that option in that particular way? Nintendo has said numerous times that NNIDs are locked to a single Wii U, and I haven't heard of a case of someone getting a NNID unlinked from one Wii U and linked to a new one. (Seriously, has this happened?)

Scrawnton

Because it's Nintendo, they discovered internet recently.

i understand that, but the wii u and 3ds are capable of being transformed like the xbox360 was last gen.

nintendo may be behind the time, but they are working on these things. I highly doubt they are completely ignoring the cry for an account system, just like for the wii they didn't ignore the game storage problem and allowed games to be played right off an sd card.

<Excellent explanation of cross buy system on Sony platforms.>

Huh.. Well that's a pretty nice concept, but knowing Nintendo, I don't think this will happen.

At best, they will allow you to play certain games on both platforms, but you will still have to pay twice.

Lasdrub

Accounts, now if Nintendo would just do make a unified account system, (seems likely) and give me Wii U<->3DS VC "upgrade" charge per game, I'd be pretty happy. Now Ninty just needs to buy Sega from Sammy (My bet E3 2014 or fall 2014)

That would be annoying. I would have to pay money three times to make my game work on all platforms if I bought it originally on Wii. Better than what they do now, but still completely stupid.

Meanwhile the copy of FF7 I bought on PSP works on three different platforms with no issues.

Nori Chan

Is this why I can't access to the eshop on the 3ds? It takes forever and leads me to an error screen. This is he first time this has ever happened.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Nice as it would be to have cross-buy, I'm not gonna get my hopes up. The lists are completely different, not to mention 3DS supports consoles that the Wii U doesn't and 3DS can't play SNES (....yet....maybe). Really, it only leaves NES games, and even then, that list is smaller if you count games on both systems.

Highest I'm hoping for is Nintendo Network ID and having a wallet that can be shared between 3DS & Wii U. Would make it cooler if I could spend my $30 from CN across both systems.

TunaLover

I think paying a fee to play the game you already own in other platform is the closest thing to a cross buy we will get, they did it with Wii/WiiU without need of unified account.

Cbajd5

EVERYONE PANIC

seriously i wanted to download the denpa men 2 demo

3ds if you can't connect you can give up

i'll understand

Top Bottom