• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online Review Thread

Wow! Those are some really solid scores. It amazes me that after so many titles in this series that the games are still consistently good. Most series of this game's calibre seem to do poorly after a second or third entry. Good for Compile Heart (and Idea Factory I guess). I look forward to playing the game when I have time to get around to it.

The Digitally Downloaded review scores it 9/10 on enjoyment while basically acknowledging it's a terrible game...

Apparently it pokes fun of its own poor design decisions, but really: Self deprecating humour only goes so far in excusing bad design. The line between irony and, well, having to play a rubbish game will quickly be shattered. Or at least that's how I see it.

From what I played back at a convention in May, it's the usual tackle dull sidequests to level up some numbers and (maybe) advance the plot, then unlocking more dull, brainless sidequests to advance this same simple gameplay loop. Doesn't help that all of this takes place in poorly designed areas which are so uniform you almost have to rely on the minimap just to get your bearings at any time.

Blyr

Banned
Really happy to see those scores, I ordered the CE when it was announced, but it's still reassuring to see that the game itself is pretty solid.

I checked the "lowest" scores first and the problems they mentioned aren't really anything that would detract from the game to me, ("underwhelming combat system", which is fine to me as I love games like Xenoblade and Phantasy Star Online, and this seems similar to them)

I've also been watching a few videos of the gameplay and it seems like a significant improvement over Hyperdimension U or even Megatag vs. zombies, so I can't wait ><

I hope they ship the CE soon, gosh @_@

Urgh. Urgh.

7dcf409242c4b3cd9ac68a2d78d7ccb1--goddesses-heart.jpg

DLCfM8tU8AAMpJG.jpg

Is this catered to the audience who likes really young girls?

koutoru

Surprisingly good scores for a Neptunia game.Looks like switching engines and gameplay style did wonders for them.

Jeffrey

It's great this is solid. The last few tamsoft nep games were god awful.

The question is as always... When do I have time to play all these games!

Probably been asked a million times b4 but is there a guide or visual as to the proper playing order of these games? Been thinking about getting into the series since there's been a number of threads on GAF lately.

Probably been asked a million times b4 but is there a guide or visual as to the proper playing order of these games? Been thinking about getting into the series since there's been a number of threads on GAF lately.

Play Re;birth 1 first, then you could play 2, 3 and megadimension neptunia VII. There are a bunch of other games that are side stories, you can skip those if you want.

But you can play any game you want first imo, you won't miss that much. Re;birth 1 is a good introduction to the world and main characters.

Aru

I'm just wondering if we have to play every single game in the series or not to follow the (probably mediocre) plot.

I have the first two Rebirth games, but I've yet to play them.

s_mirage

I'm just wondering if we have to play every single game in the series or not to follow the (probably mediocre) plot.

No, you don't. Rebirth1 introduces the characters but is in an alternate reality to Rebirth2. 3 follows on from 2 but is also mainly in an alternate dimension. You can pretty much jump in at any game to be honest; you'll miss the introduction of characters that appeared in previous games, but the plots are generally self contained.

While there is some continuity to it, the general consensus on Nep is that you're better off just jumping in with the most recent entry and then going backwards if you want more.

Strings

The Digitally Downloaded review scores it 9/10 on enjoyment while basically acknowledging it's a terrible game...

I would not take any of their stuff seriously. The same reviewer thinks Fire Emblem Fates is morally complex and Valkyria Revolution is a great war story because it references Shakespeare. Like, I've never disagreed with another publication so consistently.

Play Re;birth 1 first, then you could play 2, 3 and megadimension neptunia VII. There are a bunch of other games that are side stories, you can skip those if you want.

But you can play any game you want first imo, you won't miss that much. Re;birth 1 is a good introduction to the world and main characters.

Damn, why are teh Vita entries so expensive? WTF, aren't these older games, are they rare?

Haven't read through this properly myself (no real need) but it may be useful.

Thanks, I just want to play the important entries then if they're good and I like them I'll probably play the spin-offs.

Oh neat, didn't know it was another action spinoff. I like Neptunia U and MegaTagmension the most of the spinoffs.
Sadly had to drop this cause of the crazy amount of releases recently but I'll be sure to grab it when I have more room in my schedule.

JPS Kai

I had to put my review aside for a while to focus on Shadow of War. Now that it's finished, I'm nearly up to Rank 4 quests.

Overall I'm finding the game far too easy for my liking. The only difficulty spike has been damage sponge bosses which can easily be countered by weapon upgrades at the blacksmith.

Shame no reviewers are doing the online quests when I'm trying to find a match.

Aters

I would not take any of their stuff seriously. The same reviewer thinks Fire Emblem Fates is morally complex and Valkyria Revolution is a great war story because it references Shakespeare. Like, I've never disagreed with another publication so consistently.

I've yet to read a review with score lower than 9 from them. Who are those writers?

I refuse to believe in the existence of an oxymoron like a good Neptunia game

Look, FE Fates is filled with morally complex quandries like is it wrong to fuck this really hot guy even though he's my younger brother?

Those scores are higher than I expected. Still, I have a ton of other games that I still want to play, including Megadimension Neptunia VII. So I will likely pick it up in a few months, hopefully when the price has dropped a bit.

Navi

Did someone make a thread about this game? Would love to party up with some of y’all and play online

Quonny

After playing Ys the gameplay really doesn’t hold up but it’s still a lot of fun so far and doesn’t seem as bloated as the main turn based series, which I appreciate.

After putting an hour or so into this, I feel like people who complain about Code Vein should play this just to know what a game where attacks actually have no weight really feels like... This is a problem that pretty much every game developed by Tamsoft has and I can't fucking believe that they actually seem to be getting worse about it.

I'm certainly not hating it so far, but the particle effects make it kind of hard to even see what's going on sometimes, especially against smaller enemies, and with how fast the animations can be I actually can't tell sometimes if I actually did the skill I selected or not lol. Kind of surprised there doesn't seem to be an OT either.

Top Bottom