• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI: Shannon Loftis on Exclusives, MS Studios, Success of New IP, Scalebound and More

Interview over at GameInformer with Shannon Loftis, the general manager of Microsoft's Global Games Publishing. Article covers some things we've seen discussed already but there are a couple less worn topics included.

Scalebound
-How close to being completed was Scalebound when the decision to cancel it was made?

-We're not really talking about the state of the game. It was an incredibly difficult decision to make to discontinue it. Platinum is an amazing, incredibly talented developer.

When we make game decisions, we ask ourselves: Is this the right game? Is it the right experience? Is it the right time? And unless we can answer yes to all three, we won't continue on with a development cycle.

And you know, Platinum is obviously doing great. They came out with Nier: Automata, and I thought that was an incredible game, and I'm super excited to see what they do next.

Minecraft Exclusivity
-This is probably a horribly cynical question, but why don't you make Minecraft an Xbox exclusive?

-Because Minecraft players don't want that. Minecraft is a game that unites communities in a way that I think is very unique in the games industry, so we're embracing it.

We just announced Rise of Nations, which is a game we released six years ago – it's been on Steam for the last several years, and we just announced that we're bringing it to Windows 10 and we're actually supporting cross- network play between Steam and Xbox Live. So we're experimenting with really bringing gamers into the family from everywhere.

On the long lasting success of MS' recent IP
-We got Halo on the original Xbox and Gears of War with the Xbox 360 – do you think that you've added an iconic IP of that caliber in the Xbox One generation?

-Wow, that's a really interesting question. IPs in my observation seem to be developing a little bit differently this generation than they did in the previous generations.

[...]

And we have a few IPs that my team brought to the table over the last [generation] – I think Quantum Break is a really good example of a world and a phenomenon where there's still a lot of story that we can tell.

Announcing ReCore: Definitive Edition was a little bit of a signal to people that got into the world of Far Eden and fell in love with these characters that we believe that that's an IP with a lot of legs.

I think that the key to developing these IPs into something really special and something really monumental is sticking with them.

More at the article.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...clusivity-and-scalebound.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

_Aaron_

Microsoft has definitely dropped the ball on new IP this gen. They've had no killer titles like Halo or Gears were for the original Xbox and 360.

Nowise10

There is no way she thinks ReCore is the definitive IP added to Xbox this generation. I laughed aloud reading that.

All of her responses felt like generic PR answers, no personality behind them,

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
"And you know, Platinum is obviously doing great."

Almost sociopathic hand washing there.

When we make game decisions, we ask ourselves: Is this the right game? Is it the right experience? Is it the right time? And unless we can answer yes to all three, we won’t continue on with a development cycle.

so why exactly is Crackdown 3 still a thing?

There is no way she thinks ReCore is the definitive IP added to Xbox this generation. I laughed aloud reading that.

I believe she's saying that to make those IP into something like that MS has to stick with them.

Not that I'd expect to see Quantum Break 2 (though I'd love to be wrong).

Microsoft has definitely dropped the ball on new IP this gen. They've had no killer titles like Halo or Gears were for the original Xbox and 360.

The evasive answer to the final question betrays that they kind of know it, at least, even if they aren't exactly in a position to remedy the situation.

When we make game decisions, we ask ourselves: Is this the right game? Is it the right experience? Is it the right time? And unless we can answer yes to all three, we won't continue on with a development cycle.

We are gonna see a lot of cancelled games with that mindset

etta

my hard graphic balls
Microsoft can’t really handle studios, it’s a shame how they treated Remedy.
Couls’ve been their Naugthty Dog.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Look, many people said that Platinum would be in trouble after I cancelled their game. Right? Many people, OK? But I cancelled it and they are better than ever. Everyone is saying such good things about them. Frankly we can’t support them forever. They always want everything handed to them. But I am always with them.

jelly

We got Halo on the original Xbox and Gears of War with the Xbox 360 – do you think that you’ve added an iconic IP of that caliber in the Xbox One generation?

Good question. I couldn't say they haven't tried but they totally gave up, time will tell if they've changed their tune again.

I like a lot of stuff about Xbox but their first party set up/strategy isn't for me and reading her interview doesn't change my thoughts.

This gen has deflated my passion for them a bit and the likes of PUBG, Xbox One X and another Forza Motorsport release does nothing to raise enthusiasm.

Quantum Break was alright, I couldn't finish Recore as I found it too frustrating even after the new edition and loved Sunset Overdrive. When will they put a stop to the sequel factory stuff ? I'm relieved Rare is doing something different at least.

JaggedSac

That sounds good for them making a Recore sequel. They have a good framework, just give it proper time in the oven and that will be great.

dugdug

Banned
I feel like they were banking on Titanfall being the game that defines Xbox this gen, and, it just didn’t happen.

oti

Banned
Did he really just name drop Quantum Break? That's the most unexpected thing in this whole thread.
Why? She needs to say some names and there aren't that many to choose from. That's not me being cynical, but it's just the situation she has to deal with during these interviews.

I'll take Sunset Overdrive over any other new IP this gen. Easily.

Literally the only XO exclussive I wish I could play this gen, and a damn shame it died on its arse before the Play Anywhere stuff became a blanket strategy.

I’m hoping after Spiderman Insomniac will go back to it. Either getting a Steam port out or a multiplatform sequel, since they own the IP don’t they?

Regardless, MS really need to pull their fingers out.

With their competitors giving new successful IP’s like Bloodborne, Splatoon, Arms and Horizon, and reinvigorating older franchises in exciting ways like BotW, Uncharted, 3D Mario GoW, their combination of underwhelming new and stagnant old is really making it harder and harder to justify their place in the console market, and no amount of turd polishing with a more powerful box of lameness is going to change that.

They really fucked up their first party. If E3 2018 isn't a vast improvement then MS are in deep trouble.

Also Ori is probably their best new IP this gen. They need to really push Sea of Theives well, it may be their only chance for years to come of making a new home grown IP that sits alogside the usual Gears/Halo/Forza; somethings got to replace Fable's spot anyway ;-;

Kolx

And you know, Platinum is obviously doing great. They came out with Nier: Automata, and I thought that was an incredible game, and I’m super excited to see what they do next.

No thanks to you since you almost killed them.

Look, many people said that Platinum would be in trouble after I cancelled their game. Right? Many people, OK? But I cancelled it and they are better than ever. Everyone is saying such good things about them. Frankly we can’t support them forever. They always want everything handed to them. But I am always with them.

lol

I'm amazed at how she tried to spin that as a positive.

You can't expect a halo or gears to fall in your lap every generation.

Especially when you barely even try.

Personally, Cuphead is the game that I just keep thinking about since launch. It kinda fits that sort of phenomenon that Halo and Gears were to me with the launch of every Xbox. I think is hands down the best game they have put on the Xbox One. I know the game's on PC too but I don't have one.

They really fucked up their first party. If E3 2018 isn't a vast improvement then MS are in deep trouble.
We say the exact same thing every year and it never happens. Every year they close studios and outsource every IP. Look at Halo Wars and Age of Empires 4 as an example of what probably they will keep doing instead of funding studios. Not that there's anything wrong with that, as Creative Assembly and Relic are two damn fine studios.

demigod

Scalebound - The game was turning out like shit so we canceled it.

Minecraft Exclusivity - We need to recoup 2 billion we paid for it so no Xbox One exclusive.

Quantum Break - There is so much more story to tell. So much that the developer will be
developing on other platforms.

ReCore: Definitive Edition - Just lol.

Those are some dodgy answers. All stock PR statements aside, I'm sure Microsoft already knows that they've dropped the ball on new IPs this gen, but how recent was that revelation for them? Was it back at E3 when everyone started complaining about it?

Even if they signed some new IPs as far back as a year ago, game development takes a long time, and it'll be a while before we see the fruits of that.

Sorry Shannon but all you and Phil have done is ride on the success others have made. MS studios have been trash all gen.

Turn 10 have been great in supporting PG but their own titles have been too controversial and lack innovation and significant progress.

343, let’s not even start.

The Coalition, lots of hype but delivered a dud that’s dead in the water.

Rare, stay Rare when it comes to blockbusters.

Lion head, executed.

It’s unreal to me how heads have not rolled yet. But then again this is the new MS where everything has to be GaaS filled to the brim with loot boxes and micro transactions.

Crayon

I’m hoping after Spiderman Insomniac will go back to it. Either getting a Steam port out or a multiplatform sequel, since they own the IP don’t they?

Insomniacs grandchildren are going to be making spiderman sequels. That game going to be big.

And you know, Platinum is obviously doing great. They came out with Nier: Automata, and I thought that was an incredible game

I wouldn't know how incredible of a game it was, since you couldn't get it ported to Xbone.

AudioEppa

I feel like they were banking on Titanfall being the game that defines Xbox this gen, and, it just didn’t happen.

This was obvious asf.

The whole hype around that game from marketing to website articles was like its going to stop PS4’s growing success and be MS’s first “killer app”.... Nope

Lmao

As much as I hate the lack of exclusive new games these past few years, I can somewhat understand where they're coming from, especially with this interview.

Microsoft attempted new IPs, there was Rise: Son of Rome, which didn't set the world on fire, Sunset Overdrive which also didn't set the world on fire, Quantum Break and Recore to name a few. I personally liked Rise and really enjoyed Sunset and Quantum Break, but the climate is changing and trying to pour money into games you're not sure are going to succeed is very difficult. I hate that they canceled Scalebound but there's a reason behind it.

I just hope they don't completely abandon the Single Player narrative games. I still enjoy those and hope we get at least one or two of these in the upcoming years.

Literally the only XO exclussive I wish I could play this gen, and a damn shame it died on its arse before the Play Anywhere stuff became a blanket strategy.

Regardless, MS really need to pull their fingers out.

With their competitors giving new successful IP’s like Bloodborne, Splatoon, Arms and Horizon, and reinvigorating older franchises in exciting ways like BotW, Uncharted, 3D Mario GoW, their combination of underwhelming new and stagnant old is really making it harder and harder to justify their place in the console market, and no amount of turd polishing with a more powerful box of lameness is going to change that.
Hear hear, I’m hyped for Spider-Man but I hope insomniac creat a SO sequel multiplat.

Top Bottom