• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The warez scene is so fascinating

StayDead

I love how insane they must be to think this would put someone off downloading something.

2z6ts9e.jpg

I highly doubt anyone would say no to freely downloading a car. They're so damned expensive.

UglyPony

Used to race releases on top sites when i was a stupid little teenager. I bet now everything is automated and there is no such thing as racing and monthly charts of which racer moved the most data between sites.

goodfella

Spend your valuable time creating something and have it taken without payment. See how you feel.

Yeah this idea that stealing or theft is only applicable when a physical object is taken is a baffling.

As an example, if you had a groundbreaking idea for a new app, you told someone your idea, and they then took it, patented it and sold it, they stole your idea right? They didn't pirate your idea.

Trying to find technical loopholes around the concept of piracy to justify it is so transparent. If you're gonna do it, at least accept what you're doing is wrong (not referring to anyone personally).

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I love how insane they must be to think this would put someone off downloading something.

2z6ts9e.jpg

I highly doubt anyone would say no to freely downloading a car. They're so damned expensive.

it's going to be funny how real this becomes when people are downloading hacks to unlock battery capacity and self-driving capabilities in their car so they don't have to pay for them.

If I could 3D print a car, I would.
You can. It would probably be more expensive than a real car.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/amp16726/local-motors-strati-roadster-test-drive/
http://mashable.com/2015/11/06/local-motors-pre-sale/#2uQ3uEUJjsqi

Meohsix

Yes let me confess to cyber crime on NeoGAF.

Me and my cousin had DS flash carts and we were both eagerly awaiting the release of some silly game (that i won't mention the name of) but it seemed nobody cared about it because a week after it's release the rom was nowhere to be found. So my cousin went out and bought it, I dumped it and sent it off to one of the warez groups to release publicly.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

spock

Had a friend in the MP3 group cms. Rokkness, this was in the 90s and early 00s. He would encode rare or hard to find hiphop stuff from tape and other sources. He probably had a legit measurable impact in eminems popularity and awareness growing before he got signed by dre. One incident in particular I remember. We use to chat on this voice app called Iparty. There was a kid named muskrat who went to a huge college I think in Texas. Rock sent a few MP3s of eminems stuff. Muskrat was listening to it in his dorm and said people kept hearing and asking about it. Within like a week the whole school was bumping Eminem, a few months later dre signed him. Interesting insight into viral music back in the day.

What are your thoughts on sites sharing rare and general book, educational, learning and training courses from all fields. Lots of how to material seems to be a trend. Courses that cost hundreds or thousands of dollars. What about out of print books?

Cyanity

Banned
Man, some of you are so dang straight edge that it's embarrassing. I spoof amiibos on the reg using nfc tags. Does this somehow make me an international criminal? Jeeze.

Has anyone ever been involved with the shoplifting scene?

It always seemed like such a cool underground thing. All those groups competing to walk out of shops unnoticed with fashion brand clothes, cosmetics, jewellery, etc. all while avoiding attention from the mainstream & legal venues. There's probably a shit ton of drama and politics involved too

Major respect for these guys and gals. The shoplifting scene appears to be one of the very few subcultures that has been kept hidden underground for the most past, especially in this day and age.

Are there any documentaries, stories, books, etc on this kind of stuff?
I don't like reminding people of their old thread, but I don't think you're the right person to take the moral high ground here.... i mean giving your money to the north korean regime is way worse than pirating IMO...

I didn't judge you for it at the time, but then you post this here, way to go! What a shitty comparison

Seriously, the complete lack of awareness and irony in that post is beyond belief.

No one wants anything you have created... so your response makes sense.

If no one wanted what I created, no one would be pirating it so that doesn't make any sense. (Though it's true no one's bothered enough to keep the pirated version up-to-date. That bothers me a little. Pirates are getting a worse version.)

Another thing to consider is that, in the future, if we live in a some sort of post-scarcity society, will many be remembered as being on the wrong side of history by impeding the dissemination of information, thereby hamstringing the technical evolution of humanity?

The pursuit of profit may eventually be seen as a backwards notion. (Although these future generations would probably lack the full context and empathy to understand that people needed money to make a living. It's an interesting parallel, our view of history today regularly vilifies people who violated human rights in the past for money. If all knowledge is eventually a protected human right, will the RIAA be viewed in the same light as slave traders? This is an absurd notion of course, but we cannot predict the attitudes that our descendants will adopt.)

This is all silly conjecture, and the context of this discussion mostly pertains to entertainment media -- but our art can inspire us to improve ourselves, and it can be used as a valuable tool for us to identify our passions in life and pursue them, thereby putting more motivated and eager individuals into better fitting positions in the workplace, thereby increasing the efficiency and efficacy of Total Human Output, or whatever exotic metric our future AI overlords measure our worth by.

rucury

Banned
So many Morally Superior Upstanding Citizens in this thread using good ol' False Equivalence to pick on OP! Great job, ya'll!

Man, that first page is weird. Since when is copyright infringement is the same as being a violent racist or petty theft? They are doing the wrong things but they are incredibly talented at what they do. I also think the camadrie the various groups have are neat too. I don't see anything wrong in admiring what they are good at if you know that what they are doing is wrong and you should never perpetrate like that yourself.

Sometimes you gotta respect the hustle.

So true. Gotta get those Hot Takes in there quick, apparently.

OP, I also find the warez scene quite interesting. I wonder how they take to competition from unknown groups who maybe don't follow the rules and such. The major distribution channels seem to be at least in part controlled by members of release groups. There's also the fact that multi-billion dollar corporations can't really seem to stop the scene.

Man, some of you are so dang straight edge that it's embarrassing. I spoof amiibos on the reg using nfc tags. Does this somehow make me an international criminal? Jeeze.

No. However, it does imply you are a pedophile.
/s

carda114

I used to think Warez was a pyramid scheme or something because there used to be a user who would shill and promote the shit out of it on their avatar and signature in the old gametrailer forums.

EDIT: Actually I'm thinking of Lockerz

Lockerz was legit the shit. Got my 3G/Wi-fi Vita at launch $50 off with the way they do discounting. They no longer exist though, but I managed to snag some other things before then. Movies mostly.

Stencil

Only in GAF someone compares pedophiles with torrenting. What the fuck is wrong with you.

I'm not saying they're equal, I was only trying to make a point that it's stupid to respect anything simply for those reasons -- having a passion and keeping it secret.

I knew it would be incendiary to make that parallel, but I'd like to clarify that I in no way actually think they are analogs, morally.

RZR1911 used to advertise their BBS (all located in Sweden at the time) in their cracktros and demos

Voyager has a long ass list of BBS numbers
I still remember the numbers of some of my local BBSes.

Telex v3.22. XTreeGold and the Alt-255 directories. VBBS. Telegard. WWIV. ARJ vs. PKZip. Fossil drivers/X00.sys. None of my interns know what any of these things mean :).

Chittagong

Gold Member
I don't like reminding people of their old thread, but I don't think you're the right person to take the moral high ground here.... i mean giving your money to the north korean regime is way worse than pirating IMO...

I didn't judge you for it at the time, but then you post this here, way to go! What a shitty comparison

I take no issue when people on the internet disapprove my North Korea trip. I certainly don't need acceptance for my travels from anyone, least of all strangers online. In fact, I think someone in that DPRK thread did what I did above to the post, but swapped North Korea to Nazi Germany.

That said, getting back on topic, I do not think me having given money to a horrible regime somehow means that piratism isn't thievery. It's shoplifting, at home. Glorifying piratism as a 'cool underground thing' is incredibly naive and offensive to the artists and creators ripped off.

Fularu

Banned
I still remember the numbers of some of my local BBSes.

Telex v3.22. XTreeGold and the Alt-255 directories. VBBS. Telegard. WWIV. ARJ vs. PKZip. Fossil drivers/X00.sys. None of my interns know what any of these things mean :).

Those are too young compared to .lzh, .lha, .lzx, .dms and so on :p

Future

I don't know if it's the warez scene but I remember being impressed at the rate people got movies and tv shows out into the pirate scene. Tv show would have come on one hour ago ago, and someone recorded it, stripped the commercials, and put up an HD copy out within the hour. I remember times where people would apologize when they release a little later than expected, as if they offended the community. Like it was their job or something to pirate this shit and thought the customer free loaders out there would be disappointed

This was like in 2002, when the equipment to do this was not as prolific and there were no streaming sites really.

I'll never fucking forget when i saw Pirate Bay was down or blocked or whatever and thought "Let me try buying the music i was going download, no streaming or DRM bullshit, just clean MP3s, maybe... Amazon MP3?!"

I went to Amazon, loaded up my cart, and then: "Debit card not accepted - Credit card not accepted. - wrong country" Ok then,

I went straight to Youtube and used a downloader/converter for all the stuff i wanted at the time.

Permanently A

I actually kinda would like to see a documentary about this and the early days of the internet in general

A Mr. Robot or Narcos style show for the birth of the scene would be really interesting. Half following the people who run the scene and the lengths they go to in order to be the first, and the other half following the cops that are just discovering this new kind of criminal.

dracula_x

OP reminded me two quotes from Blackadder III:

B: Don't worry Mr B., I have a cunning plan to solve the problem.

E: Yes Baldrick, let us not forget that you tried to solve the problem
of your mother's low ceiling by cutting off her head.

B: But this is a really good one. You become a dashing highwayman, then
you can pay all your bills and, on top of that, everyone'll want to
sleep with you.

E: Baldrick, I could become a prostitute and pay my bills, then
everyone would want to sleep with me - but I do consider certain
professions beneath me. But besides which, I fail to see why a common
thief should be idolised, just because he has a horse between his legs.

B: My favourite's the Shadow. (Admiringly) What a man! They say he's
half-way to being the new Robin Hood.

E: Why only half-way?

B: Well he steals from the rich, but he hasn't got round to giving it
to the poor yet.
Look! I've got a poster of him.

E: Yes, I'm afraid I am. Unless, oh unless! Pass me the paper Baldrick
quick. (he opens the paper) Baldrick, why has half the front page been
cut out?

B: I don't know.

E: You do know, don't you?

B: Yes.

E: You've been cutting out the cuttings about the elusive Shadow to put
in your highwayman's scrapbook haven't you?

B: Oh, I can't help it Mr B. His life is so dark and shadowy and full
of fear and trepidation.

E: So is going to the toilet in the middle of the night, but you don't
keep a scrapbook on it.

this thread reminded me of this game

it's like a visual novel where you control a computer connected to representations of 80s-era BBSs

don't know how accurate the depiction of the warez scene is

axy42sW.jpg

this thread reminded me of this game

it's like a visual novel where you control a computer connected to representations of 80s-era BBSs

don't know how accurate the depiction of the warez scene is

axy42sW.jpg

You know from day one I always pronounced it "Psy-Sop" and I literally just now realized its "sis-op" for system operator. Why did I never realize this? Tell me other people said psysop...

pottuvoi

Banned
Demoscene also is responsible for lots of graphics tricks you see in video games today!!
Yup.

There were/is lot of interesting tech found in demos, first time I saw screen space shadows was in demo made by a friend. (Full software rasterizer back in the days. Sadly I do not remember the name of the group/demo.)

danowat

Banned
I remember getting my first PC and internet in the late 90's, and Warez was massive, 'Warez Rulez' was the catchphrase of time, I remember a "0 Day" was a big thing, but I was never really sure what it meant back then.

Chuckie

Only on GAF piracy is compared to pedophiles and does a guy who financially backed one of the most brutal regimes on this earth take the moral high ground.

looks like someone archived various commentary and files from the era

http://textfiles.com/statement.html said:
A wonderful thing happened in the 1980s: Life started to go online. And as the world continues this trend, everyone finding themselves drawn online should know what happened before, to see where it all really started to come together and to know what went on, before it's forgotten.
When a historian or reporter tries to capture the feelings and themes that proliferated through the BBS Scene of the early 1980's, the reader nearly always experiences a mere glimpse of what went on. This is probably true of most any third-party reporting, but when the culture is your own, and when the experiences were your own, the gap between story and reality is that much wider, and it's that much harder to sit back and let the cliche-filled summary become "The Way It Was." You want to do something, anything so that the people who stumble onto the part of history that was yours know what it was like to grow up through it, to meet the people you did, to do the things you enjoyed doing. Maybe, you hope, they might even see the broader picture and the conclusions that you yourself couldn't see at the time. This is history the way the chronicled want it to be.

the warez stuff is here: http://textfiles.com/piracy/

random excerpts

i know some of these words:
http://textfiles.com/piracy/groups said:
The first group we are going to "review" is TPU. TPU is a new group
that stands for, with alternating caps removed for your viewing pleasure, The
People Upstairs. I recently got my hot little hands on their first release,
Elite Acro List v1.0. Lo and behold, it was none other than BTW's Cheat Sheet
repackaged! It took us HOURS to assemble it, and five minutes for them to hack
it!
I called up their WHQ to flame those lamers! I logged on, filled out
the usual crap, sent my validation letter, and got full access to all elite
areas! I didn't have to get validated! Any fed could have called up, filled
out (even blatantly phony info) and busted 'em in all of five minutes!
While I was there, I checked out their file bases. They had TWO! One
was "TPU releases" and had THREE files in it! I downloaded another release of
theirs (one was the acro list and one was 1.5 megs and I didn't feel like
racking up my phone bill too much.) The transfer was fast (it was a 50K file)
and error-free.
When I got it back onto my computer, I tried to unzip it. The ZIP was
corrupt! Off of their WHQ! I PKZIPFIXed it and extracted a semi-working "K00L
3Li+3 TrAnSlAtOr". Pathetic, I tell you, utterly pathetic. I ran it. First I
saw their logo. Amateurish as all hell. Must have took 'em five whole
minutes.
Then I translated their NFO file for the hell of it. I looked at the
results. They had stripped it of all CR/LFs. It was just one big jumble! And
the translation was to high-bit ASCII. Someone ought to tell these guys that
high-bit ASCII went out with alternating caps, if not earlier! All in all, TPU
is the lamest group I've EVER seen.

someone got busted:
http://textfiles.com/piracy/manifest.-6 said:
Lastly, let us say a few words about the DORKS who have been compiling
huge phone list of all the pirate bulletin boards in an Area Code and
then sending them out onto the bulletin boards. Congratulations you
fucking two bit losers. In your attempt to be 'kewl' you have handed
the police, Pinkerton's, Wackenhut, the RCMP, the Secret Service, Bell,
and every anti-pirate asshole the phone numbers and rankings of the
elite bulletin boards. Think what you have done you dick brains.

Who the phucks payroll are these dickwads on. Are they really so fucking
mindless as to not think the cops and good guys were not going to get
their hands on those phone list. Phuuuuckkk you guys must have the
combined IQ's of a snail.

Permit me to suggest that a FIREBOMB be gently hurled through the phucking
windows of those dickwads who released that LEGENDS.ONT and named off all
the 416 and 905 bulletin boards. You dick wads really did a great favour
by giving their phone numbers to every dickwad who read your shitty little
grab for fame. Maybe your next grab for fame will be as a headline in
the newspaper as the largest house fire this century. Assholes.

Please use what phucking little brains you have next time before you
attempt to be kewl by exposing all the 416 and 905 bulletin boards to
the cops. DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB !!!

intro to a cracking guide:
http://textfiles.com/piracy/CRACKING/c1.txt said:
First of all, let me stress the importance of cracking in
our everyday life. Cracking it's not just about software, it's
about information, about all patterns of life. To crack is to
refuse to be controlled and used by others, to crack is to be
free. But you must also be yourself free from petty conventions
in order to crack properly.
You must learn to discerne cracking possibilities all around
yourself, and believe me, the development of this ghastly society
brings every day new codes, protections and concealing
mechanismes.
All around us grows a world of codes and secret and not so
secret patterns. Codes that are at times so familiar and common
that we do not even notice them any more... and yet they are
there to fool us, and yet they offer marvellous cracking
possibilities.

Let's take as an striking example BARCODES... those little
lines that you see on any book you buy, on any bottle you get,
on any item around you... do you know how they work? If you do
not you may be excused, but you cannot be excused if you never
had the impulse to understand them... crackers are curious by
nature... heirs of an almost extinct race of researchers that has
nothing in common with the television slaves and the publicity
and trend zombies around us. Cracker should always be capable of
going beyond the obvious, seek knowledge where others do not see
and do not venture.

a crusade against "lamers":
http://textfiles.com/piracy/overkill.txt said:
We do not want anyone to get the wrong idea about our group. We are
not here in the 914 area-code to reak havok. The purpose of our group is
to eliminate lamerism of any way, shape, or form. We have 4 members that
will find very illustrious ways to do this.
First off, what some people may wonder is, "What constitutes being
lame"? Well, if you're asking yourself that question, then you are, in
fact, lame. We, for the most part, only harass lamers in their purest
form. For instance, rarely, if ever, do we harass 9600 baud or above
users. The majority of the time its a 2400 baud or below user. In my honest
opinion, a person is lame no matter what baud rate they are at, but being
that Overkill is a group of compassionate people, we see that the "lame"
9600+ users at least have potential to become elite. 2400- users have no
hope in this matter.
We will work with the Elite SysOp's to eliminate the lamers off of
their respective BBS's. All Elite SysOp's are more than happy to comply
with us, because they want to eliminate lamerism as much as we do, they
just don't want to be as radical as we are in order to accomplish it. If
they have no intention of eliminating their lame users, then they are lame
and will pay the price. That is how we go about eliminating lamers off of
Elite BBS's.
But then there, of course, is what we call the "Ultra-Lamer". An
Ultra-Lamer is user who is lame enough to start his own BBS. Its not
enough that they start a BBS like this, but it is a breeding ground for
lamers. This MUST be stopped. These systems must be eliminated in the
BBS community. This is the biggest help in the elimination of lamerism.
If you kill the breeding grounds, lamers will have no where to go and will
wither away into nothingness.

Spence

I was pretty involved years ago in my teens, while there was some real fun times I can tell you that there was A LOT of drama and prestige.

I remember checking Warez sites in the early 2K. That was shortly before Kazaa and all that got popular. I stopped checking after those sites started to install weird adware and shit onto my PC. That's also when I learned to use Firefox.

Not really. Many many years ago I thought it was awesome. Compilation discs with insanely cool install menus and music that even had secret codes that would show hidden pages, pictures... The demos and music before a game during the micro computer era...

A moment I remember quite fondly is when some groups would crack some of the AAA tier Playstation games and make them better than the originals by adding PAL / NTSC selectors, restoring the original speed and removing that extra layer of lard on the characters.

Nowadays, not so much. It does not seem like they put a lot of effort, releases rarely work, it's not like the games can't be obtained legally (when a game could not be purchased for years before digital distribution happened, it was a different story). Also the feeling that rather than this feeling like it was a popularity contest decades ago, this time it's done far more for profit.

Top Bottom