• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2017)

Just finished 'The Tombs of Atuan', second book in the Earthsea series. I'm gonna break away from that stuff and jump right into Stephen King. I've been holding onto The Shining for a while and now it's time.

Finished Stephen King's IT recently. It was the first Stephen King book I had read in years, since I was a teenager, and coming back to his work now let me appreciate the more nuanced strengths of writing that I didn't notice when I was younger. How great he is at establishing character. How he can blend character building and world building seamlessly, using a setting's history and atmosphere to explore and inform a character's concerns and struggles and fears and flaws. How he can craft such vivid imagery with such precise word choice

Got me really excited to return to King books I've read before, and read ones I haven't. Got Misery and The Long Walk lined up next

IT itself was fantastic. For such a long book, it never feel like it dragged, I found the town of Derry to be perhaps the near perfect American small town version of Lovecraftian villages and hamlets with a dark secret, thanks to insidious he made the atmosphere and horror and how he blended the terror of It the monster and the corrupted town. I'd argue that It is the epitome of classic King horror: Small Maine town, dark secret, nightmarish otherworldly evil, the equally nightmarish evil of human nature, childhood fears and psychological horror, etc

And the characters, man. I don't usually get emotionally invested in books, not like how a movie or show or game can grab like that, but IT was an emotional rollercoaster ride.

TTG

Finished Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kasey, didn't love the way it developed, but what can ya do? It's not bad, more not to my taste. Maybe I've got too little in common with what everyone is wrapped up in. There are qualitative ways it could have been better, like one of the main narrator's affectation and the women weren't written well at all, but I think it comes down to the former really. There are plenty of great scenes to outweigh those faults.

Try something lighter next.

Finished reading Cannery Row today. First dive into Steinbeck and I liked it.

Going to read A Clockwork Orange next.

How good was the frog hunt? When someone asks what good writing looks like, there's nothing wrong with pointing to that chapter.

superfly

29082575.jpg

Delightful

So I'm around 350 pages into Needful Things (my Kindle edition is around 900...possibly the longest book I've attempted to read).

I'm really liking it so far. It's a massively slow burn, but the characterisation is amazing.

It's certainly beginning to become a bit more sinister now, so we'll see how it progresses!

Sean C

Finished reading Cannery Row today. First dive into Steinbeck and I liked it.
East of Eden is my favourite Steinbeck novel.

DRpKoW4.png

Fifteen Dogs opens with Hermes and Apollo making a wager in a Toronto tavern as to whether giving dogs human intelligence would make them happier or not, an oddball premise that plays out over the following 170 pages as the titular animals (though, despite the number in the title, that narrows quite rapidly) make their way in a human world that no longer quite makes sense to them the way it did before. It's an engaging read, at times recalling Animal Farm in its portrayal of a canine society attempting to organize itself on political and ideological lines; in others, it's a sensitive portrayal of relations between dogs and humans; and it's a meditation on the nature of language and identity.

Done: Golden Sun, The Name of the Wind

In process: The Thin Red Line, The Seven Storey Mountain, The Grim Company, Prince of Thorns, The Way of Kings, Sins of Empire and Morning Star.

Of the above, I reckon I'll have Morning Star and Prince of Thorns completed soon.

The threat of nuclear war last week has me re-reading this:

51oux2Ksy9L._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Love the first 3/4's of this book.

Update on Needless Things... 400 odd pages in and it's definitely turning more sinister!

How does this typically rank for King's work? I've been skim reading a few reviews and it seems like some really love it but others view it as weaker?

Maybe I shouldn't have slept on him for so long. Fantastic storyteller.

dakini

MDFHcf0.png
ITDIsRx.png

Just finished the Neapolitan novels by Elena Ferrante and was absolutely blown away. I was glad that I started reading these books without any expectations because I ended up being surprised at just how amazing they are. Ferrante's writing is so crystal clear and direct with such detail and emotion that they feel almost autobiographical. She's able to maintain an engaging plot while talking about politics, gender, and society in Italy during the latter half of the 20th century. I'd recommend them to everyone tbh.

Number45

Double post. 😱

The breakthrough is like only a 100 pages away. Eschaton. Remember Eschaton
Okay, I've just hit this word (just a mention, with a linked footnote). I'm definitely into this now anyway - I often find myself reading a section a little absent-mindedly then realise I've taken little in and having to go back and pay attention, but if anything I think that's helping me focus.

One thing I wanted to ask, and tell me to STFU if it gets covered, but what's the deal with the first section of the book about
Hal's admission interview to the university and his apparent inability to communicate after he ate something when he was young?
Not sure if that's a future thing (because they talk about his performance at ETA) but the mention of his young age is steering me away from that conclusion.

Double post. 😱

One thing I wanted to ask, and tell me to STFU if it gets covered, but what's the deal with the first section of the book about
Hal's admission interview to the university and his apparent inability to communicate after he ate something when he was young?
Not sure if that's a future thing (because they talk about his performance at ETA) but the mention of his young age is steering me away from that conclusion.

Yeah, chronologically, the first scene is the last.

TTG

Isn't there a kind of serenity to "Year of Glad"?

Sounded most of all like a drowning goat. A goat, drowning in something viscous.

Mumei

MDFHcf0.png
ITDIsRx.png

Just finished the Neapolitan novels by Elena Ferrante and was absolutely blown away. I was glad that I started reading these books without any expectations because I ended up being surprised at just how amazing they are. Ferrante's writing is so crystal clear and direct with such detail and emotion that they feel almost autobiographical. She's able to maintain an engaging plot while talking about politics, gender, and society in Italy during the latter half of the 20th century. I'd recommend them to everyone tbh.

What country are those covers from?

Finished The Ends of the World by Déborah Danowski
51FlskSeXTL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Another difficult polity read, though I wonder if its because of the translator???

The Ends of the World offers an interesting thought experiment for the state of the world as well as the state of how different ends of the world may happen. Though it is an interesting read, it offers several challenges at times, for example, sometimes "World" and "world" are not made clear so several rereadings of paragraphs must be done in order to understand the message the writer is trying to convey. There is a world for the modern humans, world for the non modern humans (people living off the products of the world, indigenous peoples), and worlds for "non humans", however, in several of the "ends of the world" the end refers to the end for all groups yet in others it may just be one (for example one ending could just be the wiping out of all humans but the animals and so on would remain, while another, the great conflagration (could be the aftereffects of nuclear war, but could also be +8C global temperature) would wipe everyone out). However, once all of this is made clear much of the essay is understandable and intriguing.

I would have wished more in the way of solutions were provided. Several examples of how people coped with the "world ending" scenarios were examined from texts to popular Hollywood blockbusters and niche films were provided, some people met the end face-on while others could survived though in a world with a much diminished quality of life and a world with literally 1% of the current population. Some of these had the remnant of humanity living underground. The writer unfortunately, in applying it to the current and real world, offered no such solution. Surely the power of science could enable us to survive a great conflagration by either escaping to space or even going "underground". However, the writer seemed a bit opposed to technology and capitalist endeavours solving it. Which is unfortunate and another issue I had with this, the writer was kind of too biased in their leanings, surely they could have been open minded instead of calling some corporations and companies sinister, or evil, or even just wholly anti capitalist. Even the groups that could provide solutions (breakthrough institute and other advocates of a technology addressing the environmental problems).

In any case, it was an interesting read, though challenging at times. It could be relevant and it does make some sensible statements, for example the Maya have shown they were able to survive through the end of their world, indicating the writer has hope that we too could do the same. Additionally, there also seemed to be hope that some changes could be made by just everyone reducing their energy expenditures and material possessions. And lastly, the suggestion that we shouldn't rush green innovations through technology and politics without considering the implications for other groups of people in the world seemed like a good idea. (though this was left a bit vague and without many details).

Update on Needless Things... 400 odd pages in and it's definitely turning more sinister!

How does this typically rank for King's work? I've been skim reading a few reviews and it seems like some really love it but others view it as weaker?

Maybe I shouldn't have slept on him for so long. Fantastic storyteller.

Needful things is one of my under the radar favorites of King. Ate it up as a kid in a religious household.

Finished Inferno by Dan Brown. Typical Dan Brown book, giving story lessons with Robert being played like a fiddle.

It's a cute and entretaining page turner

I keep forgetting to update. On the hard copy side of things I finished The Girl Who Played with Fire on Saturday. It was ok but way too long and more convoluted then what it needed to be. Now a little more than 100 pages into Blood Royal and I'm absolutely loving it. It's non-fiction about the murder of a Vice-King in medieval France and who did it and the process used at the time to solve the murder. Very interesting stuff.

Blood Royal: A True Tale of Crime and Detection in Medieval Paris by Eric Jager

Dec

I finished Age of Swords the other day.

I thought it had issues. Not much happens for a lot of it as basically the entire book is their journey (maybe an incredibly minor spoiler? Not even sure.)
to get weapons for the war
and the obstacles they encounter along the way. It gets moving eventually, though far too late.

I still enjoyed it because as usual with Sullivan's books, there are some really high highs. It was just unfortunate that all of those highs are 400 pages in. Not to say the first third was bad, just... filled with character development for secondary characters from book one to become more fleshed out in book 2.

The pay off is where Sullivan shines though and there is no disappointment there.

Also, if you want a fantasy book that really has great influential female characters this is definitely one you should check out. Basically the entire main cast (7 or so) are all women and all quite well written.

Next is Stephen King's IT for the GAF reads thread. It's quite interesting so far, and it's been so long since I watched the TV series that I don't remember any specifics at all.

Damn, that doesn't sound good. Sigrud being the protagonist is the only reason I'd even pick it up after Blades..

I'll add it to my "want to read" list and maybe I'll come back to the world of Divine Cities in a year or two. I'll stick to Good Omens for now, maybe I'll check out the books H.Protagonist recommended to me in some other thread some days ago too.
I actually found Miracles to be better then Blades. It moves faster, the characters are better and the divine stuff is more interesting. In Blades it was basically just another divinity doing shit if I remember correctly, Miracles has a bit of a twist on that.

Velcro Fly

I read

"Why I Killed Pluto and Why I Had it Coming" by Michael E. Brown

Really enjoyed this one. I had read quite a bit of it previously but I started at the beginning.

I'm about halfway through

"Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline

Enjoying this too. I bought it a while ago to get free shipping on Christmas gifts before I was a Prime member.

I have a lot of downtime at work so I'm reading a lot there.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I actually found Miracles to be better then Blades. It moves faster, the characters are better and the divine stuff is more interesting. In Blades it was basically just another divinity doing shit if I remember correctly, Miracles has a bit of a twist on that.
I liked Blades more but I like Mulagesh. Saw the Miracles twist coming miles away so it was kind of a let down given the mystique of Stairs and Blades.

Jintor

I keep forgetting to update. On the hard copy side of things I finished The Girl Who Played with Fire on Saturday. It was ok but way too long and more convoluted then what it needed to be. Now a little more than 100 pages into Blood Royal and I'm absolutely loving it. It's non-fiction about the murder of a Vice-King in medieval France and who did it and the process used at the time to solve the murder. Very interesting stuff.

Blood Royal: A True Tale of Crime and Detection in Medieval Paris by Eric Jager

oooh this sounds dope. on my next order.

i should show bookgafmy to-read list. it's too goddamn big right now because i kept buying books whenever i got depressed and after my latest cleanup i realised how much shit i have yet to read

Piecake

Yea, non fiction.

Only 876 pages huh? I guess if it's the best around, then that's what it's gonna be. Tell me it's not too slow or dense at least.

I thought it read pretty quick and felt it was an entertaining read as well

norm9

5_302017_51zam3ousnl--sx329-8201_c1-0-2933-1710_s885x516.jpg

Just started this. Really liked Killing Pablo and Black Hawk Down, so this was a no brainer. I love books that have maps in the beginning; it's extremely confusing until you read long enough to get the lay of the land. Book's alright so far.

JonnyKong

I finished Final Girls after seeing somebody mentioning it in here a few weeks ago and thought it was pretty decent. I at least couldn't guess the ending even though i thought I was clever enough to do so.

Just started this. Really liked Killing Pablo and Black Hawk Down, so this was a no brainer. I love books that have maps in the beginning; it's extremely confusing until you read long enough to get the lay of the land. Book's alright so far.[/QUOTE]

I thought the clarity with which he describes the fighting in Blackhawk Down was amazing. So good. I'll have to check this out.

I liked Blades more but I like Mulagesh. Saw the Miracles twist coming miles away so it was kind of a let down given the mystique of Stairs and Blades.
Oh, I don't really mean the twist of the story, which indeed is pretty easy to see coming and not really meant as a surprise I think, but mostly the way they handle the divinities (spoilers:
That they have kids and a ton of them are walking around. Opens it up to more characters with magic and such beside just the big baddy trying to conquer the world.
)

Jag

Oh, I don't really mean the twist of the story, which indeed is pretty easy to see coming and not really meant as a surprise I think, but mostly the way they handle the divinities (spoilers:
That they have kids and a ton of them are walking around. Opens it up to more characters with magic and such beside just the big baddy trying to conquer the world.
)

After Miracles, I think more stories in this world could be told in the future. Not unlike what Sanderson did with Mistborn.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Done: Golden Sun, The Name of the Wind

In process: The Thin Red Line, The Seven Storey Mountain, The Grim Company, Prince of Thorns, The Way of Kings, Sins of Empire and Morning Star.

Of the above, I reckon I'll have Morning Star and Prince of Thorns completed soon.

Love the first 3/4's of this book.

How the heck are you reading so many books at once? Especially ones of the same genre. Don't they start blending into one another after a while?

Drake

I have a shameful confession to make. I'm a huge fan of the fantasy genre and an even bigger fan of the LOTR movies. That said I've never finished reading Return of the King, so I've decided I'm going to finish the series for the 1st time. The last time I tried to read it was in the 90's, so I've forgotten a lot of stuff. It's definitely a lot different then the movies. Helm's Deep was only 1 chapter(WTF). Shelob appears at the end of The Two Towers. I could go on, there are a ton more differences, but I've liked what I have read. The prose is a little difficult at first, but once you ease into it, it's not too bad. Should finish ROTK in a few days and I can finally check this one off.

I have a shameful confession to make. I'm a huge fan of the fantasy genre and an even bigger fan of the LOTR movies. That said I've never finished reading Return of the King, so I've decided I'm going to finish the series for the 1st time. The last time I tried to read it was in the 90's, so I've forgotten a lot of stuff. It's definitely a lot different then the movies. Helm's Deep was only 1 chapter(WTF). Shelob appears at the end of The Two Towers. I could go on, there are a ton more differences, but I've liked what I have read. The prose is a little difficult at first, but once you ease into it, it's not too bad. Should finish ROTK in a few days and I can finally check this one off.

They're wildly different from the movies, and I believe Jackson had access to other material--appendices, etc--that allowed him to flesh out parts of the movies that aren't in the direct text of the books.

Further, Tolkien doesn't go into a ton of detail on the battles, which is why Helm's Deep is but a blip in the overall history.

The movies certainly made the "historical lore" easier for a mainstream audience to consume, and clearly fleshed out the battles as tentpoles around which the good vs. evil could be clearly laid out.

You're really not going to get anything else like it in modern fantasy.

Top Bottom