• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers Share Their Thoughts On Switch

"Hey Capcom can we have some thoughts on the Swi-"

tumblr_o1gqrcQZWf1si961ko1_400.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdxPGO10fG4

Vena

You could apply that same logic to UE4 games. Even if the engine works on the Switch, it isn't as simple as a drag-&-drop. I agree in that Okami HD should come to the Switch (even if it's a late port), but MHW not being announced for the Switch right now is at least somewhat understandable given the reports of it being in development for a long-ass time. I'd love a late port, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ace Attorney ends up being the first major Capcom franchise with a major mainline entry on the Switch (though some think it'll abandon Nintendo for mobile-only for some reason).

I think he means that 3DS owners, regardless of what they did, got screwed out of MHXX aka doubly screwed. There is no defense of it, and I don't know why you are trying.

also

Banned
As most of the team had only worked on PlayStation, this led to confusion over the A and B buttons. Circle and X act differently in different regions (on PS4), and the Nippon Ichi team was unsure if this was also true for Nintendo systems. In the end, they put in the ability for users to decide what role they wanted the A and B buttons to take.

I didn't think a developer could be this ignorant, lol.
Still, more control customization is always a good thing.

Terrell

Resident Evil Revelations 1+2 is coming. More is probably on the way. Can't really blame a company to be cautious against a platform with an uncertain future. Aiming to release games on Steam + PS4 + XONE was the right bet to take 6 to 12 months ago.

More is "probably" on the way? You'll forgive me if I don't take this on good faith when they've made a hard pass on several low-cost opportunities to add to the library already that would have easily built goodwill and shown at least a respectable level of interest in selling games on the platform.

Disney Afternoon Collection port? Nope.
Mega Man Legacy Collection 2? Double nope.
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3? Even more nope, despite it being built on the engine that Capcom ported to Switch.
Late port announcement for Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite? SUPER NOPE, despite that release needing all the help it could get.

There were some relatively small projects and low costs associated with at least 3 of those things and Switch's future was hardly uncertain past May to anyone but the superbly daft, which is coincidentally when USFII sold well more than Capcom clearly expected it to.

So nah, no one should be making hollow excuses for them on this.

Neoxon

I think he means that 3DS owners, regardless of what they did, got screwed out of MHXX aka doubly screwed. There is no defense of it, and I don't know why you are trying.
It’s not like we’ll never get MHXX. But yeah, by the time it comes out here, most MH fans will be all over World. Yes, the Switch is a hit now, but that wasn’t always obvious (especially coming after the Wii U). Some obvious games like the NES games & Okami are dumb misses on Capcom’s part in which I fully agree with the heat that Capcom is getting (maybe you could make an argument for MMLC2, but not the Disney collection). But considering that MHW in particular was in development for a while, it not having a Switch port immediately isn’t surprising. The way I see it, Capcom’s on the same boat as the likes of Activision, EA, Level-5, & (to an extent) Bamco. They have minimum support now in fear of the Switch being another dud, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them ramp up support next year onwards. They made dumb decisions this year involving the Switch, yeah, but it’s not like said third parties will ignore the Switch forever. My main concern is that nobody’s gonna bother with the games we get when said support comes due to the animosity that’s going around now (especially towards Capcom & their currently-lacking Switch support).

It’s not like we’ll never get MHXX. But yeah, by the time it comes out here, most MH fans will be all over World. Yes, the Switch is a hit now, but that wasn’t always obvious (especially coming after the Wii U). Some obvious games like the NES games & Okami are dumb misses on Capcom’s part in which I fully agree with the heat that Capcom is getting (maybe you could make an argument for MMLC2, but not the Disney collection). But considering that MHW in particular was in development for a while, it not having a Switch port immediately isn’t surprising. The way I see it, Capcom’s on the same boat as the likes of Activision, EA, Level-5, & (to an extent) Bamco. They have minimum support now in fear of the Switch being another dud, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them ramp up support next year onwards. They made dumb decisions this year involving the Switch, yeah, but it’s not like said third parties will ignore the Switch forever. My main concern is that nobody’s gonna bother with the games we get when said support comes due to the animosity that’s going around now (especially towards Capcom & their currently-lacking Switch support).

Ho I guess everyone would be thrilled by a late 2018 mhxx western release

Vena

It's not like we'll never get MHXX. But yeah, by the time it comes out here, most MH fans will be all over World. Yes, the Switch is a hit now, but that wasn't always obvious (especially coming after the Wii U). Some obvious games like the NES games & Okami are dumb misses on Capcom's part in which I fully agree with the heat that Capcom is getting (maybe you could make an argument for MMLC2, but not the Disney collection). But considering that MHW in particular was in development for a while, it not having a Switch port immediately isn't surprising. The way I see it, Capcom's on the same boat as the likes of Activision, EA, Level-5, & (to an extent) Bamco. They have minimum support now in fear of the Switch being another dud, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them ramp up support next year onwards. They made dumb decisions this year involving the Switch, yeah, but it's not like said third parties will ignore the Switch forever. My main concern is that nobody's gonna bother with the games we get when said support comes due to the animosity that's going around now (especially towards Capcom & their currently-lacking Switch support).

You keep talking about the Switch....

Did the 3DS cease to exist? Could have sword Metroid just charted the NPDs. You know, that console that has some fans on it for a game that's half localized, that console that is a success already? Ya... what about that one? What about those fans? Reducing this to "well they didn't know the Switch would succeed" is such a stupid, annoying coop out of an answer that I am getting tired of seeing it.

Stop trying to excuse Capcom's shit PR and actions with "but these other things too". The lack of MHXX has jack-shit to do with the Switch being an unforeseen success, it has only to do with shit practices and planning.

But ya, I am totally looking forward to playing the unannounced localization of MHXX in 2018. Because it makes 100% logical sense to localize it then. Maybe they should port it to the Amiga while they're at it.

They fucked it up. Just as they (royally) fucked up MvCI. Just as they've fucked up just about everything they'd done recently.

Neoxon

You keep talking about the Switch....

Did the 3DS cease to exist? Could have sword Metroid just charted the NPDs. You know, that console that has some fans on it for a game that's half localized, that console that is a success already? Ya... what about that one? What about those fans? Reducing this to "well they didn't know the Switch would succeed" is such a stupid, annoying coop out of an answer that I am getting tired of seeing it.

Stop trying to excuse Capcom's shit PR and actions with "but these other things too". The lack of MHXX has jack-shit to do with the Switch being an unforeseen success, it has only to do with shit practices and planning.

But ya, I am totally looking forward to playing the unannounced localization of MHXX in 2018. Because it makes 100% logical sense to localize it then. Maybe they should port it to the Amiga while they're at it.

They fucked it up. Just as they (royally) fucked up MvCI. Just as they've fucked up just about everything they'd done recently.
In terms of the 3DS, then you do have a point. Even if all hands are on deck for MHW, a good chunk of the localization work was already done for XX.

As for the "everything is a mess" comment, RE7 turned out to be pretty awesome. And SFV, despite its rocky launch, is actually pulling it together (though I'm sure we could contest SFV until the end of time).

The reason Capcom catches so much flack is that they're historically one of the more platform-agnostic Japanese publishers, but have not made any effort whatsoever to put games that make perfect sense for the Nintendo audience on Nintendo's new system. Not hitting the platform with Disney Afternoon, Megaman, or Okami is just straight pants-on-head baffling.

EDarkness

The reason Capcom catches so much flack is that they're historically one of the more platform-agnostic Japanese publishers, but have not made any effort whatsoever to put games that make perfect sense for the Nintendo audience on Nintendo's new system. Not hitting the platform with Disney Afternoon, Megaman, or Okami is just straight pants-on-head baffling.

The funny thing is that I figured Okami would definitely get released because it made a lot of sense and was announced well after the NS was released. Instead they decided to port over Resident Evil Revelations. Makes no sense.

Cerium

The funny thing is that I figured Okami would definitely get released because it made a lot of sense and was announced well after the NS was released. Instead they decided to port over Resident Evil Revelations. Makes no sense.

It's a test game. If we pass, they might consider porting Resident Evil 4!

Jubenhimer

I'm not really sure why Capcom seems to have a pathological fear of supporting the Switch. I mean, it's not like it's graphically intensive games that are too much for the Switch to handle skipping it. It's even simple shit like the Disney Afternoon collection, Mega Man Collection II (which mind you, are just NES game compilations), and I'd even argue Monster Hunter World skipping the Switch. All of them are more than capable of running on the system, and are even capable of being a success, yet Capcom doesn't seem to care. Why?

Anyway, to steer this topic back on track, The Switch is possibly the easiest Nintendo platform to develop for since the DS. So it's good to see Nintendo learn from the mess of the Wii U.

Sadist

As much I want Capcom’s output on Switch...

Can’t we be happy with other developers putting their stuff on the system and be enthousiastic about the development tools? Its not like Capcom were exactly fastmovers on Xbox and PS4.

Cerium

In terms of the 3DS, then you do have a point. Even if all hands are on deck for MHW, a good chunk of the localization work was already done for XX.

As for the "everything is a mess" comment, RE7 turned out to be pretty awesome. And SFV, despite its rocky launch, is actually pulling it together (though I'm sure we could contest SFV until the end of time).

RE7 underperformed and represents a major sales decline for the franchise coming off of RE6. Nothing they've done lately has met expectations. Except USFII.

Neoxon

I'm not really sure why Capcom seems to have a pathological fear of supporting the Switch. I mean, it's not like it's graphically intensive games that are too much for the Switch to handle skipping it. It's even simple shit like the Disney Afternoon collection, Mega Man Collection II (which mind you, are just NES game compilations), and I'd even argue Monster Hunter World skipping the Switch. All of them are more than capable of running on the system, and are even capable of being a success, yet Capcom doesn't seem to care. Why?

Anyway, to steer this topic back on track, The Switch is possibly the easiest Nintendo platform to develop for since the DS. So it's good to see Nintendo learn from the mess of the Wii U.
My reactions to each announcement went basically like this.
  • Mega Man Legacy Collection 2: Weird that it's missing Switch, perhaps the system's success came too recently.
  • Disney Afternoon Collection: Okay, this is starting to get weird.
  • Monster Hunter World: This was probably in development for a while, so whatever (it was later confirmed to have been in development since 3 years ago).
  • Resident Evil 7 Gold Edition: Now I'm starting to get annoyed, especially since the Switch got more RAM to support the RE Engine.
  • Okami HD: What the fuck?
Like I said, I do think they'll eventually ramp up support (likely with games like Ace Attorney & post-MHW Monster Hunter games). But even if they doubted the Switch's success early on, they made some questionable decisions with some of the games that they could have acted on faster. I get it, they didn't exactly act on the PS4 & XB1 that quickly, but stuff like the Disney game couldn't have been that hard to act on (given the timing).

As much I want Capcom's output on Switch...

Can't we be happy with other developers putting their stuff on the system and be enthousiastic about the development tools? Its not like Capcom were exactly fastmovers on Xbox and PS4.
Definitely, I'm glad that other devs are acting on the Switch. Bethesda in particular is one that I didn't expect to act on it as quickly as they are, & I commend them for that.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Bethesda is releasing their games on every platform possible without looking. It helps a lot that the SDK for the Switch isn't bad like with previous Nintendo platforms (thanks Nvidia).

Also, shifting ressources at the last minute isn't that easy for a lot of companies, especially with costly projects.

Resident Evil Revelations 1+2 is coming. More is probably on the way. Can't really blame a company to be cautious against a platform with an uncertain future. Aiming to release games on Steam + PS4 + XONE was the right bet to take 6 to 12 months ago.

I mean, yeah to some extent but that hasn't stopped SE, KT, and NIS from adapting pretty quickly.

I'd also add that its not just their output but their public comments stoking the fire. Namco output has been shit too, but they've already announced that Tales and Taiko Drum are coming to the platform and have assured investors more is on the way.

killroy87

This might sound defensive, but I'm bummed some gamers focus on framerate or resolution, and don't focus on, 'Is it fun?' or 'Does gameplay feel good?' I know we're working hard to bring quality games to the hardware for which we develop. To make them enjoyable on the TV. To make them enjoyable on the go. I'm proud of my team. We're working hard, we're not cutting corners, and we're not leaving anything on the table."

What are the chances even 1% of the gamers this quote is directed at internalize it in any meaningful way?

Really interesting article, thanks for the share.

Jubenhimer

Some people really expected RE7 and Monster Hunter World on Switch? Like really? Wow
One is a game that Capcom specifically asked Nintendo for more RAM to support, the other is a game that has a good history on Nintendo systems and is even being developed on an old engine. Hell yeah we expect these games on the Switch. If not now, then as soon as possible.

KonradLaw

Considering franchise history, six months ago, which would seem like the crazier title to show up on Switch; Monster Hunter World, or DOOM?

Franchise history? Doom. But considering what those games are then Monster Hunter World seems far less likely candidate. What Bethesda is doing with Doom and Wolf II seems more like lucky abberation than something people should base their future expectations for entire industry on.

killroy87

Franchise history? Doom. But considering what those games are then Monster Hunter World seems far less likely candidate. What Bethesda is doing with Doom and Wolf II seems more like lucky abberation than something people should base their future expectations for entire industry on.

So six months ago, considering MH XX wasn't announced for Switch, and knowing that MH has been a Nintendo-based franchise for like the past 7 years, you still would have thought a port of DOOM of all games would have been more likely than a port of MH World?

okp66FD.gif

Chie Satonaka91

Neo Member
Yeah Capcom being being so cautious on the system is weird. Even if the Switch was stillborn like the Wii U, those NES collections and Okami would have done well on it. I'm half way expecting some new announcement from them soon. They will have a shareholders meeting soon, and they will likely be asked why they don't have software announced for the system that people have been lining up for for months in lottery lines to buy.

Top Bottom