• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Manga |OT2| Not A Romance Manga

Desmond

yeah we all know how different art styles work

that doesn't mean we can't criticize what's in front of us.

Ikemoto made a conscious choice to change Sarada's outfit and that's going to open him up to criticism

Yeah, but we're just adults posting on a video game forum. I doubt Jump's readership even care :lol

brinstar

Yeah, but we're just adults posting on a video game forum. I doubt Jump's readership even care :lol

I'm not saying we need to rally up and force Jump to notice us I'm just saying we're having a conversation. This is the Naruto thread after all so we're gonna talk about what we think of the latest material good and bad.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Ikemoto made a conscious choice to change Sarada's outfit and that's going to open him up to criticism

To be fair, we are all wildly ignorant about the actual process, and just love to spout trash as if we all work at SJ. Editors have huge sway over mangaka, especially new ones. The new outfit could've been editorial mandate, "make the heroine more appealing," we have no idea. Calling for Ikemoto's head is pretty silly.

brinstar

To be fair, we are all wildly ignorant about the actual process, and just love to spout trash as if we all work at SJ. Editors have huge sway over mangaka, especially new ones. The new outfit could've been editorial mandate, "make the heroine more appealing," we have no idea. Calling for Ikemoto's head is pretty silly.

That's true, I don't mean to single Ikemoto out specifically. It could be any of them, hell it could've been Kishi. I'm more critical of the decision itself than where it came from. I just think it was a shit move, she looked better before imo.

Yeah thats why Sarada or even Sakura were drawn fine by Kishi. Does the editorial also tell Ikemoto to draw panels of Sarada in weird poses to show of her 12 year old assets?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yeah thats why Sarada or even Sakura were drawn fine by Kishi. Does the editorial also tell Ikemoto to draw panels of Sarada in weird poses to show of her 12 year old assets?

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Ikemoto as a virgin mangaka is far more impressionable. Can't really compare him to Kishimoto, who I'm sure carries enough weight to do whatever he wants these days.

But sure, it could be all Ikemoto's fault. Just saying, these workings are way more opaque than we traditionally give them credit for.

It's probably fair to not throw this entirely on the artist since he's new; in any case, the editorial reviewers are definitely at fault. Either they had him sex up Sarada or they saw it and approved it; either way puts blame on them, so I feel 100% fine at least calling them out. The artist might've been responsible too, but I'll wait for more before I make that call personally.

Fuck these editors though.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Talk about chapter: 2 posts or so

Talk about outfit: 2 pages or so

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Ikemoto as a virgin mangaka is far more impressionable. Can't really compare him to Kishimoto, who I'm sure carries enough weight to do whatever he wants these days.

But sure, it could be all Ikemoto's fault. Just saying, these workings are way more opaque than we traditionally give them credit for.

Kishimoto is known to bend down to editors in several key occasions. No one said anything about Sarada's outfit in Gaiden or Boruto.

Its clear Ikemoto is the one the behind this as the change only happened when he got the reigns. He tried changing the costume 3 times. You know what makes it even more clear: that it fits with his cringeworthy style. The 40 year old man thinks he knows fashion when he hasn't drawn a single attractive character for nearly 1000 pages.

Oh and he clearly draws Sarada in certain poses. I don't think anything major will come out of this complaining but I'm glad that most of the Naruto fandom is not putting up with this pathetic behaviour.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Do we know how to the boruto Manga and anime will work together? Will the anime start before they are gennin and eventually catch up?

rambis

Banned
It's probably fair to not throw this entirely on the artist since he's new; in any case, the editorial reviewers are definitely at fault. Either they had him sex up Sarada or they saw it and approved it; either way puts blame on them, so I feel 100% fine at least calling them out. The artist might've been responsible too, but I'll wait for more before I make that call personally.

Fuck these editors though.

Ikemoto isn't "new" in any sense. He started work in like the 5th chapter or so of Naruto and is responsible for a lot of character designs.

This manga is a mess. I'm angry at Kishi for letting his hack of an assistant and some filler novel writer take over. Oh well, I'm sure he will retcon this shit when/if he returns to the series.

Kishi reviews every chapter and is the lead writer of the story, as has been stated multiple times....

So if Ikemoto has been drawing Naruto characters for years then why can't he draw these Boruto characters and makes a meal out of the Naruto characters?

rambis

Banned
Last chapter was a step back for sure but I thought he was getting better up thru the first 10 chapters. Kishi said he would only allow Ikemoto draw the new series so maybe you all should ask him why he prefers that style.

Last chapter was a step back for sure but I thought he was getting better up thru the first 10 chapters. Kishi said he would only allow Ikemoto draw the new series so maybe you all should ask him why he prefers that style.
I would assume since his name isn't on Boruto Kishi hit that "no fucks given" mind set.

Ikemoto's style is just different really. Its jarring after being used to Kishi's and trying to look at this in the same mindframe. What he's doing to Sarada is unforgivable though.
Even the fan artists except for the most lewd of shit draw Sarada with some shorts on.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Outside of Sarada he has improved tremendously since he started out. I really like his style for some of the characters, but others (especially Konohamaru) look a bit off.

So if Ikemoto has been drawing Naruto characters for years then why can't he draw these Boruto characters and makes a meal out of the Naruto characters?

Ikemoto has been drawing backgrounds for years. Kishi is the character artist. You won't ever see stuff like this from him:

tumblr_n5bjkmllfo1sdbjpto1_500.png

which is sad as character expressions were one of the best things about the manga.

Then I don't know what's up then.

Simple marketing. You would know were you here when movies like Road to Ninja and The Last were coming out. Pretty sure they even tried to make it seem like Kishi "supervised" Blood Prison lol

Ikemoto isn't "new" in any sense. He started work in like the 5th chapter or so of Naruto and is responsible for a lot of character designs.

Kishi reviews every chapter and is the lead writer of the story, as has been stated multiple times....

False. Kishi not credited at all as a writer. Creatively Kishi has no say, he even said how he's leaving it up to his hack of an assistant.

Ahh yes, the good ol skimming over before publishing. Very important role.

SolVanderlyn

I should try catching up then. When do they start going away from the movie?
Only in the last two issues. Nothing has really happened yet, but there was a pretty big tease about Boruto's Byakugan (!) being "tainted by blue" or something like that and now he has a weird mark on his hand.

But yeah, the art has (IMO) gotten a lot better. It's not 1:1 with Kishi's style, of course, but it's no longer jarring.

Eqgm2HR.gif

RKk0gnA.gif

From that same Shikamaru picture, I think the most noticeable signature of Ikemoto is the way he draws lines on his characters. Their eyes and faces and hair end up looking slightly more "realistic" (maybe not the best word to use) and give it away as his art. His characters' chins can be very angular, too.

QUZHWk5.gif

Desmond

Boruto novel to release on May 2nd in Japan, as per next weeks WSJ. Will deal with Boruto's academy days. SP's anime will initially be about the same topic, an adaptation perhaps?

I mean look at this facial expression. Overall there is just a clear lack of focus on character faces, their expressions and proportions as Ikemoto is unable to draw either of them correctly. When he gets the expression right, usually the proportions are wrong making it look silly.

You won't ever get serious expressions like this without them looking funny:

tumblr_olvv7pPF7Y1vtui1do1_1280.jpg

Fj0823

If Sarada was 17 and established to like being Sexy, Like Ino, I would have no problem with her design.

As it is, it's disgusting and out of character as fuck

rambis

Banned
Ikemoto has been drawing backgrounds for years. Kishi is the character artist. You won't ever see stuff like this from him:

tumblr_n5bjkmllfo1sdbjpto1_500.png

which is sad as character expressions were one of the best things about the manga.

Simple marketing. You would know were you here when movies like Road to Ninja and The Last were coming out. Pretty sure they even tried to make it seem like Kishi "supervised" Blood Prison lol

False. Kishi not credited at all as a writer. Creatively Kishi has no say, he even said how he's leaving it up to his hack of an assistant.

Ahh yes, the good ol skimming over before publishing. Very important role.
This interview wasnt even that long ago

http://m.imgur.com/a/xdFtj

Kishi is controlling the overall direction. I suppose Kodachi's role as scriptwriter is to fill in the blanks but that doesnt mean he gets free reign.

Animeblue even comfirmed that Kishi was assisting in anime as well.

Conversely, Ikemoto is the one who goes seemingly unchecked. I do hate alot of his design choices but technically Boruto looks alot better than Naruto did early on. Ikemoto will improve hopefully but he's not terrible

To be clear, I thought the chapter was fine outside of weird sarada shoes. I just don't think the content matches a monthly manga.

I guess the anime will be interesting. Sorry if this has been talked about but is kishimoto involved in the anime at all or is it a completely separate thing. Like who is working on that story/direction?

rambis

Banned
To be clear, I thought the chapter was fine outside of weird sarada shoes. I just don't think the content matches a monthly manga.

I guess the anime will be interesting. Sorry if this has been talked about but is kishimoto involved in the anime at all or is it a completely separate thing. Like who is working on that story/direction?
He is involved according to an insider at NF. Who knows, he's helped on arcs before in Shippuden.

This interview wasnt even that long ago

http://m.imgur.com/a/xdFtj

Kishi is controlling the overall direction. I suppose Kodachi's role as scriptwriter is to fill in the blanks but that doesnt mean he gets free reign.

Animeblue even comfirmed that Kishi was assisting in anime as well.

Conversely, Ikemoto is the one who goes seemingly unchecked. I do hate alot of his design choices but technically Boruto looks alot better than Naruto did early on. Ikemoto will improve hopefully but he's not terrible

No he's not. He's simply relaying info on the series on behalf of the team as no one else was there.

Here's the more notable interview with Ikemoto and Kishi;

http://imgur.com/a/uA1hb

tVlmb6w.jpg

If it isn't clear enough from the credits that Kishi has given up the creative reigns.

Lmao Animeblue. You really don't know what you're talking about: he/she a SP follower with friends at SP.

Some of you seem real easy to trick. No wonder pubs try this stuff. Thank god the rest of the fandom isn't as naive.

Kishi is not credited in any creative manner so no.
In Road to Ninja he was a scriptwriter.
In The Last he was credited as a Chief supervisor and admitted to editing certain parts.
In Boruto he was scriptwriter and in charge of screenplay.

Some of you need to come to the reality that Kishi is finished with the series. He said so explicitly after Boruto the movie and in the above interview. We can still enjoy ourselves with Naruto GT but this ain't the sequel to Kishi's Naruto manga from his perspective.

SolVanderlyn

It's a sequel in my heart.

Khezu

Kishi has nice art every now and again when he actually gives a shit, but for everything else he is awful.

I'm glad he is as far away as possible on this.

The only negative so far with the Boruto manga is stripper Sarada.

rambis

Banned
No he's not. He's simply relaying info on the series on behalf of the team as no one else was there.

Here's the more notable interview with Ikemoto and Kishi;

http://imgur.com/a/uA1hb

tVlmb6w.jpg

If it isn't clear enough from the credits that Kishi has given up the creative reigns.

Lmao Animeblue. You really don't know what you're talking about: he/she a SP follower with friends at SP.

Some of you seem real easy to trick. No wonder pubs try this stuff. Thank god the rest of the fandom isn't as naive.

Kishi is not credited in any creative manner so no.
In Road to Ninja he was a scriptwriter.
In The Last he was credited as a Chief supervisor and admitted to editing certain parts.
In Boruto he was scriptwriter and in charge of screenplay.

Some of you need to come to the reality that Kishi is finished with the series. He said so explicitly after Boruto the movie and in the above interview. We can still enjoy ourselves with Naruto GT but this ain't the sequel to Kishi's Naruto manga from his perspective.
That interview is alot older than the one I quoted. Lol "more notable" .The one I quoted is actually from this year and actually details Kishi's involvement more. He's come out multiple times stating that he's involved yet you try to deny it everytime for whatever reason lol.

Also, I've followed AB for years now, how do I not know what Im talking about? He has "friends" across the entire industry, not just SP.

Since we're on the subject I'll post this Boruto special from this weekend. They confirmed that Kishi is apart of the original story that the anime starts off with. But yes PM please do continue informing us how he has no involvment...

https://youtu.be/7yfFSiJq7Vg

That interview is alot older than the one I quoted. Lol "more notable" .The one I quoted is actually from this year and actually details Kishi's involvement more. He's come out multiple times stating that he's involved yet you try to deny it everytime for whatever reason lol.

Also, I've followed AB for years now, how do I not know what Im talking about? He has "friends" across the entire industry, not just SP.

Its more notable because it has Ikemoto and Kishimoto and please stop trying to downplay what is said there: he is finished with Naruto, done all he can, looks forward to what Ikemoto does from a readers point of view etc.

Animeblue gets info from certain friends at SP. Its where the hilarious claim that Kishi oversaw the Kaguya anime filler arc came from, and some people thought they could run with it.

The truth is when Kishi is involved in a creative way with a Naruto story, he explicitly says what he has done, to as much of an extent as PR will allow (its why you never see these authors mention the word canon etc). With RttN and Boruto it was clear as he was a scriptwriter. SP tried to make it seem like Kishi wrote the last, too bad Kishi admitted not only did he not write it but he never had any desire to write it after the manga had ended.

Since we're on the subject I'll post this Boruto special from this weekend. They confirmed that Kishi is apart of the original story that the anime starts off with. But yes PM please do continue informing us how he has no involvment...

Keep bringing what SP say as if it has any hold lol. The same people that claim fillers to be canon, tried to market The Last as something Kishi wrote etc

Come on. This shit ain't hard. While I sympathise with those that wish to see Kishi's vision for a Part 3 as I too would love to see it, reality is Kishi concluded Naruto 2 years ago and at this moment in time is content with that. Perhaps one day Kishi will return to the series and I do hope so as he really defined it.

Erigu

I just watched the video, and the only mention of Kishimoto I heard was when the editor said he checked the plot every week and they would only air something if he gave it the okay beforehand. So, er... What are you talking about?

rambis

Banned
I just watched the video, and the only mention of Kishimoto I heard was when the editor said he checked the plot every week and they would only air something if he gave it the okay beforehand. So, er... What are you talking about?

It was posted on forums I frequent. Nothing you said contradicts me though...

Yado

Those coloured marks look weird, I can't put my finger on why they look so out of place. Maybe it's the way they're designed.

The animation was awesome due to it having Yamashita and the the guy who did part of the Naruto vs Sasuke fight.

The opening was very nice. I think this will be enjoyable to watch for me even if I see it as a filler sequel. Watching Naruto has become too much of a habit.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Really cool episode. The animation was beautiful.
Getting major Part 1 vibes here. The new cast members look cool too, such as the purple haired girl chilling with Sarada and Chou Chou (Anko's daughter?), as well as the tall kid with the turban. Can't wait until Metal makes an appearance.

Got a feeling this is gonna carry on the early Naruto spirit. As for Boruto himself, was that the Tenseigan? Somethings telling me Denki's dream of using jutsu with machinery may influence Boruto's jutsu, as the bolt around his neck, as well as in the title card have to mean something.

Can't wait for more. Looks like Inojin gets screentime next week, so here's hoping to see Sai and Ino too.

Top Bottom