• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2k18 Might Be The Most Broken Game From a Major Publisher in Some Time GIF HEAVY

Heman

I think we've just kind of taken it for granted that wrestling games are going to be bad from here on out, and nobody really cares anymore ...

Edited for brevity sake

Thankyou.
I feel like you encapsulated my thoughts on the newer games perfectly. I would go so far as to say it may have been a bad move going more 'sim'. The thing that got me into WWE was smack down shut your mouth with its one button grab/blocks i.e. easy to pick up , understand and play.

There also something to be said about how sluggish these games feel compared to their older counterparts . I feel like everyone in wading through jelly . If just feels bad to play.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Next time someone makes a "games that made you cry" thread, I'm gonna have to post "WWE 2K18 footage."

TKbupcK.gif

My God, this almost made me puke from laughing so hard at my desk. Thank God the day shift is gone or this shit could have been messy.

The Booker T meme is funny because it's illustrative of a larger point... But it's kind of unfair. A lot of characters in the game look excellent, but a lot look shitty. Like someone else said, TNA Impact only had ~25 guys on it.

Honestly I don't even care about the graphics that much... I'd take a downgrade and more stylized graphics if it meant that the move animations looked better. Animations always feel so stilted to me, and the characters seem like they're not in the environmentm but just super imposed on top of it. The way they interact with the ring never looks natural.

I also prefer the mix of hand animation used for the old moves too... Thought it gave it an excellent pizazze.

Raw64life

The Booker T meme is funny because it's illustrative of a larger point... But it's kind of unfair. A lot of characters in the game look excellent, but a lot look shitty. Like someone else said, TNA Impact only had ~25 guys on it.

Honestly I don't even care about the graphics that much... I'd take a downgrade and more stylized graphics if it meant that the move animations looked better. Animations always feel so stilted to me, and the characters seem like they're not in the environmentm but just super imposed on top of it. The way they interact with the ring never looks natural.

I also prefer the mix of hand animation used for the old moves too... Thought it gave it an excellent pizazze.

From the year 2000

9lcEDmR.jpg

wGD3C04.gif

wTb7WCZ.gif

Looks better than most moves from a wrestling game released 17 years later.

From the year 2000

I think all the animations in those games were done by hand where as everything is motion captured now.

The models are so more complex now I don't think animating would be feasible without motion capture.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I think all the animations in those games were done by hand where as everything is motion captured now.
it's badly mocapped too

good mocap requires a lot of manual cleanup to make it look right. if not you get, well, these games. weird, jittery weightlessness

I picked up Fire Pro Wrestling this year. It's the first wrestling game I've bought in probably more than a decade and I'm not disappointed. I've put maybe 50 hours into it and i havent watched wrestling in like 15 years. It's great. For the life of me I don't know why people keep buying WWE games. They've been garbage for years

What's new? It's a Yukes game. Until they actually fire them and get a actual new Dev, then... and only then will I pay attention.

Well, the founder and CEO of Yuke's, Yukinori Taniguchi, bought controlling 51% stake of slumping New Japan Pro Wrestling, then if NWJP has a videogame someday maybe Yuke's will make then...

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukinori_Taniguchi

Yuke's sold it off to Bushiroad, a card company years ago. It's actually done New Japan a whole world of good, especially now that Gedo & Jado have the book, and are incredible at figuring out what it takes to build new stars.

As for why the WWE games never get better, it's entirely in that WWE license. Whether we like it or not, the WWE is a near-monopoly in the Western market, so it's only really tenable to sell mass market wrestling content with the WWE logo on it. Since 2K knows this, there zero desire from anyone involved to actually fix the games, let alone get them to the level of NBA2K.

From the year 2000

9lcEDmR.jpg

wGD3C04.gif

wTb7WCZ.gif

Preach it. It's almost comical how much better those games look in motion over the current stuff. I'm pretty sure I'm remembering through rose colored glasses, but watching the new games, they look so stiff!!!!

Shady859

This thread makes we want to Redbox this game. Sadly the last wrestling game I enjoyed was WWE All Stars... I'd LOVE to see a return of the N64 era wrestling games, haven't tried that Fire Pro game I heard it's good old school fun.

Dr Thor

Neo Member
I own fire pro but I don't find it as fun as this game honestly, not as much to do and the gameplay isn't my cup of tea.

Yeah Fire Pro is not good either, IMO. Strikes are useless, the gameplay in general is kinda slow and weird, the visuals are old-school in a bad way in my opinion, and there's not really single-player shit to do if you don't like creating wrestlers or making stables or whatever.

I also find it hilarious when people are like 'Oh WWE games are always the same, it's never gonna change! Go buy Fire Pro instead, which literally plays identically to how it did during the DreamCast era!'

All wrestling games are bad. At least my friend has WWE2k18 and those games are fun to play together if nothing else.

FyreWulff

The funny thing is back in the day, apparently WWE actually cared about the perception of the quality of their games. The reason they switched from Acclaim to THQ/AKI was because of the perception that WCW had the much better game.

They probably just write the check and go "whatever" now.

Top Bottom