• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rescued piglets served up as sausages to firefighters

Status
Not open for further replies.

turmoil

Banned
The peta outrage over this non-story is ridiculous.

Anyone that has been on the countryside for some time can tell that if you do something nice for someone they give you stuff from their farm as a token of gratitude and rejecting it is considered disrespectful.

It's just normal everyday stuff, not some GRRM's dark plot-twist

Alienfan

No matter how "good they taste" celebrating eating one of the most intelligent animals out there that pass intelligence tests 3 year old humans fail will never not seem fucked up to me. Plenty of other things in the world to eat instead

Req6JmZ.png

Rabbit with red wine sauce is heaven in your mouth.

I would probably try dog and cat out of curiosity, but it's not available here.

Nictel

Let me get this straight:

Killing pigs to eat them = OK
Killing pigs to eat them after taking them out of a burning farm = Not OK

Suddenly the latter causes people to get more emotionally attached.
I hope they enjoyed their barbeque.

Hektor

Ayy I'm gonna remember this thread for the next time someone is trying to tell me that militant vegans are a myth

*Splinter

Doesn't bacon cause cancer? Well if it does, that would be a pretty fitting case of karma.
Wishing cancer on firefighters (and for eating meat, no less) might be one of the classiest things I've read on gaf.

These people risk their lives to save others in a profession that, incidentally, has a higher risk of cancer.

I don't know how you avoided a ban for that post, it's fucking sick.

The disregard for other creatures lives in here is a bit appalling.

But that's life. Even in 2017.

Yeah...I feel like this is kind of the status-quo here.
Treating other living, feeling beings with respect and dignity seems to be both an abhorrent and preposterous idea to a noticeable amount of folks on this forum(and the world of course...but that should go without saying).
"Empathy? For other animals?! Helping the environment? Eating a healthier diet!?! Pffffffffffffffffttt, I'm gonna go eat an extra 5 pounds of BaAaCoOn stuffed STEAKS just for you! herp derp lololol"
It honestly kind of bums me out how callous, cold/robotic, dismissive, and just plain mean-spirited some people can be whenever topics regarding animal welfare/rights or veganism pop up on here.

But eh...whatareyagonnado?
A lot of people are weirdly defensive about and threatened by the idea of vegetarians... doesn't really bother me because I think it kind of betrays the fact that they're uncomfortable with their meat eating on some level.

Certainly feels like this is the case.

Treating other living, feeling beings with respect and dignity seems to be both an abhorrent and preposterous idea to a noticeable amount of folks on this forum(and the world of course...but that should go without saying).
"Empathy? For other animals?! Pffffffffffffffffttt, I'm gonna go eat an extra 5 pounds of BaAaCoOn stuffed STEAKS just for you! herp derp lololol"
It honestly kind of bums me out how callous, cold, dismissive, and just plain mean-spirited some people can be whenever topics regarding animal welfare/rights or veganism pop up on here.

The most mean-spirited comment in here is what seems to be a vegan wishing cancer on a bunch of firefighters. Just so you know.

Frodo

Did people honestly think farmers really were raising these animals just so they could live a long life until they die of old age?

If you don't want to eat meat that is on you, but saying people deserve cancer because of this... seriously?

The peta outrage over this non-story is ridiculous.

Anyone that has been on the countryside for some time can tell that if you do something nice for someone they give you stuff from their farm as a token of gratitude and rejecting it is considered disrespectful.

It's just normal everyday stuff, not some GRRM's dark plot-twist

Absolutely. PETA can go fuck themselves... As usual.

We let a local farmer use part of our land for grazing sheep in the summer, and let him use to to gather hay. In return, we get the grass cut, and a delicious leg of sheep for Christmas.

Spacejaws

Saying the pigs were no better off burning in the fire...anybody else feel that's pretty harsh.

I mean burning alive is an absolutely terrible way to go whereas I (maybe naively) imagine the slaughterhouse try's to make it quick and painless.

"Empathy? For other animals?! Helping the environment? Eating a healthier diet!?! Pffffffffffffffffttt, I'm gonna go eat an extra 5 pounds of BaAaCoOn stuffed STEAKS just for you! herp derp lololol"
It honestly kind of bums me out how callous, cold/robotic, dismissive, and just plain mean-spirited some people can be whenever topics regarding animal welfare/rights or veganism pop up on here.

Has there even been any of this in this thread? All of the dick posts I've seen have come from people who are against eating meat. Such as your post. Hell someone literally said that the firemen should get cancer.

Find it funny how there is so much outrage over eating dogs in western countries but no second thoughts are given over eating pigs. Animals that are capable of complex emotion and are arguably smarter than even dogs

Puruzi

Banned
Where's that thread that said that there was no such thing as obnoxious pushy vegans or whatever?

Delicious bacon seeds saved from barn fire.

Bacon seeds grown into delicious bacon and gifted to the firefighters who saved them.

No problem detected.

LMFAO i'm going to call pigs bacon seeds now

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤

People on here lack maturity especially regarding anything that threatens their status quo. You also have people bringing up the ONE cancer post as a way of avoiding the discussion.

If you find yourselves deeply empathising with these fat, little oinkers then you are probably a nice, sensitive person. I'd bet you are more considerate towards other people than average.

However, it doesn't necessarily follow that anyone who lacks your porcine connection is immoral or callous. It's an animal, it's not a person. Anthropomorphism is confusion.

There are reasonable points to be made about more ethical farming approaches i.e. making sure those pre-sausages have 'a life well-lived' before becoming sausages. But that is besides the point- the timing and valueof their (inevitable) death.

They live to get fat. They die for my dinner plate. I am an apex predator and I crave tasty protein. Humans will devour pig flesh whenever they desire it. As ever, for ever.

People on here lack maturity especially regarding anything that threatens their status quo. You also have people bringing up the ONE cancer post as a way of avoiding the discussion.

Because it was an absolutely stupid thing to say, which boiled down to 'people who eat meat deserve to get cancer'.

What's the discussion to have though?
Farmers breed pigs with the end goal of slaughtering them and selling their meat as food.
Barn with pigs in sets in fire.
Firefighters out out blaze and gets pigs out.
Farmers do what they planned to do in the first place.
Give firefighters sausages.
Firefighters eat sausages.
Firefighters get cancer???

There's nothing more to it. It's not like they were pets, and the farmers thought to themselves "wouldn't it be ironic if we killed our pet pigs and made sausages for the firefighters who rescued them lol?". They were bred for the purpose of being slaughtered for their meat. I understand that people have problems with that, but there's nothing being done here that isn't being done daily across all farms of this kind over the world.

That was an appropriate use of that word, yeah.

Nah bruh, words have meaning and you can't just throw them around without understanding what they mean.

Sociopath: a person with a psychopathic personality whose behavior is antisocial, often criminal, and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience.

Now explain to me how these farmers exhibited antisocial behavior or a lack of social conscience.

The only sociopathic thing in this thread is the person wishing cancer in firefighters just for enjoying some sausages.

Aske

I know flat-Earthers are a thing, but I'm still amazed that we can't all just be chill about eating or abstaining from meat in 2017.

Some people empathise with non-human animals to the point of refusing to eat them. Others follow their omnivorous instincts, just like every other meat-eating species on the planet. Neither position should be considered morally reprehensible or confusing.

Hektor

Between wishing cancer or a slow and painful death on others, comparing what transpired to slavery and cannibalism, posting pictures of dogs getting axed chop by chop in a third world country and posts like these

it is indeed truly sad that people just feel too threatened about the prospect of changing the status quo and dont listen to those sound and sensible arguments made

Made for a fun read at work tho

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I know flat-Earthers are a thing, but I'm still amazed that we can't all just be chill about eating or abstaining from meat in 2017.

Food is an emotional topic. The emotional response is then magnified by a lot when you throw personal character judgments about morality and ethics into the mix.

Alienfan

Some people empathise with non-human animals to the point of refusing to eat them. Others follow their omnivorous instincts, just like every other meat-eating species on the planet. Neither position should be considered morally reprehensible or confusing.

Following every other meat eating species on the planet, would also mean being down for rape and murder. If people want to eat meat, so be it, but of their reasoning is "because it's natural" and it's okay because we've been doing it for a long time, that's just silly

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
That poster isn't the first to bring up the slavery thing. Comparing them might be a bit much, but it's not crazy to think people of the future will look back at our (factory farming, at least) meat practices as at least somewhat immoral.

"I'm going to kill and eat x because I like the way it tastes more than y"

Posts like this are so annoying, and I say this as someone who eats meat.

"LMAO PIGS ARE BACON SEEDS XD TAKE THAT PETA!!! EPICMEALTIME FTW!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom