• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The A.V. Club has moved to Kinja (i.e. Kotaku/Deadspin layout)

It was announced months ago. Everyone who posted on the site, expected the worse, and it's pretty shitty regardless. You have to wait for comments to "be pending", which can take a while, and sucks. Not to mention that the layout is crap.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm used to Kinja oddly enough (I'm a daily reader of both The Root and io9) so I find it easier to navigate now.

Does that mean that Univision now owns AV Club like they do with the other Kinja sites?
There was already a thread about this today and it was locked.
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1422842

That was locked because the original thread title was something like "The AV Club is DEAD" and it poisoned the thread.

Holy shit that is weird.

It's just fucking weird.

I don't comment (GOD no. That's what here is for) so I can't speak to how extra weird that must be, but just trying to read the place seems wrong somehow.

snap

Banned
i don't have a stake in this (don't really visit these sites, don't comment on them)

but i never liked the look of kinja, it's just always looked cheap and slapdash to me.

Looking at AV Club now after being used to the old way:
landscape-1473350299-ezgifcom-gif-maker.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Honestly it looks like a massive pile of shit. It's not a surprise because the internet's business model incentivizes blog spam (reposting press releases and YouTube videos while adding a few lines of snarky captioning) and circular link farm clickbait (i.e. "You might also like", "More on <site name.com>"). The AVClub's strongest content was long-form written reviews, which are now buried and difficult to navigate. Try to, at a glance, tell what content are reviews, what grades the reviews gave. Try to pull up a season of television and see what grades all the episodes have. I would guess something like 80% of the page's layout now consists of stuff other than the content and navigation core to the actual content you're trying to read. The actual main page is now entirely just blog posts about stuff I could have read about on reddit or GAF.

I'm sure some of this will be fixed, for example the fact that it's not obvious from the title that something is a review, as new content gets posted. But some of it is structural and reflects a changing priority for the site in response to market conditions.

All the other Kinja websites suck too. It's a large part of the reason I don't read them. The combination of a terrible trashy layout and content that does well under that format.

Not trying to be a jerk. It's precisely because I love the site and writers and that it's such a good resource that I feel disappointed.

I can do without the reviews, I'll just use metacritic to get a quick impression of overall reception. But Does anyone else have an example of a site that has the following requirements:
1) Clear, clean layout
2) "What's on tonight" with a basic show list and a brief synopsis of new shows or new seasons.
3) No, really, a clean, clear layout.
4) I actually don't care that one of the cast members of Dogwelder Adventures made a comment about inequality.
5) The layout should be clear and clean.

Oh gross.

I liked their old layout. Then again I usually just go there for old reviews for shows I just got around to watching.

Ugh. I hate I don't have my simple reviews layout with the show, episode and review score without having to click it.

I really appreciated that. Just click a show, then a season, then you see a column of the last several episodes with a one sentence headline and a grade. Simple and effective.

This thread made me realize that I actually go to very few websites anymore.

Same. Of course, I realized that long ago. I have some standby sites that have treated me well, so I stick with them.

Linkura

I'm used to Kinja oddly enough (I'm a daily reader of both The Root and io9) so I find it easier to navigate now.

Does that mean that Univision now owns AV Club like they do with the other Kinja sites?

That was locked because the original thread title was something like "The AV Club is DEAD" and it poisoned the thread.

Sorry, didn't realize. Didn't see the thread until after the title was already changed.

rekameohs

Banned
Is there anywhere to get a list of TV of the week reviews now? I don't want to have to sift through all of those blog posts.

remz

I used to love reading reviews there because of the good content and clean, easy to understand design. This just looks like messy shit now and that sucks.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Honestly it looks like a massive pile of shit. It's not a surprise because the internet's business model incentivizes blog spam (reposting press releases and YouTube videos while adding a few lines of snarky captioning) and circular link farm clickbait (i.e. "You might also like", "More on <site name.com>"). The AVClub's strongest content was long-form written reviews, which are now buried and difficult to navigate. Try to, at a glance, tell what content are reviews, what grades the reviews gave. Try to pull up a season of television and see what grades all the episodes have. I would guess something like 80% of the page's layout now consists of stuff other than the content and navigation core to the actual content you're trying to read. The actual main page is now entirely just blog posts about stuff I could have read about on reddit or GAF.

I'm sure some of this will be fixed, for example the fact that it's not obvious from the title that something is a review, as new content gets posted. But some of it is structural and reflects a changing priority for the site in response to market conditions.

All the other Kinja websites suck too. It's a large part of the reason I don't read them. The combination of a terrible trashy layout and content that does well under that format.

Not trying to be a jerk. It's precisely because I love the site and writers and that it's such a good resource that I feel disappointed.

I can do without the reviews, I'll just use metacritic to get a quick impression of overall reception. But Does anyone else have an example of a site that has the following requirements:
1) Clear, clean layout
2) "What's on tonight" with a basic show list and a brief synopsis of new shows or new seasons.
3) No, really, a clean, clear layout.
4) I actually don't care that one of the cast members of Dogwelder Adventures made a comment about inequality.
5) The layout should be clear and clean.

I just feel like this type of layout doesn't work for a site like The A.V. Club. I don't mind reading Deadspin and Kotaku because it's really just news story after news story.

The A.V. Club has more content, which requires better organization and a layout that requires actually browsing through the site, not just scrolling down forever.

I think this is going to hurt the content they produce.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This thread made me realize that I actually go to very few websites anymore.

I'm down to about 12-15 total that I go to, although the list tends to shrink more often than it gains a new entry.

They recently started trimming down a lot of reviews into gradeless recaps and ramped up their "Great Job, Internet" bullshit considerably.

This is, uh, an alarmingly good succinct version of what I was trying to get at. I wrote a custom adblock filter to remove "Great Job, Internet" from the old design because I genuinely well and truly don't ever want to see any of it. Again, I don't expect them not to do this, it makes total financial sense to do so. But it's just a worse product for me.

I legitimately come to NeoGAF for 95% of my news, whether it's gaming, entertainment or politics. There's always a thread pretty much immediately.

Ditto. If there is something I miss from my regular entertainment or news sites, I am sure that GAF will fill in the blanks rather quickly.

I legitimately come to NeoGAF for 95% of my news, whether it's gaming, entertainment or politics. There's always a thread pretty much immediately.

This seems like not the greatest call considering the number of posters who tend to be first with the news, and the sourcing they use to grab that news.

jon_i634

Banned
The site's been on the slide for a good while now, I just wish The Dissolve had stuck around.

Yup. I loved the Dissolve even though I never commented there. The podcast some of the writers started "Next Picture Show" is pretty good, though it's no replacement.

ZeoVGM

Banned
This seems like not the greatest call considering the number of posters who tend to be first with the news, and the sourcing they use to grab that news.

I mean, listen, I'm not saying I don't double check a story when someone posts a thread based on an article from comicbook.com. Haha.

I mean, listen, I'm not saying I don't double check a story when someone posts a thread based on an article from comicbook.com. Haha.

Yeah, anytime I see a thread with news, the second thing I do after reading the title is check the source. If it isn't somewhere reputable, I just ignore it.

Nimajneb

The layout is complete shit, even for a blog. Why is the main content off-center, and surrounded with useless white space? Why are the stories at the top of the page different sizes? Why does only one of them have a excerpt, while the others only show the headline? There's no consistency at all.

This whole layout is designed to bury stuff that's a day old. How do I find reviews of each season of Spartacus or Six Feet Under? I honestly can't figure it out. Search certainly doesn't work.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This whole layout is designed to bury stuff that's a day old. How do I find reviews of each season of Spartacus or Six Feet Under? I honestly can't figure it out. Search certainly doesn't work.

TV Reviews -> Enormous Dropdown -> Six Feet Under

But good luck if you want to check an episode rating at a glance, buddy

I used to read seasons upon seasons of their TV reviews and comment discussions episode by episode. It was great fun to catch up on shows I was behind on and read reactions and crit from when something aired. It's been really sad watching the site become just like every other content hose.

butalala

The AV Club has been more or less dead to me since the good writers jumped ship to create The Dissolve (RIP).

This redesign is terrible, but as others have said, seems to complete their downward slide.

What's the consensus/inside scoop on the reason for the Dissolve group's departure? I always assumed that the reason was that the AV Club was leaning towards blog/buzzfeed-style writing or a turn towards TV writing.

Also, is there any one good place/method to follow the old Dissolve group's writers?

Top Bottom