• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom announced (id/Bethesda, PC/PS4/XB1, idtech6, 1080p/60fps, gore), first details

Road

"The game is called Doom, not Doom 4. It's an origin game, reimagining everything about the originals."--Stratton

Mortal Kombat
Tomb Raider
Thief
Doom

Looking forward to "Resident Evil" for PC/XBO/PS4 in 2015.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yes, absolute psychopaths, every single one of them. That's why we constantly get all the mass shootings at these kinds of conventions every year........ohhh wait.

Hate to bring this up, but the shootings gave the games the bad name. I've played DOOM since that 95 Packard Bell was in my parent's room and it had never been a problem in my life until the news stories came out. It gives the series a bad rep, even if we have stuff like this to reference to.

gates-doom2-video.jpg

Bill Gates for crying out loud.

Mandoric

Banned
talking up 1080p/60hz is hilarious, given that the people who care about a new Doom were probably playing Quake 3 at a higher res and framerate 15 years ago.

iffy on ULTRA GORE and melee, excited for speedy movement and shotguns

All I'm hearing is "gore gore gore," which isn't terribly interesting.

Now Doom was obviously a violent series, but silly over-the-top gore isn't really what the games were all about. Some of the games that took influence from it like Rise of the Triad and Blood - and of course mods like Brutal Doom - were far more about that.

Well, let's just hope the game focuses also on what doom 1 and 2 did best. Clever enemy encounters/ map decisions as well as a good balance of difficulty / internal weapon balance (excluding the pistol, the pistol sucks).

Mman235

This is actually sounding good. A new (and hopefully non-screwed up) engine is icing on the cake.

Footage leak pls.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
It's not press only, they're showing this to Quakecon attendees. They aren't showing everyone else until next year apparently.

Ahh, so it's a reward for attending Quakecon.

Still, really stupid in my opinion. It will just end up leaking eventually, and at that point people will have a sour taste in their mouths since it was held back previously.

Well, people are already complaining about the violence...in a Doom game.

What did you expect?

I dislike playing too many violent games as much as you guys, but c'mon.

Standing ovation for violence, depressing. I mean, I love Doom and the violence is part of the package but, shit.

come on man, doom is a game about pure distilled fun, it's gory as a slasher flick would be. it's not standing ovation for violence, but because after years of doom (hah) & gloom, it seems that the new doom is actually a great game, true to its roots =)

Spoo

And it seems opinions on both ID and Doom 4 have been completely turned around lol.

I think imaginations are running wild, and that it's probably not nearly as exciting a prospect as it sounds right now.

I mean, hyper violence is fine, I guess, but that is pretty much all there is to shout about ... this is a new engine, yet no discussion on quality of visuals? The stuff about ripping arms and using them to open doors reminded me of the Duke Nukem Forever scene where Duke forces a door open saying he doesn't need a keycard, or something to that effect. It kind of sounds soulless.

I do like the idea of going back to the Doom roots, but man, I'm watching this very, very carefully before I get sucked away with any hype.

Cuburt

A demon just ripped the player's arms off and beat him to death with them. The room is breaking out into a standing ovation.
Am I reading this right? Standing ovation, eh? A literal standing ovation, as in people standing up out of their seats to applaud and cheer?

Okay, I'll show myself out.

Toxi

Banned
Any info on the level design? Forks in the road, hidden rooms, that sort of thing?

EDIT: Missed the yellow keycard.

A new twist on finding the yellow keycard: year off a corpse's arm and use it to open a handprint scanner.
Liking this, but I'm weirded out by the limited showing.

Kssio_Aug

The impressions seems nice! Hope they're able to run it at 1080p and 60fps on the Playstation 4 and something not so far from that on the Xbox One though.

Yes, absolute psychopaths, every single one of them. That's why we constantly get all the mass shootings at these kinds of conventions every year........ohhh wait.

Not so much about psychopaths as it is about getting genuinely excited over B-movie tropes.

Edit- to be clear, I don't care one way or another about violence. I care about people losing their shit over the kinds of things most folks grew out of after middle school. Watching characters get mutilated senselessly doesn't offend me morally, it offends me creatively.

talking up 1080p/60hz is hilarious, given that the people who care about a new Doom were probably playing Quake 3 at a higher res and framerate 15 years ago.

iffy on ULTRA GORE and melee, excited for speedy movement and shotguns

They have a "new" audience to care about and that audience is only playing not used to those settings.

Standing ovation for violence, depressing. I mean, I love Doom and the violence is part of the package but, shit.

Doom fans getting some Doom style gore get happy about it. News at 11.

robotrock

Banned
"A demon just ripped the player's arms off and beat him to death with them. The room is breaking out into a standing ovation."
Jesus!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

TheXbox

Mortal Kombat
Tomb Raider
Thief
Doom

Looking forward to "Resident Evil" for PC/XBO/PS4 in 2015.
That's actually a pretty reasonable path for Capcom to take after how shit 6 was. The brand is in full-on recovery mode at this point, and so were all those franchises for that matter.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
I think imaginations are running wild, and that it's probably not nearly as exciting a prospect as it sounds right now.

I mean, hyper violence is fine, I guess, but that is pretty much all there is to shout about ... this is a new engine, yet no discussion on quality of visuals? The stuff about ripping arms and using them to open doors reminded me of the Duke Nukem Forever scene where Duke forces a door open saying he doesn't need a keycard, or something to that effect. It kind of sounds soulless.

I do like the idea of going back to the Doom roots, but man, I'm watching this very, very carefully before I get sucked away with any hype.

It's too late for me lol, was hyped anyway but now I'm having heart attacks. Still, it seems they aren't making it a horror focused thing like Doom 3, and quite frankly that's the num 1 thing I care about. If anybody who saw it live could confirm if there were iron sights or not, that would be great.

After very successful reimagining of Wolfenstein by Machine Games, Pete Hine's comments and positive impressions from Quakecon.... they deserve a little break.

And good on em aswell.

jett

D-Member
Is this engine an updated IT5 or a properly new engine? An id engine without Carmack seems so strange, even stranger that it was announced with such a little fanfare. Those days really are gone.

I was hoping for more of a survival horror take instead of a gore fest.

I always had wondered a similar thing.

2 doom games would be preferable, one about extreme survival horror with amunition preservation and avoiding combat in clever ways.

And another that would basically play like doom 1 and 2.

To be fair, this is quakecon... one can only expect so much reflective contemplation.

Squire

Banned
Next year is serious bullshit when GamesCom is next month.

QC attendees don't need a year-long exclusive. Come on.

Bishop89

Im sorry, but that is the most exciting OP ive read in a long time. It just sounds all amazing. Double barrel shotgun baby! This just shot up to the top of my most wanted list.

Im imagining old doom with fantastic graphics. The most exciting thing is no health regen. Thank fucking god!!

Tain

While I'm sure the engine supported it, I seriously doubt that most QuakeCon 2014 attendees (or serious Q3 players in general) were playing the game in 2048x1536 in 1999.

Top Bottom