• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer turns 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manu

I agree with pretty much all of this, especially the bolded. Although I'm not sure if The Body is really my favorite episode, I just appreciate it for sort of existing and actually being well executed instead of shlocky. The decision to have no soundtrack/music was really effective and inspired.

Hush is probably my all around favorite episode. Pretty funny that one of the best eps of the series is in what is widely considered the worst season. The best episode in the Buffyverse overall though is Hole in the World/Shells (I'm counting it as one episode cuz fuck you).

DUDE. Are you me or something?

Buffy, eh? It's a'ight.
D1nJNaj.jpg
D1P4yao.jpg

I don't know about favorites. I like too much of it all to pick any.

Pilgrimzero

I got into the series late.

Watched Angel season 5 on tv and loved Spike so I went back and watched all of Buffy and Angel thanks to Netflix (when they only shipped discs).

Fantastic series.

Media

Hey guys I have a life size battle damaged Puppet Angel in the box.

Who wants to touch me?

I of course also have all the seasons, a bunch of comics, and both games.

Lothar

Banned
Buffy, eh? It's a'ight.

I don't know about favorites. I like too much of it all to pick any.

I just have a bookcase full of VHS tapes of Buffy and Angel.

I decided not to replace them when I heard the DVDs didn't have the "Previously On" clips from each episode. Is that still the case?

Oh god I want to rewatch it all now.

1. Favorite season?

I really like them all except 1 which takes time to get things going. 3 or 5 or 6?

2. Favorite episode?

Hush

3. Favorite character?
Spike and Anya in Buffy. Definitely Wesley in Angel.

Didn't get into the show until a couple of years ago when my friend made me watch it. Loved the season 1-5 arc. Wonderful story. I hated Season 6 a lot. But Season 7 was a nice ending. I do still read the comic series, even though it gets pretty goofy, but it's an easy read.

I did enjoy Angel a little more though as a series.

My favorite character was definitely Drusilla, even in her limited role. She was always so fascinating to watch float through scenes. Had a major soft spot for Faith too. Loved her no-nonsense attitude especially when Buffy would try to take some moral high ground.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I never watched this, but this year I've begun watching it with my wife, and I complement it by listening to the podcast "Dusted".

Fantastic show, I'm at episode 5 session 4 right now, watching Angel S1 in parallel.

S1 Buffy is a mixed bag, season 2 is mostly great (that finale) and season 3 is incredible, almost all of them are great episodes. Season 4 has had a rocky start to say the least, I'm glad Angel is out, but damn! I miss Cordelia, I hope it picks up. The movie is absolute crap.

Angel is interesting, though I have only watched 4 episodes.

I just have a bookcase full of VHS tapes of Buffy and Angel.

I decided not to replace them when I heard the DVDs didn't have the "Previously On" clips from each episode. Is that still the case?

I don't recall my DVDs ever having them. Not sure about the newer releases. Mine are from the early 2000s.

DeathyBoy

Banned
1. Favorite season?
S3 is the peak season, but S4 has the best individual episodes.

2. Favorite episode?
1) The Body
2) OMWF
3) Restless.

3. Favourite character?
S2-S3: Oz/Willow
S4: Giles.
S5: Spike.

DBT85

A show I never got into when it aired, but probably 10 years later while we were showing it at work (SciFi Channel) I really got in to it, then Angel, then Firefly.

Amazing stuff all around. Wife is mad for it too.

Sloane

Banned
Such a great show, should rewatch it sometime. Never made it through Angel though, think I quit mid way season 3 or so. Maybe I should start finishing that first.

Anya's childlike reaction to
Joyce's
death has stuck with me over the years. Talking about how she was drinking a glass of juice, and how now
Joyce
never will again. Amazing episode overall

Once More With Feeling is the GOAT episode. Especially Anya's rockstar part of "I've Got A Theory". Never fails to make me laugh

Yes, Anya is my fave character. How did you guess?

Such a great show, should rewatch it sometime. Never made it through Angel though, think I quit mid way season 3 or so. Maybe I should start finishing that first.

How could you watch all of Buffy but not be able to make it through Angel? Usually it's the other way around.

Buffy S6/S7 was just not good. Angel S5 was probably the best season in the Buffyverse.

Goodstyle

On March 10, 1997 Buffy the Vampire Slayer aired on the still fledgling WB network. Following the critical failure of the movie, the show was entirely the vision of creator Joss Whedon. Check out the unaired pilot, shot in 1996.

I first watched the show last year and it’s definitely one of my favorites. The perfect blend of comedy and drama.

1. Favorite season?
Probably S3 for me. So many strong episodes, and the last high school season. It and S2 are the show at its peak, imo.

2. Favorite episode?
Without a doubt “The Body” (in addition to being my favorite episode of television).

3. Favorite character?
Either Xander or Cordelia. Both have significant development and are hilarious, heartfelt characters.

For those with Netflix, catch it while you can. Both Buffy and Angel may be leaving next month (hopefully they can keep them).

Favourite season: I'm ride or die for season 6. It has the highest highs of the series and the most unforgettable final confrontation in the series. The musical is still my fave TV episode, period. The way this season mashed levity and despair so aggressively against each other was a marvel to watch.

Favourite episode: Once More, With Feeling.

Favourite character: Willow. Her character arc (along with Wesley's) are my fave in the entire Buffyverse.

3rdman

1. Favorite season?
S2. Angel/Buffy drama...it really made me see SMG in a new light.

2. Favorite episode?
"Once More with Feeling" by a mile. Hush is a close second.

3. Favorite character?
Buffy...I can stare at her all day.

For those with Netflix, catch it while you can. Both Buffy and Angel may be leaving next month (hopefully they can keep them).
Speaking of that...FYI, the musical episode I mentioned above is (for some reason) horribly butchered on Netflix. No idea why...it's not like the are worried for time...Good thing I have the DVDs. :p

gimmmick

One of the first shows I remember binge watching when I first got the season 1 dvd from amazon for like 50% 10 - 12 years ago. I bought the dvd box set after the second season.

Buffy%20The%20Vampire%20Slayer%20Seasons%201-7%207.jpg

Lomax

Favorite character is Willow, favorite season... not sure... though my least favorite is season six, but season six did of course have my favorite episode, Once More With Feeling.

I really miss this type of format in TV, instead of 13 episode Netflix specials, we used to get full 20+ with arcs and proper character development.

While I don't disagree, remember that 20 episodes 40 minutes long is roughly the same amount of time as 13 episodes 60 minutes long. But I think sometimes the shorter episodes encourage better editing and tighter scripts which improves overall quality.

Lothar

Banned
How could you watch all of Buffy but not be able to make it through Angel? Usually it's the other way around.

Buffy S6/S7 was just not good. Angel S5 was probably the best season in the Buffyverse.

I'm the same way. I stopped Angel in either S1 and S2. I watched a few other episodes here and there. It seemed more serious not as fun. Things like Cordelia becoming more mature didn't really appeal to me. Also why I didn't like S6 and S7 of Buffy.

3rdman

I tried to get into Buffy once - I watched most of the first season, but it just didn't click. But I liked the Angel character, so I gave his series a spin, and ended up liking that way more.

Buffy S1 is really odd all around. It starts as nothing more than a monster-of-the-week kind of show but finds itself in the last few episodes as things come to a conclusion. As others have mentioned, you need to get to S2 to really appreciate the show...it gets SO much better.

Edit: I'm surprised there is so little love for "Tabula Rasa" here.

evanmisha

An absolute classic. Season 6 is my favorite because I loved the internal conflicts and the different tone. Normal Again is probably my favorite episode but not by much, there's too many 10/10s to list them all. Favorite character is probably Tara or Fred from Angel if we're counting the full Buffyverse. To anyone on the fence, just watch it. It's on another level.

Veedot

Still working my way through currently on season 4, are the graphic novels worth reading after finishing the show?

20 years ago....ahhhhh...feeling my age.

But yea I was a 9 year old boy when this came out and refused to watch because "haha girl show, don't care its vampires!! Its probably dumb anyways!!"

I tried watching a couple times when I was older but it seems younger me may have been onto something because I sure wasn't impressed and maybe watched a grand total of three episodes.

anaron

Lol what the hell is it with this meme that Angel S5 is good? It's fucking trash.

I swear to god half the reason it's even lauded is because straight dudes were finally comfortable watching a sausage fest.

Media

Anya's childlike reaction to
Joyce's
death has stuck with me over the years. Talking about how she was drinking a glass of juice, and how now
Joyce
never will again. Amazing episode overall

Once More With Feeling is the GOAT episode. Especially Anya's rockstar part of "I've Got A Theory". Never fails to make me laugh

Yes, Anya is my fave character. How did you guess?

Seriously, I cry everytime. Damn fine acting and so fucking in character

And no one will explain to me why!

SoulUnison

Banned
Is Angel *really* worth watching?

I watched through Buffy for the first time a couple years ago and really enjoyed it, but I've put off starting Angel because, well, Angel is the main character there, and it feels like his entire characterization on Buffy is "look smoldering and mysterious and occasionally lose his shirt."

Can he really carry his own show?

Favorite Season: Probably 3. 2 is great as well, but like others have said, 3 was Buffy at its peak.

Favorite Episode: The Body. I love/hated how grounded and intense it was. Just typing about it right now gives me chills and watery eyes.

Favorite Character: This one is tough because all of my favorite characters don't really become my favorite until Angel (Angel, Wesley, and Cordialia). Angel has no sense of humor until he gets his own spinoff show, Wesley is a prick until he gets becomes a regular in Angel, and Cordialia doesn't really have much development until Angel. I'll probably have to go with early seasons Spike.

EDIT: How could I forget about Giles! He's definitely my favorite character from Buffy :)

anaron

I watched through Buffy for the first time a couple years ago and really enjoyed it, but I've put off starting Angel because, well, Angel is the main character there, and it feels like his entire characterization on Buffy is "look smoldering and mysterious and occasionally lose his shirt."

Angel is able to carry a show largely due to his supporting characters, particularly Cordelia. He becomes a much brighter, funnier and endearing character.

S3 and 5 my fave overall.

Recently watched some on Netflix. All in HD, even s1 16mm looks alright. Absolutely buries my DVDs.

Need Buffy and Angel on Blu-ray please.

Media

I hated Angel on Buffy,but he's amazing on his own show.

^
What they said

Angel is a brooding douche in Buffy, but he really becomes likable in his own show. Angel also has a better supporting cast than Buffy imo.

DeathyBoy

Banned

Yes.

It starts as a procedural of the week, but it's by far the GOAT when it comes to constantly evolving and shifting. If something doesn't work, they fix it very quickly. By S5 it is legit almost a completely different show to how it was in S1, but with continuing character arcs/backstory.

And Wesley's character arc is one of the greatest in television history.

-shadow-

Man I want a reboot of this so badly Episode VII style. But I know that would never work. It's just my fandom vs actual common sense. Man it's time for a new binge watch!

Any Blu ray collection(s) in the works?

There's an absolutely dreadful HD remaster, but I doubt we'll get anything decent unfortunately.

Not counting season 4, yes! It easily rivals Buffy in many spots. I absolutely love the series!

1. Favorite season?
Either the third or fifth season. Both for different reasons. I love the finale feeling of both seasons and both easily could've just ended the series (and kind of did), but have a very different feeling about how it ends.

2. Favorite episode?
Best: The Body - You know why if you've seen it. It's amazing!
Favorite: Normal Again - Great acting? No. Great directing? No. Great execution? No. Amazing idea? YES! The while idea of this episode I love it so ridiculous much! I rarely see this one mentioned, but man that idea that absolutely everything in the Buffyverse is in her head is so good!

3. Favorite character?
Buffy: Cordelia - she's a lovable bitch that's absolutely stupid. You know she cares, but popularity is just her life at that time.
Angel: Cordelia - she's a lovable bitch that's absolutely stupid. You know she cares, but without the popularity she actually learns.

ascii42

2. Favorite episode?
Without a doubt ”The Body" (in addition to being my favorite episode of television).

Good choice. I'd probably say "Hush" for my favorite episode of Buffy and of television.

^
What they said

Angel is a brooding douche in Buffy, but he really becomes likable in his own show. Angel also has a better supporting cast than Buffy imo.

Yeah, you'd think a show with Angel, Wesley, and Cordelia as main characters sounds like a bad pitch, but they are all better Angel characters than they were as Buffy characters.

Lol what the hell is it with this meme that Angel S5 is good? It's fucking trash.

I swear to god half the reason it's even lauded is because straight dudes were finally comfortable watching a sausage fest.

Worst post in NeoGAF history. Your second line really makes me question how an adult could be so ignorant. Or maybe you're just a child. Who the fuck cares.

anaron

Worst post in NeoGAF history. Your second line really makes me question how an adult could be so ignorant. Or maybe you're just a child. Who the fuck cares.
Lol lighten up.

Sorry, Angel S5 is a rejection of everything good that came before it. There's some flashes of greatness in there (You're Welcome, Smile Time, Illyria) but it's so utterly disrespectful to so much of what made the show great.

3rdman

Yes.

It starts as a procedural of the week, but it's by far the GOAT when it comes to constantly evolving and shifting. If something doesn't work, they fix it very quickly. By S5 it is legit almost a completely different show to how it was in S1, but with continuing character arcs/backstory.

And Wesley's character arc is one of the greatest in television history.

angel-connor-cordelia.jpg

DeathyBoy

Banned

I mean I can kinda see someone saying that at the start of the season when it feels disjointed and lacking focus... but everything prior to 5.15 is setting the scene so when shit hits the fan it hurts even more. It's masterful in retrospect. And that last batch of episodes is fucking killer.

It's also by far the best arc for Gunn on the show. J August Richards fucking crushed it in Season 5. Dude was throwing acting bombs.

1. Season 4
2. Hush/Seeing Red/ Touched
b/c they actually let Willow sleep with the person she was with in almost 5 years after Buffy banged so many people
3. Willow
4. I'll never like the following characters: Oz, Spike, Angel, Riley, Oz, Oz, Jenny

Krowley

I've always thought they should do a prequel show.. Set in the 70s, or 60s or 50s. A slayer from back in those days. It would be the easiest way to revive this. With Whedon involved, it could be awesome.

The comics just ruined the idea of a modern followup show. The comics are just a total disaster IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom