• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alamo Drafthouse hosting women-only Wonder Woman screenings June 6th

Kthulhu

One of the things I hate most in this world are hypocrites, if you wouldn't do a whites/men/cis only night then don't pull this kind of bs. I m a regular customer at the Alamo Drafthouse near me, but they aren't being clever or making a statement here. They are doing a small part in making the current atmosphere a little more toxic and give the alt-right type ammo for their nonsense.

If a homophobic baker refuses to make a cake for a gay couple, another baker deciding to publicly stop baking for cis customers is the wrong and dumb thing to do. It's eye-rolling cringy.

It's a handful of screenings, not a ban on men from watching Wonder Woman.

Jinaar

Today is the day I wake up and Twitter my indignity that somewhere, somehow, for 2 hrs, women and women alone get to watch a movie about a strong female character. On a Tuesday.

Derwind

Insecure little men arguing about this one-time event are probably the same people that would react negatively seeing a toddler scrape his/her knee and get a wacky cartoon bandaid for it and then demand they also get the same bandaid on their undamaged leg.

Because equality?

Probably the same people that get upset over Police being allowed to attend pride only in civilian attire.

Protein

Banned
The MRAs are crying again. They're the same needy fuckfaces that despise women because one girl was not romantically interested in them. Pathetic fucks.

That's an interesting way to generate internet buzz, because I'm sure the genesis of the idea wasn't to celebrate a female superhero. Nah, with how sassy and sharp those replies are this seems like an attempt to get people to show their arses.

They couldn't possibly want to celebrate one of the only female superhero characters with a limited showing with an all-female staff and donate the funds to Planned Parenthood.

No, it must be to make men angry, because the world revolves around them.

Deepwater

One of the things I hate most in this world are hypocrites, if you wouldn't do a whites/men/cis only night then don't pull this kind of bs. I m a regular customer at the Alamo Drafthouse near me, but they aren't being clever or making a statement here. They are doing a small part in making the current atmosphere a little more toxic and give the alt-right type ammo for their nonsense.

If a homophobic baker refuses to make a cake for a gay couple, another baker deciding to publicly stop baking for cis customers is the wrong and dumb thing to do. It's eye-rolling cringy.

you're comparing women celebrating a cultural icon to homophobic bakers?

noted.

might as well complain about all-black universities or the million women march.

people are fucking stupid.

Thatsa Fail. HBCU have white people all in it and Men marching with Women in the marches.
I'd love an all Black people screening for Black Panther though, so imma not contradict myself here lol.

It's possible to think of this as its own fun event without making ridiculous comparisons to obvious bigotry.

Fuchsdh

I don't see anything wrong with giving women an exclusive screening to celebrate a superhero that represents them.

To me, it comes off as treating women as an "other" who wouldn't normally see superhero films without some rah-rah sisterhood PR stunt, instead of half the moviegoing audience. Smacks of the historical problems even liberal groups have had where women are somehow turned into a minority class despite being literally half the world population.

Doesn't mean the people whining about it aren't being jackasses either (and the problem with othering women is also going on in a lot of their responses) but it still seems weirdly anachronistic to me.

Either way, this was definitely troll-bait. I'd give the Alamo more credit if there were serious repercussions to taking this stance, but I highly doubt their target demographic overlaps much with the angry people on social media.

Unsurprisingly one of the comments strikes at the significant but isn't aware of the irony. Asking why there isn't a men only screening for Thor, Spider-Man, and Guardians of the Galaxy? Maybe it's because there are multiple movies each year, every year, where the hero is some variation of a white guy.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Mr.Shrugglesツ;238148145 said:
This might be the only time I've seen people wanting to see a Thor movie.

I know. At least ask for a screening of John Mctiernan's original Predator. Something like that with actual testosterone.

Timeaisis

I don't see an issue. It's Wonder Woman, a movie where the superhero is a woman, which doesn't come around too often. If they want to have one screening devoted to women, I think that's pretty cool. It's not like they are banning men from watching any of their other screenings or anything. The outrage here is pretty stupid.

Let me guess, the privileged white male class is throwing a fit because this news is casting a light on the very real oppression that women face in our society (and that said men benefit from everyday)? Yeah, that's guilt manifesting as outrage. A very popular pastime of Trump supporters as well!

Deepwater

To me, it comes off as treating women as an "other" who wouldn't normally see superhero films without some rah-rah sisterhood PR stunt, instead of half the moviegoing audience. Smacks of the historical problems even liberal groups have had where women are somehow turned into a minority class despite being literally half the world population.

Doesn't mean the people whining about it aren't being jackasses either (and the problem with othering women is also going on in a lot of their responses) but it still seems weirdly anachronistic to me.

Either way, this was definitely troll-bait. I'd give the Alamo more credit if there were serious repercussions to taking this stance, but I highly doubt their target demographic overlaps much with the angry people on social media.

women are a minority class though.

otapnam

Maybe some female staff at alamo thought it would be a cool idea to have a screening where they could invite their non comic girlfriends or bring daughters n nieces to watch the movie and celebrate ladies.

Its not about keeping men out. Let them have their fun

Damn, two screenings out of hundreds in a year in a city that has six Drafthouses that tries to create a fun space for a ladies night and this is what it takes for people to start clucking about 'paternalistic chauvinism' and 'hypocritical sexism.' Where the fuck are y'all the rest of the year?

Anyone saying they're hypocrites or that this is anywhere near bakers discriminating against same sex couples are showing their true colors and can fuck right off. It's a one night showing of a movie about a character that empowers a gender that has been historically disempowered. Time to grow up.

Auctopus

Fucking props to whoever's running that Facebook/Twitter account.

I don't know if it's been mentioned already but they mentioned on Twitter that the showing is also welcome to people who identify as women too.

I can't lie - there's a part of me that bristled when I saw this news. Exclusion of any kind is something that I don't think should be championed and I think it's absolutely possible to have an event that's pro a certain demographic without it being exclusionary to others. I'm black, but I also wouldn't want a black-only screening of Moonlight or Black Panther for example.

That being said, I also get that this event isn't about me. That even if I lived close to an Alamo theater, there would be many other times that I could catch the movie if I wanted to. And I hope that the intent by Alamo with a woman-only screening is something that has a positive effect on the women who are excited to attend it: that it provides a comfortable, positive atmosphere for the intended demographic.

It's not something to get riled up over as a guy, especially when you understand that the intent is coming from a positive place and not from a misandrist one. That being said, I hope that in the future they consider other ways to promote a certain atmosphere without it being exclusionary of other people.

Attitudes in this thread are why we'll never properly progress. Is a great example of two wrongs don't make a right.

Also, totally fell for their marketing ploy, which is all it really is.

Smacks of the historical problems even liberal groups have had where women are somehow turned into a minority class despite being literally half the world population.

"A minority group refers to a category of people differentiated from the social majority, those who hold the majority of positions of social power in a society, and it may be defined by law. In the social sciences, the term "minority" is sometimes used to describe social power relations between dominant and subordinate groups, rather than simply indicating demographic variation within a population"

Being a minority isn't about the number of people.

That's a nice idea. It's not like those dudes don't have any other theater or showings to go to. People will just complain about anything.

Brinbe

Jesus Christ... How the fuck do some people manage to function being that stupid? I best hope no one supports that MRA bullshit on here.

Good on the Drafthouse and on their social media accounts for shutting down that idiocy. Can't even do something nice for under-represented peoples before the privileged majority kick up a fuss at being excluded.

Beartruck

Do these people not realize this is exactly why Alamo did this? They wanted the MRA snowflakes to wine so they could troll them.

They know who their audience is, and this plays right to them.

FFS this theater has announced they are going to switch to unisex bathrooms to avoid any bathroom bill issues, and they hand buttons out in their lobby to show you are someone a trans person can walk up to if they are uncomfortable or scared in a situation.
Is that button thing a thing? Thats really cool.

zeemumu

The complaining is obviously working, they are going to cancel and back down any day now...oh

nE5QhQJ.png

That pose looks awesome.

I've heard of the Alamo Drafthouse but I've never actually been.

Attitudes in this thread are why we'll never properly progress. Is a great example of two wrongs don't make a right.

Wait, are you saying that the Alamo Drafthouse is trying to make money? Holy shit. You've blown the doors off this whole thing.

Deepwater

LOL

Just admit you guys feel entitled to spaces that aren't designed for you. Then you gaslight the _others_ by saying this isn't the way to true equality.

Fuck off, part of a diverse world and RESPECTING the diversity is realizing that not everything is for everybody.

LionPride

Banned

Did you just...

Nah

You didn't

Please tell me you didn't

You are mad that something is for women only for like two fucking hours. Say that out loud in a mirror to yourself.

You really think making a tiny fraction of a service available exclusive to a minority group of people for the purpose of celebrating that group of people vs. discriminating all services to a minority group of people for the purpose of discriminating against that group are comparable situations?

Hylian7

I don't understand the "outrage" over this for a few reasons.

1. It's not like Alamo is not having any "general audience" screenings of the movie.
2. Alamo does cool stuff like this all the time. I don't see a problem with this one. In a way it's like walking into an LGBT bar and going "WHY AREN'T THE STRAIGHT PEOPLE INVITED?!"

Edit: My fiancee and her best friend (and maid of honor) are going to one of these. I'm perfectly fine with it and say good for them if anything. I want to see the movie but I will another time.

Unbounded

I mean regardless of your stance on this, it's not exactly hard to see how someone could be irked by this without being a MRA.

C'mon.

Frostburn

LOL

Just admit you guys feel entitled to spaces that aren't designed for you. Then you gaslight the _others_ by saying this isn't the way to true equality.

Fuck off, part of a diverse world and RESPECTING the diversity is realizing that not everything is for everybody.

Truth, I knew they'd get some negative responses but I wonder sometimes if this is still just an "Internet is gonna be crazy because its more anonymous" thing or not.

That's rad as fuck! One of these days I wanna make it out to the Alamo for one of their cool event screenings.

One day.

And of course people are whining about this. It's not even surprising anymore.

Top Bottom