• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

apana

Oh yes, completely agreed. That's why I said it was the first time I regretted needing child actors. Bran has been completely faithful to my imagination, sparing as his use has been.

He has gotten more time than I thought he would seeing as how this show is adult oriented and Arya is more popular. Though Isaac has given a boost to the popularity of the character just because he is so adorable. Another thing is that he has been given limited minutes but those minutes have been used very effectively. I love his interactions with Maester Luwin.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
He has gotten more time than I thought he would seeing as how this show is adult oriented and Arya is more popular. Though Isaac has given a boost to the popularity of the character just because he is so adorable. Another thing is that he has been given limited minutes but those minutes have been used very effectively. I love his interactions with Maester Luwin.

Right. I think it has less to do with adorableness and more to do with setting up the episode we just saw.

bengraven

Isn't Downton Abbey's third season being shot right now? There wouldn't really be any schedule problems because of that. Also Iain Glen managed to act in both shows just fine.

Yeah, isn't Natalie Dormer on The Fades?

If she can do Game and a BBC show...

Alfie Allen has been the best actor this season, I'm just sayin.

Yeah, he really has been great. Along with with Dinklage and Michelle Fairley. Richard Madden has been great as well of course in his limited screen time.

It's pretty neat to contrast that beheading with Ned Stark's beheading of the deserter.

Such angst and struggle, whereas Ned Stark just picked up the sword and lopped the deserter's head off with one emotionless swing.

Yeah it is a great contrast. Really shows that these young characters in this point in the story think they're men, act like men, but they (Jon as well this episode) learned that they are still inexperienced and young, and they can't do the things that Ned did.

If they didn't
dye the dothraki's hair blue they won't dye his either.

Yeah, I seriously doubt we'll see
blue beards.

Subitai

I thought they would have ended this week with Sansa missing, but I guess they needed to keep people interested in Dany's arc.

Part of me is still a little shocked Tonk's showed her boobies.
I'm ok with her taking the Reeds place for now since were so close to the Blackwater. That will easily be the fastest episode of the season.

Speaking of acting - I still wish Peter had been submitted for Best Actor.

tino

Banned
My problem with s2 so far is that the hot women are not showing their tits now. And the Osha chick is hotter than Margaret Tyrell? Wha? Very disappointed. I want my refund on Margaret Tyrell.

Also I pictured Ygritte a homely but mentally tough girl, like the girl who play the European version of Girl with Dragon Tattoo. This Ygritte is kind of a forgetable blonde.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
1. Completely agreed that Theon's beheading scene perfectly captures his descent into madness. What a fucking fool. Expertly acted.

GRRM and the HBO crew basically did what George Lucas should have done with Anakin Skywalker in the Star Wars prequels. Though I wish they'd taken their time to portray Theon's descent into "evil" (the betrayal happens quite fast considering Theon's close relationship with Winterfell and Robb in particular), all the elements are there. The reasons for his descent are perfectly believable. Could have gone either way, he just happened to choose the wrong way.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
GRRM and the HBO crew basically did what George Lucas should have done with Anakin Skywalker in the Star Wars prequels. Though I wish they'd taken their time to portray Theon's descent into "evil" (the betrayal happens quite fast considering Theon's close relationship with Winterfell and Robb in particular), all the elements are there. The reasons for his descent are perfectly believable. Could have gone either way, he just happened to choose the wrong way.

Wow, I would have never made that comparison, but it's a good one. Or it should have been a good one, damn Lucas. Theon's descent is palpable, instant (assuming we're glossing over the distance and time it took to throw away his father's plans that he was going to send to Robb, come up with alternate plans to take Winterfell, and finally lose his mind with Rodrick), and vivid.

In contrast, Anakin's descent was long, drawn-out, boring, and overwrought.

Tess3ract

Banned
He's not available for the role due to having a role on Downton Abbey, but Rob James-Collier would make a great Ramsay Bolton

4yk2ugu

tumblr_ltufxpivWO1r4zdclo2_500.gif
He's got that dead eyes look

Red hair is far less weird than blue. :p

Very true, and I think most people would agree that Jaqen's odd physical features such as the hair is somewhat muted in the show.

Blue beards and hair just doesn't feel consistent with the gritty, realistic art direction of the show. I think blue beards and hair will go the way of the purple Targaryen eyes in the show.

series spoilers
A possible exception could be Aegon, because he is attempting to disguise his appearance. Although, unless I'm mistaken, he dyed his hair blue because the color helped disguise his purple eyes, which he won't have in the show.

Zabka

Also I pictured Ygritte a homely but mentally tough girl, like the girl who play the European version of Girl with Dragon Tattoo. This Ygritte is kind of a forgetable blonde.

Might need to get the colors on your TV checked.

AColdDay

I like Sansa, its a shame that her situation and thus her actions are not better explained in the show, but what can you do?

I like Sansa, its a shame that her situation and thus her actions are not better explained in the show, but what can you do?

What isn't explained? You don't get access to her thoughts, but that's true of every character in the show. If anything she's more sympathetic in the show because of how they wrote out her confession to Cersei about Ned's plans.

Well I used the word "blond" for "interchangeable Hollywood bit actress".

Also Theon's sister, reminded me of Maggie Gyllenhaal every time she showed up.

She's a British actor with theater experience, nothing about her is Hollywood

Her performance was impressive. She was funny and flirty in the episode, yet displayed an underlining sinister tone. Complaining about shows casting attractive young women is usually a moot point. She's a good actress, which is more important. And thank god they didn't make her wear a wig

LuchaShaq

Banned
Though to be fair, Ned did have a valyrian steel broadsword.

This.

I honestly can't remember which book so consider this a series spoiler
When Robb has to behead Lord Karstark he takes 3? swings because again, he doesn't have a gigantic bad ass valyrian steel sword.

Zeth

Every episode this season has been good or great. Couldn't ask for more really. Also, reading the corresponding book in preparation for the season seems to work out wonderfully. Really enjoyable experience all around.

gutshot

Oh I'm wrong about the beheading in the book. (COK obviously)
it's one of the ironborn that kills Mikken. I can't remember who Theon beheads, though I know he does kill someone in a similar scene with the failed beheading and the "whoever calls the sentence should wield the sword" line. I swore it was Mikken.

Edit: okay, now I remember. A character not even in the show: From Wiki:
Farlen is injured when Theon Greyjoy captures Winterfell.[3] Theon Farlen forces to accompany Theon's search party when Bran and Rickon Stark disappear, by threatening to let his men rape Palla again.[4] When mysterious deaths start happening to those of Theon's men who had been part of the search party, Farlen is blamed by Theon and put to death.[5]

Farlen is actually in the show. He's the one who mouths off to Theon right before Rodrik shows up. I think Bran even says his name in the scene.

Snake

The show's casting has been amazing, but even good actors/actresses can take a while to fit in to their roles. One of the reasons Ygritte was so good in this episode is that her actress seemed immediately confident in the role in a way that few others have been.

And like others I thought the wildlings' clothing seemed a bit too advanced, but I think that might be because they were actually filming in freezing cold weather and needed to dress in proper snow gear.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Wow, I would have never made that comparison, but it's a good one. Or it should have been a good one, damn Lucas. Theon's descent is palpable, instant (assuming we're glossing over the distance and time it took to throw away his father's plans that he was going to send to Robb, come up with alternate plans to take Winterfell, and finally lose his mind with Rodrick), and vivid.

In contrast, Anakin's descent was long, drawn-out, boring, and overwrought.

Yeah. In a few episodes with many main characters they managed to make Theon's foolishness more believable and human than Anakin's over 3 movies where he's one of few main characters. Theon's not a fool because he's got a severe case of the dummies, but foolish in the sense that his feelings towards two opposite parties made him do one mistake that turned out to be irreversible (as far as I know, haven't read past ACOK and don't want any spoiler).

Anakin, by contrast, he's just a complete fucking idiot whom anyone with a hint of brains can easily manipulate. He's just a stupid teenager who's frustrated because he can't have cake and he believes everything a creepy old man tells him. Doesn't help that Theon's actor was able was able to show emotions in a way Hayden Christensen never could in the prequels.

andycapps

Great episode this last week. Theon was great, Jon Snow was great, and elder Lannister was awesome. His scenes really steal the show as I think that second to Tyrion, he's probably the best actor on the show with Sean Bean gone. Those two just steal their scenes.

I'm as annoyed at the Dany scenes as I am in the books. Ugh.

The most annoying thing about Anikin was that he didn't realize how Palpatine was manipulating him while he was still good.

In a way, Theon's descent has been happening his whole life, because he both loved and hated Robb. It's been developing in the show, with Tyrion mocking him in the fourth episode about how he's grown to love his 'captors', and even in the way Robb treats him when Theon saves Bran. When Theon goes to Pyke, he's on a personal mission to be someone who helped save Winterfell from war, and become more of an equal among the Stark family, but when he can't, he does the opposite.

apana

series spoiler:
Dany scenes are great, they are trying to develop a theme and Emilia delivers her lines beautifully. Irri's death annoys the hell out of me though, really idiotic decision.

3rdman

Her acting is cringeworthingly bad.

I think that is a bit overstated...I do think it could be better though but I lay that blame at the feet of the director.

If anything, she's over-playing her role...allowing her character to be a bit TOO emotional. During her scene at the home of the Spice trader, I kept thinking "less, dammit!"...she should be reserved and resolved in her monologue...not angry. Instead she came off as petulant and entitled.

I think that is a bit overstated...I do think it could be better though but I lay that blame at the feet of the director.

If anything, she's over-playing her role...allowing her character to be a bit TOO emotional. During her scene at the home of the Spice trader, I kept thinking "less, dammit!"...she should be reserved and resolved in her monologue...not angry. Instead she came off as petulant and entitled.

Seems like she nailed the character to me.

Lakitu

st5fu
So last year it was Lena Headey and this year it's Emilia Clarke. Who will be next year?

And someone just said Emilia Clarke has the face of a boy. Never change, GAF. Never change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom