• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie explains why Destiny 2 is 30 FPS on consoles, even the PS4 Pro (CPU limits)

dogen

Could they theoretically use GPU compute to overcome this (at cost of course)?

Maybe, maybe not. I don't think anyone here can even answer that, unless maybe they work at bungie.

It depends on what things are keeping them from reaching 60 fps (and if you want a locked 60 then you need 65-70+), and whether those things can even be moved to the GPU.

Destiny had quite low input latency for a 30 fps game anyway iirc. I don't think it's that devastating.

Innolis

I can't shake this feeling that, while what they say certainly makes sense, it's more of a "we cannot make it 60 with the tools we have" rather than "the Pro can't handle it".

With it's adaptive refresh feature the Scorpio will be the best place to play Destiny 2 - or any game for that matter.

It's so great that Microsoft invented and has the exclusive technology of adaptive refresh rate, no one else can run a game at variable(up to 30) fps.

Vashetti

Banned
If Halo 5 multiplayer can run at 60fps on xbone there's no reason Destiny 4v4 can't.

What are engine differences?

Halo 5's engine is GPU-bound, hence why it has dynamic resolution to maintain 60fps.

As stated in OP's vid, Destiny's engine is CPU-bound.

Boke1879

Any chance Scorpio version will allow uncapped framerate?

I highly doubt it. Only because the One S will be capped at 30 frames as well. They've said console will be 30fps.

And while the number will be small if they did allow 60fps for Scorpio users. You're giving them an unfair advantage in PVP.

Also to be fair. Majority of people buying these games don't give a two damns about 30 or 60 frames per second. People just want to buy it for whatever system their friends are playing on and have fun.

dreamfall

Did we really expect a console focused shooter in such a massive world to have a 60fps framerate? I mean it would be nice, but I can't think of a single open world title on any console that is capable of this.

As a PC gamer, you start to understand limits. Even with these half step iterations of consoles, it feels like a heavy stretch.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I mean, BF1 runs at 55-60 on PS4P with 64 players and just as many physics, not to mention dynamic destruction. Wut.
Digital Foundry has demonstrated that BF1 drops to the 30s on the PS4 Pro. I'm not sure what the performance is after the patches but the new DLC maps are even more demanding than the originals.

cakely

So if a game targets 60fps on both consoles, but one fluctuates between 40-55 and the other is locked 60, you don't feel there's an advantage? And if you do, then it essentially squashes "games have to run the same on both" theory

Planetside 2 is another great example

The policy is: In competitive multiplayer games, the PS4 and PS4 Pro versions must target the same framerate, which can be either 30fps or 60fps.

Yes, if the PS4 Pro hits its target framerate more consistently than the PS4, that's an advantage for the PS4 Pro, but it doesn't violate the policy above.

A page ago I thought that that Battleborn broke this policy, but it turns out that it doesn't.

I'm not endorsing this policy, but I do believe that it does exist, and so far all released games seem to conform to it.

I also seem to be incapable of not talking about it.

see5harp

Did we really expect a console focused shooter in such a massive world to have a 60fps framerate? I mean it would be nice, but I can't think of a single open world title on any console that is capable of this.

As a PC gamer, you start to understand limits. Even with these half step iterations of consoles, it feels like a heavy stretch.

"MASSIVE WORLD"

Isn't the resolution mainly dependent on the GPU while the frame rate is mainly dependent on the CPU? If so, that would make sense why Scorpio won't be 60fps. Both consoles could do 4k(checkerboard for Pro and native for Scorpio).

They do but it probably wouldn't matter anyway... Scorpio plays Xbox One games at native 4K. The Xbox One version of Destiny 2 is 30fps, so that's what Scorpio will be regardless.

Yep, the Pro CPU is 2.1GHz and Scorpio is only 2.3GHz, so only a little bit faster. Not enough of a difference to double the framerate.
People will say it's just another Jaguar, MS will say it's a heavily modified Jaguar that won't have the same CPU bound issues.

Scorpio could do 60 without an issue, even if it was a variable framerate. Not sure how much Bungie have modified this engine but they are still keeping to baseline PS4/XB1 capabilities.

Not sure MS should be happy about Devs throttling the system because reasons.

I guess we find out about E3!

It clocks higher but still has the same shitty jaguar cpu IIRC(?).

Thanks for the responses! Seems like mid-gen refresh has hit bottleneck, or do we blame Bungie for "lazy development"?

AEREC

they're using the cpu as an excuse. there is no reason this game should be 30fps considering it doesn't look any better than halo 5 and the pvp is 4v4.

Sure it might be possible for 4v4 crucible to run at 60fps but not the regular campaign with all the AI, Physics and stuff.

But why would they have the 4v4 MP mode run at a different framerate than the rest of the game?

D1's 30fps felt great anyways.

Zarth

The policy is: In competitive multiplayer games, the PS4 and PS4 Pro versions must target the same framerate, which can be either 30fps or 60fps.

Yes, if the PS4 Pro hits its target framerate more consistently than the PS4, that's an advantage for the PS4 Pro, but it doesn't violate the policy above.

A page ago I thought that that Battleborn broke this policy, but it turns out that it doesn't.

I'm not endorsing this policy, but I do believe that it does exist, and so far all released games seem to conform to it.

I also seem to be incapable of not talking about it.

There is actually nothing explicitly in Sony's guidelines that restrict this.

They just say that if you have a 30 FPS title you must provide one or both of the following NEO modes:
1080P+ 30FPS
1080P+ 30+ FPS

The reality of the scenario is that most games that are running at 30 FPS on the base HW just don't get enough of a CPU kick to run at 60 FPS. It is not terribly hard to hit 60 FPS on the base hardware if you are GPU bound and don't mind dynamic resolution. If you do use Dynamic Res to hit 60FPS in base mode by the above case if you don't have a Neo mode that maintains 1080P/60 the whole time (due to downres) you would also need to provide a mode that is 1080P+ 30 locked as an option.

Going the other way is explicitly forbidden though( 60 FPS Base Game, no 60 FPS Neo Mode)

Thanks for the responses! Seems like mid-gen refresh has hit bottleneck, or do we blame Bungie for "lazy development"?

I wouldn't say they are lazy, it's just a design choice. Developers just aren't obsessed with higher framerates like some gamers are, that's why a lot of games still run at 30fps. They could tone down resolution and graphical effects, reduced enemy count and make the AI less smart to hit 60fps but that would make the game a lot worse in other areas then.

One good thing now though is that console hardware is starting to get much more powerful (4.2 Tflop and 6 Tflop GPU's) and CPU speed is slowly getting faster again (2.1GHz and 2.3GHz) so next gen should be much more capable and we will hopefully get more 60fps games.

KageMaru

Destiny 2 being CPU bound on consoles isn't surprising at all.

Has it been confirmed to be running at native 4k on the Pro?

Aren't they both forks from the same original source?

Yes been taken into different directions by two games now. Both Bungie and 343 have different targets and goals for their games.

Edit:

Why not 1080p/60fps?

Is it even real 4k?

If the framerate is limited by the CPU, lowering the resolution won't really do much to improve it.

*bangs head on wall*

tenor.gif

Top Bottom