• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

You know, surprisingly enough, despite all the people I know that love Berserk and how popular the series is, I've yet to encounter any major spoilers.
Cause The Eclipse is the thing people most remember. People with any dignity usually opt to not spoil that and every thing else isn't as pivotal in a sense, but there's a good amount of stuff that happens that effects the world and story still.

Grudy

I'm generally someone who doesn't really care about spoilers at all, except in some cases. It's not that I go looking for them, but I don't really care if I come across one. However, one of the times I felt genuinely annoyed is when I bought the Berserk volumes and man some of those covers are rather spoiler-y if you're just coming out of the anime/movies. Actually it may be just Vol. 21

A lot of people love golden age, but I prefer the Adventures of Guts, Puck, and Crew later on.

I agree. I'm up to Volume 28 in my reread/catchup and I'm finally into stuff that I didn't read/wasn't out back when I originally started the series. Maybe it's from reading the manga and watching the original series so much when I was younger, but the Golden Age feels kinda tired to me anymore. Actually my favorite arc this time around is Lost Children so far, but I like the expanded cast of characters a lot.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Golden Age is boring because it lacks the best character of the manga:
puckultimatestrongone.jpg

I'm now 50 chapters in and yeah, I've loved every moment of this. Definitely one of the best things I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

Man, that cliffhanger at the end of the latest chapter. Woo boy, Miura probably wrote a lot of comedic elements in that chapter for therapeutic reasons.

I'm now 50 chapters in and yeah, I've loved every moment of this. Definitely one of the best things I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

Went from chapter 25 to 60 today. Maybe I'll just go the whole way tonight and finish Golden Age.

Really glad to hear you're enjoying it. Being 60 chapters in means you're right in the middle of a very memorable/amazing stretch. Volume 9, 12 and 13 are some of the very best Berserk has to offer. I mean, all of Berserk is wonderful, but this particular section is gripping beyond words. Savour it and give it some time to all soak in. Even though you know what's coming, this part of the story is still going to do some pretty interesting stuff to your brain as it gets overloaded with a flood of different feels. It's a hell of a lot to process!

Momentary

Banned
The scene with the biggest impact in all of Berserk to me is when Guts tells Puck that he wins and that he can live in his pouch. Nothing comes close to that moment for me. Gives me such good feels every time I get to that scene.

I think the thing I enjoy most about the writing is the dynamic between characters, especially Caska, Griffith and Guts. How much they care for each other and their comrades and the emotional impact they have on one another. It truly is something special and I find something relatable in all of them, it's great and there isn't really anything else like Berserk. It's ultraviolent and dark but it's beautiful and impactful through and through.

If only his coup was successful.
Dude should've picked a better partner than fucking Magnifico.
I fucking love this gif.
I think the thing I enjoy most about the writing is the dynamic between characters, especially Caska, Griffith and Guts. How much they care for each other and their comrades and the emotional impact they have on one another. It truly is something special and I find something relatable in all of them, it's great and there isn't really anything else like Berserk. It's ultraviolent and dark but it's beautiful and impactful through and through.
This is why I love Berserk so much. It can be about ultra violence, but once you peel back the layers on it it's a really great story.

turmoil

Banned

I agree, it's magnificent how they feel human, not 'we're comrades in a shonen, we must be BFF', with their highlights and shortcomings.

There are always those works of fiction that end up being really important to an individual on a personal level that either leads to some form of personal growth or newfound understanding of something and I'm starting to feel like this will be one of mine.

Tizoc

The scene with the biggest impact in all of Berserk to me is when Guts tells Puck that he wins and that he can live in his pouch. Nothing comes close to that moment for me. Gives me such good feels every time I get to that scene.
Puck is the real mvp of berserk

Read like 20 chapters since the moment I woke and I've gotta say I'm completely hooked. Might try to hit 200 tonight. What's the arc I'm currently on? I'm at chapter 133 and where does the current arc end?

turmoil

Banned
Read like 20 chapters since the moment I woke and I've gotta say I'm completely hooked. Might try to hit 200 tonight. What's the arc I'm currently on? I'm at chapter 133 and where does the current arc end?

If I'm not mistaken you are entering a big arc that finishes around episode ~190

Ah, I've reached 146 and I'm definitely starting to see the wheels turning for something pretty big, so I'm excited to see how this turns out, same for Guts and the monster dog, I know I'm still far away off but, still excited.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Ah, I've reached 146 and I'm definitely starting to see the wheels turning for something pretty big, so I'm excited to see how this turns out, same for Guts and the monster dog, I know I'm still far away off but, still excited.

I'm guessing you have met Mozgus then. This arc is what the latest anime and travesty covered.

I'm guessing you have met Mozgus then. This arc is what the latest anime and travesty covered.
Not yet, just at the part where the King of Midland dies, there's a plague, people are having premonitions of Griffiths return, Guts had his sword reforged and is about to head out in search of Caska while the holy order or whatever lady is on trial for fucking up Guts' capture

HStallion

Not yet, just at the part where the King of Midland dies, there's a plague, people are having premonitions of Griffiths return, Guts had his sword reforged and is about to head out in search of Caska while the holy order or whatever lady is on trial for fucking up Guts' capture

Then you are just about to meet him

I've always thought the story had Guts keep the egg in order to bring up a climax in which he'd debate permanently throwing away his humanity for the power to kill Griffith, but what I'm now thinking might happen is Casca getting a hold of it after her memory is restored. Filled with rage and hurt, she'd be contemplating revenge and Guts would try to convince her that it did him no favors.

HStallion

I've always thought the story had Guts keep the egg in order to bring up a climax in which he'd debate permanently throwing away his humanity for the power to kill Griffith, but what I'm now thinking might happen is Casca getting a hold of it after her memory is restored. Filled with rage and hurt, she'd be contemplating revenge and Guts would try to convince her that it did him no favors.

Technically I don't think either Guts or Casca can use a behelit because they are already marked by a brand thus their souls are already forfeit.

Grudy

Technically I don't think either Guts or Casca can use a behelit because they are already marked by a brand thus their souls are already forfeit.

Well they could sacrifice others as a way of compensation. Think of how in the Abrahamic tale, Abraham scarificed a ram instead of his son Issac who was the original sacrifice (In the islamic version at least).
I kinda don't understand who the sacrifice is for anyway. Is it for the Idea of Evil?

HStallion

Well they could sacrifice others as a way of compensation. Think of how in the Abrahamic tale, Abraham scarificed a ram instead of his son Issac who was the original sacrifice (In the islamic version at least).
I kinda don't understand who the sacrifice is for anyway. Is it for the Idea of Evil?

Its basically giving up something you love or value more than anything else and in the process of doing so throwing away the last of your humanity so you can be reborn as a snail with legs.

tokkun

I have always thought that it would be the culmination of the series' themes to have Guts choose whether to sacrifice his new band of comrades to enact his revenge. Put him in the same sort of position Griffith was in, and you have the opportunity to either show that they are fundamentally different or fundamentally the same. To me, that is the way to marry the Golden Age and post-Golden Age into one cohesive whole. But I'm not sure I have faith in Miura to go there anymore.

There is also the matter of the titular Berserk armor, which was introduced to offer basically a very similar choice - although it is only Guts sacrificing his own humanity for power rather than having to sacrifice his friends.

HStallion

So I was checking out the SkullKnight forums and noticed that they mentioned someone finally translated Miura's big interview. Ton of stuff in it that's all very interesting and even hints at a lot of things but also talks about coming up with the Berserk Armor, how he writes villains and characters and so on. Insightful stuff. He also says Schierke and Isidro are a natural pairing

Part 1: https://www.reddit.com/r/Berserk/comments/5frs99/berserk_guidebook_interview_full_translation_part/

Part 2: https://www.reddit.com/r/Berserk/comments/5frta8/berserk_guidebook_interview_full_translation_part/

Teases future of Falconia: "For some people, the world that Griffith is creating might be more in their favor. What will the new stage of Fantasia be like...? (laughs)"

HStallion

Dang. I preferred Isma and Isidro. It's nice at times when two characters with compatible personalities get together rather rather than contrasting.

Well I suppose it doesn't mean they will end up together. Miura talks about how he plans out the manga and it seems to be one of those follow they characters and see where things take them instead of planning everything out from far ahead of time.

Top Bottom