• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your expectations for Horizon Zero Dawn?

Wensih

Spoilers not just a spoiler tag for suspense of my opinion:

The cliff hanger ending has deflated a lot of my hype. I don't need another series set into perpetual motion.

Edit: Apparently proven false.

nampad

-Metascore of 83
-Looks great
-Gameplay is nothing special but solid. Kind of repetitive though.
-story taking itself too serious with a cliffhanger ending
-Mediocre writing, dialogue and voice acting

Jay Sosa

Just want to say that Guerilla and Sony never claimed the Killzone series was going to be a Halo killer. That was the media outlets running wild with that claim after one of them made it.

even so..Killzone turned out to be a massively pretty disappointing franchise. Second one was kinda ok I guess.

-Metascore of 83
-Looks great

yeah, pretty much.

EhoaVash

I think it's going to be like the tomb raider reboot. Good game.

But idk the weird character animation is lulz though

The footage from both should've already done that imo, yet here we are. People gonna focus on the superficial similarities I'm afraid.
I'm not talking footage. I'm talking people actually playing both.

Lots of games get compared to each other and stops once people have played them and realize they are not extacly the same. I'm expecting the same here. The comparisons will still continue but In bragging about which game did better critically or sales wise.

styl3s

I found the Killzone series to be extremely mediocre so i have extremely low expectations. I don't think it's going to be terrible it's got nothing but glowing previews but i tend to keep all my expectations in check so i don't run into a No Mans Sky situation.

For all i know after a couple hours it just turns into a run of the mill open world repetitive bore.

Maxinas

-Metascore of 83
-Looks great

This is about what I expect. Mediocre story hidden behind shiny grass and trees.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Maybe its just me, but the combat reminds me more of new Tomb Raider than Far Cry. While it may have some similar conventions to Far Cry (and a lot of games that aren't compared to it as directly do) the fact that its 3rd person vs 1st person I think would prevent it from really feeling like a Far Cry game.

Tbh melee looks jank from some videos I've seen. It looks like she snaps to the enemy and it didn't look like there was much feedback as she was hitting a dino.

Confidently optimistic. Between the ample amounts of awesome footage and the universal glowing previews, I don't have any reason to be hesitant.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
even so..Killzone turned out to be a massively disappointing franchise. Second one was kinda ok I guess.

yeah, pretty much.

I really enjoyed the second and third and they are rated pretty well by both fans and critics so despite your dislike of the series a lot of people really enjoyed them. Yes Shadow Fall sucked.

Raven117

It will probably handle better than Far Cry games in terms of gameplay.

Will have a mediocre story with too many icons on the map.

Will be a good game though.

I'm about to jam out with my clam out.....ingame.

Have they said if there is settings to toggle off the icons blocking the gorgeous view?

I'm expecting a game with fun combat and memorable encounters with the robotic enemies, but the story footage I've seen hasn't really grabbed me so far. I'm a bit worried about the plot focusing too much on "What happened?" only for the reveal to be a fairly straightforward one that doesn't quite live up to the build-up.

I'm also a bit worried about the open world ending up a bit like the one in Final Fantasy XV which seemed to focus more on feeling as realistic as possible instead of focusing on how to make the world as interesting to traverse as possible with more unique area layouts.

That being said, I'm mostly optimistic about the game even if I'm not planning to get it on day one.

viHuGi

Banned
Metacritic - 94
Great Story and deep characters
Great graphics
Fantastic Open World
Great voice acting on main story and less great on secondary etc.

R00bot

It'll be good. Solid 80s, probably won't break 90 average.
Voice acting and facial animations trash tier, movement animations look good but not fun.
Could be a bit of a slog to finish but it'll be a good game overall.
Nice graphics will only get it so far.

I expect a beautiful, fun game. I really enjoyed kz2 and 3 and didn't hate the last one as much as other people so I trust Guerilla. If nothing else it seems ambitious and different.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm about to jam out with my clam out.....ingame.

Have they said if there is settings to toggle off the icons blocking the gorgeous view?

HZDcustomHUD.jpg

Wensih

4chan rumor has been proven false.

Oh! Well this has raised my interests again. I hadn't been following since and didn't know the extent of the story spoilers all I heard was it ended abruptly, and didn't want to probe further. Thanks for letting me know.

Jay Sosa

I really enjoyed the second and third and they are rated pretty well by both fans and critics so despite your dislike of the series a lot of people really enjoyed them. Yes Shadow Fall sucked.

yeah I changed 'massively' to 'pretty' (mainly due to the hype). It's not like they were shitty games or anything, well like you said the last one was. But still, I'm not exactly sold on them being great developers.

I do hope I'm wrong, obviously.

Griss

I'm expecting it to be a visual feast with solid, enjoyable core gameplay and some seriously dodgy writing.

As long as it delivers on the first two I'll be happy enough. If the story and dialogue are also good then it could be GotY.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Other then it being stunning, I have no expectations for it. In fact I've no expectations for any upcoming releasss.

juventino

Banned
I expect it to have better execution and story than those other similar open world games.

Perhaps even almost as good as The Witcher 3.
Almost.

It looks amazing and I'm sure it will play amazing, but nowhere in hell will the story and execution hold a candle to Witcher 3, not even close

Tyaren

I expect a decent story, good gameplay and amazing visuals. Overall a good game.
I don't expect it to reinvent the wheel. I wonder why some people would get to that thought. The developers didn't ever claim anything like that and previewers also never stated anything like that.

Strike

They tend to do better when they're not rushed. It'll easily be their best and most polished title since Killzone 2.

I know this isn't an uncommon sentiment on this board, but this game seriously gives me 'I'm gonna be a huge disappointment' vibes. That story trailer they put out a week or so ago pretty much confirmed that Guerilla Games still doesn't exactly have A-grade writers. I also suspect the game's gonna get marred by people who are seriously getting sick of open-world games, especially if it resembles Ubisoft's games.

I'm not sure I see the merit in comparing this to KZ in terms of a predictor of quality. This a completely different type of game from KZ in every way and Guerilla hired a bunch of new people to account for that.

I'm expecting a great game, but I'm also dreading having to split time between it and Zelda.

It'll be a very, very good game.

It'll have the best combat in any open world game to date combined with the best graphics we've seen and is full of emergent encounter design. We know this already from previews that have confirmed this and have overwhelmingly positive.

That alone is enough to push it to the high 80s / 90 MC.

Also, I'm getting the feeling that no one on this forum has actually played Far Cry. Or understands the context of the comparisons that previewers were making.

Wait, I haven't been following this game too closely, what makes you think the protagonist will be great?

And therein lies a lot of the problems people are having. The people who HAVE been following closely can see that it's shaping up to be a really good experience. The story and Aloy so far has actually been praised by the press that have seen it.

FATALITY

Banned
Is fucking annoying seeing the same people explaining to the same people what this game is about.
Until another horizon thread and the same idiotic comment "farcry without vehicles, without robots, 3rd person, with futuristic technology.

Ffs

I think it's going to be fun. And I can't wait to play it next year because that about the time I can see myself finally buying it after I finish my current backlog. I think the thought that it absolutely has to be "different" compared to the many games coming out this year that are going to be more of the same is disingenuous at best but I won't go into that. I just think there's just an unfair expectation given to this game that others are not getting.

Top Bottom