• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American liberals are still not voting (Full Frontal w/Sam Bee)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I'm told by this thread is that Democrats want voters to commit the labor of sacrificing time to vote for them but is not willing to commit the labor of figuring out how to motivate that very action.
the left is always always young people

good luck trying to motivate those that have historically never given a shit to vote

tuxfool

Banned
The Black community votes, Latino Americans aren't as reliable unfortunately. The latter is what the Democratic party needs to concentrate on changing.

True enough, but I suspect that is reflected more by their comparative youth as a block of people in the US.

Fox318

You gonna pay for folks missing a day of work?
Early voting without an excuse is available in 33 states.

What is it too much to ask to stamp an envelope?

And yeah if there was ever a day worth taking a sick day, dragging your kids with you to the booth or making sure you had an ID it would be a vote that could change the path of the nation.

SL128

Democrats can't be bothered to let voters know when there are elections, when they can vote and how, what can be gained from the votes. Then they blame the voters and say "but you could have check out our website!"

tuxfool

Banned
i've consistently voted for democrats for 14 years now despite their total lack of effort to make my life any better. i understand that voting for the lesser of two evils is necessary. minorities have way more to lose than i do so that's not surprising either.

but you can't turn to things like that when talking about systemic and national failures of the party as a whole. working class voters of every race have been participating less and less over the years, and that used to be the most consistent democratic voting bloc. something needs to change.

Of course. Unfortunately a lot of people don't understand that you can't produce sudden shifts in party makeup. The right didn't start out with crazies, they moved in that direction by slowly electing consistently. The left doesn't compromise and consistently elect leftwards. They want all or nothing immediately.

cdyhybrid

I wonder if actively voting against the party that is trying to implement multiple forms of voter suppression would make it easier to vote 🤔

hermit7

My biggest issue with local elections is lack of information about the times that a local election is taking place. I consider myself pretty involved and active politically but it is hard to know when a vote is taking place locally as they don't tend to be well forecast.

Is there an app or way to be informed when one of these votes is taking place?

Of course. Unfortunately a lot of people don't understand that you can't produce sudden shifts in party makeup. The right didn't start out with crazies, they moved in that direction by slowly electing consistently. The left doesn't compromise and consistently elect leftwards. They want all or nothing immediately.
just look at the infighting in this thread

its fucking sad

pa22word

What I'm told by this thread is that Democrats want voters to commit the labor of sacrificing time to vote for them but is not willing to commit the labor of figuring out how to motivate that very action.

There's a real problem with the left here in the US in that they feel entitled to votes.

Guess what, no you fucking aren't. Get out there, knock on doors, get people active. Talking to billionaires in Cali and NY while people elsewhere are told "go online and read my white papers" is fucking bullshit. Unless you give enough of a shit to talk and connect to people you're not going to win elections. You're just not.

Deepwater

Early voting without an excuse is available in 33 states.

What is it too much to ask to stamp an envelope?

And yeah if there was ever a day worth taking a sick day, dragging your kids with you to the booth or making sure you had an ID it would be a vote that could change the path of the nation.

lol this thread is about local and state elections, outside of the normal election day in November. Is there early voting for elections outside that parameter?

And not everybody gets sick days bruh.

SL128

My biggest issue with local elections is lack of information about the times that a local election is taking place. I consider myself pretty involved and active politically but it is hard to know when a vote is taking place locally as they don't tend to be well forecast.

Is there an app or way to be informed when one of these votes is taking place?
The Democrats would rather blame you than set-up an app, but this is the closest I could find in a short period of time.

Edit: It's not out yet, and will only be for Texas when it is.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
*sigh* I spend so much time reading politics, hearing about 2018/2020, trying to do the right thing, and I had no idea there was an election in March...

Wtf did I miss

Local elections, which are easy for millennials to miss when they're busy getting their news from the internet instead of the local newspapers or local tv news that some old people still get their news from.

Local elections, which are easy for millennials to miss when they're busy getting their news from the internet instead of the local newspapers or local tv news that some old people still get their news from.

Thank you! Did they happen everywhere? Are there other elections this year? I keep searching and all city websites seem like they were made in the latter half of the 90's.

TyrantII

Bad candidates. I know a lot of my friends who are considered liberal aren't voting because they feel they're only being offered neoliberal candidates. They're strangely optimistic about progressive candidates at the mid-terms tho.

With all due respect, your friends are ignorant morons.

The True Scottsman fallacy applied to candidates is a recipe for disaster if you can't be bothered to vote.

Boney

Banned
Bauman said:
Little or no prospect of rescue from individual indolence or impotence can be expected to arrive from a political state that is not, and refuses to be, a social state. Without social rights for all, a large and in all probability growing number of people will find their political rights of little use and unworthy of their attention. If political rights are necessary to set social rights in place, social rights are indispensable to make political rights "real" and keep them in operation. The two rights need each other for their survival; that survival can only be their joint achievement

As counter intuitive as it sounds in today's context, there is no reason to vote for the vast majority of people.

aeolist

Banned
Then why was it that white working class failed to show up but us minorities did?

because a fascist talking about making the country whiter is more threatening to working class minorities than whites, to be sure. you still want to win those people over.

and even in minority groups the working class voter turnout is a lot lower than higher income brackets.

Hopefully this is something that that we'll see less of now that the Democratic party actually has some leadership and can start funding state parties and new talent.

Not gonna lie though, it's fucking infuriating especially the way liberals have been reacting to Trump.

"Everything is doomed! Nothing can stop Trump and the Republicans! Everything is hopeless now! If only there were something we could do besides believing everything is hopeless, which is exactly what Trump wants."

Well how about you fund your local Democratic party, volunteer for these upcoming races and actually go out and vote?

"Um.. uh.. If only there were something we could do!"

pvpness

Lmao

Here comes the neoliberal hammer, swinging every which way!

Everyone's a nail!

Lol. Yeah, I think most of them would have continued voting blue-no-matter-who, as they had until this election, until the whole DNC telling progressives to go fuck themselves multiple times in several months happened. Now they talk about Democrats with the same venom they used to reserve only for Republicans.

And you think Trump would be open to it?

No elitist politician whats to do it.

The choice isn't between Trump or Clinton. The choice is between building a mass social movement to make demands, or not getting anything.

Do you think the congress would have ever passed the civil rights without the civil rights movement?

GutsOfThor

Lots of conflation with liberal voters and democratic voters in this thread. I honestly can't even tell what yalls definition of a liberal is. Is it someone with progressive ideologies? Or somebody who just tends to align left of the aisle. Somebody who doesn't vote republican?

I'm trying to understand. There's just a lot of a strawman finger waving in here and I don't get it.

The only liberals are people associated with Bernie Sanders. Everyone else is an establishment shill according to some.

Boney

Banned
Then why was it that white working class failed to show up but us minorities did?
http://www.phillytrib.com/news/blac...cle_49d1aed9-76be-550e-b063-15ad7639dc97.html

The Pew Research Center also finds that in 2012, 25.8 million eligible voters were of African descent, with projections that number increased by 6 percent in 2016. Yet, actual Black ballots counted in both 2012 and 2016 elections (as well as the 2014 Congressional midterms) were much lower than that.

Out of 131,741,500 total ballots counted on election night, 15,008,980 of those were Black voter ballots when factoring in the 12 percent Black turnout data point in exit polling.

But, in 2012, there were 16,938,006 Black voter ballots counted out of a total of 130.3 million ballots nationally.

While voter supression needs to be taken in consideration, it's still a 60% turnout which isn't that much better compared to the 57% turnout nationally. Especially when minorities might have more in stake from election cycles, this one in particular.

http://www.electproject.org/home/voter-turnout/demographics
CPS%20race.png

Electorate%20Demo%20Race.png

dLMN8R

All you fucking idiot liberals who refused to vote for Hillary will never believe the fact that she was the most liberal mainstream presidential candidate in decades, will you?

Naw, it's too fun and too easy to suck down all the fun GOP propaganda to realize you got played into hating Hillary because of lies, isn't it?

God fucking damn it.

cdyhybrid

No elitist politician whats to do it.

The choice isn't between Trump or Clinton. The choice is between building a mass social movement to make demands, or not getting anything.

Do you think the congress would have ever passed the civil rights without the civil rights movement?
I didn't realize Hillary was going to outlaw building massive social movements if she won. I must have missed that debate.

aeolist

Banned
All you fucking idiot liberals who refused to vote for Hillary will never believe the fact that she was the most liberal mainstream presidential candidate in decades, will you?

Naw, it's too fun and too easy to suck down all the fun GOP propaganda to realize you got played into hating Hillary because of lies, isn't it?

God fucking damn it.

this is dumb and insulting. i voted for hillary but still dislike her greatly and not because i think she's a serial murderer but because of the things that she has personally said and done.

dLMN8R

this is dumb and insulting. i voted for hillary but still dislike her greatly and not because i think she's a serial murderer but because of the things that she has personally said and done.

Why are you insulted when I'm not talking about you

aeolist

Banned
Why are you insulted when I'm not talking about you

because you're heavily generalizing in an idiotic way. the people who buy into hillary conspiracy theories are republicans who would never have voted for her in the first place. she didn't lose because of those people, she lost because she was a shit candidate for her base.

I didn't realize Hillary was going to outlaw building massive social movements if she won. I must have missed that debate.

The point is we have to build the movement regardless. Liberals and progressives completely failed to make any demands on President Obama and he institutionalized some of the worst Bush policies as a result. It's hard to imagine the War on Terror ever ending thanks to Obama's administration.

dLMN8R

because you're heavily generalizing in an idiotic way. the people who buy into hillary conspiracy theories are republicans who would never have voted for her in the first place. she didn't lose because of those people, she lost because she was a shit candidate for her base.

It would be convenient for your argument if this entire thread wasn't predicated on the fact that liberals didn't vote for Hillary.

cdyhybrid

The point is we have to build the movement regardless. Liberals and progressives completely failed to make any demands on President Obama and he institutionalized some of the worst Bush policies as a result. It's hard to imagine the War on Terror ever ending thanks to Obama's administration.
I agree we need to build the movement regardless of who won the election. So why didn't some alleged progressives come out and vote to keep every minority/woman/LGBTQ person in this country from getting fucked?

You can do both, you know.

The Democratic party hates minorities?

The majority of the democratic party is white. Identity politics have failed to address the common interests of the majority of the party and common interests of the whole of the party. That's a big reason why you saw so many white working class voters flip.

Boney

Banned
At this point, the pro Hillary camp has been fed more propaganda that even the most insane right winger could've, since any apprehensions towards her is just supposed to be due to pedophile rings.

I agree we need to build the movement regardless of who won the election. So why didn't some alleged progressives come out and vote to keep every minority/woman/LGBTQ person in this country from getting fucked?

Can you provide numbers for a significant difference of voter turnout between alleged progressives and other demographics?

I didn't hear anything about elections. First time back in my residential state in 3 years, so didn't have prior participation to keep the timeframe in mind.

Used to be the town would mail off a packet with local election info, but that hasn't been present for a long while.

Deepwater

how do you know progressives were the ones who didn't come out to vote?

cdyhybrid

how do you know progressives were the ones who didn't come out to vote?
Most of them did. I'm talking about Bernie-or-Busters and third party voters.

Can you provide numbers for a significant difference of voter turnout between alleged progressives and other demographics?
There probably isn't a significant difference compared to history. I'm not really concerned with those other groups though, since this thread is about liberals not voting.

dLMN8R

At this point, the pro Hillary camp has been fed more propaganda that even the most insane right winger could've, since any apprehensions towards her is just supposed to be due to pedophile rings.

I mean, it's not propaganda to recognize that she objectively has the most liberal / progressive voting record of almost any other Senator in history. Or to recognize that she's been fighting literally her entire adult life to make the lives of women and children better. Or that she understands how to compromise - both with people to her right and people to her left - to reach legislation proposals that both achieve quality results and actually be feasible to implement and pass.

So yes, liberals who refused to vote for Hillary don't really deserve the sympathy or compassion from those who did because they sucked down decades of propaganda lying about how she's a "Republican in disguise" or "the emailzz" or whatever the fuck the controversy of the day is.

Wow Sam Bee posts a segment with bad data and you all go crazy with bad analysis. Good job, guys.

I know, right? If only someone wrote about this and explained in detail why this was bullshit and not very accurate on the first page to forego us from Democratic infighting and throwing accusations without backing evidence...

Oh wait!

Someone did!

The anti-progressive ballot initiative got defeated; the progressive ballot initiative got approved; the more progressive of the two marijuana measures got approved. The mostly progressive city council and mayor got re-elected in landslides. Yeah, sounds like Liberals let us down!!! And in the city that gave Clinton literally 100% of her massive popular vote win too, if LA liberals won't vote for Puppy Catcher and Assistant Mosquito and Sewage Guy, how can we know that they'll show up to vote for the big ticket elections?!?!?!

Performatively voting in municipal elections in California is not something that will flip Ohio or West Virginia, and there is essentially no reason to believe that there's a connection between low turnout here and low engagement elsewhere in real elections. Never even mind that the people protesting and marching are the 10-12% voting in this election -- this is absolutely a case of preaching to the choir.

This is a totally unproductive look that ignores the cultural, economic, and institutional factors that drive vote patterns.

Just because someone has good politics doesn't mean they're right every time they whip you into an anxiety coma while yelling about how the world is gone to hell.

I'll just quote this again so people can ignore it and fight amongst themselves again!

BajiBoxer

Banned
A lot of the problem is the youth vote. May have had President Bernie Sanders if they turned out the same way baby boomers do. They're the largest voting block, and Sanders was polling at 80% with that 18-29 demographic at one point. Clinton won more votes though. Had a great oppourtunity to stick it to the "establishment", but failed horribly. Less whining and more voting would give you guys everything you want.

aeolist

Banned
Most of them did. I'm talking about Bernie-or-Busters and third party voters.

third party voters exist every cycle at fairly constant numbers. do you have stats on bernie supporters who didn't go for hillary in the general? last i saw they did so in greater numbers than hillary-or-busters did in 2008.

Koodo

Banned
I've only missed out on one election in my voting lifetime (a provincial vote), and I felt so guilty about it. I can't understand the thought process of people who can vote, have easy access to vote, and are still completely cavalier about that responsibility. It's shameful.

cdyhybrid

third party voters exist every cycle at fairly constant numbers. do you have stats on bernie supporters who didn't go for hillary in the general? last i saw they did so in greater numbers than hillary-or-busters did in 2008.
Stats? No. I know it's a very small portion of Bernie supporters though that's not really the point. Hillary lost by tiny margins and Busters and third party voters are the easiest to sway to vote Democrat next time, so that's what I'm interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom