• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars : Galaxy of Heroes |OT2| There Is Another

ghostmind

nviURYT.jpg

Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes is a free-to-play (F2P) turn-based combat game, released on November 24, 2015, for Android and iOS, based in the Star Wars universe. Players unlock and develop characters (toons) and ships from multiple eras, build teams, and participate in battles at locations throughout the galaxy across a variety of modes.

UMGSdgk.gif

Gameplay consists of RPG-lite battles, pitting your team of up to 5 characters (and a 6th "borrowed" toon in some modes), against CPU-controlled opponents, which can be drawn from either fixed event lists, or from other players' chosen teams. Each toon has their own suite of abilities, designed around their respective character in the Star Wars films and other media. These abilities activate either individual, or group, buffs and debuffs, as well as combat effects and synchronizations with select other characters. Some of these effects are passive and will trigger automatically based on the character, your team, and your opponents.

Characters are unlocked (activated) via character shards, which can be acquired via daily free packs in the Store, using crystals to purchase them, or completing missions in the various game modes. Once activated, a character can be progressed through 7 "grades" and 85 levels, again via the collection of character shards, training droids, and the spending of the in-game currency "credits", which you acquire via participating in the various game modes. The character abilities, mentioned earlier, can be levelled up via "Ability Materials", which can be acquired via gameplay. Omega and Zeta Materials are harder to come by, but provide the most significant increases to character abilities.

One of the positive traits of Galaxy of Heroes is that a F2P player can acquire characters and progress through the game without a paywall to stop them, although those who decide to purchase crystals (or directly spend money) will progress much faster, while the F2P player will need to grind daily to get what they want.

Characters can also be improved via Gear and Mods. Each character has specific Gear requirements, and usually said Gear has to be assembled by accumulating Gear Salvage (shards), although some pieces can be acquired outright if you have enough crystals. Gear itself also has levels, with higher-level gear providing larger bonuses to your character attributes.

Mods were introduced in July 2016, some 7+ months after the launch of the game. Immediately controversial, and quickly scaled back in their impact, Mods are still a very important part of the game. Available to higher-level players, Mods can applied to a character individually, or in predetermined groups to gain bonuses, that directly impact the character attributes. As with Gear, Mods have their own level and rarity, and can be levelled up via in-game credits. For example, Speed Mods are very desirable, as they can impact which characters (or an entire team) "shoots first" in a battle, which can decide the entire outcome. Mods can be acquired via Mod Challenges and Mod Battles, as well as via Events, and purchased with crystals.

VIRIE6E.gif

yW9Uz7T.jpg

u0n72BI.png

Light Side/Dark Side Battles: Use your Light or Dark characters to proceed through multiple levels against AI-controlled teams. In these modes you can borrow a character from one of your Allies to assist your team of five. Completing the Normal mode unlocks a Hard mode, which in turn can provide Character and Ship shards on a daily basis.

Squad Arena: The PvP-light mode, where your squad of five selected characters (Light/Dark, or a mix of both) does battle with squads of other players, though the action on their end is AI-controlled. With victories come ascension on the leaderboard, which in turn affects the amount of Credits, Crystals, and Squad Arena tokens you receive daily.

Cantina Battles: Your five character squad (L/D/mix) versus an AI-controlled squad, with wins bringing Credits, Ability Materials, Sim tickets (so you can automatically run nodes that you have completed successfully in the past), Character shards, and Cantina Battle Tokens (which in turn provide unique Character and Ship shards when accumulated).

Galactic War: A daily run of 12 stages, where your chosen squads of five battle against AI opponents. As your characters are defeated you can subsitute other characters from your collection, or run sets of squads that you have pre-built yourself. Earn Credits, Crystals, Ability Materials and Galactic War Tokens, which provide unique Character and Ship shards).

Challenges: Player squads of five characters (L, D, mix) and participate in special challenges against AI squads that are only available on specific days. Some challenges limit the selection of player squad members, so building an appropriate squad is important. Each challenge provides its own specific rewards, across multiple tier levels, and this is one of the main ways to accumulate Ability Materials, Credits, Training Droids, and specific Equipment Shards in the game. Once you have 3-starred a Tier successfully, you can use Sim Tickets to automate further attempts.

taLKxto.jpg

Ships were the first major addition to GoH, debuting on November 22, 2016, and have become a love it/hate it element of the game. Ships are much like characters, in that they can be levelled up to 85, and have 7-stars of grade, and have unique abilities that can be improved. However there are no Mods for ships, rather the level and gear of the characters piloting those ships impacts the overall power and capability of the ship itself. So for example, you would want to boost your Biggs Darklighter character as much as possible, so that he in turn could improve Biggs Darklighter's X-Wing.

Ship combat is managed by one of three Fleet Commanders each that command a capital ship for one of three factions - Admiral Ackbar (Rebel Alliance), Grand Moff Tarkin (Galactic Empire) and Mace Windu (Galactic Republic).

Some view ships as a distraction to an already-demanding game, but ships have also been tied to Zeta Materials somewhat, so having a capable fleet can also benefit your characters. Ships can participate in Ship Challenges (battles to acquire materials for your ships and upgrade your capital ships), and Fleet Arena, which is similar to Squad Arena, but you are earning daily ship tokens and upgrade materials. Ships also have their own dedicated store, which uses the aforementioned ship tokens to purchase ship shards, as well as select character shards, character gear, and the infamous Zeta ability materials.

5QpGTkG.jpg

Territory Battles are the next big addition to GoH, and are expected to arrive any day now. The developer describes Territory Battles as "an epic, multi-phase battle, pitting the entire collection of characters and ships of every guild member against a progressively challenging, living battlefield." Progression is shared equally across the Guild, with the key being total Guild participation, and each Guild Member having as many characters unlocked, levelled, and equipped to participate. New modes, such as Platoon Missions, will unlock special abilities (ie. the Ion Cannon) to assist in the overall campaign. The initial Territory Battles will take place on Hoth, and several new characters (Captain Han Solo, Rebel Office Leia Organa, and Hermit Yoda) will be introduced with this game mode.

qzuTq3y.jpg

duGOofW.png

Like other games of this genre, Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes features many events. Most events require specific Characters, or at least Characters related to a certain faction to participate. These events have different Rewards depending on their Type. There are those events which happen on a weekly basis, which are aimed at giving you an oportunity to enhance your characters with some extra resources. Then there are more rare events which reward you with special characters.

These “Legendary Events” are themed around the specific characters and require you to own Characters related to them. Two examples are the “Grand master's Training” as well as “The Emperor's Demise” which give you an opportunity to collect Grand master Yoda and Emperor Palpatine respectively. As the name implies, Yoda's event sees your Jedi squad undertake his training and as a reward you can unlock him yourself. Meanwhile in Palpatine's event you have to take a team of Rebels and kill the Emperor, to unlock him yourself. For these events you get rewards equivalent to your squad's Star Rating, for example a full squad of 6-star Jedi is required to earn enough shards for a 6-star Yoda. These characters unlock at 5-stars.
There are currently two more of these events, which are not on a regular schedule: acquiring Admiral Thrawn using a Phoenix team from Star Wars Rebels, and lastly an event centered around R2-D2 for which you need Empire Characters.

Sometimes new characters also get “marquee events”, in which you are introduced to these new characters by using an upgraded version yourself, with some advice given during the battles. If you fully complete a marquee event you usually can unlock the character at a low star level to get you started with them.

Lastly a new type of event was recently introduced, “The Hero's Journey', which lets you replay some events from Episode 4, and through it lets you unlock “Commander Luke Skywalker”, aka Cloud City Luke. For this event you need to own the protagonists of A New Hope, as it will be your own Characters in the main roles.

RdAHWuV.jpg

As mentioned earlier, Guilds are required to participate in territory battles, but they play a large role themselves. Your Guild will be your own central community with a guild wide chat and announcement board. Guilds consist of at max 50 members. The members can help each other out through the “gear exchange” which means that if you only lack those last 3 pieces of gear to the next gear level, you can ask your fellow guild mates to send you some pieces on a 24 hour timer. A large part of Guild gameplay is cooperating to take down Raid Bosses. Furthermore just being part of a Guild, and completing daily Guild Challenges will earn you Guild Tokens which can be spent to unlock special Characters, as well as buying some pieces of Gear.

oKraMz2.jpg

Raids are the current main challenge for Guilds to complete. There are currently 2 Raids in the Game, each consisting of 4 different Phases. Completing a Raid will earn you rare Gear, as well as Gear exclusive to that Raid. Completing a Raid on the highest difficulty will also earn you shards for Raid exclusive characters. The two current Raids are fighting the Rancor from Jabba's Palace through which you can earn Han Solo shards, and Taking down a separatist AAT Tank, which will give you shards for General Kenobi.

UbdI6vc.jpg

We have an active Guild "NeoGAFFI Sticks". We welcome anyone but it would be appreciated if you are active and follow our rules, which are both in the guild description, as well as in the headline of our chat. Just leave us a message here in the OT if you want to join up.

*special thanks to Xypher in the creation of this OT*

ghostmind

Developer Updates

Territory Battles Overview (Aug 19th)

Update to Territory Battle Timers (Aug 26th)

Update 9 Patch Notes (Aug 29th)

Veteran Smuggler Han Solo revealed (Sep 6th)

Veteran Smuggler Chewbacca revealed (Sep 6th)

BB-8 revealed (Sep 20th)

Phoenix Squadron ZETA Abilities (Oct 3rd)

The Road Ahead (Oct 3rd)

Chimaera ship revealed (Oct 4th)

Content Update (Oct 4th)

Content Update (Oct 6th)

Mother Talzin revealed (Oct 13th)

Nightsister Spirit and Nightsister Zombie revealed (Oct 18th)

Nightsister Reworks (Oct 18th)

Content Update (Oct 18th)

Events Calendar

Daily login: Talia

Endor Escalation (Wicket)
Starts: Oct 19th
Ends: TBA

Rituals of Revenge (Mother Talzin unlock)
Starts: Oct 20th

Nightsisters Advanced Tactics Flash Event (2pm to 8pm daily)

Defense of Dathomir (Mother Talzin)

Assault Battle: Secrets and Shadows
Starts: Oct 21st

Omega Battles: Jakku
Starts: Oct 22nd
Ends: Oct 22nd

Grandmaster's Training (Grandmaster Yoda)
Starts: Oct 19th
Ends: Oct 25th

Territory Battle- Hoth: Rebel
Stars: Oct 23rd
Ends: Oct 28th

Assault Battle: Places of Power
Starts: Oct 24th
Ends: Oct 24th

Daring Droid (R2-D2)
Starts: Oct 26th
Ends: Nov 1st

Ghosts of Dathomir (Nightsister Zombie and Nightsister Spirit unlocks)
Starts: Oct 31st

ghostmind

Would love to join the Gaf guild. Active daily and looking to raid.

Code: 925-128-211

Invite sent.

Our most explicit rule, other than requesting active daily participation, is regarding the Heroic Rancor Raid. For the first 24 hours of each Raid being launched, all Guild members are to do only a 0 damage attack. After 24 hours have expired, everyone attacks as normal. This allows for Guild members that cannot be available to participate in the Raid (since it only lasts for a couple hours at best) to still receive Raid awards.

JoRo

Great job with the updated OT! This game has improved so much over time. If anyone left after their numerous mistakes and fumbles, it might be worth checking out again! They have had a few QoL updates that made it much better. Also if you have never tried it, give it a shot! We'd love to have you join our guild!

Invite sent.

Our most explicit rule, other than requesting active daily participation, is regarding the Heroic Rancor Raid. For the first 24 hours of each Raid being launched, all Guild members are to do only a 0 damage attack. After 24 hours have expired, everyone attacks as normal. This allows for Guild members that cannot be available to participate in the Raid (since it only lasts for a couple hours at best) to still receive Raid awards.

Just to be clear (since I've never tried this), would a 0 damage attack be from a level 1 throwaway character?

Tobor

Just to be clear (since I've never tried this), would a 0 damage attack be from a level 1 throwaway character?

Doesn't have to be. I use a level 85 character with a taunt. On the first move I taunt rather than attack and he is killed immediately.

If you somehow survive and have to attack, hit the guards on the side. They don't count as damage done. Only the center guard counts.

Welcome to all new players!

matt360

Great OP! Shows how much the game has changed over the past two years. I wonder how intimidating all of these new things will be to newer players.

rekkair

Neo Member
Didn't think this game would be as compelling as it has been, but it has. Here's hoping Territory Battles is a good addition. Also, Commander Luke is really OP for the Rancor raid. I've never gone through an entire phase with a team still alive from beginning to end until today.

matt360

Didn't think this game would be as compelling as it has been, but it has. Here's hoping Territory Battles is a good addition. Also, Commander Luke is really OP for the Rancor raid. I've never gone through an entire phase with a team still alive from beginning to end until today.

Yup. I've been able to solo the entire thing since unlocking him. Teebo (l), Commander Luke, Biggs, Wedge, and Qui-Gon. Takes about 20 minutes.

Stanng243

I haven't been able to play as much as I like lately, quite simply as hand surgery sucks. Which teams should I be focusing on, for the limited time characters?

SpaceWolf

Banned
As someone who started playing this fairly recently, it's frustrating me that I basically can't engage in any of the raids as a Level 60 player.

Nice OT!

I can't wait for Territories to start. I think it will be a great addition where all guild members get the exact same rewards and your entire squad matters.

Here's a question: I have zetas on Nihilus, Maul, Savage and Dooku (Aayla is my other arena teammate currently). I'm about to get another zeta and have no idea who to put it on. Suggestions?

Here's a question: I have zetas on Nihilus, Maul, Savage and Dooku (Aayla is my other arena teammate currently). I'm about to get another zeta and have no idea who to put it on. Suggestions?

This is just what I have direct familiarity with:

Finn if you have the means to make a Resistance party.
Kylo Ren is still pretty huge for Heroic AAT, and while I use to dislike it as being such a personalized Zeta, it's really really good in use now that I have it.
QGJ if you want to start working on a light side party, Yoda's ability to spread the foresight to non-Jedi make it really good even if not going full Jedi.

Alternatively, you could just save it for the next big thing.

Gaspode_T

What about CLS if you have him - can't remember if I saw you unlocking him or not!

I'm working hard on gearing him up...rebel squads seem like a safe bet for versatility and GW etc.

So I never really followed the meta(just played with characters I like) but now that im getting up there I figure I should start working on it.

If I definitely wanted Fulcrum Ahsoka on my team what are some good team options, if anyone knows.

Aselith

So I never really followed the meta(just played with characters I like) but now that im getting up there I figure I should start working on it.

If I definitely wanted Fulcrum Ahsoka on my team what are some good team options, if anyone knows.

Well Jyn lead would mean Fulcrum gains protection when she buffs if you zeta. Jyn, Chirrut, Baze, R2 and Ahsoka seems like it might be pretty good

DustinC

Could I get an invite to the guild again? I didn't realize the last time I asked that I had to leave my existing guild first!

ID is 717-373-158

Thanks!

yamo

Do I need to have activated all the characters to use the ships that require more than one crew member?
Or could I for example use the Millenium Falcon with only Rey?

Xypher

Do I need to have activated all the characters to use the ships that require more than one crew member?
Or could I for example use the Millenium Falcon with only Rey?

Yeah, you will need all toons which are crew members for that specific ship, so for the falcon you'll need rey and finn.

So with Palpatine coming back around, I'll be making my first effort toward earning a 7* event character. Roughly how strong do my characters have to be to clear the last stage?

My team will be Wiggs, Leia, STHan, and Old Ben (if RNG doesn't screw me on his farm). I can only get these guys up to G8, and mods will be "decent" at best since all my cantina energy/refreshes are going to 7*-ing my last two characters.

Any thoughts on what steps I can take to make this happen, or am I screwed without a beefier team?

Xypher

How's gaf's guild? My guild can't beat haat yet and are very disorganized. I want to get better.

We are not downing HAAT yet either, but we recently got rid of a lot of inactive members so we have open spots, and are working on haat. We now down the normal tank within one refresh.

Nice new thread. Territory battles seems cool so far, now Phase 1 has kicked off.

I am in a guild, but I'd be happy to jump over to the GAF one if there's still room. My code is 696-713-793. I'm not sure if I have to leave my guild first, with the last update allowing us to search/join a new guild before leaving the current one.

Top Bottom