• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT19| Raiders of the Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocean

Banned
The leaked info graph with alleged dates for expansions turned out to be wrong. TDB launched exactly 3 months after the game. The chart had HoW launching 3 months later, and Comet 6 months after that.

Bungie hasn't said a beep about HoW. They started heavily pushing TDB a month before it came out. If they were shooting for a 4 month delay between TDB and HoW, that'd be an April release. But we're a month out from mid-April and still no word.

You guys think this'll be a May launch? Two more months without any new content is a very, very long time. I mean it's been 3 months since TDB and a lot of us found it to be thin on content even on the first week :p

What do you guys think the rationale at Bungie has been to make the gap between TDB and HoW so long? I mean I'd have far more easily understood giving us a 5 month span with vanilla Destiny than with TDB as the content threshold. Maybe to avoid having too long of a pause between HoW and Comet?

The leaked info graph with alleged dates for expansions turned out to be wrong. TDB launched exactly 3 months after the game. The chart had HoW launching 3 months later, and Comet 6 months after that.

Bungie hasn't said a beep about HoW. They started heavily pushing TDB a month before it came out. If they were shooting for a 4 month delay between TDB and HoW, that'd be an April release. But we're a month out from mid-April and still no word.

You guys think this'll be a May launch? Two more months without any new content is a very, very long time. I mean it's been 3 months since TDB and a lot of us found it to be thin on content even on the first week :p

What do you guys think the rationale at Bungie has been to make the gap between TDB and HoW so long? I mean I'd have far more easily understood giving us a 5 month span with vanilla Destiny than with TDB as the content threshold. Maybe to avoid having too long of a pause between HoW and Comet?
I wouldn't say it was wrong. That was their plan and they delayed it because of the reaction to Dark Below. I think the May 19th datamined date is the new date.

Numpt3

More content being added to HoW is what I'd like to think.... That's probably foolish though.

todd360

They are probably just hard at work making the house of wolves. Game development takes time. I doubt its 100% finished and they are just holding it.

I wouldn't say it was wrong. That was their plan and they delayed it because of the reaction to Dark Below. I think the May 19th datamined date is the new date.

I think things like "more vault space" are holding it up. Didn't they push all of the quality of life updates before TDB content release? If I had to guess, they probably realize that things would melt if they gave us more stuff before opening up the vault, and without clearly defining whatever upgrade restrictions/systems/commodities they will have to bring your exotics up to 34 light and 364 attack.

Mindlog

Is it weird that upon reflection I liked Dark Below and still feel ripped off by it?
The Urn and Wakening missions are some of my favorite encounters. I hate Crota glitches, but soloing normal is fun.

ME3 MP packs felt like they added more with less.
This is probably more a reflection on my own problems with the base content.

Anyhow, back to the matter at hand. Kashyyyk isn't going to take itself. Fuck the Wookies.

I think things like "more vault space" are holding it up. Didn't they push all of the quality of life updates before TDB content release? If I had to guess, they probably realize that things would melt if they gave us more stuff before opening up the vault, and without clearly defining whatever upgrade restrictions/systems/commodities they will have to bring your exotics up to 34 light and 364 attack.

I think that too. They have a bunch of features they are adding that wasn't originally planned. The schedule may have changed, but I bet the leaked slide is more right than wrong.

Still not clear on how progression will work if they don't have Vendor gear outclass CE gear out of the gate as Luke Smith implied. Maybe HoW Raid is the only progression for higher Light levels.

Well we can do one next weekend if you want. We will just have to come up with an idea I guess.
There must be stuff we haven't talked about. We usually end up going off on tangents anyway.
Is it weird that upon reflection I liked Dark Below and still feel ripped off by it?
The Urn and Wakening missions are some of my favorite encounters. I hate Crota glitches, but soloing normal is fun.

Anyhow, back to the matter at hand. Kashyyyk isn't going to take itself. Fuck the Wookies.

They were free though. It's completely fair to still feel ripped off by TDB.

Ghazi

I have spent half an hour trying to do a single public event because they didn't happen, my game froze at 90% on the warsat, or I get booted to orbit. Fix your fucking shit, Bungie.

Gordon

I feel that. It was a rip off for $20, and it did very little to deliver what we wanted from it, but what we did get we were able to have a reasonable amount of fun with anyhow. It would have been nice if it had interesting exotics and a challenging raid and maybe a deeper pool of content with less recycling, but at least we got some wacky bounties, a set of easy loot drops to gear us up for the next DLC and Crota totally points back when you point at him lol

And NLB to use as a LASO style modifier, and for making people quit in PvP. Can't undervalue NLB.

ocean

Banned
More content being added to HoW is what I'd like to think.... That's probably foolish though.
LOL, I hope so too but think it's extremely doubtful. HoW will probably be a Raid, 2-3 Strikes, a handful of Story missions and a handful of Exotics. I'm pumped for it because this game is our crack but I don't expect much more than what TDB offered. Fingers crossed, I'd love to be wrong.

They are probably just hard at work making the house of wolves. Game development takes time. I doubt its 100% finished and they are just holding it.
Well I don't doubt they're working but you know launch dates on this kind of thing are more of a business and administrative decision than a development one. This isn't an afterthought DLC; the bases for it have been worked on even before the game launched. Not to suggest that glitching into an area means it's been 100% all along and just DLC/time gated for the fun of it, but I doubt an effort like finishing up the details on HoW would require 5 months. From scratch maybe, but we know there's a large portion of it which doesn't require ground-up work.

Take TDB's strikes and missions. Very little new geometry (reusing existing assets), zero new enemy designs (and the attending AI that new enemies would entail). No new vehicle types. No new weapon types. No new subclasses. I mean the kind of stuff that would really require a long time just hasn't been added.

Not dissing on the dev team but it really feels like this delay is more of a business decision. Which I don't mind at all. I just wonder whether, business wise, this long a gap is really the best idea.

ocean

Banned
Finally, dat revenant shader! Only had to reach level 9 to get it.

Feel my envy. Feel it.

I gave up on that :( Shaders seem like they would have been a great way of using excess Commendations but alas, they're the true endgame loot. Zero way of getting them other than luck and with fewer rolls than Exotics (Gorgon x2, NF, Crota, Atheon, DS, engrams, Xûr) vs. just faction level up).

Gordon

LOL, I hope so too but think it's extremely doubtful. HoW will probably be a Raid, 2-3 Strikes, a handful of Story missions and a handful of Exotics. I'm pumped for it because this game is our crack but I don't expect much more than what TDB offered. Fingers crossed, I'd love to be wrong.

Well I don't doubt they're working but you know launch dates on this kind of thing are more of a business and administrative decision than a development one. This isn't an afterthought DLC; the bases for it have been worked on even before the game launched. Not to suggest that glitching into an area means it's been 100% all along and just DLC/time gated for the fun of it, but I doubt an effort like finishing up the details on HoW would require 5 months. From scratch maybe, but we know there's a large portion of it which doesn't require ground-up work.

Take TDB's strikes and missions. Very little new geometry (reusing existing assets), zero new enemy designs (and the attending AI that new enemies would entail). No new vehicle types. No new weapon types. No new subclasses. I mean the kind of stuff that would really require a long time just hasn't been added.

Not dissing on the dev team but it really feels like this delay is more of a business decision. Which I don't mind at all. I just wonder whether, business wise, this long a gap is really the best idea.
I'll bet they planned HoW to be on-par with TDB and when everybody told them it was a rip-off they realized they had fucked themselves by building HoW into the vanilla game and limiting themselves, so now they're scrambling trying to figure out how to cram an actual expansion into something like TDB's scope.

Gordon

Feel my envy. Feel it.

I gave up on that :( Shaders seem like they would have been a great way of using excess Commendations but alas, they're the true endgame loot. Zero way of getting them other than luck and with fewer rolls than Exotics (Gorgon x2, NF, Crota, Atheon, DS vs. faction level up).
I don't see how they don't have a commendation economy yet - half the packages I get are just that and a coin or some trash like that.

Mindlog

They were free though. It's completely fair to still feel ripped off by TDB.
That's selling them short though.
I really feel like that team managed to squeeze every ounce of their budget. I have the utmost respect for the person that managed to create the Turian Cabal and Talon Engineer with the resources they were alloted. Every weapon added tried to avoid being a straight upgrade and instead brought something new to the table. Different games should be held to different metrics, but it's hard to escape this feeling.
I feel that. It was a rip off for $20, and it did very little to deliver what we wanted from it, but what we did get we were able to have a reasonable amount of fun with anyhow.
Concur. I've had a lot of fun with, Destiny.
It's really weird. I can't deny I had fun, but I definitely wouldn't do it again. Maybe the games released in the same time frame were universally terrible. I really wish they were taking the time to add more to HoW. I can't scratch the niggling thought that the only reason they delayed HoW was to make us feel like our time with TDB wasn't wasted. We complained that completing the raid to be level 30 only lasted 3 months. Now our time is respected because TDB to HoW was a 5 month transition?

The Wookies have been pacified. Time to tech up so I can blow up Endor. I really hate Ewoks.

I'll bet they planned HoW to be on-par with TDB and when everybody told them it was a rip-off they realized they had fucked themselves by building HoW into the vanilla game and limiting themselves, so now they're scrambling trying to figure out how to cram an actual expansion into something like TDB's scope.

Maybe, I don't expect them to deviate from the original plan too much. 1 Raid, 1 Strike and 3 Story missions from the leaked slide

Any additional resources are going to things like Vault upgrade. At most they create one more "backwards" strike. Nothing to dev heavy.

I don't see how they don't have a commendation economy yet - half the packages I get are just that and a coin or some trash like that.

I am sure that is not lost on them. They gotta have data and personal experience to see that Commendations were a complete failure. They ought to be removed from the game. Can we dismantle for glimmer?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone wanna play on XB1? Level 28 Hunter, up for anything. Nightfall sounds fun.

patchday

Honestly I felt like TDB was good value for $20. And I'm not even a hardcore Destiny fanboy in the least.

This is only because I immensely enjoyed Crota raid. The improved drop rates, high repeatability, and vast amount of new raid weapons really did seal the deal. The new multiplayer maps were well done (Skyshock I just don't like but its' high quality).

Granted, I'm back down to casual play again (once a week) and with Bloodborne arriving I will likely remain casual

Honestly I felt like TDB was good value for $20. And I'm not even a hardcore Destiny fanboy in the least.

This is only because I immensely enjoyed Crota raid. The improved drop rates, high repeatability, and vast amount of new raid weapons really did seal the deal. The new multiplayer maps were well done (Skyshock I just don't like but its' high quality).

Granted, I'm back down to casual play again (once a week) and with Bloodborne arriving I will likely remain casual

I think people do the math.

Main game $60: 1 Raid, 20 Story Missions and 5 Strikes.
Expansion $20: 1 raid, 3 Story Missions and 1 Strike.
Add in a couple Strikes for PS Users.

Less than 1/3 the content added but at 1/3 the price.

ocean

Banned
Maybe, I don't expect them to deviate from the original plan too much. 1 Raid, 1 Strike and 3 Story missions from the leaked slide

Any additional resources are going to things like Vault upgrade. At most they create one more "backwards" strike. Nothing to dev heavy.

What's worse is how little in the new Strikes was...new. I mean Will of Crota rehashes areas we've already visited in the Cosmodrome except for the leadup to the final closet room. And the Undying Mind is a flipped old map :/

I imagine we'll get 2-3 new Strikes. Actual new areas though? No faith in that. Story missions were not bad to be honest. I mean that last Urn mission is the best in the entire game, it's a true shame you can't run it more than once. I figure they'll give us a couple of new cool story missions (and use them for Daily Heroics nonstop :p), no qualms on that regard.

To turn this conversation into something a little more productive: what would make it NOT feel like a ripoff to you? Being reasonable of course. For me, by segment:

Raids: 1 Raid, well designed, is enough. If they give us something as mechanically compelling as the Vault of Glass I'll be happy. Notice how Heroic VoG is still challenging despite us being over leveled. The same won't happen with CE once we hit 33, it'll just be Normal again with some yellow bars.

Strikes: 3 Strikes which are earnestly original would be enough. Specially if they're available on both platforms so they can spruce up the NF/Weekly rotation. Not a map we've played drawn in reverse, or an extended story mission like the Dust Palace. 2-3 really nice Strikes would make a huge difference, revitalizing the Weekly treadmill with a more varied playlist rotation.

Story Missions: Whatever. I don't think anyone here really cares too much about these, we haven't since the game launched in the first place.

Exotics: Oh boy. This is where TDB really fell flat. New weapons are ass. But most of all, there's too few of them. I mean we got a RL that doesn't track, a primary sniper that's (insult redacted in honor of recent VoG run), a shotgun outclassed by vendor legendaries and a LOL Raid Exotic. 4 weapons is just not enough, even ignoring the fact that they're all subpar. This is where they can really make a difference in making it feel fresh. I don't think this is exaggerated but I think each expansion should bring 10ish new Exotic weapons. New Exotic bounties. Tick all the boxes, give us new Exotics of every weapon type. There's no Exotic Void Sniper, or Arc Rocket Launcher, or Void Fusion Rifle/Shotgun. I feel they did better on the armor front with interesting choices. Starfire, Obsidian Mind, Ruin Wings, Radiant Dance Machines et al added some fun perks. But weapons, oh man.

TLDR: HoW needs good strikes (plural, and not exclusive so we can add more than one to NF rotation) and a lot more Exotic weapons to keep the game from going stale.

Deku Tree

I think people do the math.

Main game $60: 1 Raid, 20 Story Missions and 5 Strikes.
Expansion $20: 1 raid, 3 Story Missions and 1 Strike.
Add in a couple Strikes for PS Users.

Less than 1/3 the content added but at 1/3 the price.

You forgot PvP and weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom