• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT19| Raiders of the Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordon

Concur. I've had a lot of fun with, Destiny.
It's really weird. I can't deny I had fun, but I definitely wouldn't do it again. Maybe the games released in the same time frame were universally terrible. I really wish they were taking the time to add more to HoW. I can't scratch the niggling thought that the only reason they delayed HoW was to make us feel like our time with TDB wasn't wasted. We complained that completing the raid to be level 30 only lasted 3 months. Now our time is respected because TDB to HoW was a 5 month transition?.
*shudder* that makes too much sense lol
I imagine that's probably an aspect of it, but I hope it's only an aspect and not the whole story lol

Maybe, I don't expect them to deviate from the original plan too much. 1 Raid, 1 Strike and 3 Story missions from the leaked slide

Any additional resources are going to things like Vault upgrade. At most they create one more "backwards" strike. Nothing to dev heavy.
I hope they beef it up in terms of the loot pool and maybe add some plot depth. A few extra sets of weapons not associated with a particular faction would go a long way to making the loot feel interesting, especially if they beefed up the perk pool and maybe added a weapon tweaker vendor that could swap out the last perk for one from a weapon you sac or something. Oh, and like double or triple the weapon stat archetypes. THAT makes the game feel staler than anything.

I'd be okay with a small amount of mission content if the reward content was deep enough to make it feel like I'm not basically done this game all the time.

I am sure that is not lost on them. They gotta have data and personal experience to see that Commendations were a complete failure. They ought to be removed from the game. Can we dismantle for glimmer?
A couple thousand glimmer wouldn't be a bad trade I suppose. Pretty sure you just dump them into orbit like ships, shaders, and scooters at this point.

Deku Tree

What's worse is how little in the new Strikes was...new. I mean Will of Crota rehashes areas we've already visited in the Cosmodrome except for the leadup to the final closet room. And the Undying Mind is a flipped old map :/

I imagine we'll get 2-3 new Strikes. Actual new areas though? No faith in that. Story missions were not bad to be honest. I mean that last Urn mission is the best in the entire game, it's a true shame you can't run it more than once. I figure they'll give us a couple of new cool story missions (and use them for Daily Heroics nonstop :p), no qualms on that regard.

To turn this conversation into something a little more productive: what would make it NOT feel like a ripoff to you? Being reasonable of course. For me, by segment:

Raids: 1 Raid, well designed, is enough. If they give us something as mechanically compelling as the Vault of Glass I'll be happy. Notice how Heroic VoG is still challenging despite us being over leveled. The same won't happen with CE once we hit 33, it'll just be Normal again with some yellow bars.

Strikes: 3 Strikes which are earnestly original would be enough. Specially if they're available on both platforms so they can spruce up the NF/Weekly rotation. Not a map we've played drawn in reverse, or an extended story mission like the Dust Palace. 2-3 really nice Strikes would make a huge difference, revitalizing the Weekly treadmill with a more varied playlist rotation.

Story Missions: Whatever. I don't think anyone here really cares too much about these, we haven't since the game launched in the first place.

Exotics: Oh boy. This is where TDB really fell flat. New weapons are ass. But most of all, there's too few of them. I mean we got a RL that doesn't track, a primary sniper that's (insult redacted in honor of recent VoG run), a shotgun outclassed by vendor legendaries and a LOL Raid Exotic. 4 weapons is just not enough, even ignoring the fact that they're all subpar. This is where they can really make a difference in making it feel fresh. I don't think this is exaggerated but I think each expansion should bring 10ish new Exotic weapons. New Exotic bounties. Tick all the boxes, give us new Exotics of every weapon type. There's no Exotic Void Sniper, or Arc Rocket Launcher, or Void Fusion Rifle/Shotgun. I feel they did better on the armor front with interesting choices. Starfire, Obsidian Mind, Ruin Wings, Radiant Dance Machines et al added some fun perks. But weapons, oh man.

TLDR: HoW needs good strikes (plural, and not exclusive so we can add more than one to NF rotation) and a lot more Exotic weapons to keep the game from going stale.

4th horseman is a good exotic shotgun. Better than the legendaries.

nOoblet16

What's worse is how little in the new Strikes was...new. I mean Will of Crota rehashes areas we've already visited in the Cosmodrome except for the leadup to the final closet room. And the Undying Mind is a flipped old map :/

I imagine we'll get 2-3 new Strikes. Actual new areas though? No faith in that. Story missions were not bad to be honest. I mean that last Urn mission is the best in the entire game, it's a true shame you can't run it more than once. I figure they'll give us a couple of new cool story missions (and use them for Daily Heroics nonstop :p), no qualms on that regard.

To turn this conversation into something a little more productive: what would make it NOT feel like a ripoff to you? Being reasonable of course. For me, by segment:

Raids: 1 Raid, well designed, is enough. If they give us something as mechanically compelling as the Vault of Glass I'll be happy. Notice how Heroic VoG is still challenging despite us being over leveled. The same won't happen with CE once we hit 33, it'll just be Normal again with some yellow bars.

Strikes: 3 Strikes which are earnestly original would be enough. Specially if they're available on both platforms so they can spruce up the NF/Weekly rotation. Not a map we've played drawn in reverse, or an extended story mission like the Dust Palace. 2-3 really nice Strikes would make a huge difference, revitalizing the Weekly treadmill with a more varied playlist rotation.

Story Missions: Whatever. I don't think anyone here really cares too much about these, we haven't since the game launched in the first place.

Exotics: Oh boy. This is where TDB really fell flat. New weapons are ass. But most of all, there's too few of them. I mean we got a RL that doesn't track, a primary sniper that's (insult redacted in honor of recent VoG run), a shotgun outclassed by vendor legendaries and a LOL Raid Exotic. 4 weapons is just not enough, even ignoring the fact that they're all subpar. This is where they can really make a difference in making it feel fresh. I don't think this is exaggerated but I think each expansion should bring 10ish new Exotic weapons. New Exotic bounties. Tick all the boxes, give us new Exotics of every weapon type. There's no Exotic Void Sniper, or Arc Rocket Launcher, or Void Fusion Rifle/Shotgun. I feel they did better on the armor front with interesting choices. Starfire, Obsidian Mind, Ruin Wings, Radiant Dance Machines et al added some fun perks. But weapons, oh man.

TLDR: HoW needs good strikes (plural, and not exclusive so we can add more than one to NF rotation) and a lot more Exotic weapons to keep the game from going stale.
I can't believe that they decided to have two completely troll weapons for exotics in the DLC and the shotgun is kind of a troll too because the stats are all a mismatch (Bad reload, really fast fire rate and a range equivalent to titan's melee attack). Dragon's Breath is decent but again mismatch stats make it useless.

ocean

Banned
I think people do the math.

Main game $60: 1 Raid, 20 Story Missions and 5 Strikes.
Expansion $20: 1 raid, 3 Story Missions and 1 Strike.
Add in a couple Strikes for PS Users.

Less than 1/3 the content added but at 1/3 the price.

Raids: 100% increase (1 to 2)
Strikes: 33% increase (6 to 8)

Numbers wise that's alright. It's the quality that I had issue with. New strikes are lazy and unoriginal. CE corrected VoG's unforgiving loot table distribution (#forever29), but as a Raid is less interesting IMO.

On the Exotics front:

Weapons: 20% increase (20 to 24)
Armor: 42% increase (19 to 27)

They did great on Armor. Gauntlets that give more heavy ammo or make you invisible on melee hits, helms that feed your Space Magic or zoom in your GG, boots for Crucible domination, there's a good amount and interesting perks being added. The weapons? Too few and honestly, none of them are good. They really slacked on that department.

I imagine we'll get 2-3 new Strikes. Actual new areas though? No faith in that.

We already know about some new areas. One glitched into back in the Beta (Kings Watch on Earth) others on Venus. Don't recall the name of the place, but it is from a Story mission based on leaked slide. The new Strike has a new area, glitched into recently and the area was fairly large so probably most of the strike is new.

So short answer, we get new areas, but they've been there for a long time.

Exotics: Oh boy. This is where TDB really fell flat. New weapons are ass. But most of all, there's too few of them.

Right on. This problem will be even greater in HoW since more people will have gotten all the vanilla exotics by the time of release. As much as I enjoy the content and love playing with others in Destiny, the urge to compulsively play is ultimately fueled by chasing the carrot of new gear.

nOoblet16

lol nope

£35 so probably $35

fucking Bungie

I got lucky since I was able to buy the Destiny Limited edition sealed which included the season pass as well, off amazon in January for £35. It actually costs more than that (£45) right now. Still cheaper than the £80-90 price on PSN lol

ocean

Banned
4th horseman is a good exotic shotgun. Better than the legendaries.
It's not a bad weapon. But its perks are all over the place, I have to compromise too far on one aspect to make up for another. Range vs. Stability is an impossible conundrum on that shotty. I feel more comfortable with Found Verdict, Invective, Secret Handshake, and the IB Shotty than with 4th Horseman because they feel more balanced. It's a DPS powerhouse with that insane RoF but it's hard to use. Maybe it's just a higher skill level weapon like TLW and that's why I haven't had success with it.

We already know about some new areas. One glitched into back in the Beta (Kings Watch on Earth) others on Venus. Don't recall the name of the place, but it is from a Story mission based on leaked slide. The new Strike has a new area, glitched into recently and the area was fairly large so probably most of the strike is new.

So short answer, we get new areas, but they've been there for a long time.

I don't mind them being there for a long time. I mind having actually played through areas and being told they're new :p

Arrrammis

You guys think this'll be a May launch? Two more months without any new content is a very, very long time. I mean it's been 3 months since TDB and a lot of us found it to be thin on content even on the first week :p

What do you guys think the rationale at Bungie has been to make the gap between TDB and HoW so long? I mean I'd have far more easily understood giving us a 5 month span with vanilla Destiny than with TDB as the content threshold. Maybe to avoid having too long of a pause between HoW and Comet?

I think they are seeing how some people finished all of the DB content in a few weeks, and might be pushing to not have 6 months of nothing new before the Comet. Pushing HoW back a month or two kind of makes sense if they want people to stick around between HoW and Comet, but if they push it back past April I don't know if I or any of my friends will still be around (bah, who am I kidding?).

I also like to think that they're testing the raid with outside people to try and address cheeses, the necessity of a full fireteam for the raid (soloing the entire hard mode of the raid is kinda cool, but overall it's just depressing and stupid that it's possible to do so), and hopefully come up with a system for armor and exotics that doesn't feel like players who have played a lot are throwing away a ton of their progress, while still allowing new players to get to higher levels reasonably quickly.

Also, a few other things that I am hoping they use this time to implement:
- Sound Control (I want to actually hear my fireteam over the blaring music)
- tutorial/ explanation of light levels once a character hits 20
- Skippable cutscenes (I still find it funny that they only you can skip is the one that just says "Activision" at the beginning of the game)
- Permanent PvP modes (everyone loves salvage and inferno, why are they still on a rotation!?!)

ocean

Banned
I think they are seeing how some people finished all of the DB content in a few weeks, and might be pushing to not have 6 months of nothing new before the Comet. Pushing HoW back a month or two kind of makes sense if they want people to stick around between HoW and Comet, but if they push it back past April I don't know if I or any of my friends will still be around (bah, who am I kidding?).

I also like to think that they're testing the raid with outside people to try and address cheeses, the necessity of a full fireteam for the raid (soloing the entire hard mode of the raid is kinda cool, but overall it's just depressing and stupid that it's possible to do so), and hopefully come up with a system for armor and exotics that doesn't feel like players who have played a lot are throwing away a ton of their progress, while still allowing new players to get to higher levels reasonably quickly.

Also, a few other things that I am hoping they use this time to implement:
- Sound Control (I want to actually hear my fireteam over the blaring music)
- tutorial/ explanation of light levels once a character hits 20
- Skippable cutscenes (I still find it funny that they only you can skip is the one that just says "Activision" at the beginning of the game)
- Permanent PvP modes (everyone loves salvage and inferno, why are they still on a rotation!?!)

Well at least they addressed some of those. They've mentioned they won't fuck us over on Exotic upgrades and will work on sound mix options. I really hope they prevent people from "upgrading" weapons that don't need it. It was so frustrating a few OTs back when a new DGAFer "upgraded" his 331 Ice Breaker once he maxed it only to see it reset progress after costing so much glimmer. The game should at the very least explain what you're doing, or more intelligently not even let you do that at all :/

Also, no-Super mode is such a no brainer that I'll be honestly disappointed if they don't bring it up soon :p

doomquake

Anyway..I'm back HARD after stopping with destiny in late November. The thirst is bad. Cosmodrome is comfy. Haven't lost a crucible match today. Feeling good.
But then I was asked what the story of my character was since...this is an RPG..and I started with saying how I got raised from the dead near the cosmodrome in some traffic jam..and then I was shredded at how stupid this story is and how humans should just overthrow the traveler and make him resurrect the entire world...made me think that there is STILL so much potential for bungie to go totally nuts with the plot.
Damn..it would be cool to have factions and community efforts ala Helldiver's and real community events. All I'm doing is pushing my new monarchy bar towards getting that auto rifle which I'll probably never use. Oh and I need a crucible mark too..great. Faction crap harder than buying something from xur.
And while I'm at it...three story missions??? I want to punch that disgusting scrota woman off of the tower. Anyway. Did some weird scrota strike on mars..what a borefest.
I haven't touched raiding yet but I can't wait. Despite the hate..since this is probably my favorite shooter I've ever played.

grief

Thanks for the NM Crota run guys! Carrying the sword was fun, I'd be down to give it another try in the future.

phen0m24

Have yet to land on Wall of Shame. Whew!

Hi guys!

OT20|Everybody's Gone to Yarnham
OT20|Exodus Blue(s)
OT20|RNG = Really. No Gjallarhorn.

So if this OT takes us until May to fill, maybe OT 20 (post-HoW) will be the one where we talk about Comet and:

transmog armor
Re-rolling weapons at the Gunsmith
A crazy sized vault
Higher glimmer cap
A weapons test range at the Tower
New bounty type missions
Deeper story
VoG Raid playlist for Strikes - for those who can't find raid teams (Templar/Oracles/GKs)
A "Hunting Gorgons" mission or mode in the Maze (hack a gorgon, cloaked gorgons, etc.)
A horde mode
Dismantling speeders or ships and getting glimmer and mats
Trading weapons or materials or coins for exotic shards for anything else - a real economy

And more..

(hopes)

ocean

Banned

Hi guys!

OT20|Exodus Blue(s)

So if this OT takes us until May to fill, maybe OT 20 (post-HoW) will be the one where we talk about Comet and:

transmog armor
Re-rolling weapons at the Gunsmith
A crazy sized vault
Higher glimmer cap
A weapons test range at the Tower
New bounty type missions
Deeper story
VoG Raid playlist for Strikes - for those who can't find raid teams (Templar/Oracles/GKs)
A "Hunting Gorgons" mission or mode in the Maze (hack a gorgon, cloaked gorgons, etc.)
A horde mode
Dismantling speeders or ships and getting glimmer and mats
Trading weapons or materials or coins for exotic shards for anything else - a real economy

And more..

(hopes)

Vendor test range to try out weapons before purchasing? Oh man, the goddamn potential this game has.

phen0m24

Vendor test range to try out weapons before purchasing?

Why stop there?

Test out the (available) perks.

Load up a Three Little Words, show available perks (not a random Nightfall roll - as those would probably not be re-rollable, maybe just vendor-bought) and apply/try before you buy!

Hammer Forged or Send it? Outlaw or Rodeo? Full Auto or Shot Package?

:) Why not?

blazeuk

Maybe, I don't expect them to deviate from the original plan too much. 1 Raid, 1 Strike and 3 Story missions from the leaked slide

Any additional resources are going to things like Vault upgrade. At most they create one more "backwards" strike. Nothing to dev heavy.

I think that's probably what they have planned for the most part, they may have felt a bit of the backlash from people saying TDB didn't offer enough and they might mix it up a little bit more than they had originally planned but I'm not expecting anything huge for HoW. Beyond that though they're in a situation where they're once again needing to sell expansions to people, I reckon if there's not a big update of content before that then they'll struggle to convince a chunk of their audience to stick around to buy more content packs.

Hi guys!

OT20|Exodus Blue(s)

haha why did no one think of that before? I like it (`・ω・´) and personally I believe there will be about ~2 OT before May :p
I post everyday a lot of messages and I never entered in the Wall of Shame... it is a shame.
POST MOAR!
you're in luck! becoming more and more busy so my destiny time is becoming more limited :(

Thanks for the NM Crota run guys! Carrying the sword was fun, I'd be down to give it another try in the future.
Now you are an addict, next is hard mode >:)

Can't believe you wall of shamers. Top 7 accounted for over 4000 posts in 20 days. 4000. That's over 200 a day.

Its easy to post short comments. Alot of mine are short and simple since as "I can load up X checkpoint" "I can help" "Hawkian does new player raids every Thursday" "Need 1 for X event" "some long explanation about the game or random thing" plus I like chatting with destinygaf. Another thing thats my pet peeve is I hate it when I ask a question and no one replies back. So I try my best to comment back whenever I am available :)

Aw yis! Dat new thread smell!

Also, title is bad and you should feel bad, Todd!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What you're seeing now is my normal state.

This is a Super Saiyan

And this...this is what is known as a Super Saiyan that has ascended past a Super Saiyan. Or you can just call this a Super Saiyan 2.

And this....IS TO GO EVEN FURTHER BEYOND!!!!

Maybe Todd can put this in the OP so you can stop posting it

Deku Tree

Is it bad that I kind of want to be on the wall of shame?

While yes, the Sony Gold is amazing, music and sound options would help. Even with the Sony Gold I still have trouble sometimes hearing my teammates.

There is a button on the side that allows you to adjust the relative volume between game music and voice chat on the Sony golds. You can adjust it so that the music is totally silent and all you hear are your team-mates. If you can't hear your team after using this button then it's because of your friends mic's.

Lnkn52

PlayStation+Gold+Wireless+Stereo+Headset-9.jpg

This is the button to adjust game chat vs game sound.

I'm back in town and happy to help with HM Scrota, Flawless, VoG runs or whatever. I'll be trapped in the dark corners of my Ps4 hard drive in the mean time.

--------------------
Wall of Shame is like # of kills in a strike, quantity has no bearing on quality and they're often at odds with one another. I'm killing the boss while you whackos are t-bagging trash mobs, lol.

Take this high quality post for example.

Skele7on

Banned
I'm back in town and happy to help with HM Scrota, Flawless, VoG runs or whatever. I'll be trapped in the dark corners of my Ps4 hard drive in the mean time.

--------------------
Wall of Shame is like # of kills in a strike, quantity has no bearing on quality and they're often at odds with one another. I'm killing the boss while you whackos are t-bagging trash mobs, lol.

I'd be down for a flawless run...

Currently stuck on a hard mode raid wanting to cry.....

I hate this game sometimes LFG sucks a lot.

If you can't hear your team after using this button then it's because of your friends mic's.

Whenever I'm trying to help a group and some guy is apparently using his camera as the mic... But all I can hear is horrible feedback from the game picked up on his camera... I try to politely ask them to mute it or something but these people typically have no idea what I'm talking about, haha. It sounds like someone yelling in my ears constantly -_-

I'd be down for a flawless run...

Currently stuck on a hard mode raid wanting to cry.....

I hate this game sometimes LFG sucks a lot.

Like I posted the other day, I'd never trust LFG for HM anything. They might be fine but odds are against you, haha. If there's enough to get a Gaf Flawless or HM group going just send me an invite on PSN. At home but still stuck on mobile and hate trying to keep up with the thread this way.

phen0m24

--------------------

So the other night we ran two Nightfalls and a weekly. At the time, I was kinda proud of myself that I had the most kills. I felt like I was contributing.
like that time I was taking the sword to Crota and his damage bar barely moved, I guess
:p

Edit: waves at absentee double-posting Drizzy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom