• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBig

Hawk269 said:
When you install 360 games, it installs the full game, not partial. So I don't think that is accurate and the PC version only requires 6gb HDD space, so it is impossible that the game is almost 8gb if the PC version only needs 6gb of space.
The data on the 360 disc is 7.79gb. There is only 3.8gb of data installed to the 360 HDD. They are using a method in which the install is only partial.
The PC number you gave was based of the min req, and not actual information.

Loxley

I'm watching Tod Howard's full 22 minute playthrough for the billionth time right now...I can't remember the last time I was anticipating a game this much. What a brilliant move releasing this on a Friday.

Hawk269

Wallach said:
PC controller support is the same as it is for FO3 and NV, so yeah it flips the UI when you toggle the controller on. They had perfect 360 controller support out of the box.

Thanks. Are you stating this based on past games or that you actually know that it is fully supported in Skyrim? Being that little to no informaton is being devulged for the PC version, I just want to make sure about the controller support before ordering on-line and beginning the pre-load.

Hawk269

Wallach said:

Thanks, but all he says is that he is playing with a 360 controller, not that the UI is changed to show 360 icons etc. Technically, Battlfield 3 is playabale with a controler, but the UI is all fucked up for controllers and some parts dont work right with a controllers.

I am wondering why there is no to little info on the PC version of the game, hell for that matter, they have not been to forth coming showing PS3 footage as well.

Wallach

Hawk269 said:
Thanks, but all he says is that he is playing with a 360 controller, not that the UI is changed to show 360 icons etc. Technically, Battlfield 3 is playabale with a controler, but the UI is all fucked up for controllers and some parts dont work right with a controllers.

I am wondering why there is no to little info on the PC version of the game, hell for that matter, they have not been to forth coming showing PS3 footage as well.

*shrug*

If you're that worried about it you could try PMing him. Chances are pretty low that they've changed their controller support, though.

Gstaff over on their forums specifically mentioned 360 pad support:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.ph...-skyrim-have-support-for-the-pc-x360-gamepad/

Technically he doesn't outright say the UI is going to change prompts, but it's something they've been doing when supporting 360 pads specifically.

Hawk269

Wallach said:
*shrug*

If you're that worried about it you could try PMing him. Chances are pretty low that they've changed their controller support, though.

Gstaff over on their forums specifically mentioned 360 pad support:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.ph...-skyrim-have-support-for-the-pc-x360-gamepad/

Technically he doesn't outright say the UI is going to change prompts, but it's something they've been doing when supporting 360 pads specifically.

Thanks for the links man. I just hate spending alot of money on a PC game that says controller support and then it ends up being all jacked up like Battlefield 3. I game on my sofa with a 55" HDTV, so having a KB/Mouse close by is not always idea, so using a controller is much better for me and I really hate when they dont implement the UI for it.

Any recent info on the release of the construction set? Will it be "on the disc" or will it be made available after the game has been released. I believe it was available for download on Bethesda's site at the same time as the release for Oblivion but I'm not completely sure.

Wallach

Hawk269 said:
Thanks for the links man. I just hate spending alot of money on a PC game that says controller support and then it ends up being all jacked up like Battlefield 3. I game on my sofa with a 55" HDTV, so having a KB/Mouse close by is not always idea, so using a controller is much better for me and I really hate when they done implement the UI for it.

No worries man, I don't blame you. Oblivion controller support was pretty jacked up on a 360 pad, but I think that is exactly what caused them to improve their support for it when they moved forward onto FO3.

Like I said, PM Nick and he'll probably get back to you if you want to be sure about the UI changing. I'm pretty confident they're handling it like they did with FO3/NV.

inter

Bah, I really was going to try and hold off on buying this until I could find it on sale (PS3) but then I started reading through this thread and now I can't wait.

Clevinger

Gen.Grievous said:
Any recent info on the release of the construction set? Will it be "on the disc" or will it be made available after the game has been released. I believe it was available for download on Bethesda's site at the same time as the release for Oblivion but I'm not completely sure.

It's definitely going to be a download. I wouldn't worry about how long it will take. Bethesda said "we'll can't confirm when we'll release Fallout 3's construction set" and then I believe it ended up being released pretty quickly.

Mastperf

MrBig said:
The data on the 360 disc is 7.79gb. There is only 3.8gb of data installed to the 360 HDD. They are using a method in which the install is only partial.
Unless it's done with an in-game installer, that isn't possible since the 360 OS install doesn't support that. It's the same reason Rage was all or nothing. The OS does remove redundant data that is there for improved loading from dvd, so I'm guessing that's where the extra data went.

Apocryphon

So I'm about 15hrs into the game and it's absolutely glorious! It's exactly what I'd hoped it would be and more... and the music is out of this world. Talk of the game looking ugly is unfounded, the game is gorgeous, even if the texture fidelity doesn't match games like Gears of War 3. For a game with a world this MASSIVE, with so few and short loads... it's ridiculously impressive.

Wallach

Majik said:
So I'm about 15hrs into the game and it's absolutely glorious! It's exactly what I'd hoped it would be and more... and the music is out of this world. Talk of the game looking ugly is unfounded, the game is gorgeous, even if the texture fidelity doesn't match games like Gears of War 3. For a game with a world this MASSIVE, with so few and short loads... it's ridiculously impressive.

Think you could answer the questions I asked in this post earlier?

Kikarian

Majik said:
Music is good? Ohhhhhh Snap! ;)

I wanted the music too be good. I felt that (even though oblivion had good music) it built it and kind off suddenly come to an end. I hope on Skyrim, It fades away.

ihasaflavour

Neo Member
Majik said:

My soul is bleeding..

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
rhfb said:
Ugh going to cave if I can find someone to sell it to me early. Release dates are so stupid.

I would be ashamed to admit how much money I'd pay for a copy right now.

Seth C

Some store really should hook me up with an early copy of this game so I can fill the thread with hundreds of direct feed pictures of the character creation screen.

Unicorn

Seth C said:
Some store really should hook me up with an early copy of this game so I can fill the thread with hundreds of direct feed pictures of the character creation screen.
Try K-Mart. I've got a few games early there. Most recent was AvP reboot.

Philia

How are you guys coping? What games are you trying to stay busy with?

I'm going through Uncharted 3, Assassin's Creed (the first one), and just recently sunk 280 hours in Xenoblade Chronicles... That rpg definitely helped the month to fly right by. But darn it, I still got a week left.

Lakitu

st5fu
Philia said:

I'm going through Uncharted 3, Assassin's Creed (the first one), and just recently sunk 280 hours in Xenoblade Chronicles... That rpg definitely helped the month to fly right by. But darn it, I still got a week left.

Battlefield 3 mutliplayer should keep me occupied until then.

Unicorn

Philia said:

I'm trying to do NaNoWriMo, but it's hard when I'm so easily distracted with gaming discussion and news.

ihasaflavour

Neo Member
Unicorn said:
I'm trying to do NaNoWriMo, but it's hard when I'm so easily distracted with gaming discussion and news.

Best of luck mate! I tried the 24 hour comic book day last month, so I know the pressure of creating under the time crunch. I wish you all the best! You can't loose since you're trying. Props!

Philia said:

So hard to answer! I should play something, but all the news and updates is keeping me glued to the computer. I've been playing through Oblivion, but man...nothing helps!

neoemonk

Knowing that other people are playing this is driving me crazy. I was totally ready to wait for another week, but it seems unbearable now.

Going PC version. My PC beats recommended, but I don't know if it's enough to run on Ultra. Somewhere above high though. I don't know. I just want to play.

With these CD key sites, how soon do they get you your key? I'd like to preload the game, but if the key doesn't ship until the release date it wouldn't be possible.

Rapture

Philia said:

Being outside has been the best way for me to cope with it haha. I've been going out every night and doing all my work for the week during the day to keep myself busy. It's been working really well but im afraid that its going to get ugly as we get down to the last few days.

syllogism

MrBig said:
There's really only 3.8gb worth of real data on the disc

Apocryphon

Wallach said:
@Bootaaay: If you get time, I would love to know the answer to a few things:

- How the fuck does Speech actually work in Skyrim? Nobody has actually had a proper detailed explanation in any preview for this game, even though they completely changed how it works.

I haven't quite figured it out yet, but the more options you explore with NPC's the better your "speech" becomes. I'm not sure if it opens up more conversation options, but I started to notice that I was getting
persuade
and
intimidate
options.

Wallach said:
- Does Marksman work alright in the third-person perspective now?

Works perfect. Haven't had a problem with it at all so far, even in super tight spaces.

Wallach said:
- Does the Dunmer active racial (Ancestor's Wrath) scale up with each level, or is it static? How big is the radius roughly?

I'm not sure what you mean by radius, but the racial traits appear to scale with your character.

Wallach said:
- Can you verify that all of these starting skill bonuses appear to be correct: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1250759-full-list-of-racial-bonuses/

Yes.

Wallach said:
- Do all the active racial abilities share the same cooldown (1/day) or are they different on a per-race basis?

I'll have to get back to you on this.

Wallach

Majik said:
I'm not sure what you mean by radius, but the racial traits appear to scale with your character.

The Dunmer racial is a spell that causes things around you to take fire damage every second for 60 seconds, I was just curious how far away it would deal damage. If you aren't playing a Dunmer don't worry about it, I'm more interested just to know if it scales up with level or not.

Thanks for answering. I'm guessing that the speechcraft options are chance based then, though I guess we might need to wait for the PC version to know exactly how it works.

JackEtc

I tried playing through Oblivion for the first time, and couldn't push myself to do it. Even with mods, I felt like it was too dated, and wasn't enjoying myself.

But I am SUPER hyped by Skyrim, and I can't wait for it to get here! I think I'll be playing Breton, not sure though.

ReaperXL7

So anyone who currently has the game, I was wondering if you could answer a quick question?

I'm curious about the build types for your characters bodies. I know that you can alter them to some degree, but I'm curious if the build types are dependent on the Race, or if there are just a set number of builds for all races.

I wanted to know because i'm planning on playing Argonian, and if I can jack him up on roids i'll go warrior, if their fairly lanky no matter which build you choose i'll go rouge/assassin type. Most of the previews skip over this feature so i'm curious how it works. If anyone can answer this, it would be much appreciated.

Fjordson

Majik said:
kermit.gif

Philia said:

The GTA V trailer got me in a Rockstar mood so I'm replaying the GTA IV episodes. They're fantastic, and are helping a bit with the wait.

Also playing Uncharted 3, but I'm in a heavy open-world mood at the moment so it's not really capturing me.

Einbroch

Banned
Impressions from playing the 360 version about 6 hours today:

From the get-go, let me state that I loved Oblivion and have only played Morrowind for about 8 hours. I am in the crowd that did NOT hate the Speech minigame (although I didn't enjoy it) and did NOT mind the zooming-up-on-people's-faces thing that Oblivion did. I did dislike the repetitive dungeons, main storyline (mainly the gates), and scaling enemies.

The game is GORGEOUS. It's so pretty. While technically not Unchartamazing, the atmosphere is incredible. Leafs rustle, trees sway, rain patters, snow gusts...I could go on. No one piece is amazing, but combined it truly makes it a sight to behold. The weather effects remind me of RDR. If it rains, people stay inside, if it snows, you can't see farther than twenty feet in front of you. There was one ugly part in a cave where the wall textures looked absolutely terrible, but that was one part.

Gameplay wise, it's great. I LOVE the regenerating health/magicka. Health recovers so slowly in combat it never matters, and outside of combat it recovers fairly quickly. Makes the flow of combat seem much faster. Combat itself is largely untouched from Oblivion besides the inclusion of finishing moves which seems random. One point I think they missed out on a great opportunity was the Favorites Wheel. You can quickly swap between magic/weapons/shields/items on the fly by tapping up on the D-pad. Hit the respective trigger on what you want, boom, it's bound. HOWEVER, you can "perma-slot" a spell/item/weapon to the left or right D-pad. Great, right? Except it's not a "preset", it's a single skill. So say you have a "recovery preset" you want that has healing in one hand and a shield in the other. Can't do it. You can slot a shield to the left D-Pad and a healing spell to the right, but it's not too smart about it.

Say you want to go from Fireball in both hands to said "recovery preset", you have to hit [right D-pad], [right D-pad], [left D-pad], and to get back to your offensive preset you have to go into the Favorites menu and left and right trigger fireball again. It doesn't seem like much, but saving both hands to a left D-pad preset would have made it SO much more intuitive.

Enough about that. The music is fantastic. It teases the main theme so many times I'm like "COME ON", but in a good way. City themes seem unique, battle themes swoop in and out with combat (except the music still gives away when there's an ambusher nearby, DOH!), it's just splendidly done.

It's Oblivion without the crappy stuff from Oblivion. Rare items, involving quests, a main quest that doesn't suck, crafting that matters, character building decisions that matter, DRAGONS (which, by the way, are hard as balls)...it's great. Oh, and did I mention the music makes me well up with mantears? Because it does. I'm enjoying this more than I enjoyed Oblivion, and Oblivion is my fourth favorite game of all time.

More than willing to answer a few questions about specifics. I. Love. This. Game.

Fjordson

I just want to collect every "excited" gif I have and post them. Great impressions. Seeing "weather effects" and "RDR" in the same sentence makes me giddy.

How are the load times? And do you have the game installed?

zethren

Banned
Thanks for all of the screenshots, Bootaaay. Glad to hear the game is as excellent as we are all hoping. :)

KorrZ said:
So whats everyone planning on doing FIRST, once they finally get out into the world of Skyrim?

Well, gonna take plenty of time crafting a sweet Nord. I'd love to give him a name based in the Dragon Language of Skyrim so if anyone knows whether or not Bethesda has released the Dragon language out onto the webz that would be awesome to look at. Then, once I'm done with character creation, I'll do the main quest for a bit and then scour the countryside/mountainside for adventures.

DodgeAnon said:
Music is good? Ohhhhhh Snap! ;)

I wanted the music too be good. I felt that (even though oblivion had good music) it built it and kind off suddenly come to an end. I hope on Skyrim, It fades away.

The music is outstanding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87Smr9Fpfnc&feature=channel_video_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0iEO4gQPrg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=CGoWJN3owvA

Einbroch

Banned
Fjordson said:
I just want to collect every "excited" gif I have and post them. Great impressions. Seeing "weather effects" and "RDR" in the same sentence makes me giddy.

How are the load times? And do you have the game installed?
Load times are kinda bad in the sense that every time you go into a store/shop/building it loads. Only like 3-4 seconds, but it still breaks the immersion.

I have the game installed, and it DOES read off the disk while installed. I hear it spinning sometimes then stopping. 3.8GB installed, but like I said it definitely sometimes runs off the disk.

Fjordson

Einbroch said:
Load times are kinda bad in the sense that every time you go into a store/shop/building it loads. Only like 3-4 seconds, but it still breaks the immersion.

I have the game installed, and it DOES read off the disk while installed. I hear it spinning sometimes then stopping. 3.8GB installed, but like I said it definitely sometimes runs off the disk.
Interesting. I'm cool with the frequency (played New Vegas this year for over 100 hours lol) as long as they're short. Sounds good.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Einbroch said:
(lots of good stuff)
As someone else who LOVED Oblivion, this is all great to hear.

How is the performance on 360 (assuming you have the game installed)? Oblivion was very stuttery at times for me, on two different Xboxes, regardless of cache being cleared or not.

Damn I need to find out if the load times are significantly longer uninstalled on 360 than installed 360, and how it compares to forced install PS3, I might switch my pre-order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom