• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: The Last of Us 2 in production, launching in 2015

Mrbob

The thread title should be changed to recognize the amount of awful titles we are coming up for the sequel.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Fall 2015 would be 2.5 years after the first game. Seems like a reasonable goal.

That would kind of require Uncharted 4 to be out this fall though.

Only reason I'm skeptical is because they hadn't even planned the DLC before launch so I doubt they were ready to start production on a sequel right away and TLoU took 3.5 years to make, which is almost double the normal ND production cycle.

Kinyou

It would be really unwise to not capitalize on a sequel to a sure-to-sell game.

Honest question, when was the last time a commercially successful game didn't evolve into a franchise?
Indie Games don't do it. But I guess that's part of their indie nature.

I don't know if that's the best way to do it. I loved TLOU and I'm sure anything ND makes is going to be incredible but I'd rather TLOU be standalone game. I'd like to see ND bring their cinematic game skills to a new setting .... sci fi or historical fiction perhaps?

I'd also be very doubtful they'd release two mega games so close together with Uncharted 4 slotted in for Q4 14/Q1 15.

I think The Last of Us was fine as a stand alone game. I hope the rumor is fake.

With a game that has got so much success, I don't see why they wouldn't make a sequel or find a way to spin that franchise in some way or the other. Perhaps a prequel or whatever, it is just a given.

Hype! I seriously only bought the PS4 for this game. The Last of Us was so good, and has the potential to be one of the biggest franchises in gaming. I really hope Naughty Dog is hard at work on the sequel. Please still be about Joel and Ellie, please don't introduce new characters, I want to see what happens to Joel and Ellie! :)

My suggestions:

The Next of Us
The Rest of Us

I hope not. I'd like TLOU to be a one-shot, but even if they make other games I'd like for them to release a new IP before that. If UC is 2014 & TLOU is 2015, New IP probably won't be till 2017 ( don't see a two year dev time for something from the ground up).

I would love to see a sequel, especially for an expanded suite for the multiplayer (new modes, in-game theater, ranking system, clans, etc.) As for the story, I hope it focuses on new characters, or at the very least, tell a story with Joel and Ellie in a very different way.

LuuKyK

There is also a podcast they did about this insider info. Listening to it at the moment to see if there is something else they said about this info.

Edit: lol, it was pretty short. Nothing new. Just confirming they got insider info about the game being in production at ND.

DieH@rd

Banned
NO NO NO NO NO.

Please no. One was perfect.

...in setting up characters for a sequel. Sure this was a great story, but to say that they can not continue telling new stories is crazy. Characters grew from beginning to the end of the game, but their lives are not finished. We can now explore them as totally different people who will again evolve into something else.

Ellie can actively hate Joel now for example. Fireflies are not gonna give up on finding her, especially after Joel did what he did. Sequel can be focused on storyline about protection of that town, mass loss of innocent lives that will will see first hand, and the way those losses can change people (maybe even force Ellie to run away towards Fireflies).

Possibilities are endless.

Rumors will be rumors until confirmed of course. No problem at all with this. I have faith that if Neil wants to make another The Last of Us title, then that is the game they want to make and will make it great.

Would I like a brand new IP? Sure, but I think they could do a lot with the TLOU universe.

Nafai1123

Banned
I don't get why people absolutely INSIST there's no way Uncharted could be this year. They have two complete teams and whatever the Uncharted teams learns developing on PS4 will be shared. It's not hard to believe.

That said, I'm hoping it's not 2 Fast 2 Last.

I'm OK with this as long as it is not a direct sequel.

Picking up right where TLOU left off would ruin its, in my opinion, pitch perfect ending.

In fact I would prefer any sequel to be a completely separate story not involving any of the characters from TLOU.

ND are big enough that I could see them getting a Ps4 game out every year, especially since it's apparently so much easier and faster to develop for.

UC4 in Fall 2014, Last of Us Sequel Fall 2015, New IP Fall 2016

How can people actually doubt ND of all studios? It's clear they have the freedom to do what they want so if they do a sequel they probably have a good idea of it

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
On the name train

Prequel: The First of Them
Sequel: The End of Us (
good double meaning with the TLoU ending too.

S¡mon

Banned
Uncharted 4 and TLoU 2 in the same year? Yeah... no.

I want Druckmann and Straley to work on a new IP.

Who says the same year? Who knows... Uncharted 4 might be (almost) finished by now and it's just sitting somewhere on a shelve for a surprise announcement at E3 "Uncharted 4 is coming out this holiday season!"
Who knows, who knows...

Top Bottom