• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's heavily hinting that the amount has changed. I'm saying 2.0GB at least and if nintendo has been buddying up with third parties, perhaps even more.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Production value would certainly be nice, but that's not the issue, it has to do with the way the world is structured.

I'm not going to argue further about someone's opinion on what Zelda should be like, but I think that the linearity that some see in the series would be far less obvious and more forgivable if PV got a bump. If that's not what he meant, cool. I personally think Zelda would be just fine continuing in it's basic world structure.

I think an unfortunate danger of such an action would that it would clearly be seen as such a "me too" move and could in fact endanger the series. There's something to be said for stasis, which is why Super Mario has survived, as it hasn't bastardized itself to shamelessly appeal to a new demographic, like his one time rival Sonic. If you want a clearcut dichotomy between the two, when Mario had a spinoff series in the form of Luigi's Mansion, Luigi enters a cartoon haunted mansion to suck up cartoon haunted ghosts with a vacuum cleaner. When Sonic had a spinoff series (well, game) in Shadow the Hedgehog, "Sonic" rolled in whips and popped caps into domes with gats.

If Super Mario had done similar and stuck with, say, the gritty realism of the film version, then we may not even have Super Mario to discuss.

That's why I'm not crazy about the prospect of a Retro-developed Zelda, as much as I would want to trust them.

guek

Banned
He's heavily hinting that the amount has changed. I'm saying 2.0GB at least and if nintendo has been buddying up with third parties, perhaps even more.

That would require a split pool of ram. I don't see nintendo giving this thing 2GB of ram, let alone more than that. I'm still expecting only 1GB to be accessible by devs.

has anyone played wind waker?

Yep, the worst 3D Zelda( haven't played MM, so that might be worse but I doubt it).

Personally I think if you want to solve the main issue with Zelda games post LttP(pacing) the obvious solution is to make the games more linear(in a similar way to Portal or PoP:SoT), it plays to the main strength the current team has(Dungeon/Puzzle design) without "wasting" the players time.

Anth0ny

lol dat heatt.

First dude: I'm not trolling, mostly, sort of. I am but only because there is a truth to it.

Second dude (elequent) and Third dude (Alberto): I am speaking strictly on presentation. The way the game is presented to the player, the way the dungeons are presented to players, the way the overworld is presented, the way EVERYTHING in the game is presented to the player I think the edge belongs to Dark Souls.

To me Dark Souls is almost how I want Zelda to be. I say almost because I still want Zelda to remain Zelda, that goes to what elequent was saying, I still want clever puzzles, and all that other zelda charm that goes along with being a zelda game. I never want/expect that to go away. But man, having a Zelda game with all the zelda charms, in a world like dark souls (and no I don't mean dark and difficult), I mean a very large world that is filled with things for Link to discover whether it's weapons, more hearts, or whatever else, loads of hidden bosses or little mini bosses sprinkled throughout, seamless travel between different areas, dungeons being more incorporated with the overall world of the game. Make me feel like Link is on an adventure/journey. Obviously I don't expect no handholding whatsoever, but less is the start of many things they could do better.

I find it hard to believe that anyone here can argue that the way Zelda is presented to the player can't be better. It can be a LOT better.

Some of you assume I mean to make zelda some dark ass fucking difficult ass loot filled extravaganza of a game, but I'm not, I strictly mean presentation. That idea of beginning > dungeon to dungeon to dungeon > end of game.

not mine one bit

That's exactly how I feel about the situation. It seems like everyone flips their shit whenever someone suggests "Zelda can learn something from Dark Souls". As if Zelda is the fucking pinnacle of gaming and can't be improved on.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
dungeons in dark souls are pretty nuts. Minus the framrate in some areas lulolol.

There is a way to have both. Just need to put in the work. Now nintendo has the power and disk space to go wild.

The dungeons are good, indeed, however in comparison to most of the SS dungeons the level design left a lot to be desired. furthermore, I don't even believe that SS had the best dungeons in the series. Take what you will from that.

That would require a split pool of ram. I don't see nintendo giving this thing 2GB of ram, let alone more than that. I'm still expecting only 1GB to be accessible by devs.

That's not what developers have been asking for especially not the ones that have been courting nintendo (Epic) and the ones that nintendo have been courting (Crytex). 1GB would not be enough.

Edit: This thing needs to be able to take on four consoles. The PS3/360 race is over and already won. Ninty needs to be looking at the 720 and ps4. And if they are really trying to get back the core, the system needs to capable of receiving games that the core like to play. Why would I play a stripped down version of something? WiiU games needs to be on par similarly to the PS2 version of RE4.

Nice. I'm expecting more. At least 2.0GB. What else were you on point about?

Edit: From last June? Jesus. That must mean that Nintendo really has been listening to developers. BG. Be straight up. Any hope for UE4?

Does anybody have a link to the technical discussion a thread or two back about why exactly greater than 2GB unified memory is not possible (without massive sacrifices) given current technological limitations? I recall it was something like "On a board, you can run up to eight chips, and the upper limit for the chips is currently 256MB", but I'd like clarification here from the techies. :)

10UB confirmed.

Ten UBI-bytes? Wow, that's almost as good as a Nintendo Gigabyte!

Anth0ny

Yep, the worst 3D Zelda( haven't played MM, so that might be worse but I doubt it).

Personally I think if you want to solve the main issue with Zelda games post LttP(pacing) the obvious solution is to make the games more linear(in a similar way to Portal or PoP:SoT), it plays to the main strength the current team has(Dungeon/Puzzle design) without "wasting" the players time.

MORE
LINEAR?

Christ.

BurntPork

Banned
I'm more thinking that it was always 1.5GB and still is, but since it was in the target specs it probably doesn't include the OS reserved RAM, so 2GB total.

I'm thinking that PS4 will have 2GB for games while XB3 has 4GB. Scaling between the three would not be all that hard in this case.

guek

Banned
That's not what developers have been asking for especially not the ones that have been courting nintendo (Epic) and the ones that nintendo have been courting (Crytex). 1GB would not be enough.

Edit: This thing needs to be able to take on four consoles. The PS3/360 race is over and already won. Ninty needs to be looking at the 720 and ps4. And if they are really trying to get back the core, the system needs to capable of receiving games that the core like to play. Why would I play a stripped down version of something? WiiU games needs to be on par similarly to the PS2 version of RE4.

Oh, I know 3rd parties want much more. I'm just saying I'm not expecting any more than 1GB. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's 1.5 or 2.0 but I just don't think it's likely. Not likely, but not impossible either.

I still don't understand how they let the game be released with such a terrible main "gimmick"(the terrible way in which you change wind, & sailing in general), it is the main reason it is the only Zelda game I have started & not finished (& given what I have heard about the end of the game I doubt I will ever be bored enough to do so).

That's exactly how I feel about the situation. It seems like everyone flips their shit whenever someone suggests "Zelda can learn something from Dark Souls". As if Zelda is the fucking pinnacle of gaming and can't be improved on.

I don't think anybody thinks that Zelda can't be improved(in fact pretty much every Zelda fan can give you a list of things that need improving), just that Dark Souls is not a particularly good fit for Zelda(unless you are harking back to Zelda 1).

MORE LINEAR?

I play Zelda games for the dungeons & the crazy characters, making the game more linear would not interfere with that(it would also solve a lot of the problems with the pacing), please explain how the pacing would be improved by being like DS?

Instro

With regards to the Zelda discussion, I think the biggest thing plaguing the series is presentation and hand-holding. Particularly with the latter, you have people talking about how there's no sense of discovery and so on, but making the game open world or designing it like Darks Souls would be for naught if you have a partner who tells you what to do and where to go constantly.

I mean you look at the dungeons in Skyward Sword and it is some of the best level design you will ever find in gaming, yet its crippled by certain elements that keep the series feeling a bit archaic. The Zelda team clearly has the skill to do amazing things but I think they are being held back for whatever reason.

Anth0ny

Linearity isn't necessarily a negative quality, and he said with the current team. I'd rather have a high polish, "linear" Zelda than another attempt like TP and SS to some extent.

but that was skyward sword

You literally can't enter the next area until you finish a dungeon and the giant ray of light appears for you to drop into

You don't fix the pacing by making it more linear. You do it by cutting 80% of the useless fucking dialogue, tutorials, partner characters and cutscenes the game forces onto you.

Redford

aka Cabbie

You literally can't enter the next area until you finish a dungeon and the giant ray of light appears for you to drop into

You don't fix the pacing by making it more linear. You do it by cutting 80% of the useless fucking dialogue, tutorials, partner characters and cutscenes the game forces onto you.

Well, I was sort of thinking "fix useless bullshit" when I typed polish, so you're right. I'm just saying, like Cerebral, that the game should set out to be the best damn linear game there is, if that's the way it has to be. And not attempt to throw in half-hearted open-world exploration if the team doesn't have the capacity to do it properly.

Yes, this is the fat that needs to be trimmed, not the exploration.

These Zelda arguments are useless. It's always Zelda 1 fans vs 3D Zelda fans vs random weird person...

There's no need to be put into categories like that. I'm a fan of the series as a whole, but I think it could certainly be improved.

guek

Banned
Linearity isn't necessarily a negative quality, and he said with the current team. I'd rather have a high polish, "linear" Zelda than another attempt like TP and SS to some extent.

I don't think there was anything wrong with SS other than it needed MORE content. There should have been at least one other major sky town, more side quests, the ability to fly at night, areas connecting each ground segment, probably at least 1 more ground area with another dungeon (cut out one of the fights with the forsaken and one of the sacred realms at the same time). More things to explore, because as a whole SS feels claustrophobic.

But I'm one of the few people who found just about everything that was actually in the game to be enjoyable (with the exception of fi and the constant alerts). I didn't even mind the tadtones!

But I definitely don't want another repeat of SS exactly in the next zelda. I think SS was a fantastic experiment in game design. I think they should take the lessons they learned in making such a radically different zelda and incorporate them into a much more traditionally designed zelda such as TP.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member

Actually you can, but it's a bit tricky and even if you get to a certain area (Lake Floria in my example) ahead of what is intended it's very difficult, though possible, to progress into a temple or other important story area.

I noticed that if you enter Lake Floria before you obtain the Water Dragon's Scale, the usual scripts for the Parella named Jellyf do not trigger. You can with a lot of devotion dive without that scale but you usually get stuck and have to rest the game.

Deguello

Weren't there several dungeons in the NES that you couldn't enter until you had, say, the raft. Or the hammer in the case of Zelda II? I'm not understanding the difference.

HylianTom

Banned
I can see a scenario where the PS4 has 3GB RAM, the 720 has 4GB, and third parties begin the whole, "sorry, uhh.. our game requires at least 3GB RAM" routine..

Does anybody have a link to the technical discussion a thread or two back about why exactly greater than 2GB unified memory is not possible (without massive sacrifices) given current technological limitations? I recall it was something like "On a board, you can run up to eight chips, and the upper limit for the chips is currently 256MB", but I'd like clarification here from the techies. :)

I think I was involved in that one, and it motivated me to do a bit more research regarding DDR3 bandwidth, since I was embarrassingly wrong w/ my calculations. For cost reasons, DDR3 seemed like a decent bet at the time (and still does, especially w/ Elpida's bankruptcy predicted to drive up DRAM prices).

I don't believe it was established that greater than 2 GB unified was impossible. For cost reasons, it seems unlikely.

The issue was the number of DDR3 chips it would take to achieve a decent bandwidth. To simplify things a great deal, each RAM chip has an interface of 4-bit, 8-bit, 16-bit, etc. Up until recently (or perhaps it is still the case), the only DDR3 available topped out at 2Gb (256 MB) and had a 16-bit interface. This would mean that a whopping 8 chips would be needed if they wanted 2GB of DDR3 RAM w/ bandwidth that was comparable to the 360.

I've done a little hunting, though, and it seems like Micron, at least, is currently sampling 32-bit DDR3 chips with a 4Gb (512 MB) density. That would allow Nintendo to use only 4 chips, but would still leave the bandwidth comparable to the 360. It's speculated that this issue could potentially be alleviated by the large L2 cache and eDRAM on the GPU, but I have yet to read anything which goes into detail explaining how.

http://www.micron.com/products/dram/ddr3-sdram/1-35v-ddr3-part-catalog

I can see a scenario where the PS4 has 3GB RAM, the 720 has 4GB, and third parties begin the whole, "sorry, uhh.. our game requires at least 3GB RAM" routine..

MS will obviously give them whatever they want but after the "Fight of their lives" NY Times article, Sony better think twice this time if they have an ounce of common sense any more.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I think you're reading too much into his comment. He may not know how much it has now.

I have a feeling that at least Microsoft is going for Hybrid Memory Cube (HMC). In which case, it will blow everything else out of the water.

StevieP

Banned

Cheers, blu!

Well going above 2GB with GDDR5 would be difficult/costly/etc due to memory densities on current chips. However, GDDR3 wouldn't factor into that conundrum.

Fourth Storm said:
I have a feeling that at least Microsoft is going for Hybrid Memory Cube (HMC). In which case, it will blow everything else out of the water.

Hybrid_Memory_Cube.jpg

Microsoft and complicated motherboards.... ech.

Yes, this is the fat that needs to be trimmed, not the exploration.

Unless they radically change the way Zelda plays that isn't a realistic goal, Nintendo want more people to play, not less (admittedly they aren't doing a great job in getting people to buy the game, but it makes a good 1st Zelda game). TP had "exploration" but that game only shone in dungeons.

Well, I was sort of thinking "fix useless bullshit" when I typed polish, so you're right. I'm just saying, like Cerebral, that the game should set out to be the best damn linear game there is, if that's the way it has to be. And not attempt to throw in half-hearted open-world exploration if the team doesn't have the capacity to do it properly.

SS was never intended to be "just" a open world game, you were meant to come back to each area & discover new things( & they were fairly successful imo, a couple more areas & the game would have felt packed with content rather than the feeling that too much was recycled).

But I'm one of the few people who found just about everything that was actually in the game to be enjoyable (with the exception of fi and the constant alerts). I didn't even mind the tadtones!

But I definitely don't want another repeat of SS exactly in the next zelda. I think SS was a fantastic experiment in game design. I think they should take the lessons they learned in making such a radically different zelda and incorporate them into a much more traditionally designed zelda such as TP.

Am I the only one who thinks (some of) Fi & her comments were deliberately designed to be annoying(as a theme through the whole game is the lack of respect shown towards Link)? The one about "there may be something important behind this door with a giant lock on it" had t have been taking the piss. As for the Tadtones, collecting them was fine, the conversation justifying why you had to do that was foolish.

It's interesting that you think that SS was a radical departure, it seemed to me that they were perhaps not radical enough.

Instro

And don't forget that >512 MB reserved for OS functions. Less RAM than 360 confirmed.

While I realize your joking, it seems like people often get caught up in counting the supposed amount reserved for OS functions. The OS will be iterated on and optimized before and after the console releases, I don't think there is much point to taking it into consideration when we talk about the RAM amount.

Redford

aka Cabbie
SS was never intended to be "just" a open world game, you were meant to come back to each area & discover new things( & they were fairly successful imo, a couple more areas & the game would have felt packed with content rather than the feeling that too much was recycled).

Not saying that it was intended to be, just referring to all future games by Aunoma's team.

Ugh, nothing like a Zelda dispute to drain your argumentation craving.

wGEMe.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
As fellow WiiU thread poster, I don't see why he would tease otherwise.

I guess I just didn't take it as a "tease." All he was saying is that it could have changed since June/July. Perhaps that is the last time he had heard anything?

StevieP

Banned
GDDR3 topped out at 1Gbit density. Graphics card makers moved onto DDR3/GDDR4/5, so there wasn't any need for >1Gbit.

DDR3 is a different story.

What I mean is that I believe Nintendo is using GDDR3 in the Wii U. I could be wrong, but I don't think we'll see DDR3 or GDDR5 unless there is some split thing going on. I obviously do not share the optimism that they'll go 2GB or up, but I've been wrong before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom