• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Orville |OT| MacFarlane's sci-fi com-, wait it's a drama!? That can't be right

chekhonte

I tolerate the aspects I don't like because it reminds me of a different era of storytelling, one that I miss. But I wouldn't ever claim it's a particularly great show.

That's a good way of saying it and what I feel. I'm hoping that it's able to hit its stride in time and become a better show.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
If you like TNG and Seths humour and acting then you'll probably enjoy it. Still feels a bit hollow for me.

If you don't want dick jokes in your Trek then its another matter.

Liking Trek should be sufficient. I don't find Seth's humour all too great, but I am really enjoying Orville a lot. I feel they do a much better job at defining their characters and the episodes are a lot more Star Trek than anything Discovery had so far. There is only a small amount of action, but a lot of discussion and some interesting moral problems at display. The crew does not enforce its stance, even if something goes against their will and overall this really feels like Star Trek with the odd hit-or-miss joke.

Parch

Show kind of sucks as a comedy but its a surprisingly decent Star Trek parody.

Its weird.
Parody is comedy but it's hard to label this as a comedy.
It is weird. It's like they've come up with a new category. Sci-Fi sorta comedy. It's kinda like how Z Nation is Zombie sorta comedy. Classic formats with a subtle humorous tone.

yukonrye

I was bored and watched the first episode expecting the worst.

I kept watching through episode 6. It's my new favorite show.

Show kind of sucks as a comedy but its a surprisingly decent Star Trek parody.

Its weird.
Yeah. It's amazing how straight they play it. I was expecting more rapid-fire jokes like Family Guy.

I liked it so much that I started watching TNG again after I ran out of episodes.

MC Safety

I like The Orville, but this latest episode was garbage.

It's meant to be social commentary, but the characters act so remarkably dumb it's hard to take them -- or the message -- in any meaningful way. It steals from a stupid Star Trek episode (the one where Wesley is chosen to visit a planet, does something totally Wesleyian, and is sentenced to death) and goes downhill from there.

Watching this episode, it's hard to determine who's acting against the ship's interest more: the pilot with no impulse control and no inclination to follow orders or the captain who sends the pilot on a scouting mission in the first place.

Pilgrimzero

I like The Orville, but this latest episode was garbage.

It's meant to be social commentary, but the characters act so remarkably dumb it's hard to take them -- or the message -- in any meaningful way. It steals from a stupid Star Trek episode (the one where Wesley is chosen to visit a planet, does something totally Wesleyian, and is sentenced to death) and goes downhill from there.

Watching this episode, it's hard to determine who's acting against the ship's interest more: the pilot with no impulse control and no inclination to follow orders or the captain who sends the pilot on a scouting mission in the first place.

It’s a comedy, of course stupid stuff will happen.

And from Kirk on up, the bridge people always went on the missions when they had 40 red shirts ready to die for them instead. The show would be boring if the main characters acted like real military and just delegated missions to subordinates instead of doing it themselves.

MC Safety

It’s a comedy, of course stupid stuff will happen.

And from Kirk on up, the bridge people always went on the missions when they had 40 red shirts ready to die for them instead. The show would be boring if the main characters acted like real military and just delegated missions to subordinates instead of doing it themselves.

Comedy doesn't have to be stupid people acting dumb.

By the way, Star Trek pulled off the same episode and played it totally straight.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The scene were folks were feeding the Klingon guy things to eat was one of the best scenes of "Trek" I've seen in years. Very funny and organically so, that's something I could easily see happen on a ship full of aliens. More of that humor, please.

And now I hope the pilot gets dismembered on a regular basis since we've established it is a trivial flesh wound.

I liked the latest episode well enough-- and probably was was inspired by the episode of Black Mirror with the similar concept of social networking 'likes' being integrated to real life. But you know what, even though this show is average and the show shifts from great moments to meh moments quickly, I still like it a lot and eagerly await the new episode. Somehow, it's greater than the sum of its parts and I hope Seth MacFarlane subverts the show into a full TNG structured show without the FG jokes. I doubt that happens, but the show can be funny in a TNG way as demonstrated by feeding Bortus random things which has been mentioned here already-- I could see a similar scene with Data playing out, really.

Also, by the way my new go to line whenever I need to storm out of a room will be
You all can eat ass and I'm a space man

RPS37

It may have been a Black Mirror ripoff, but I thought it was really good actually. I feel like this show has turned around tons from the first couple episodes.

It may have been a Black Mirror ripoff, but I thought it was really good actually. I feel like this show has turned around tons from the first couple episodes.
The teaser for the next episode has me intrigued and I really like that the show is making sure all the characters get their own episodes. Next week is about
Dr Finn

prag16

Banned
Favorite new show this year.

Lots of TNG vibes (in an alternate universe where almost all of them don't act like tight asses all the time and actually joke around).

This is more Star Trek to me than Star Trek Beyond (watched first two and couldn't continue) and keeps getting better and better imo after a couple slightly rougher episodes early on.

hoos30

Parody is comedy but it's hard to label this as a comedy.
It is weird. It's like they've come up with a new category. Sci-Fi sorta comedy. It's kinda like how Z Nation is Zombie sorta comedy. Classic formats with a subtle humorous tone.
It is a new category: How to copy a show as closely as possible without getting sued. I think half of The Orville's viewers are CBS' legal team.

does the name "orville" have some meaning in science/sci-fi that im missing? bit of an odd name otherwise.

I was wondering about that too, until I noticed the little aircraft model on the Captain's desk in episode 2 or 3. Then it suddenly clicked: "Ooooh right, it's from Orville Wright".

I guess there will be a sister ship "The Wilbur" at some point in the show.

jadedm17

This show is fantastic.

It's comments like the one in this thread that make me thankful I'm not as bitter and jaded as I think I am, and I can enjoy shows for what they are rather than what they are not.

Cheesy, over the top, "fan wank", or whatever, the characters are great, plots are fun, music is solid and the world they've built is more in-depth than I expected. This show is a lot of fun IMHO.

tumblr_mukrenK2LQ1szeb3uo8_r1_250.gif

jadedm17

I liked the latest episode well enough-- and probably was was inspired by the episode of Black Mirror with the similar concept of social networking 'likes' being integrated to real life. But you know what, even though this show is average and the show shifts from great moments to meh moments quickly, I still like it a lot and eagerly await the new episode. Somehow, it's greater than the sum of its parts and I hope Seth MacFarlane subverts the show into a full TNG structured show without the FG jokes. I doubt that happens, but the show can be funny in a TNG way as demonstrated by feeding Bortus random things which has been mentioned here already-- I could see a similar scene with Data playing out, really.

Also, by the way my new go to line whenever I need to storm out of a room will be
You all can eat ass and I'm a space man

Community had an episode called Meow Meow Beans before Black Mirror where everyone had a 1-5 ranking and in the over-the-top nature of the show split their college into social chaos.

Community is also on Hulu btw; Best pilot ever. Watch it. Season two is when insanity kicks into gear.

I'm also down for a seven season run to see where The Orville goes from here.

Community had an episode called Meow Meow Beans before Black Mirror where everyone had a 1-5 ranking and in the over-the-top nature of the show split their college into social chaos.

Community is also on Hulu btw; Best pilot ever. Watch it. Season two is when insanity kicks into gear.

I'm also down for a seven season run to see where The Orville goes from here.
You're right! I forgot all about that episode. I've seen Community and it's fantastic.

I really, really liked this last episode. They just about resisted the out of place jokes entirely-- Isaac was perfect for the humor in this episode

Bamelin1

Banned
You're right! I forgot all about that episode. I've seen Community and it's fantastic.

I really, really liked this last episode. They just about resisted the out of place jokes entirely-- Isaac was perfect for the humor in this episode

Last episode was a perfect blend of Trek lost on strange planet with Trek artificial lifeform learns about humanity.

Ubername

Banned
last episode was eh, I don't like kids :/

Yeah it's kinda like when South Park does a Mr. Hankey episode. Turned it off immediately. Then turned back on b/c I realized I shouldn't do snap judgments like that, then was subsequently vindicated when the episode was a pooper
(pooper as in boring episode not mr. hankey)

Lokimaru

I was wondering about that too, until I noticed the little aircraft model on the Captain's desk in episode 2 or 3. Then it suddenly clicked: "Ooooh right, it's from Orville Wright".

I guess there will be a sister ship "The Wilbur" at some point in the show.

Well if they do have "The Wilbur" it should be Captained by Mercer's Arch Nemesis from his Academy days played with maximum smug dick factor by ether H. Jon Benjamin or Patrick Warburton.

Blam

That last episode was my first time seeing The Orville, and it's much better then I thought it would be,

Top Bottom