• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix’s Stephen King Adaptation 1922 Trailer

-griffy-

Banned
This is apparently the year of Stephen King adaptations.

I seriously have trouble comprehending how it's actually possible for Netflix to produce so much content.

That’s Thomas Jane?? Took me half the trailer to realize. Jesus, what a performance.

Well, he already starred in the best Stephen King adaption. Let’s hope he’s this film’s good luck charm.

Fury451

Banned
So how is the book? Is it good/bad/mediocre?

It's a short story from Full Dark, No Stars. It's decent, I wouldn't say it's anything mind blowing as far as his best work goes , but done right it can be an interesting thriller/character piece.

SexyFish

Banned
That's Thomas Jane?? Took me half the trailer to realize. Jesus, what a performance.

Well, he already starred in the best Stephen King adaption. Let's hope he's this film's good luck charm.

I mean, I love the Mist but it is nowhere near the best adaptation.

Loved this short story though, hope it is good.

What is it? 1922? Havnt heard of it. Is it recent

Part of "Full Dark, No Stars", an anthology released in 2010.

woolley

I wish the trailer wouldn't have shown so much. Or hopefully there's more to the story than what they've shown.

Fury451

Banned
I wish the trailer wouldn't have shown so much. Or hopefully there's more to the story than what they've shown.

Well, what was shown isn't necessarily the point of the story. It's sort of a weird one to adapt though, it's fairly straightforward all things considered.

This is apparently the year of Stephen King adaptations.

I seriously have trouble comprehending how it's actually possible for Netflix to produce so much content.
They also buy content that's already produced.
I feel like his dialog doesn't work well when adapted directly and actors have to say it out loud, yet so many do just that. It feels so awkward to me.
I can't believe that anyone from Maine actually talks or thinks like Stephen King writes them.

Boem

I'm all in for this Stephen King overload. Some of them will be bad (see: Under the Dome, Dark Tower), but given that they're throwing a million things at the screen, there are always a couple that are going to be good (see: It, 11/23/63, the classics).

There's nothing quite like a good Stephen King adaption. Like a warm sweater and a cup of cocoa during a winter night.

Don't know this particular story, but it looks interesting enough to give it a shot.

I'm all in for this Stephen King overload. Some of them will be bad (see: Under the Dome, Dark Tower), but given that they're throwing a million things at the screen, there are always a couple that are going to be good (see: It, 11/23/63, the classics).

There's nothing quite like a good Stephen King adaption. Like a warm sweater and a cup of cocoa during a winter night.

Don't know this particular story, but it looks interesting enough to give it a shot.

Under the dome was a guilty pleasure of mine. Ill watch dean Norris in anything and he had a lot of screen time.

eso76

11/23/63 was/is good?
Is it over or still going ?

And I don't remember 1922, but I am sure I read that anthology.

Boem

11/23/63 was/is good?

Yeah it's over. Miniseries, 8 episodes. I really enjoyed it, worth a watch if you're into King. They captured that particular vibe you get from the better Stephen King books pretty well I thought.

hydruxo

11/23/63 was/is good?

And I don't remember 1922, but I am sure I read that anthology.

11/22/63 was great. It was a miniseries, but definitely worth a watch. James Franco was really good in the lead role IMO.

eso76

Thanks for the replies, will watch !

Also read the synopsis for 1922, yeah I remember that now kinda.

Mike Patton did the soundtrack so it is definitely worth a look in my book. Trailer looks good. Don't remember the story it's based off, think one of his later collections (Stephen King burned me with that last Dark Tower book so his newer stuff I am hesitant to dive into, Dr. Sleep was a page turner that turned into a nothing..so). Here's hoping it's good -- it's on Netflix so I don't have much to lose...

the sound design on the trailer with the rattling cans (sounds like it) is fine AF.

trailer looks great if it does give most of the movie away.

sigh.

learn to cut better fuckers.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just finished it.

Having just read the novella shortly before the movie came out, I was pretty happy with how the adaptation handled everything. Stayed extremely faithful to the book, with only a couple of small, fairly inconsequential omissions, save for one larger one concerning the ending:

In the book, the epilogue implies that Wilfred actually went insane and literally bit himself to death, while the movie leaves it ambiguous as to whether or not he was actually killed by the ghosts of Arlette, Henry, and Shannon. And actually, if you view the whole story as "none of the supernatural stuff is real and all a figment of Wilfred's guilt-addled imagination", then the movie doesn't actually imply that Wilfred died at all, in sharp contrast to the book in which outright states that he does.

Still, this isn't really an issue for me, I like both the book and the movie's endings.

Overall, absolutely a great movie, and worth checking out.

Top Bottom