• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't believe I'm saying this..I miss Bush. He just owned Trump.

Great speech by him was just on CNN. He spoke out about nationalism, Russia, white supremacy and more. As terrible a president he was, he is still 1000x more of a President than Trump any day. We need more of this. Especially from past Republican presidents.

On CNN now, no link to full speech yet.

Jackpot

Banned
Whilst I firmly believe Trump is capable of the same and worse, he has yet to knowingly lead the US into a war on false pretences, kill hundreds of thousands, and start up a torture program.

Bush was a terrible president and by all metrics is still a worse one than Trump, you just can't upsurp him as the worst president in such a short amount of time.

Bush the man and how you feel about his humanity is irrelevant towards his policy work and Trump's Trumpness.

Steel

Banned
Whilst I firmly believe Trump is capable of the same and worse, he has yet to knowingly lead the US into a war on false pretences, kill hundreds of thousands, and start up a torture program.

Give it time. He's expressed more interest in doing all of those than Bush ever did.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Reminder that Bush started an illegal war on a lie that has killed hundreds of thousands of people

This exact talking point is why leftists hate liberals

Miss me with your discourse, your conceptions of America being shattered by trump's election. Bush is a fucking war criminal.

I think Trump would use a nuke if 911 happened on his watch. So definitely worse than Bush. Bush was terrible but under the same circumstances, Trump would be much worse.

BriGuy

He was a disaster of a president, but I attribute that to incompetence more than active malice. I never really doubted that he was essentially a good person; he just wasn't someone who should be in a position to create policy.

I don't miss the incompetent war criminal, his presidency help cause the damage of the great recession. This sort of short sighted nostalgia is why we get people like Trump/Tea Party in power. The bar to make Trump look bad is very, very low.

If ignorant bigots listen to him, good but yeah Trump still doesn't compare to W in terms of sheer damage done to the world. Still have seven and half years to go though so he's in line to "surpass" the guy...

Reminder that Bush started an illegal war on a lie that has killed hundreds of thousands of people

Miss me with your discourse, your conceptions of America being shattered by trump's election. Bush is a fucking war criminal.

100% this.

You miss a small measure of competency. Not bush. Bush is a horrible human being.

Eh. Maybe he means well but his actions as president spoke for themselves.
He was hated for a reason. I hope there won't come a day in my lifetime where I'll read the words "I miss Trump. He just owned [insert evil Republican fuckwad #196 here]." But I probably will.

Slayven

I am just glad Bannon is stupider than Karl Rove, Rove and his crew are what Bannon, Miller, Gorka, etc wish they were

eot

Banned
This is the guy who started the Iraq war, who signed off on the patriot act, Guantanamo bay and more

Fuck Bush

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

trump is about 20% of the way through disassembling the last 8 years of progress. War sucks and all of that, but the ENTIRE REST OF MY LIFE is in the process of being affected. Everything trump is undoing now is going to take a minimum of 20 years to fix.

bush being awful doesn't make trump not more awful.

No one is saying he was great but he wasn't straight up evil and malicious. He didn't brag about molesting women, abuse victims of war and disasters, praise Nazis, or collude with an enemy. He was shit but his level of shit almost feels tolerable compared to Trump.

Jackpot

Banned
People really seem to forget what it was like with the daily corruption and anti-science stories that came during the Bush presidency, not to mention the revisionist BS of "Bush was a good guy protecting us from Cheney".

He was a really president but a much better person than Trump could ever be.

He mocked a woman on death row pleading her life to him. He's just as incapable of cruelty and lacking empathy.

bush was a terrible president, but he had the charisma to make him likeable

trump of which has none of

a bag of dog shit would be a better president than the current dumbass occupying the oval office

No one is saying he was great but he wasn't straight up evil and malicious. He didn't brag about molesting women, abuse victims of war and disasters, praise Nazis, or collude with an enemy. He was shit but his level of shit almost feels tolerable compared to Trump.

No, he just outright killed people and destabilized a whole region instead.

Give it time. We're only in his first year, God help us if we get a 2nd term of this.

mlclmtckr

Banned

Yes, he killed actual human beings for reasons he knew were bullshit. That is actually worse than doing things that make you mad on social media.

borghe

Trump sucks, but he hasn't pushed us in two wars and had a huge recession yet.

one war effectively, and the recession wasn't entirely bush's fault... Clinton has responsibility for some of the earliest beginnings of it.

Yes, he killed actual human beings for reasons he knew were bullshit. That is actually worse than doing things that make you mad on social media.

lol. do you live in the US? No, we are way more fucked than "making us mad on social media." trump's actions are leading to human beings actually dying, and his reasons are $$$.

The Bush presidency laid a lot of the groundwork for the situation we find ourselves in. Dubya being a better and more dignified person than Trump (in relative terms) does not excuse the missteps, misdeeds and outright failures of his presidency.

Scuffed

Too many illegal wars and the destabilization of the middle east that has resulted in millions of deaths. Trump is atrocious but he's got nothing on Bush imo. Bush is just a better politician.

eot

Banned

I think you're confusing public persona with concrete actions. Which is a big problem in general right now.

Imagine 10 years from now thinking that Trump was not THAT bad. It’s hard to envision, but I guess anything is possible if we think of Bush this way now...

borghe

Only if you lack any type of perspective. Bush killed thousands, Trump hasn't. Until he does, it's no contest.

umm.. he is desperately working at killing ACA and environmental responsibility. try again. you don't think those actions will kill even more?

Top Bottom