• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization: Beyond Earth announced, Fall 2014, PC [Trailer, Details]

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
cc: adam boyes & shahid put this game on my system
At the very least, a port would mean they've put enough effort to make it run on something like a ULV laptop or tablet.

I would play the living heck out of Civ 5 on my Vaio Duo 13 of it ran perfectly and... was on Gog.

Durante

At the very least, a port would mean they've put enough effort to make it run on something like a ULV laptop or tablet.

I would play the living heck out of Civ 5 on my Vaio Duo 13 of it ran well and... was on Gog.
I have a Duo 13 and do play Civ V on it from time to time.

Pooya

Hope Intel pays them money to make it ultrabook/touchscreen compatible at launch, playing Civ5 laid back was very enjoyable.

Rome II recently got a similar update, so it's probably still on their agenda. (no idea how well that bloated game runs on ULV processors though....)

Dire

I do not think technical issues are what keeps these games from consoles. Interface is one...but mostly it is the audience. I suspect publishers believe that that this audience, such as it is, is on PC. Not worth the effort to bring to consoles unless they change/dumb it down.

Yip.. and it's a self fulfilling bias. I love strategy, sim, etc type games and I am/was primarily a console gamer. Last gen there what like 3 of those sort of games released? So I'm likely skipping this gen of consoles since it looks like more of the same derivative action/shooters mush. Publish games with the assumption that the only audience that exists is for shooters and action games and soon enough it'll certainly become true!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I have a Duo 13 and do play Civ V on it from time to time.
Does it chug a lot? I guess the Gog thing is the only factor holding me back if turns don't stutter a lot. People mentioned AoW earlier as an alternative 4x fix but the user reviews are scaring me off.

KingK

Oh my god I need this. I've got almost 800 hours logged between Civ IV and Civ V.

I don't think my laptop will run it though. It already is barely able to run Civ V on low settings.

Dr Dogg

Hope Intel pays them money to make it ultrabook/touchscreen compatible at launch, playing Civ5 laid back was very enjoyable.

Rome II recently got a similar update, so it's probably still on their agenda. (no idea how well that bloated game runs on ULV processors though....)

I 'liberated' a Wacom Cintiq from work for a few months and playing Civ on a touchscreen is something else. This was before there was support (and wouldn't matter due to being on Win 7 anyway) so there's always workarounds.

zulfate

Playing with a controller would be a giant pain in the ass

stop port begging

this is getting to be as bad as a WiiU game announcement thread

sorry i wasn't trying to port beg just that i have a friend who fucking loves civ rev and doesnt have a pc.....and no i still think its completely possible to port it.

i fucking hope the engine has been optimised this time around, no need to see such fucking slow attack animations!

that being said i cant wait to sink my life into this.

sorry i wasn't trying to port beg just that i have a friend who fucking loves civ rev and doesnt have a pc.....and no i still think its completely possible to port it.

i fucking hope the engine has been optimised this time around, no need to see such fucking slow attack animations!

that being said i cant wait to sink my life into this.
Has your friend tried... buying a pc?

If they can't scale it down to low end PCs why would they be able to make it scale down to an iPad? :p

If they did (it'd be cool to give it a go, an on-the-go proper Civilization game would be epic) then I suspect it'd be not really the same game.

Xcom is significantly reduced in scope in comparison to Civ regarding processing of turns.

Civ would actually be a pretty appropriate game for mobile, the regimented turn system being perfect for quick play sessions.

I quickly made a wallpaper if anyone is interested.

If someone could make a 16:9 version of this we would be the bestest of buddies.

Durante

Does it chug a lot? I guess the Gog thing is the only factor holding me back if turns don't stutter a lot.
Performance is better than I expected - I was ready to concede playing at native resolution (1080p) because of the integrated graphics, but it actually works well enough with a mixture of low and medium settings.
People mentioned AoW earlier as an alternative 4x fix but the user reviews are scaring me off.
What user reviews? AoW 3 is fantastic. Probably wouldn't run on integrated graphics as well as Civ V does though.

This sounds pretty damn cool. I have a regular group of people I play Civ V with, so this ought to be a good time in multiplayer too.

If you email ahead of time I wouldn't be surprised if you could. You should try it!

Also, I went to sunday school with one of the co-founder's sons, Brian Reynolds. I've been to his house too.. He's a cool guy. I was too young to understand his achievements in the video game world at that age though.

Shengar

I wonder with this announcement, how long must we wait for the eventual Civ VI.
Well I hope they bring back the stack of doom and significantly increase the scale.

I wonder with this announcement, how long must we wait for the eventual Civ VI.
Well I hope they bring back the stack of doom and significantly increase the scale.

They just released BNW last summer and there's not too much I can think of to add at this point. I'm fine waiting a few more years for Civ VI.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
What user reviews? AoW 3 is fantastic. Probably wouldn't run on integrated graphics as well as Civ V does though.
Gog user reviews. Stuff about not being able to save if you aren't registered and online.

So from the sounds of it, terrible DRM. On Gog no less.

prudislav

Any info on terraforming, diplomcy and Unit customizations??? Loved those in Alpha Centari

Meanwhile at EA:
"We really need to release Alpha Centari remake for tablets" ;-)

Top Bottom