• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shaq believes in a flat earth. Edit: Claims he doesn't believe in a flat earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehbible

"According to a youtuber..."

Ancient-Aliens.jpg

shaq.jpg

Capitan

ok man
why do we see different stars from different places on the earth
why is there gravity
how do we have satellites
why would so many people be in on this conspiracy? the amount of people that it would take to make this work would be crazy. scientists don't make a ton of money, i mean pilots would have to be in on it as well, right?

a very common question. just because governments of the world are all doing this means that it can't be faked? other governments cant be colluding to be in on the lie? its a lie thats been going on for 500+ years. and yes, governments collude. have to get out of the nation/state paradigm that they propagate.

everything that you know about this globe was told to you by governments.

Yes, NASA spends billions and trillions of dollars photo shopping the Earth, and developing underwater pills to allow people to breathe underwater to film fake space videos, and all the other stuff required to fake all of these things, paying centuries of scientists to come up with theories to make all the spherical earth ideas to be plausible, all to perpetuate the most pointless lie in the history of conspiracies.

People knew the earth was spherical over 2000 years ago.
Between Earth's shadow and the fact that stars are only visible depending on if you are in the northern or southern hemisphere.

http://www.popsci.com/10-ways-you-can-prove-earth-is-round

Shaq is a certified genius/scientist/greatest basketball player ever. He is million times more knowledgeable on the workings of our universe than hacks like Stephen Hawking and Neil deGrasse Tyson. If he says the earth is flat. Who am I not to believe him.

Onemic

Shaq is a certified genius/scientist/greatest basketball player ever. He is million times more knowledgeable on the workings of our universe than hacks like Stephen Hawking and Neil deGrasse Tyson. If he says the earth is flat. Who am I not to believe him.

Exactly. Him and Kyrie are honestly on to something and I think it's time we stop putting our heads in the sand and begin to do our own research on the subject.

KingV

youtube is a collection of sources. its not a singular source. its crowd sourced information.

shaq is also a mason so of course hes gonna come out trolling.

Are you unemployed? I've never met a flat earthed with a job.

Funnily enough, I had a buddy that is now a flat earther. He is currently unemployed and spends all day posting flat earth memes on facebook.

The mere fact that someone can believe that, for example NASA has for decades kept up this supposed charade without a single significant mistake or leak is astounding. And that's just NASA. This conspiracy would require literally thousands of people around the world to all be in on it and never fuck up or go against it. Forget the science of it, this alone is way less believable.

MaxSnake1

Neo Member
I met with a few people who believe in flat earth, damn man... it's fascinating how much big their confidence are when they are talking about this shit, NASA is conspiring on the world and convinced them that the earth is sphere, and when you ask them for what purpose they are conspiring about it and what they are gaining from this conspiracy and what about the scientists who said the earth is sphere in the history before NASA even existed, they simply answer me that NASA washed my brain with a confidant smile on their faces.

Why stop at the Earth being flat? Who's to say it also has to be circular? It could be square-shaped. Or hexagonal. Or an upside-down pyramid. You don't even know how deep the rabbit hole goes!

youtube is a collection of sources. its not a singular source. its crowd sourced information.

shaq is also a mason so of course hes gonna come out trolling.

No, academia is crowd sourced information. YouTube is a bunch of idiots screaming at each other with no sane discussion happening about ideas.

Flat-Earth conspiracy is one of those fascinating things that doesn't hold up even under the tiniest amount of scrutiny.

Let's ignore all the fucktons of actual evidence for a round Earth and just point out the fact that humans across the entire planet can't agree on anything.
Governments will fight night and day about borders, laws, treaties, hell even something as sensible as the SI unit of measurement is still not universally accepted.

But somehow there is universal consensus about keeping flat earth a secret.

Right.

Flat-Earth conspiracy is one of those fascinating things that doesn't hold up even under the tiniest amount of scrutiny.

Let's ignore all the fucktons of actual evidence for a round Earth and just point out the fact that humans across the entire planet can't agree on anything.
Governments will fight night and day about borders, laws, treaties, hell even something as sensible as the SI unit of measurement is still not universally accepted.

But somehow there is universal consensus about keeping flat earth a secret.

Right.

What gets me is that I still haven't found a decent answer as to *why* that would even be a thing. Why would all the governments - even the ones that fucking hate each other - think it so important to agree that this needs to be kept from everyone?
What exactly would happen if the world knew the "truth"?

sphinx

the piano man
What gets me is that I still haven't found a decent answer as to *why* that would even be a thing. Why would all the governments - even the ones that fucking hate each other - think it so important to agree that this needs to be kept from everyone?

rumor has it, if you find flat-earth's edge and you fall into it, you wake up in the real world and this is a simulation.

all people at the top in the governments were sent by them to make sure we don't learn about the truth

OMGOMG hollywood, hire me please

Disclaimer: I don't believe this. It's just an answer to the question.

One possibility is that they're doing it so that people keep funding / keep supporting funding for NASA / space programs / research into space / etc. and that money is just going toward other stuff instead.

Note: In case you missed it at the beginning, I don't actually believe this is the case. Just answering the question.

rjinaz

rumor has it, if you find flat-earth's edge and you fall into it, you wake up in the real world and this is a simulation.

all people at the top in the governments were sent by them to make sure we don't learn about the truth

I'd watch that movie. Though it would probably spread the crazy.

Its the Illuminati bruh. They want us to think the Earth is round and "just another planet" to help push the belief in evolution. They are hiding the truth that the Earth is flat and we are special because god made it that way. If everyone knew the truth and that the Earth was flat and god created us, then the illuminati lord Baphomet/Satan would lose his grip of influence over mankind and his fight to turn us all into Atheists.

Matt

Disclaimer: I don't believe this. It's just an answer to the question.

One possibility is that they're doing it so that people keep funding / keep supporting funding for NASA / space programs / research into space / etc. and that money is just going toward other stuff instead.

Note: In case you missed it at the beginning, I don't actually believe this is the case. Just answering the question.
Except we have known the Earth is a sphere for almost 2,500 years.

Unless Aristotle was playing the long game...

Matt

I'm not sure why you quoted my post and then replied something that had nothing to do with my post.
It had everything to do with you post. I'm saying why would we create the myth of a spherical earth to fund organizations that wouldn't exist for thousands of years?

I know that's not your argument, but I'm saying that argument they might make doesn't fit any definition of logic.

Derwind

It's hilarious that a flat earth movement even exists in this day and age since you can easily FaceTime someone on the other side of the planet just to see if the sun is in the same position in the sky for them as it is for you?

Harmen

I think god is in on the consiracy, he made the world shperical just to hide it is actually flat. He won't fool me though.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

That's not a bad concept for a fictional world, actually, lol.

Matt

Except that it didn't.
Similar to people who think that the earth is flat, presenting something as a "fact" or "true" simply because you believe it is doesn't make it true.

So, yeah, nothing to do with my actual post.
What? I meant "not you argument" as in you were playing devil's advocate. But the argument you presented does not make any sense in any way, and I pointed out why.

KingV

It's hilarious that a flat earth movement even exists in this day and age since you can easily FaceTime someone on the other side of the planet just to see if the sun is in the same position in the sky for them as it is for you?

They have convinced themselves that the sun works sort of like a spotlight, and that the seasons are caused by kind of a spiraling motion of the sun. Never mind this causes a ton of problems like; why isn't the North Pole sort of warm?

I assume their answer is that the trajectory of the sun sort of mirrors the calculations used for the round earth, but none of those people are smart enough to actually do those calculations to calculate that trajectory.

you were playing devil's advocate.

No, I wasn't.
I was providing one of the answers for the question that was asked.

But the argument you presented

I didn't "present" an "argument"

does not make any sense in any way

I never said anything about it "mak[ing] any sense"

and I pointed out why.

Which, as I showed above, had nothing to do with my post.

Reminder: The question that was asked, and that I replied to, was:

There was nothing in there about the/a "decent answer" having to "make sense."
Because - surprise - no argument about the earth being flat makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom