• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Death Note Trailer. Release August 25th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
They're equally silly, but a movie about a Twitter profile can fuck off tbh

It wouldn't be about the twitter profile. It doesn't even have to be a twitter profile. Or facebook. They could just make up a social network for all I care and call it DeathNoteOnline.

Macka

I don't like the casting for Light at all based on this.

This guy looks like the grimdark outcast type, as opposed to to the extremely popular, handsome and charismatic sociopath he's supposed to be.

Dafoe is a fantastic choice for Ryuk though.

Okay so I know nothing about this series but looking at that page, is it on purpose that the rules are so long and convoluted? Is it meant to be like a neverending loop of torturing whoever comes in contact with it?

It's a book that's not meant for humans, it exists in another plane of existence for Shinigamis(gods of death). Call it limbo or land of the dead, if you will. Now, Imagine a bored god who wanted to experiment with the idea of what would happen if he were to drop his book in the land of the living?

This is basically the premise of Death Note. Apart from Willem Dafoe being Ryuk, I'm not interested, I'll stick to the anime. For one, the anime's greatest strength is the soundtrack.

Lunar15

Kinda confused as to why there was a cut to a squad of cheerleaders with one smoking?

I don't need them to follow the plot of the original at all, but I'd really rather Light not be some weird outcast. Him being popular, good looking, and the last person you'd expect to act this way was what made it so great.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I never understood why someone would touch the notebook, see the shinigami, and still voluntarily choose to turn into nothingness when they die.
What is the alternative? There is no heaven or hell for anyone, just nothing.
There is a heaven and a hell in Death Note, there's a rule that specifies "The human who uses the notebook can neither go to Heaven nor Hell.".

Nothingness sounds like a much better deal than hell though. Unless you're absolutely sure you're going to heaven you might as well play around with the notebook.

They should have updated this for modern times and Western audiences. It should be a smart phone or tablet that has twitter with a special profile. Whenever you tweet someones name they end up dying.

The Death Note is a shinigami artifact. It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for them to be dropping iPhones loaded up with twitter.

One of the main draws is how much L is up against to find out how Kira is doing what he's doing. He has zilch to gone on at the very beginning. If Kira's just posting on twitter, all of that pull is pretty much gone.

People still use notebooks.

I don't know, there seems to be a lot wrong with this idea.

If they keep his name as Light, how much do want to bet that there will be bullies calling him dumb names like "lightbulb"?

*gets traumatic DBE flashbacks*

Fuu

Just saw that Masi Oka (Hiro Nakamura from Heroes) is playing a character in this, but I don't know which.

If they keep his name as Light, how much do want to bet that there will be bullies calling him dumb names like "lightbulb"?

*gets traumatic DBE flashbacks*
His name is Light Turner in this version.

Arkeband

Banned
I feel like Death Note is a really weird source to base a single film off of. I moved past the manga/anime pretty quickly after my early teens, so I never actually saw the movies, but I heard the Japanese live action films weren't really that great either. I'd imagine there's too much world building to be done sufficiently in about 120 minutes. I think a (mini)series would probably be better; hell, the god-damn tennis scene needs its own episode.

Maybe I'm wrong, I guess we'll find out in August.

The first two Japanese films did an allright job of creating arcs where there weren't any - I thought the lead was horribly cast because he looks nothing like Light, L's actor was pretty great which is probably why they made some horrible third movie starring him.

They had other problems, though, like the music - someone in charge of production must have had a huge hardon for RHCP because one of the movies ends blasting CALIFORNIA SHOW YOUR TEEEETH, despite the movies having nothing to do with California.

They should have updated this for modern times and Western audiences. It should be a smart phone or tablet that has twitter with a special profile. Whenever you tweet someones name they end up dying.

Message boards existed back in YE OLDEN DAYS of the 2000's, and they still went with a notebook, because it has to be a medium that Shinigami can also interact with, unless they now exist in the Deep Web.

fertygo

There is a heaven and a hell in Death Note, there's a rule that specifies "The human who uses the notebook can neither go to Heaven nor Hell.".

Nothingness sounds like a much better deal than hell though. Unless you're absolutely sure you're going to heaven you might as well play around with the notebook.

Pretty sure in the ending its revealed

Ryuk already told Heaven and Hell its just a lie in the beginning, in the end is just nothingness and that what scared light the most if he end up dead.

HStallion

The Death Note is a shinigami artifact. It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for them to be dropping iPhones loaded up with twitter.

One of the main draws is how much L is up against to find out how Kira is doing what he's doing. He has zilch to gone on at the very beginning. If Kira's just posting on twitter, all of that pull is pretty much gone.

People still use notebooks.

I don't know, there seems to be a lot wrong with this idea.

The Death Notes change over time to match the time period they're in. Its not like ancient Japanese writers were using a modern notebook to write in.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
If we're talking about social media death note, just a reminder to people interested that there is this movie called Unfriended about people who get killed over skype and it is terrible... so yeah I'd be up for that in Death Note

Fuu

Ryuk already told Heaven and Hell its just a lie in the beginning, in the end is just nothingness and that what scared light the most if he end up dead.
Oh damn, I completely forgot about that.

Busty

Banned
Rest of this looks kind of....cheap, maybe?.

I'm curious to see how Netflix (who intend to make thirty feature films a year) are going to differentiate their films from studio releases. At the end of the day the platforms 'day and date' policy means that these will productions will always been seen as TV movies.

Correct. Light deduced on their first meeting that Heaven and Hell aren't real. As Ryuk says, death is equal.

Arkeband

Banned

Yeah, it states:

"All humans will, without exception, eventually die."

"After they die, the place they go to is MU. (nothingness)"

So it's a test to see if they will accept the Death Note knowing there can be existential punishment. The reality is that punishment doesn't exist because there is no heaven or hell. It's one of the morals of the story, whether human beings are inherently good or evil, or whether only the threat of divine retribution keeps them in line.

Macka

The Death Notes change over time to match the time period they're in. Its not like ancient Japanese writers were using a modern notebook to write in.
I'm not convinced you aren't joking, but there's a difference between 'they change to match the time period' and Ryuk dropping a fucking tablet with twitter already pre-loaded on it into the human world. Why would the Shinigami have Twitter? It's a very silly idea.

Yeah, it states:

"All humans will, without exception, eventually die."

"After they die, the place they go to is MU. (nothingness)"

So it's a test to see if they will accept the Death Note knowing there can be existential punishment. The reality is that punishment doesn't exist because there is no heaven or hell. It's one of the morals of the story, whether human beings are inherently good or evil, or whether only the threat of divine retribution keeps them in line.

Whoa, I totally missed that even rewatching it. That's a pretty cool detail.

Trailer... kind of looked okay? I just can't see how they cram the entire anime into a 90 minute film without some drastic plot cuts.

sappyday

Like with Ghost in the Shell I'm expecting a different story than a 1:1 adaptation. Those who are expecting the latter should prepare to be disappointed. What really matters is if they manage to tell a good story, not if it is 100% manga accurate.
This. It was never going to be 100% accurate to the material, not even the anime is. I think it looks alright so far. Not sure how I feel about light but mainly cause I'm not sure about the actor, the actor who plays L is actually pretty good. I think that chick is supposed to be Misa but she looks nothing like her personality wise. So it's definitely going to be different, but as long as they keep the core themes and the cat and mouse game then I'll give it try.

I've always wanted to see Death Note done well in film. I've never seen the Japanese live action films though, mainly cause they follow the material too closely. L looks ridiculous if you try to make him look exactly how he does in the manga/anime imo.

HStallion

I'm not convinced you aren't joking, but there's a difference between 'they change to match the time period' and Ryuk dropping a fucking tablet with twitter already pre-loaded on it into the human world. Why would the Shinigami have Twitter? It's a very silly idea.

I find the Death Note idea silly in general so this doesn't really stretch things thin for me in terms of a premise. It doesn't have to even be Twitter or any social network. It could just be an app called DeathNote that you enter people's names into.

Not getting a good feeling after seeing who the writer is.

His other credits include the new Fantastic Four, the new Exorcist and The Lazarus Effect.

It's a shame these terrible writers keep getting work.

Fantastic Four was shit, sure, but The Exorcist tv show was great.

I feel like in a perfect world, Rian Johnson would have directed this.
No way, that doesn't sound ideal at all! In a perfect world, for an american adaptation of a cheesy high-concept thriller manga like this, you get somebody like the guy who directed The Guest or You're Next. Somebody with throwback horror/thriller bona fides that can deftly handle the aesthetic, the dumbness, and the thrills.

In other words, they hired exactly the right guy. Death Note isn't some unassailable modern classic. It is a high-concept mostly trashy thriller. It looks like Adam Wingard is building on that elevated 80's B-movie aesthetic that he used to great effect for The Guest.

Macka

I find the Death Note idea silly in general so this doesn't really stretch things thin for me in terms of a premise. It doesn't have to even be Twitter or any social network. It could just be an app called DeathNote that you enter people's names into.
Why do you find the idea of the Death Note silly? As far as supernatural fiction goes, I don't see how it stands out compared to anything else.

The Shinigami use the notebooks to write the names of people they want to die, extending their own lives in the process. Again, why would the Shinigami have Twitter, or any other social media platform? I find that much, much sillier. The lore of the Shinigami realm is actually a pretty interesting aspect of Death Note, and your idea of 'reinventing the story for the modern age' would require changing or removing pretty much all of it.

Kyonashi

Like the Death Note as a notebook was any less silly? The concept is silly, its how you present it.

Nah it's not the fact that it's silly or not, it's just the kind of decision a boardroom of executives would decide to 'appeal to the kids'. It's just an unnecessary change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom