• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Power Rangers |SPOILER THREAD| We've got SIX (6) more after this, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vareon

Usually my complains in film like this is how the characters lack chemistry with each other.

But here they addressed it, they forced themselves to bond even. I like that.

Zack and Trini need more screen time, but that's to be expected in a movie that tried to introduce 5 characters at once.

The suit battle and Megazord combining is my biggest gripe. Not enough action, and the combination sequence looks as if they ran out of budget and just make vague machines connecting each other in slosh of red.

It's far from perfect (barely even good) but I want more of this. I want more movies with them, preferably kicking ass from the start.

Jeffrey

It's like 90% of the movie and probably the best part.

There's too much they have to get through before they go Zeo though.

- Zed
- Rita & Zed teaming up
- Evil Green ranger + him joining the team
- Dragon zord
- Titanus (maybe?)
- Alien ranger teaser??
- White Ranger
- Tiger Zrod

Then they can go Zeo, but you'd also need the Gold Ranger eventually. It's gonna be interesting seeing how they move forward. Rita basically set everyhing up with her losing the green power coin and talking about more people from around the universe coming for the Zeo crystal.

they seem to be taking liberties already. They didn't have to use the Zeo crystal as a plot point right away, so there is no guarantee for all or most of those bullet points appearing in this movie series.

I can't imagine a sequel to this having a drastically difference in fighting vs 'teen life'.

I just thought of the worst thing in the world though. Zack's mom gives the rangers the thunder megazord/tiger zord. Chinese themed zords from a chinese lady!

That dialogue with his mom was weird too lol. They talk to each other in Chinese yet she calls him Zack in english and not his chinese name, or even 'romanizing' it to something like Zha Ke.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I thought the Krispy Kreme shit was funny! Gonna be interesting to see who they choose for Tommy and how the love triangle will develop between Jason, Kimberley and Tommy!

I legit laughed at several points in this movie because it was such schlock! Loved it. The make my monster grow was great and the OG power rangers song kicking in was great! Was that scene also an homage to the old one when they would summon the droids and then run together?

Worst part of the movie was the lack of development for Trini and zack. I felt like they just added them outta no where and the movie primarily revolved around the other 3 (though Trini did get a scene with Rita)

Pachimari

The Krispy Kreme shit was real funny.

Anyway, am I the only one who was bothered that they didn't try doing first aid on Billy when he died to get him back to life? All they did was talk to him as if that would have helped.

Magwik

Banned
Power Rangers was a surprisingly good character film. Like 85% of it was character based and driven with the remaining being action, and it works. Fucking Power Rangers character depth. If Rita had anymore screentime than she did, my entire opinion of the film would have sank. Completely out of place performance and tonally from the rest of the movie. It's well shot, the editing is overall really solid, there is a visually impressive opening scene that somehow made its way into here. It's a good movie. Even for those who aren't fans.

Really liked it! I hope it does good so we get a sequel.

But was it me or where those zords really small? I can't imagine Jason didn't get claustrophobic inside that tiny cockpit.

It was okay, kinda insufferable at times but grew on me. Sucks there wasn't much of them in suits, also was darker than I thought it'd go

Jeffrey

Felt like a lot of the trailer stuff wasn't in the movie? I don't remember kimberly and Jason making out. Or someone doing kicks on a train.

I had to leave for a restroom break so I might have missed it though

The most pleasantly surprising movie since Deadpool turned out to be good. Great character development, they lucked into some talented unknowns because for the most part they all did a great job (Trini was the only eh one), Elizabeth Banks did a good creepy yet hammy Rita, Cranston was a great Zordon, and honestly they didn't shit on the source material as much as the designs would lead you to believe. Hell, up until the third act, the movie even looked really good, with some surprisingly decent cinematography and some seriously interesting visuals. Is the third act a mess? Maybe. It definitely went full on Power Rangers in the end, and as much as I thought that was what I wanted, it was a bit of a letdown. It sounds dumb to say the least interesting part of a Power Rangers movie was the actual Power Rangers, but I think that's more of a testament to how well they crafted the characters than how poorly done the action scenes were (they were exceedingly average).

The use of the original theme for the Zords was like one of the hypest moments I've seen in a film in a long time. It's dumb, it totally didn't fit the tone of the film, but fuck it I loved it. Same goes for "It's morphin' time." Line totally didn't feel like it worked within the confines of the world the film created, but I wanted it. The crowd had a big cheer for when JDF and Amy Jo Johnson showed up towards the end for their cameo, which was nice. They went a little overboard with making sure the audience knew Billy was on the spectrum. He's easily the best character in the film, but it wasn't handled as well as I thought Trini's sexual orientation was, which was way less in your face. Also, the opening scene was great and quickly got the audience to understand the type of film this is setting out to be. The Mariner Bay and Reefside namedrop randomly in the film was a fun little nod that I don't think a lot of people got.

So yeah. In the most surprising film of the year (I really feel confident in that assessment), this turned out good. Enjoyed it so much more than the last few DC films and probably any Marvel film after Winter Soldier. Really hope it does well enough for at least a Green With Evil movie, because I think that could be something special if this crew is kept together. Everyone knows I was pretty down on the movie leading up to it, so maybe low expectations helped, but I highly recommend it if you like the source material at all. Or just like a competently made blockbuster. Critics missed the ball with this one, especially with King Kong being more highly regarded than this.

defiant04

Banned
Remember that joke when alpha 5 asks if they've morphed before and Zack replies, "only in the shower" what does that mean?

Felt like a lot of the trailer stuff wasn't in the movie? I don't remember kimberly and Jason making out. Or someone doing kicks on a train.

If they cut it, I'm okay with that!

Hopefully the love triangle isn't a huge plot point in the next film.

They cut it. I noticed it wasn't in it either.

I think I'm actually going to go see it again on Sunday cause I had a blast with it

Experien

I loved this film. Super great.

Only issues was when the action at the end happened, it seemed rush. The problem with that is that the slow burn/intro/origin took its time to find its place and did a really good job playing things out. Seems like a big contrast.

Illucio

Banned
I assume the next movie will probably be:

Lord Zedd
Green Ranger
Zack breaking all 3 rules and gets kicked out of the Power Rangers like in the show.
Kim joining the dive team

And the third movie would bring the white ranger and possibly the green candle story arc and Thunderzords.

Toa TAK

Banned
Critics missed the ball with this one, especially with King Kong being more highly regarded than this.
Yeah, it's weird going from Kong to this and realizing which was better received critically. The characters here were much better than in Long, sans John C.Riley's.

Fj0823

I assume the next movie will probably be:

Lord Zedd
Green Ranger
Zack breaking all 3 rules and gets kicked out of the Power Rangers like in the show.
Kim joining the dive team

And the third movie would bring the white ranger and possibly the green candle story arc and Thunderzords.

I think it would be best to go straight to Zeo after the White Ranger. It feels more in line with the movie's plot.

I also fully expect Green Ranger and White Ranger to be covered in the same movie.

Sanjuro

Yeah, it's weird going from Kong to this and realizing which was better received critically. The characters here were much better than in Long, sans John C.Riley's.

The last three films I have seen in cinemas were Kong, Beauty and the Beast, and Power Rangers.

Before that I saw Get Out.

Schlock for days!

Sanjuro

I don't think this series is going to be quick to jump to the next thing or variant. I can see a sequel where Green Ranger joins the ranks and they split the team.

Green/Black/Yellow vs Red/Blue/Pink. Something like that.

Pachimari

I want Green Ranger in the sequel, but I would also like for his armor to look a little different, and not look like the one Rita had.

Fj0823

Once they hit Zeo, are they really gonna change the suits?

I like the MMPR-esque design they have here.

Zeo designs will probably be similar but with some "Gods of Egypt" thrown in there

If we get a sequel the first scene MUST be the rangers fighting the monster of the week with the theme at full blast like a mini episode of the show, cut to the Title and then start the plot as if they've been doing that for a while

Scarecrow

Ya, I'm guessing 2 will be Rita mind fucking Tommy to being the bad guy and 3 will be Zedd.

I only noticed the cameos by Amy and Jason. Jo Johnson looks exactly like she did in the 90s it's unreal. Were the other OG rangers in there?

Jeffrey

Oh yeah. What's with the random sword Jason got lol. No fanfare or anything when he used it, but he returned it at the end like it was excalibur or something.

Felt like a scene was missing somewhere lol.

Zeo designs will probably be similar but with some "Gods of Egypt" thrown in there

If we get a sequel the first scene MUST be the rangers fighting the monster of the week with the theme at full blast like a mini episode of the show, cut to the Title and then start the plot as if they've been doing that for a while

The second movie will definitely start off in the middle of a battle scene. It'll easily address people complaint about not enough fights.

I'd also love for these to go the iron man route and tweak the designs of the suits or the zords with each film.

Gurrry

Oh yeah. What's with the random sword Jason got lol. No fanfare or anything when he used it, but he returned it at the end like it was excalibur or something.

Felt like a scene was missing somewhere lol.

I think I read originally that this was a 3 hour film. So there was def stuff that was cut. But honestly, it didnt need to be any longer than it was. They used the time effectively.

I do wonder why they decided to cut out the Jason Kimberly kissing scene. I imagine it probably didnt play out any farther than the kiss and they just decided to axe it. However, I think it wouldve made that scene before they fall into the pit alot more emotional (where she looks over to Jason and puts her hand on the window telling him bye).

Cutting it might have been best if theyre just gonna set her up with Tommy for the next one. Having people choose who they want to be with Kimberly isnt something they should do. It would leave fans feeling like they too have to choose between Jason or Tommy, and they probably dont want that.

Illucio

Banned
I think I read originally that this was a 3 hour film. So there was def stuff that was cut. But honestly, it didnt need to be any longer than it was. They used the time effectively.

I do wonder why they decided to cut out the Jason Kimberly kissing scene. I imagine it probably didnt play out any farther than the kiss and they just decided to axe it. However, I think it wouldve made that scene before they fall into the pit alot more emotional (where she looks over to Jason and puts her hand on the window telling him bye).

Cutting it might have been best if theyre just gonna set her up with Tommy for the next one. Having people choose who they want to be with Kimberly isnt something they should do. It would leave fans feeling like they too have to choose between Jason or Tommy, and they probably dont want that.

#TeamJason #TeamTommy

Oh gosh, Tommy belongs with Katherine though.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
This wasn't as bad as I had hoped it would be.
Legit shook. There's some things that the movie could do without, and some things I had hoped it would do that it didn't do, but what it did right, it got right.

Banks is amazing in her role.
And they credited Super Sentai almost at the beginning of end credits so that pleases me.

Jeffrey

Huh so the og rangers were at the red carpet event. Wonder if they had Nam flashbacks. Tons of horror stories of original mmpr movie.

Jeffrey

Hmmm would Tommy be a football player too parallel Jason and Tommy doing martial arts in the tv show?

Maybe Tommy took over qb after Jason broke his leg.

As I stated in the OT, I loved it.

As folks already said, the non-morphed scenes were the best parts. The characters were great and their friendship felt like a natural growth throughout the movie. The individual characters were all great, with Billy topping the list.

Jason functioned well enough, though I didn't care about him and I felt his shift into the leader was unearned.

Kimberly was alright. But as someone stated earlier, her problems don't really amount to anything compared to the others. Which is funny since she thinks she is the reason they couldn't morph.

Trini still needs a bit of work. The pieces were there, but she didn't get the focus needed. It's also possible they scrapped it as to not offend some. I feel they wanted to go with her family being traditional Christian values and that conflicted with who she is.

Zack was cool. He could have used a bit more time on screen, but his backstory and character was instantly understandable. His reveal around the campfire was probably his best scene. He also had the best reactions in the film.

Billy, as stated, was awesome.

Rita was great and entertaining and they had some surprisingly dark stuff with her.

Production wise, the movie could tighten up in some spot, particularly the cinematography and the suit choreography. There were some scenes where there was a lot of head space where the action was occurring and the focus was too low on the screen. The suit choreography was just to light. The scene where they were fighting underwater was a lot better than when they were fighting on land. Which is strange because the out of suit action was surprising well done. I don't think they even had any quick cuts.

The sound was off in a couple spots. Strangely enough, I think it happened to Zack the most.

Story wise, it was good, but there were some issues. Jason and Zack's fight felt off. I think they were trying to get across that they were all tired and annoyed with Zack, but it somehow didn't feel earned, even though they had a good reason to be pissed off at Zack. There were some consistency issues, with couple characters jumping around in the scene.

All in all, if they iron out a few of those issues, the sequel will be a real treat, in my opinion. Hell, I can already guess where they are going.

Rita loss the coin, and Tommy will find it. Rita, now on the moon, still probably holds influence over the coin due to being linked with it for so long, so she will be able to control Tommy to do her bidding. Tommy will be used to tear the Rangers apart from the inside and infiltrate their base. Rita's control over Gold will come into play and will probably be how Tommy's gold shield will get made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom