• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity Original Sin 2 review thread

KORNdoggy

easily my most anticipated game...but annoyingly i have to wait for the hopeful PS4 version. i'm hoping it happens sooner rather than later.

Skyr

Would this game be a good start if you never played a turn based rpg before?

I was always kinda ignorant to the genre but the high praise makes me want to try it out.

So would this be ok for a beginner or should I start with something more "basic"?

I was always kinda ignorant to the genre but the high praise makes me want to try it out.

So would this be ok for a beginner or should I start with something more "basic"?

For somebody's whose not use to TBS, go in on Explorer or Classic mode difficulty. The combat takes a little getting use to but it's extremely fun.

Shahadan

If you've never played something like this you'll probably have more problems with the amount of options and choices in front of you than the battle system itself.
Depends on how you deal with that

How much will be lost by not playing this game co-op?

I've got a couple friends who may go in on this on PC, but the actual opportunities to play together will be limited. Still worth it for solo?

Lucifon

How much will be lost by not playing this game co-op?

I've got a couple friends who may go in on this on PC, but the actual opportunities to play together will be limited. Still worth it for solo?

Absolutely, it's great solo. You still get 3 other party members. This is the first game like this I've played where I can't wait to play it again in coop just to do things differently. I'm purposely leaving out a rogue from my group because I want to play that style with a buddy.

Iztli

Is the story and dialogue as cheesy as the first one? I stopped playing that game because all that corniness would destroy my immersion.

Absolutely, it's great solo. You still get 3 other party members. This is the first game like this I've played where I can't wait to play it again in coop just to do things differently. I'm purposely leaving out a rogue from my group because I want to play that style with a buddy.

Great news.

Well I was a few hours into Persona 5 and really struggling to get into it, so this may have to replace it on my overstuffed game schedule.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i really want my D&D friends and i to play this together... hope we get some sort of christmas 4x bundle on Steam i can splurge on

CHC

So it really is a Baldur's Gate 1 -> 2 quality leap?

I loved the combat and stuff in the first game, but wasn't compelled to finish. I played the first ~30 hours or so twice - once alone on PC and once with a friend on PS4. I don't think I have the stamina to return for a third run and finish it right now, but I'm very interested in the sequel.

I loved the first one after buying it on sale. Knew long before I got finished with it that it was exactly the type of game I had been wanting to play, which struck me odd as I couldn't muster the strength to play through Pillars of Eternity even though I backed it.

The most surprising thing though is how much I'm enjoying playing Co-op with my brother. It boggles my mind how they managed to make a battle system like this work with multiple players. That said, my fights usually play out like this.

bha2Bs1.jpg

Got a question for those that have played it;is it possible to do a no combat playthrough or are there obligatory dungeons and what not in the game?

Congrats to Larian on the big success,now all i need is release dates for Six Ages and No Truce With The Furies to complete the CRPG renaissance for me.

epmode

Got a question for those that have played it;is it possible to do a no combat playthrough or are there obligatory dungeons and what not in the game?

I’m 99% sure there’s no way to avoid most combat. Maybe you could avoid many of the unscripted fights if every party member invests in sneaking?

Speaking as someone that goes with most pacifist routes when they’re available, you don’t want to do this. Combat provides much of your XP and you’d wind up severely underleveled if you skipped it. Not to mention that the combat is absolutely brilliant.

AndersK

So, uh, i accidentally teleported a party member down a deep ravine in a cave filled with monster fire slugs. I wanted to teleport them to the other side. whoop-si-daysi.

This game.

Congrats to Larian on the big success,now all i need is release dates for Six Ages and No Truce With The Furies to complete the CRPG renaissance for me.

As a person who attempts as little combat as possible in every game he plays(I once tried a Fallout 3 run)....in this game combat will be required. There quite a few side quests that you can solve without, but the star of the game really is the combat.

Are the improvements and QOL changes large enough, that I can skip the first?

I plan to.

I tried the 2nd game in early access and really enjoyed it. Haven't touched it since but I can only imagine they've improved it a lot. For whatever reason, I had trouble getting into the first one.

I really want to buy this game, but I remember being overwhelmed by the content of the first one, and never finished it. I also don't have tens of hours to game a week so.

Anyone got the same problem? :-(

Lister

Banned
Shit. Want. This wasnt even on my radar since I have no gaming PC.

Can't have, but want.

2017 is fucking nuts.

But when is the ps4 version? I don't have a pc :'(

My guess is you won't be seeing this on PS4 until 2018 earliest. Assuming it comes (though given it's current success, it's likelyt o make the jump).

But you know guys, if these types of games are somethign you crave, there's a simple solution for you: Get a PC. You don't need to spend $800 for one that runs this game and similar games. You can build a budget gaming PC for $300-$400.

Ragnaroz

Absolutely in love with the game so far. I had my doubts, but the new system is fleshed out really well and allows a lot of freedom when making characters, even on the highest difficulty. The story is really good so far and reminds me a lot of some X-Men storylines, for example Sourcerers = mutants and Fort Joy = Genosha, they even have the Mutant Inhibitor Collars. I have 24h on Steam and I'm still not done with Act 1(which is only about 25% of the game).

https://twitter.com/bleatingheart/status/909652050304290816

Hmm, I wonder what this is about. She's reviewing the game for Polygon.
This is quite a bit spoilery for Act 1 so thread carefully.
It could be that she's forced to kill one of the companions, or more of them later in the game. Sebille's(or elven really) god told me I would need to get rid of my companions at some point because they're competition. And he also straight up told me to kill Lohse right now.

I can't wait to dig into this, Larian is amazing.

I loved the first one after buying it on sale. Knew long before I got finished with it that it was exactly the type of game I had been wanting to play, which struck me odd as I couldn't muster the strength to play through Pillars of Eternity even though I backed it.

The most surprising thing though is how much I'm enjoying playing Co-op with my brother. It boggles my mind how they managed to make a battle system like this work with multiple players. That said, my fights usually play out like this.

I tried playing the first game on Tactical difficulty, and every single battle skips any potential for the 'I am a genius!' part and goes straight to the 'Oh no!'. Whew it is brutal.

Is the story and dialogue as cheesy as the first one? I stopped playing that game because all that corniness would destroy my immersion.

You have to let go and just embrace the cheese. It's worth it.

https://twitter.com/bleatingheart/status/909652050304290816

Hmm, I wonder what this is about. She's reviewing the game for Polygon.

Probably related to mid-age craziness (racists, sexists, slavery, etc). The game is very heavy on those.

This is quite a bit spoilery for Act 1 so thread carefully.
It could be that she's forced to kill one of the companions, or more of them later in the game. Sebille's(or elven really) god told me I would need to get rid of my companions at some point because they're competition. And he also straight up told me to kill Lohse right now.

I doubt that'll make her want to stop playing. Yeah, it was a huge plot twist but not game-breaking.

Ragnaroz

I doubt that'll make her want to stop playing. Yeah, it was a huge plot twist but not game-breaking.
Definitely wouldn't stop me, but who knows, people are different. It's either something along those lines or she found something in the game to be offended about.

Probably related to mid-age craziness (racists, sexists, slavery, etc). The game is very heavy on those.

She specifically said it was a spoilery choice that she was forced into.

Oh dear - an RPG is forcing the player to make a decision that they may feel terrible about either way! Heavens no! :p

Yeah my initial gut reaction is "Shit, I hope that a game that offers genuine choice and consequence doesn't get a poor review for not always forcing easy decisions." But it could be a genuine issue with being forced into a bad choice that is unearned. We'll see I guess.

I will say it seems like a net positive she is emotionally invested enough into the story/world/characters so much that it bothers her that much.

Story and writing so far (35 hours) have been miles better than the first game. It's more serious and darker.

But it still has humor, it doesn't go fully grimdark. They nail the balance much better this time. It's serious when it needs to, story beats have the weight they need to have and there's some very dark and serious quests, stories and characters. The writing knows how to loosen the tie when appropriate, the world still has humor and amusing characters without taking away from the story.

CHC

But it still has humor, it doesn't go fully grimdark. They nail the balance much better this time. It's serious when it needs to, story beats have the weight they need to have and there's some very dark and serious quests, stories and characters. The writing knows how to loosen the tie when appropriate, the world still has humor and amusing characters without taking away from the story.

That sounds really nice. In theory I have no problem with full "seriousness" but in practice it often becomes a slog. Most of my favorite RPGs, like The Witcher III, Final Fantasy VII and Baldur's Gate II are all punctuated with moments of levity, which really makes them much more compelling journeys given the length and the commitment that they ask of you.

"Humor" isn't something I actively look for in RPG writing, but having moments of lightness is critical in longer games.

That sounds really nice. In theory I have no problem with full "seriousness" but in practice it often becomes a slog. Most of my favorite RPGs, like The Witcher III, Final Fantasy VII and Baldur's Gate II are all punctuated with moments of levity, which really makes them much more compelling journeys given the length and the commitment that they ask of you.

"Humor" isn't something I actively look for in RPG writing, but having moments of lightness is critical in longer games.

Yup. This game has one of the best balances of it i've experienced. The first game (imo, i know some loved it) was too far into the humor side. It took away from the moments it tried to be serious because it set up this world where it felt like nothing mattered because everything was too light hearted. On the other side, if the game is too serious it becomes draining to play -- unless it's the entire premise for the game like in Dark Souls. OS2 does both really well. There'll be a 30 minute quest that handles a depressing topic where everything is serious and gray morality, then a bit later i'm grinning at a description the narrator gave. It's very well done.

I am loving this game so far, so I am glad it is reviewing well. The fights on the harder difficultly don't pull any punches either. I had to play smart even during the initial tutorial fights.

I love how many options the game gives you. For one fight I teleported the enemies into a closed off space where they were trapped for the whole fight.

Lister

Banned
Not many reviews yet, I guess no one got early code?

Not that it really matters to any of us, I think we all know this game is awesome :)

But more exposure for Larian would be good.

Jimrpg

I want this too!

But I already got BG 1&2 and Pillars and barely started Pillars.

I haven't played the first D:OS either...

I am loving this game so far, so I am glad it is reviewing well. The fights on the harder difficultly don't pull any punches either. I had to play smart even during the initial tutorial fights.

I love how many options the game gives you. For one fight I teleported the enemies into a closed off space where they were trapped for the whole fight.

I'm doing it Co-Op on Classic and...while having 4 people makes it chaotic to the point I'm kinda unsure whats actually going on...the scope of things you can do blows my mind. We felt like we "broke" a puzzle section, and cheesed another encounter but the fact the game gives you this wide range of tools isn't gonna hold you back if you find the winning combo is lovely.

I think we are about 2/3 through Act 1, according to my friend who played EA, and that's at about 12 hours or so (although it'd be 15-16 if the saves still counted times we had to reload). Also once I finally got enough gold to nab a bunch of skillbooks for my Shadowblade I'm not zipping around the battle-field, dealings tons of damage.

I one shot the (mid/late Act 1 spoilers)
Witch in the Cave, near the Dragon
with Ruptured Tendons as after she started to run away she basically flopped over and died straight away. It made the fight feel easy but in a pleasant "We did really well" way rather than "This game is piss easy" etc.

Feels like it'd be my GOTY so far, although it depends on if we finish it before the year is up :

I'm doing it Co-Op on Classic and...while having 4 people makes it chaotic to the point I'm kinda unsure whats actually going on...the scope of things you can do blows my mind. We felt like we "broke" a puzzle section, and cheesed another encounter but the fact the game gives you this wide range of tools isn't gonna hold you back if you find the winning combo is lovely.

I think we are about 2/3 through Act 1, according to my friend who played EA, and that's at about 12 hours or so (although it'd be 15-16 if the saves still counted times we had to reload). Also once I finally got enough gold to nab a bunch of skillbooks for my Shadowblade I'm not zipping around the battle-field, dealings tons of damage.

I one shot the (mid/late Act 1 spoilers)
Witch in the Cave, near the Dragon
with Ruptured Tendons as after she started to run away she basically flopped over and died straight away. It made the fight feel easy but in a pleasant "We did really well" way rather than "This game is piss easy" etc.

Feels like it'd be my GOTY so far, although it depends on if we finish it before the year is up :

I am going it solo and tactician and boy are the enemies tough. I died on the first fight since it was two and one and had to get a good strategy to win. The physical and magic armor really adds depth since you can't immediately cheese status effects. I enjoy setting poisonous enemies on fire since every time attack them physically, they release more poison which immediately explodes and deals extra damage. I am still at Fort Joy myself since I am combing every inch of the place and fooling around.

The only complaint so far is you get to pick your companion's class, but not how the initial stat points are distributed. Ask someone to be a thief and they put no points in the thief skill, which is made more frustrating by how long it takes for you to gain civil skill points.

Rhoc

I only scratched the surface I'm only 5 hours in but I can already tell it's going to make my GOTY list for sure. The characters are all so likeable especially Fane. The narrator and voice actors are really helping me to immerse myself into the game which is a big plus compared to the first game. No surprise the reviews are that good it's so hard to not like this game if you only have a tiny bit of interest in RPGs. It has a chance to make even my Top 5 best RPGs of all-time and I played alot of them. Larian and Cdproject are making me excited what the future holds for the Rpg market.

adversarial

I am going it solo and tactician and boy are the enemies tough. I died on the first fight since it was two and one and had to get a good strategy to win. The physical and magic armor really adds depth since you can't immediately cheese status effects. I enjoy setting poisonous enemies on fire since every time attack them physically, they release more poison which immediately explodes and deals extra damage. I am still at Fort Joy myself since I am combing every inch of the place and fooling around.

The only complaint so far is you get to pick your companion's class, but not how the initial stat points are distributed. Ask someone to be a thief and they put no points in the thief skill, which is made more frustrating by how long it takes for you to gain civil skill points.

I wonder if there will be a mod that address that. My main gripe is that I can't build my party like I want, but i suppose that gives it more of a sense of "these are actual other people who had lives before they met me on Ft. Joy"

I only scratched the surface I'm only 5 hours in but I can already tell it's going to make my GOTY list for sure. The characters are all so likeable especially Fane. The narrator and voice actors are really helping me to immerse myself into the game which is a big plus compared to the first game. No surprise the reviews are that good it's so hard to not like this game if you only have a tiny bit of interest in RPGs. It has a chance to make even my Top 5 best RPGs of all-time and I played alot of them. Larian and Cdproject are making me excited what the future holds for the Rpg market.

FWIW, the voice acting they added to the first game in the expanded edition is really good. Maybe not quite at the same level as the voice acting in OS2 but impressive nonetheless.

I wonder if there will be a mod that address that. My main gripe is that I can't build my party like I want, but i suppose that gives it more of a sense of "these are actual other people who had lives before they met me on Ft. Joy"

You get free, full party respecs in Act 2 but that is a fair bit into the game obviously.

Top Bottom