• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

Subscribed.

I miss my MCR and all the bands of those years, but this "new wave" you guys posted ain't bad at all.

Still, anything new closer in style to MCR?

Man those early MCR albums were raw, I don't know that you'll find anything like it today. There was some organized chaos in that sound they created.

I guess there is some discrepancy in here about emo, post punk, and hardcore punk. I'd throw it all under the same umbrella, but 20 years ago I'd probably have been more strict with my genre classifications, but I'm too old to care now and my "emo" station on Pandora has Senses Fail, MCR, and The Used as the station seeds. Makes for great workout music

olympia

Anybody here like Skramz? Hot Cross, Orchid, Sateia, Raein? I wish I saw Raein when they were in America. I saw Loma Prieta a while back and it was awesome.

kiguel182

Haha I'm not sure what I would have thought if I'd heard that first, so out of interest do you prefer that EP or the full length? AFAIK the EP was just a one off and they played some live shows with the spoken word guy.

I've always heard Fugazi etc. referred to as post-hardcore, at the end of the day it all stems from punk/hardcore and the waters can get a little muddy, more people talking about Fugazi and the like is great though IMO.

When I heard the EP I didn't get all the hype. It's the first record on Spotify so I just assumed that's what they sounded like.

I like Whenever, If ever way more. But it took some time to get into because of the vocals and some of the lyrics.

US we have American Football but no Cap'n Jazz.

I waited for years for Shellac to show up now my most requested is definitely Cap'n Jazz

We have American Football AND Cap'n Jazz. But on the downside there's tons of Drive Trough Records stuff missing. No Midtown sucks.

kiguel182

Such a fine line between a lot of Emo and Pop Punk.

Yeah, there's a lot of crossover.

The way I solve it is by talking about those bands when it comes to emo and pop-punk discussion. They fit both description at times since pop-punk as a genre is pretty weirdly defined at times.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Seriously can't get over this Hotelier - Home, Like Noplace is There album.

I've listened to it so many times these past few days and it is not getting old.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Have you listened to it while reading the lyrics? It's the best.

I haven't yet. I've mostly been listening to it at work, so I can't dedicate my full attention to it, but from what I've caught of the lyrics when I do pay attention, they seem really great. I'll definitely make an effort to do that sometime soon.
Listening to the album again right now actually. I seriously can't stop listening to it. I can't remember the last time I've been so addicted to a single album like this.

Here is a good band: A Radio With Guts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4H253ig4Q4

They had so much potential but only played 3 shows and disbanded quickly. But, after all, it's just the Connie Dungs under a different name.

Seriously can't get over this Hotelier - Home, Like Noplace is There album.

I've listened to it so many times these past few days and it is not getting old.

I know! I just found out about it in the other thread. The second track is my favorite, I think.

You know, I have a lot of Itunes money. I am going to do them a solid and buy the record.

Jets to Brazil is the only band I've ever liked that were considered emo, and their most "emo" record (Perfecting Loneliness) is pretty trash. Orange Rhyming Dictionary is pretty brilliant, though.

Symphonia

Banned
Such a fine line between a lot of Emo and Pop Punk.
Emo is called emo because of the lyrical content and context of the song. It's not defined by how the music actually sounds. With that said, though, emo does branch off based purely on how it sounds. For example, screamo. Stuff like Bullet For My Valentine and, though I hate to say it because I love them, Funeral For A Friend. Alkaline Trio have very few songs with 'emo' lyrics, but their sound is very similar to blink-182, who are pop punk, so I've always categorised Alkaline Trio under that genre.

What's everyone stance on pop punk, anyway?

nowarning

Emo is called emo because of the lyrical content and context of the song. It's not defined by how the music actually sounds. With that said, though, emo does branch off based purely on how it sounds. For example, screamo. Stuff like Bullet For My Valentine and, though I hate to say it because I love them, Funeral For A Friend. Alkaline Trio have very few songs with 'emo' lyrics, but their sound is very similar to blink-182, who are pop punk, so I've always categorised Alkaline Trio under that genre.

What's everyone stance on pop punk, anyway?

Emo definitely has a sound, obviously the lyrics are a big part, but it definitely has it's own sound, if we use that definition then every band ever is probably emo. I don't know if you're saying BFMV and FFAF are screamo bands but they're really not! Saetia are usually the first band mentioned when people talk about screamo, their retrospective is probably on Spotify/YouTube so check it out if you wish.

I think people are getting confused because all of that early/mid 2000's stuff hyped up by the media is not really emo, it's probably more pop punk/post-hardcore/whatever but Kerrang! and AP decided to call it emo and it stuck which is unfortunate because it's not really the same thing at all. The only reason bands of that ilk get called emo is because what was fast becoming a popular and trendy scene at the time needed a name, I don't know if you've ever read Kerrang! but they don't have a clue about anything so I certainly wouldn't take their word for it.

The first post in this thread could do with updating because there's only Plaids and Human Hands that hit the mark.

I mean, listen to stuff like Mineral, Christie Front Drive, Sunny Day Real Estate, The Blue Period, Empire! Empire! (I was a lonely estate) and then listen to My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, The Used etc. it really isn't the same thing.

Pop Punk is not really my thing, there's a few bands I like though. The latest Lifetime record was more Pop Punk than their previous stuff and I really enjoyed it.

Edit: Sorry if I come off as an asshole but that's really not my intention, it's one of my favorite genres of music and I think it's awesome that we can discuss it in this thread

kiguel182

I always found funny how Fall Out Boy called out people when they called them emo by mentioning the actual emo bands.

Also, I've seen that scene being called glam-emo and I think it's kind of appropriate or at least gives it a term because those bands really ranged from pop-punk to different genres.

Also, I really love pop-punk. The new wave of the genre has bands like The Wonder Years and Fireworks doing great.

Kawl_USC

Have been listening to the Hotelier album a shit ton the past two months.

So to jump in with is this emo or pop punk or post hardcore or or or...

What would you guys consider Modern Baseball and the Front Bottoms?

I feel more confident saying Tigers Jaw is pretty definitely emo...right?

Any ways regardless of where you draw the distinction, between these bands and the Hotelier I've been on a huge emo/pop punk kick for the past year or two.

Danchi

Rites of Spring - Deeper than Inside: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbbdjzWbgGM
Current - Leech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZSC5irAjjI
Heroin - Head Cold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLXZ5oZyzo8
Boys Life - Fire Engine Red: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_c1vZE_dAI

I think my problem with a lot of these newer American bands getting mentioned (and by "problem" I'm talking about my own taste here) is that they are entirely divorced from the punk/hardcore music that emo is linked with. I like a lot of the indie/emo stuff that you see towards the latter end of the 90s (see my last link), but, even then, I don't think that stuff is a big influence on Tigres Jaw, Modern Baseball, The Hotelier etc. Maybe they got together and talked about how much they liked those bands, but pretty early on in rehearsal they realised they liked 90s college rock like Superchunk or Brand New/Taking Back Sunday and their brand of alt rock even more so.

And there's nothing wrong with any of that.

I think my problem with a lot of these newer American bands getting mentioned (and by "problem" I'm talking about my own taste here) is that they are entirely divorced from the punk/hardcore music that emo is linked with. I like a lot of the indie/emo stuff that you see towards the latter end of the 90s (see my last link), but, even then, I don't think that stuff is a big influence on Tigres Jaw, Modern Baseball, The Hotelier etc. Maybe they got together and talked about how much they liked those bands, but pretty early on in rehearsal they realised they liked 90s college rock like Superchunk or Brand New/Taking Back Sunday and their brand of alt rock even more so.

And there's nothing wrong with any of that.

pretty much. The post-hardcore tinged stuff is the best, imo.

would like to hear more modern emo in this vein:

The Casket Lottery - Trust Nolan

also how about some Mock Orange?

Mock Orange - We Work

Cursive and pretty much everything Tim Kasher's ever done. I've grown out of most emo stuff but my love for Kasher will never die.

Also Thursday, good pick OP.

huxley00

I always found funny how Fall Out Boy called out people when they called them emo by mentioning the actual emo bands.

Also, I've seen that scene being called glam-emo and I think it's kind of appropriate or at least gives it a term because those bands really ranged from pop-punk to different genres.

Also, I really love pop-punk. The new wave of the genre has bands like The Wonder Years and Fireworks doing great.

I'll have to check them out. I went to a few Starting Line shows back in the day, always enjoyed them.

Danchi

Latterman crossed with Cap'n Jazz (i.e. gruff gang vocals over twiddly guitars) was everywhere maybe 5/6 years back. Grown Ups, Castevet, tonnes of stuff in that "get rad" group that was popular on Last.fm at the time.

Not sure if you guys would consider these bands as emo (or pop punk or alternative or folk, not so sure about all the different music genres) but check out:

Jacks Broken Heart - Loved and Lost Everything
Pentimento - Conscience (consequence)
Okkervil River - Lost Coastlines
The Rural Alberta Advantage - Terrified
Straylight Run - Existentialism on Prom Night
Wind in Sails - Deep Down
Benton Falls - Sad like winter leaves, No Hero
The National - I need my girl
Noah Gunderson - Liberator, boathouse, Family

kiguel182

Thanks to this thread I've been listening to a ton of Sorority Noise. The lyrics are little too over-dramatic at times (not a fan of someone saying they are going to kill themselves) but I love how they merged some 90's pop-punk riffs with this whole emo revival scene. I'm really liking it.

zerotol

Banned
Is it bad that I think Dear You's my favourite Jawbreaker album? It has so many great songs. Accident Prone, Sluttering, I Love You So Much It's Killing Us Both, Jet Black...you know what the whole thing is great. I don't care if it's supposedly overproduced.

Everybody I knew at the time hated Dear You when it came out. There was a huge backlash towards Jawbreaker because of that album. There were people that disregarded it because it was on a major label and there were people that hated it because it sounded too different from 24 hour. It was panned by most people that I knew who were fans. I didn't like it either, tho It has grown on me since. That album pretty much sunk Jawbreaker. I watched the last show they ever played and realized they were done. Looking back on it, I guess Dear you could be considered ahead of its time, but they payed a heavy price for it...

huxley00

I was revisiting a few older albums after reading this thread. I just can't get over how good of an album Brand New - Deje Entendu is, it still holds up so well.

Top Bottom