• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quarantine Mafia |OT| The Contagion is spreading.

Kawl_USC

Both. Triple Voting scum is a HUGE power, but it should also be a decent way to figure out that they are scum based on voting patterns. However, I feel like the chance of it being scum is low, so while it's good to consider, I'm hoping it's not the result.

Do you think we should be giving it to some one who we put as top town ( which for day 1 is not exactly a high bar) or to some one who's decision making we can trust as the game progresses? Some players at times play a bit erratic...I'd prefer players who have shown this behavior to not be in the running for the triple vote, personally.

Karkador

Banned
The Director will most probably .....fuuuuu

BLLRHAHLAHRLAHRLHARLAHR

not stay in this game

GREEEEHHHRHREUHURERAHIOHA;LDFHA;LSKDF

for very long, FUCK

does this look bad to anyone?

Y_7PX9.gif

Natiko

Banned
so cool, we don't have answers to those questions. with both of those in the air, do you think its positive or negative utility?

There's no way of knowing that currently Karl. If it goes to someone that either now or in the future is not part of town then it is a negative. If it goes to someone that is town and remains town until the game ends or they die then it is a positive. If you want to play the odds game I would guess that less than 50% of the players fit into that second category so overall probably negative with the chance at being positive if we select correctly.

CCS

Banned
Do you think we should be giving it to some one who we put as top town ( which for day 1 is not exactly a high bar) or to some one who's decision making we can trust as the game progresses? Some players at times play a bit erratic...I'd prefer players who have shown this behavior to not be in the running for the triple vote, personally.

So I can count on your support then? :p

Ourobolus

Banned

The latter.

And since I have decided to go with normal, analytical Ouro instead of shitposting Ouro, I feel like everyone should choose me. :p

Kawl_USC

There's no way of knowing that currently Karl. If it goes to someone that either now or in the future is not part of town then it is a negative. If it goes to someone that is town and remains town until the game ends or they die then it is a positive. If you want to play the odds game I would guess that less than 50% of the players fit into that second category so overall probably negative with the chance at being positive if we select correctly.

Yes, I'm asking you to assign what you feel are reasonable probabilities to the positive and negative outcomes and weight the benefit and the loss of each of those options to determine if you believe in your heart of hearts deep down whether this role is more likely to help or hurt us.

I'm fully aware that it's impossible to have a perfect answer to this, but I like forcing people to take positions and defend them. Show me what you got.

franconp

The Director will most probably .....fuuuuu

BLLRHAHLAHRLAHRLHARLAHR

not stay in this game

GREEEEHHHRHREUHURERAHIOHA;LDFHA;LSKDF

for very long, FUCK

does this look bad to anyone?

Y_7PX9.gif

How likely is that Kark is infected and he had to post like this as a condition of his role? I would say almost none but I lose nothing asking.

Natiko

Banned
Yes, I'm asking you to assign what you feel are reasonable probabilities to the positive and negative outcomes and weight the benefit and the loss of each of those options to determine if you believe in your heart of hearts deep down whether this role is more likely to help or hurt us.

I'm fully aware that it's impossible to have a perfect answer to this, but I like forcing people to take positions and defend them. Show me what you got.

I just told you I feel there is a less than 50% chance of it being a positive.

Kawl_USC

Being analytical won't help us if you join the scum team.

Analytical Player: Helpful for town as town if director, bad if scum or become scum.

Nonanyalytical Player: Not helpful for town as town if director, not helpful if scum or become scum.

hmmmmmm which one should we taaaaaaake

Ourobolus

Banned
Being analytical won't help us if you join the scum team.

If I suddenly change my tune, sure it would. But again, we don't know how any of this shit works yet.

If we are assuming blanket recruitment, then yes, the Director could become scum. But we also have to consider other things, like say, a Doctor - what use does that have to scum, and would they be able to be infected?

I have no idea, so let's table that.

Natiko

Banned
Analytical Player: Helpful for town as town if director, bad if scum or become scum.

Nonanyalytical Player: Not helpful for town as town if director, not helpful if scum or become scum.

Are you claiming I'm not analytical? I never said being analytical is a bad thing, I said it will not prevent the director from becoming scum. I outlined multiple times already that letting the director be on the scum team is the worst case scenario for this role. Hence why I think it's important we select someone with that in mind.

franconp

Also, let's be real. The one who gets elected day one will be most likely lynched day two, day 3 tops.

The one who is elected Director will be the main target of the infected and we will have doubts if he is town or scum while he is alive. We will kill him quick to avoid giving scum so much power. I think it's like the neighbours situation in the Animal Crossing game but even worse.

Verelios

Also, let's be real. The one who gets elected day one will be most likely lynched day two, day 3 tops.

The one who is elected Director will be the main target of the infected and we will have doubts if he is town or scum while he is alive. We will kill him quick to avoid giving scum so much power. I think it's like the neighbours situation in the Animal Crossing game but even worse.
Obviously we're all thinking that, it's just that whoever gets chosen as Director will probably be able to sway off suspicion for a couple days (on account of their usability) and it's not worth thinking of at the moment.

Kawl_USC

Are you claiming I'm not analytical? I never said being analytical is a bad thing, I said it will not prevent the director from becoming scum. I outlined multiple times already that letting the director be on the scum team is the worst case scenario for this role. Hence why I think it's important we select someone with that in mind.

No that was in response to you saying having a director who is analytical doesn't help if they are scum. I'm saying at the very least does help if they are town, which is not the case for a non analytical player being selected.

Was not making acomment on your analyticalness one way or the other.

Kawl_USC

Kawl I throw it back to you, what do you think of the Director role? Positive or negative utility?

My thoughts line up pretty well with yours. I think that even in a game that didn't seem to have a convert/recruit theme, i'm on the fence as to whether it would be a positive utility. Just because you are town doesn't mean that you make wise votes.

With the added fact that we are dealing with a contagion theme, I'm pretty firm in believing it is negative utility, unless more facts come up (ie conversion immunity or something else).

Banned

Will the director even be able to be infected? I don't think so. Even if they do die quickly this is why it's important to vote for someone who we know will make the best use of the voting ability. A person who makes good judgements of others.

No?

franconp

Obviously we're all thinking that, it's just that whoever gets chosen as Director will probably be able to sway off suspicion for a couple days (on account of their usability) and it's not worth thinking of at the moment.

How can they sway off suspicion? We all know that he will the Director so he will be suspected since the start of day 2. A Doctor could protect him but we would never know if the doctor doesn't claim and that would be a bad idea.

Faddy

Banned

Do you see yourself as nonanalytical or analytical player?

Ourobolus

Banned
My thoughts line up pretty well with yours. I think that even in a game that didn't seem to have a convert/recruit theme, i'm on the fence as to whether it would be a positive utility. Just because you are town doesn't mean that you make wise votes.

With the added fact that we are dealing with a contagion theme, I'm pretty firm in believing it is negative utility, unless more facts come up (ie conversion immunity or something else).

I mean, that's great and all, but we have to choose a Director today, before we get any more info. We need to select someone that we think can make good decisions, and then hope for the best. If they end up being scum, hopefully we can determine some anomaly that lets us realize that they are scum. Scum having 3 votes and being in such a prominent role should allow us to figure it out, hopefully.

Verelios

How can they sway off suspicion? We all know that he will the Director so he will be suspected since the start of day 2. A Doctor could protect him but we would never know if the doctor doesn't claim and that would be a bad idea.
Do you really think there won't be a contingent of people hesitant to lynch the director? Added on to their three votes then it's entirely plausible for them to make the situation dubious enough no one wants to mislynch.

Sawneeks

Banned

Exactly.

And while I've been in full shitposting-with-a-side-of-serious mode, if I'm being fully honest I do not want to be Director. It sounds fun but I don't trust my reads well enough for that kinda of power yet at the same time I trust the rest of you even less so I would feel better if I received it until I get a better read on people.

Also considering the possible infection mechanic whoever becomes Director is also being a target so when deciding on who to vote I need to weigh that as well. Like Ouro, he's a good Town player and could probably use the 3-vote power well but if he became Director he will likely be killed/infected very early. Therefore I'd rather want to give Director to someone else I sort-of trust to make good choices but also not to the person I want to keep around as a strong Town force.

franconp

Do you really think there won't be a contingent of people hesitant to lynch the director? Added on to their three votes then it's entirely plausible for them to make the situation dubious enough no one wants to mislynch.

Why would they be hesitant? The Director is a big role for the infected as they gain a lot of votes quickly but not a big role for town (at least at the start of the game). If there is only one infected as we thought that should mean that at day two town will have 18 votes (if there a night kill 17) vs 4 votes of the infected (if the Director is infected by patient 0). The difference is to big to gain a leverage to the infected. But that difference will be less as the game progress and the Director will be more important so we will be forced to kill him to make sure.

So why wait further in the game when it will be more difficult and not as soon as he is elected? The way I see it it's not even a choice. The one who is selected will be lynched by night 3 at most.

Ourobolus

Banned
Exactly.

And while I've been in full shitposting-with-a-side-of-serious mode, if I'm being fully honest I do not want to be Director. It sounds fun but I don't trust my reads well enough for that kinda of power yet at the same time I trust the rest of you even less so I would feel better if I received it until I get a better read on people.

Also considering the possible infection mechanic whoever becomes Director is also being a target so when deciding on who to vote I need to weigh that as well. Like Ouro, he's a good Town player and could probably use the 3-vote power well but if he became Director he will likely be killed/infected very early. Therefore I'd rather want to give Director to someone else I sort-of trust to make good choices but also not to the person I want to keep around as a strong Town force.

I am assuming we have a doctor, especially with the mention of a cure in the flavor.

If not a doctor, then at least something like one.

Kawl_USC

I mean, that's great and all, but we have to choose a Director today, before we get any more info. We need to select someone that we think can make good decisions, and then hope for the best. If they end up being scum, hopefully we can determine some anomaly that lets us realize that they are scum. Scum having 3 votes and being in such a prominent role should allow us to figure it out, hopefully.

Sorry, the implied statement there is that I would be pushing for an early director lynch unless that additional info comes out (or you know someone else is being scummy as fuck).

My ideal director candidate is someone who I trust to be analytical at the very least, but not someone who I think is a strong enough player that I want them around end game.

Fat4all

Banned
I am assuming we have a doctor, especially with the mention of a cure in the flavor.

If not a doctor, then at least something like one.

Maybe someone can cure with limited uses, that would make sense since it seems like the infected start with low numbers (supposedly).

Ourobolus

Banned
The gist of my position is that a Triple Voter is a luxury, not a balancing act. Having one for Town would be great, but even if that person is lynched, hopefully we can make use of it before they are killed.

Burbeting

Banned
At least my vote will follow these guidelines:

1. Is the player in your town reads? If yes, proceed.
2. Do you think the player will be able to have a positive impact on the game? Are they contributive, do they think things through? Or do they vote irrationally? If they have a positive impact, proceed.
3. Do you think it's plausible the player will get infected N1 if they are chosen as director. If no, proceed, if yes, think carefully before placing a vote.

Most beneficial situation would be to choose a town read director who also is smart with their votes/contributions. That third part is little iffy, since we still work with very little information in terms of game mechanics.

Karkador

Banned
Alright, look, I'm the Infected, and I'm roleclaiming today in a bid to be cured and return to Town, but I need the Director power for this plan to work.

Why am I roleclaiming as the lone Infected? Because I realized this:

I'm going to infect a random person. I have no control over who I'm adding to my team (I think this is done so that I'm not just building some mafia supergroup of the best, scummiest Gafia players). This is how the game works, and it's why we're voting for a Director right now - it means they dont' just auto-join the mafia team.

But I think I see a way out for me, and a benefit for Town.

How?

- Tonight, I'll add a random player to Infected. Notice that in the "feral" state, I actually don't get to communicate with them, so I don't actually learn who they are for a night. They will kill someone (this is when the NK happens), and likely target me. This is how I noticed my "out'.

- As Director, I have a higher chance of being protected or cured or something, aka converted to non-Infected/Town, which I'm pretty confident is a thing in this game.

- So I get cured, switched to Town, and then Town doesn't have to worry about the Director falling into mafia for the rest of the game.

Look, it's crazy, maybe a bit exploit-y, cheesing the game a little, but this is the best solution I see to this problem right now. Otherwise, lol, I'm dead - but Infected will live on.

Ourobolus

Banned
3. Do you think it's plausible the player will get infected N1 if they are chosen as director. If no, proceed, if yes, think carefully before placing a vote.

This is my main point of contention - depending on the game and how it is playing out, scum may choose to pick someone who is quiet, or someone that is active.

Add on to that the fact that D1 we don't have any lynch votes to work with and I don't think we'll be able to conclude anything until much later.

Ourobolus

Banned
Alright, look, I'm the Infected, and I'm roleclaiming today in a bid to be cured and return to Town, but I need the Director power for this plan to work.

Why am I roleclaiming as the lone Infected? Because I realized this:

I'm going to infect a random person. I have no control over who I'm adding to my team (I think this is done so that I'm not just building some mafia supergroup of the best, scummiest Gafia players). This is how the game works, and it's why we're voting for a Director right now - it means they dont' just auto-join the mafia team.

But I think I see a way out for me, and a benefit for Town.

How?

- Tonight, I'll add a random player to Infected. Notice that in the "feral" state, I actually don't get to communicate with them, so I don't actually learn who they are for a night. They will kill someone (this is when the NK happens), and likely target me. This is how I noticed my "out'.

- As Director, I have a higher chance of being protected or cured or something, aka converted to non-Infected/Town, which I'm pretty confident is a thing in this game.

- So I get cured, switched to Town, and then Town doesn't have to worry about the Director falling into mafia for the rest of the game.

Look, it's crazy, maybe a bit exploit-y, cheesing the game a little, but this is the best solution I see to this problem right now. Otherwise, lol, I'm dead - but Infected will live on.

Uhh...what? Are you not going against your win condition here?

This sounds entirely too plausible and it bothers me

Burbeting

Banned
I don't know what to think about Kark's post. Would scum claim? Can the recruiter really be cured? Seems game-breaking.

Or is this some mad karkadorian scheme.

Ourobolus

Banned
Ok, wait a sec.

I'm going to make an assumption here -

If you are already infected (i.e., you've spent a day as infected), then I feel like you shouldn't be cured, because then you'd be a townie and have slightly more knowledge than the rest of town, which seems antithetical to how the game works.

Kark I finally had blocked NX out of my mind what are you doing

Verelios

Why would they be hesitant? The Director is a big role for the infected as they gain a lot of votes quickly but not a big role for town (at least at the start of the game). If there is only one infected as we thought that should mean that at day two town will have 18 votes (if there a night kill 17) vs 4 votes of the infected (if the Director is infected by patient 0). The difference is to big to gain a leverage to the infected. But that difference will be less as the game progress and the Director will be more important so we will be forced to kill him to make sure.

So why wait further in the game when it will be more difficult and not as soon as he is elected? The way I see it it's not even a choice. The one who is selected will be lynched by night 3 at most.
Fair enough, I guess we'll see in the coming days.

Top Bottom