• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 7, GT Sport, Project Cars 2. What are the biggest differences?

Theorry

In a span of 3 weeks we get 3 great racing games probably. But i have no idea what sets them apart and it feels abit overwhelming now they all release at the same time. They all have a big career mode right? And weather?, Same ammount of tracks and cars?

Project Cars looks very nice with alot of classes but very skeptical about the handling still coming from Project Cars 1 and the performance on base consoles. GT and Forza are more a certain thing with that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Good thread timing - curious about this too. Just read the latest on the PCars 2 thread and it does look like it has a ton of options, and hopefully plays better with a controller.

I have a 4K TV and a decent gaming PC so I could get PCars or GTsport on PS pro, or Forza 7 on xbox (and play 1080p on TV and 1440p on PC). Just want to get a feel for the differences. Don’t intend to play much online because nothing is more rage inducing than dicks up my ass spinning me around in corners

I feel like GTS will disappoint people with it's content, I just glossed over various threads and Forza 7 seems to be the package, overall.

thuGG_pl

The biggest difference is that PC2 aspires to be a real simulator.
From the early impressions it's getting close to sims like AC, iR but not yet there.

AristoCat

To put it short

GT Sport is an esport take on racing with great visuals but maybe a bit shy on content (140 cars 17 tracks 28 layouts )

Pcars 2 is a classic sim racer focusing on the driving with great track sélection (180 cars and 52 tracks + layouts) edit : apparently esport also and VR on PC.

Forza 7 is an orgy of cars (700 cars 32 tracks 100+ layouts)

Edit2 : to me Pcars 2 and FM7 are really interesting and must buy , pc2 for using my wheel setup and FM7 for my car collecting ocd, but for the first time I'm not interested in GT though.

GT looks the best.

PCars maybe has the most content?

Forza is the best overall.

Dont think gt will be able to hold a candle to Forza graphics wise this time
those 4k feeds have been jawdropping

If your looking at Project cars get it on pc...you have better wheel support and vr support will be really good

thuGG_pl

To put it short

GT Sport is an esport take on racing with great visuals but maybe a bit shy on content (140 cars 16 tracks )

Pcars 2 is a classic sim racer focusing on the driving with great track sélection (180 cars and many tracks + layout)

PC2 also also takes esport seriously with it's features.

hobdal

Neo Member
I think people will be a bit disappointed with GTS if they expect a standard Gran Turismo with a meaty single player mode.

Project Cars 2 is a bit more serious simitation than the other 2 I think. And I'm pretty sure there was a preview of it recently saying it plays really well with a controller out the box. IGN maybe? I can't remember.

Forza 7 I have no idea about. Haven't played one since 4 and don't have an Xb 1.

fresquito

GTSports is oriented at people that like racing online, don't care about SP and love car photos. Also people that don't read too much and base their purchase on brand alone.

Forza 7 is oriented at people that like some fast thrills and collecting cars. Doesn't seem too focused, but it's covering all fronts.

Project CARS 2 is oriented at motorsports fans that want to mimic what they like watching to the minute detail. It's a deeper sim than the other two.

Just watched this video. GT defintely does not look the best. In replays maybe.

Forza isn't going to look better than that on XB1, GT has an extra half teraflop to play with. It has a better lighting model too.

PCars will be in the mix graphically, but rock solid performance might be questionable.

Forza 7 will have trademark bulletproof performance, and look very nice overall, especially on Scorpio / PC. Track count, options and career mode etc are all good too.

So yeah, my pick is Forza for best racer this holiday!

spuckthew

I'm a sucker and already pre-purchased Forza 7 from the Windows Store because I convinced my dad to give me the money for the Ultimate Edition for my birthday. I also loved Forza 4 with my Fanatec GT2 wheel and haven't played a Forza game since (well, I did try Apex for like an hour and it seemed to play well, albeit wheel support didn't exist at the time during the beta).

I've played a lot of R3E and Assetto Corsa in recent years so I am a bit concerned that I won't enjoy driving in Forza 7 as much as I did in Forza 4 (it's "simcade" at the end of the day), but the nostalgia is super strong in me so I couldn't resist. Hope it turns out good!

fresquito

Forza isn't going to look better than that on XB1, GT has an extra half teraflop to play with. It has a better lighting model too.

PCars will be in the mix graphically, but rock solid performance might be questionable.

Forza 7 will have trademark bulletproof performance, and look very nice overall, especially on Scorpio / PC. Track count, options and career mode etc are all good too.

So yeah, my pick is Forza for best racer this holiday!
It's rock solid on my PC...

I'm gonna wait and see. I need to try them all out with a wheel to give them a fair chance.

I'm somewhat of a GT fanboy so I really want GTS to be good, but I'm really skeptical about this one. I already have iRacing for my online races and I don't think GTS can come close to that experience.

I won't mind putting in hundreds of hours in Forza/PC if they have a solid career mode.

The beta was not too bad....certainly wont knock your socks off but if your a GT fan you will enjoy it i think

Pepto

Banned
Project Cars 2 has the most tracks.

Forza 7 has the most cars.

GT Sport has the most wasted development resources.

Kysen

Pcars covers everything especially on pc. Better sim than the competition, dynamic TOD/weather, multiple disciplines, native vr support plus higher resolutions. It’s a no brainer decision for me this time around even though I have access to all 3 games.

anddo0

GT Sport- E-sports games, DLC tracks? only 16 at launch... Will probably have the best driving physics. Best graphics on console XB1/PS4 (One X version of Forza might look better, but that's a given.)

Forza- All around car and track selection..

PC2- The most in-depth career mode, features and tracks.

It's rock solid on my PC...

PC1 is one of the most demanding games on PC. I think most people will struggle to hit a consistent 60fps with PC2.. Console versions, just hope it doesn't rain.

fresquito

Pcars covers everything especially on pc. Better sim than the competition, dynamic TOD/weather, multiple disciplines, native vr support plus higher resolutions. It’s a no brainer decision for me this time around even though I have access to all 3 games.
Saying dynamic weather and ToD is shooting far too short. Weather is physics based, not only visual. Basically puddles are real and have real consequences to driving. ToD is there, but also you can set time of the year and it will vary not only temps, but also angle and intensity of the lighting and the season.

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxK2UXdPdG4

I'm gonna buy all three. Every game has great imo. To me personally : GT has the best lighting engine and excellent car models, PC great physics, weather looks great, Forza excellent framerate, loads of cars and Maple Valley :D

If they combined the cars of Forza, the lighting of GT and the physics of PC, one game would be sufficient

anddo0

Hope all three have a locked 60fps.

Depends on the platform

I'm gonna buy all three. Every game has great imo. To me personally : GT has the best lighting engine and excellent car models, PC great physics, weather looks great, Forza excellent framerate, loads of cars and Maple Valley :D

If they combined the cars of Forza, the lighting of GT and the physics of PC, one game would be sufficient

Same boat.. All three (Forza and PC2 on PC)
I'm hoping Newegg has a deal on the Ultimate edition of Forza 7 like they did with Horizon 3.

xrnzaaas

Forza is about how many cars you can own, GT is about how good your cars can look and Project CARS is about being a proper racing driver. ;) My top priority for this year is pCARS 2, then I'll have some fun with Forza 7 and I won't touch GTS until it receives a proper singleplayer mode as a patch or an expansion.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
GTSports is oriented at people that like racing online, don't care about SP and love car photos. Also people that don't read too much and base their purchase on brand alone.

Forza 7 is oriented at people that like some fast thrills and collecting cars. Doesn't seem too focused, but it's covering all fronts.

Project CARS 2 is oriented at motorsports fans that want to mimic what they like watching to the minute detail. It's a deeper sim than the other two.

I'm a motorsport fan that likes fast thrills, collecting cars, and taking car photos :p

I think it comes down to the feel for me. I don’t want too simmy - but I do want some real tracks (favourites are Suzuka, Monza and Laguna Seca)

Depends on the platform

Same boat.. All three (Forza and PC2 on PC)
I'm hoping Newegg has a deal on the Ultimate edition of Forza 7 like they did with Horizon 3.

Is the Ultimate Edition worth it? In Forza Horizon the content was great. In Forza 6 were there extra tracks too?

Dont think gt will be able to hold a candle to Forza graphics wise this time
those 4k feeds have been jawdropping

If your looking at Project cars get it on pc...you have better wheel support and vr support will be really good

From what I've seen GTS looks the best when NOT racing (e.g. photomode, scapes). But seeing direct feed gameplay of all the games in high resolution, I would say GTS is the worst looking in actual gameplay. It still looks fantastic, but not as good as the others.

anddo0

Is the Ultimate Edition worth it? In Forza Horizon the content was great. In Forza 6 were there extra tracks too?

VIP pass, car pass are totally worth it. Both add value to the game.

I don't remember tracks being part of the Ultimate edtion. I think tracks will be side dlc for sure.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I'm a motorsport fan that likes fast thrills, collecting cars, and taking car photos :p

I think it comes down to the feel for me. I don’t want too simmy - but I do want some real tracks (favourites are Suzuka, Monza and Laguna Seca)

Forza Motorsport 7 is probably the one for you.

pCars is probably the most "race centric" of the games, being that the career is almost entirely about how well setup you car is and how good a driver you are.
Collecting cars isnt even a thing, pick a discipline pick and choose a car race...repeat.

Forza has the whole collecting cars aspect which i too love to do.
Photomode and now ForzaVista on all tracks....something ive been begging for since ForzaVista(then AutoVista) was introduced.
A shit ton of cars to collect

GT Sport seems like a good middle ground between Forza and pCars but doesnt do anything better.

Id say if you arent a hard racer and dont have a PC or Xbox then GT Sport is the go to.
Otherwise Forza 7 is my pick as ive long stopped Sim racing and after getting my ass beat with pCars even after a lot of tweaking i just dont feel like struggling with another sim racer till i get a really good wheel setup.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Form what i've seen so far.

I reckon GT Sport will excel on the visuals and multiplayer with it's ties to FIA. Project Cars 2 and Forza 7 seems to have a better single player campaign, variable weather, more cars and tracks.

If you're only wanting to buy one of the three i'd wait for the reviews.

Gran Turismo Sport is pretty much just brand at this point (and believe me, it hurts me to say this).

Forza 7 is a really complete package that's a better game than it is a good simulator, but the handling isn't all THAT bad either. The game focuses on car count while maintaining a very high level of model quality throughout, and the campaign is built around collecting cars. If you want a successor to what Gran Turismo used to be, this is your game.

Project CARS 2, definitely my preferred choice out of the three. Fantastic driving simulator that focuses on realistically simulating pretty much every aspect that influences the handling of the car. The campaign is built more around simulating motorsport events than car collection, and it's pretty complete in terms of content. There's plenty of cars (not as many as Forza) all of them modeled with insane attention to detail, especially in the mechanical components. Yes, even the ones you don't normally see. It's also got the most real-life tracks and they are beautifully made.

In a nutshell: If you want what Gran Turismo should be today but isn't, Forza 7 is your choice. If you want the most advanced motorsport simulation, the most realistic handling and the best graphics, go for Project CARS 2. I would get both tbh.

Full disclosure: I helped fund the original Project CARS (totally would have funded PCARS 2 but sadly I missed the boat), and I ended up making a pretty good profit off the investment too even though that's not why I invested in its development.

Caayn

Ultimate edition will only include new cars and even then not even all new cars will be included. Tracks and other content, such as the new areas in Horizon, are never included in the Ultimate edition.

Forza 7 is more of the same with a few new bells and whistles (not that this is a bad thing at all).

PCARS 2 is probably the one where we'd have to wait for reviews on. The original was great on paper, but the bad UI, poor default car setups (some cars were unplayable) to the numerous glitches and bugs tainted my experience. I've been following the successor and some of the issues look like they're still there. The replays in almost every video I've seen have shadow cascading and pop in issues. And the open wheelers still seem awful to drive. The track list is 12/10 easily (although I personally spend my time with tracks I know) and the car list is fantastic as well.

GTSport: The game that I was very down on from the start. It has easily the worst track list and the car list could use more additions. There is no traditional simulation mode but the offline Arcade mode seems to have custom races so if that has a lot of options, then this should be good enough. The online could/should be the best of the 3 with the Safety/Driver ratings. It was the best online racing experience ever for me while playing the beta (which is what made me excited about the game). Photomode and replays are a different league to the others, and stuff like Scapes and the museum will add the off the track enjoyment. It also has a robust Livery Editor which is great. It has overall better audio than PCARS imo.

It's hard to choose just one to be honest (they compliment each other nicely) but I'll be starting with GTSport. My tainted PCARS experience along side the fact GT has the best community is what convinced me. If I had the cash I would've gotten PCARS 2 as well ( I will eventually).

Behlel

I found funny that now that forza have the content it's the big deal and when GT5 and 6 had the content the people complaint that they had to focus on the quality of the whole package and the driving simulation instead of 1000 cars and a career made of collecting car.
Now that they have done what was asked they got it wrong another time lol

To put it short

GT Sport is an esport take on racing with great visuals but maybe a bit shy on content (140 cars 16 tracks )

Pcars 2 is a classic sim racer focusing on the driving with great track sélection (180 cars and many tracks + layouts)

Forza 7 is an orgy of cars (700 cars 32 tracks 100+ layouts)

GT Sport has 17 Locations with 28 Layouts, so 28 tracks really. Still the least amount out of the 3 games though.

Funny that I'm actually looking forward to GT more than the others, despite the lack of content (when compared to the others anyway ) as I'm looking forward to the 100 + Challenges and events that focus on improving your driving skills, which is something different from the normal stuff we get in every racing game. I'm sure all 3 will be great for different reasons though.

Also GT's driving physics / handling ect are always top quality.

I found funny that now that forza have the content it's the big deal and when GT5 and 6 had the content the people complaint that they had to focus on the quality of the whole package and the driving simulation instead of 1000 cars and a career made of collecting car.

But Forza has the content and the quality. The previous GT games didn't, that's the point. Having the game half full of PS2 cars was dumb. That's before we get into things like pathetic framerate.

And we are now 4 years into the generation. Polyphony only just getting round to releasing what is essentially a GT: Prologue is just weak.

fresquito

But Forza has the content and the quality. The previous GT games didn't, that's the point. Having the game half full of PS2 cars was dumb. That's before we get into things like pathetic framerate.
Don't kid yourself, there's no way a game with 700 cars has quality physics for all of them.

Fox Mulder

And we are now 4 years into the generation. Polyphony only just getting round to releasing what is essentially a GT: Prologue is just weak.

Forza also took their beating with Forza 5, which is the lowest rated entry in the franchise. It was a pared down launch title for the Xbox One and still fit in the regular two year dev cycle. GT Sport is releasing 4 years into the ps4. What do they do with all the time.

I still think Pcars 2 is the more ambitious of the three. I just wish it had a demo to alleviate my concerns from the first game.

Forza has the most options and is designed to have something for everyone.

Project Cars is targeted squarely at the more hardcore sim racing crowd.

Gran Turismo is in its own bubble and designed for Kazunori Yamauchi

The issue with GT5/6 was that much of the content was terrible. PS2 era assets, no cockpit view for most cars, etc. They should have focused on quality first and quantity second. Forza has quantity and quality now from using this approach. I applaud the new focus on quality that is in GTS, but they are far behind some competitors because they failed to do this years ago.

fresquito

Forza has the most options and is designed to have something for everyone.

Project Cars is targeted squarely at the more hardcore sim racing crowd.

Gran Turismo is in its own bubble and designed for Kazunori Yamauchi
How does Forza have more options than PC2?

Every car I drove in forza 6 had quality physics. Is there a reason this should change now for forza 7?
If you think so, probably the one thing that needs changing is your standards.

Forza is probably the all around best bet. Turn 10 has this down to a science at this point; 700 cars and a good number of tracks, excellent physics, great streamlined interface and QOL.

PCars might have a little jank to it, but it has the best variety of tracks by a long way and maybe greater emphasis on simulation.

GT Sport... has the words 'Gran Turismo' in the title, I guess. There's no traditional singleplayer campaign and it's launching extremely light on cars and tracks.

Top Bottom