• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Holiday

Banned
The OST clips were disappointing overall. The feel was either cop drama or Bruckheimer movie. I think the part with chanting has potential though. You can't go wrong with chanting in Halo.

Havok

5 Anniversary achievements left for me! (Finally got the warthog run on The Maw one, pretty easy after I turned off Boom! :p)

1. Complete the game on Legendary
2. Complete The Library without dying
3. Complete Two Betrayals without killing any Grunts
4. Complete Two Betrayals without picking up a new weapon
5. Kill all enemies in the first fight of T&R without being detected

Any tips for 3, 4, and 5?
3. Not that bad. The only hairy spot is the beginning, you've gotta take out the Elite quickly and run out of there while the Sentinels and Grunts fight it out. The rest of the time, just speedrun it when there are Covenant around.

4. Turn Bandanna on, no problem. Grenade everything in sight.

5. The U shaped rock near the beginning will net you most of the moving enemies without being detected as long as you headshot everything, when you've mopped up the jackals, elites, and turret grunts just whack the sleeping grunts along the ledge.

Vire

The OST clips were disappointing overall. The feel was either cop drama or Bruckheimer movie. I think the part with chanting has potential though. You can't go wrong with chanting in Halo.
Cop drama? What the fuck are you smoking cause I want some of it.

TheOddOne

204yR.gif
iHSaffNdwFUvG.gif

We can do this all night, baby.

Korosenai

Fascinating Frankie Fact #416: I played cello in the Tynecastle High School Orchestra. I did until they discovered I wasn't playing and letting the second cellist do all the hard work. But because I knew the finger positions I got away with it for a long time. I wanted to play guitar but it was already taken (dur) or Sax (because this was Lost Boys Eighties and sax was cool) but it was gone too. So I referred to the greatest cellist of all time, Captain Stringfellow Hawke and picked that instrument.

sikp4.jpg

Let's hear Fascinating Frankie Fact #417

Going to stick with normal LE over here. I prefer having the extra maps and buying the soundtrack separately so I get a separate case instead of having to take it out from the game case. Also the sideshow Master Chief Statue is taking up the majority of my gaming budget this year.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I don't know about you guys but the H4 OST is scratching that itch.

I'm sure it'll fit very well within the context of the game.

Going to stick with normal LE over here. I prefer having the extra maps and buying the soundtrack separately so I get a separate case instead of having to take it out from the game case. Also the sideshow Master Chief Statue is taking up the majority of my gaming budget this year.
The Chief figure comes out next year.

I don't know about you guys but the H4 OST is scratching that itch.

I'm sure it'll fit very well with the context of the game and whatever scenes they will compliment.

Yeah, people have to remember that our main enemy isn't a bunch of aliens with an ancient religion anymore.

Now it's a bunch of super-futuristic but ancient robots.

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah, people have to remember that our main enemy isn't a bunch of aliens with an ancient religion anymore.

Now it's a bunch of super-futuristic but ancient robots.

So, electronic sounding music should fit them better.

FRIDGE BRILLIANCE!

EDIT the Covenant are the "monks" in Halo theme chant! Halos music is the Covenant's music!
And Halo 4's music is made by the Prometheans!

EDIT doesn't apply to ODST and Reach really... I assume those musics are their location's musics, Mombasans preferring jazz and rock, and Reachians preferring.... well, whatever Reach's music is.

mhi

The remixes sound stifled. Then again non of the artists have experience remixing classical music.

Etta James maybe but not classical orchestras. Don't think electronic music goes with this genre.

You're paying $400 for the console. These exclusives have no real value besides the work put into them which we are financing with the game. 'Shelling out' can't really be applied here when it is the console they are shelling out for.

Regardless of where you pre-order the game, you are always paying for the game. You are never paying for that 'exclusive' pre-order when you pick retailer X over retailer Y.

Of course these bonuses drive numbers for 'pre-orders' but those aren't beneficial for players at all and only serve to benefit retailers of most sizes. Look at Ireland. Gamestop is the only retailer which focuses on games. The other two with these exclusive bonuses are a toy shop and a video rental store respectively. I have no intent on ever buying from those retailers as long as a dedicated gaming one exists as I can at least assume some level of knowledge about the games. The video rental place is getting gungnir while Gamestop is getting the Canada armor pack. The idea that players who conduct business with retailers of lesser quality in order to get a cooler armor piece is silly.

The consumer is never benfitting really from these things. Gameplay doesn't need to be involved for this to be a shitty practice. It should be challenged like every other qualm people have with this game. I just love the franchise blah blah blah...

To offer my solution, I'd treat the armor pieces like Specilisations.

We have 8 Specs so far, right?

Everyone starts off with two. This will translate to the armory people start off with available for them to unlock.

You preordered at Gamestop? We'll say that unlocks armor piece X early. your buddy preordered at EB? Armor piece Y for him. Boom. Ye both have the pieces you want. The retailer gets their secured purchase in the bag too!

Now, treating these like Specs. Say there is a third prson who never preordered. They can unlock pieces X and Y but only after playing the game for a really long time. You can unlock piece Y if you spend a lotta time in the game and your buddy can do the same with your early unlock of X.

Why anyone should feel as though they are entitled to an exclusive armor piece forever because they placed an early order for a game is seriously laughable. Let them have it early as their bonus. The retailer had their early sale, let players have their armor early.

Everyone wins. Seriously. Retailers are happy. Devs are happy. Players are happy. Players can be broken down into;
a)People who preordered the game nice and early.
b)People who want to be able to get te use of all the in-game content.
c)People who never preordered but who feel as though they shouldn't be punished despite paying the same price as everyone else.
d)People who feel they deserved a bonus for preordering.

Why benefit only a small number of people when you can benefit everyone?

Of course, I don't expect things to change and can only call out what I see.
Oh my god, best Hydranockz post. Such a terrible practice.

And that music is neat.

Woorloog

Banned
Can't stop listening the samples again and again.
I really like the tension, the fast tempo in them, especially Awakening and To Galaxy.

I can imagine Awakening on the first level, i assume it is for it anyway.
Consider what's going on: Your ship is going down, the Covies are trying to kill you, you're in the hurry, all alone in the unknown. Definetly needs fast, high-tension music.

lol

I think most media outlets shoe-in GOTY would have been Bioshock Infinite, but that has been pushed to next year.

I kind of find the whole notion of this "singular GOTY" pretty ridiculous though. Every publication, website, or some scrub with a blog declares a GOTY. When's the last time there was basically a universal GOTY that everyone agreed on?
"MLG Expert Strategy – Recruits the best of the best (Major League Gaming sponsored Halo players) to give you strategies on every map and game type in Halo 4."

cringe cringe cringe cringe.

edit: Not as in pros or 343 but MLG pretending to care.

MLG pro weapon guide. 75% of the weapons in the game "don't pick this shit up, ever."

TCKaos

5 Anniversary achievements left for me! (Finally got the warthog run on The Maw one, pretty easy after I turned off Boom! :p)

1. Complete the game on Legendary
2. Complete The Library without dying
3. Complete Two Betrayals without killing any Grunts
4. Complete Two Betrayals without picking up a new weapon
5. Kill all enemies in the first fight of T&R without being detected

Any tips for 3, 4, and 5?

Coop.

The UNSC has weapons that have terajoules of kinetic energy yet have issues fighting against the Covenant.
Planet-busting bombs (NOVA bomb).
A few hundred nukes ignite a gas giant and make it go nova.
The UNSC spends a lot of money for armors only about 30 soldiers can wear.
An ancient species creates a weapon to destroy their all-consuming opponent, destroys all life other life instead. Herp derp.

Taking account the mess that is called Halo canon, someone desingin an armor that looks like an unicorn is not odd...

Still like Halo but it has zero belivablity.
The only weapons with terajoules of capability were the Super MAC orbital platforms around Reach and Earth, and they had absolutely no issue with the Covenant whatsoever.
The planet busting bombs were purely experimental at a late stage in the war, and indeed there were only one set of them, if you were wondering why it was never deployed.
Viperidae was a special case, and to be quite honest, that one is fairly weird.
It is stated repeatedly in Halo canon that the reason so much was expended on MJOLNIR and the Spartans is because they were the only ones that consistently had success against the Covenant.
The Halo rings were SUPPOSED to wipe out all life in the galaxy, it wasn't a byproduct; it was the only solution the Forerunners could think of after three hundred years of trying.

Woorloog

Banned
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/25/Half-Life_2_cover.jpg/256px-Half-Life_2_cover.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Nope.gif

What a shitty game. Physics were fun to play with. That's about it.

[quote="The P of Poland, post: 41303385"]SNIP[/QUOTE]

Actually, the UNSC Frigates have such powerful MAC guns. Halo Encyclopedia man. EDIT besides, the super MACs were pretty useless in the end, as the Covies bybassed them. Also, they could have been easily destroyed by applying physics... But the Covies ain't very clever.
The super bombs and the nova thing with a gas giant are just plain silly, better fitting Star Wars.
Doesn't make any sense.
You don't see the joke and the irony with Forerunners. EDIT i know how the thing actually works. It's just that i find it kinda ironic. And silly, so advanced but no solutions really...

[quote="StalkerUKCG, post: 41303396"]Nope. Half life series is never going to be my GOTY

Halo 2 was the best game of 2004.[/QUOTE]

Best game for years after 2004, IMO. And all i did was to play the campaign solo and co-op and 3 player FFA Slayer, split-screen.

Ramirez

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/25/Half-Life_2_cover.jpg/256px-Half-Life_2_cover.jpg[/mg][/QUOTE]

Now you've done it!

I never played either HL upon release, just many years after, and I found both to be boring & over hyped.

Could be a "had to be there" sort of thing. Kind of how in my mind PSO is one of the best games ever, but if I played it today, would I still feel that way? Probably not.

Does any entertainment medium age WORSE then video games?

Does any entertainment medium have a better track record at good sequels then video games?

Woorloog

Banned

Does any entertainment medium have a better track record at good sequels then video games?

Can't think any.

Can't think any... wait, literature maybe?

Also, 7 more posts till personal 5k posts.

EDIT ZOMG, i'm top poster of this thread at the moment. WTF, barely posted in the previous one...

Vire

I dunno a lot of movies don't hold up particularly well, where as I can go back and play Super Mario Bros or World and it's still boss.

To your second point, some second or third albums are greatly improved over the debut, but yeah I'd have to say video games have the best track record when it comes to sequels.

Figures that a bunch of sweaty Halo dorks wouldn't like one of the best single-player FPS of all time (trumped only by Half-Life 1).
Was it HL2 or one of the Episodes that had you running from that Antlion Queen? That part was amazing, so much tension

Also I didn't think Ravenholm was as scary as everyone said it was

Just catching up with the soundtrack...it is good. It is not Marty's work which is both good and bad. Also, my favorite song is still from that old preview.

I want to get the LE soundtrack but 75 is a little steep considering I plan on buying the LE game as well as both controllers.

With Reach I bought the Legendary Edition, the console, the headset, and three controllers. That was way too much money.

Top Bottom