• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Officially Revealed for PC, Xbox One, PS4 [Reddit Rumor = Ban]

Fjordson

Finally got a chance to rewatch the trailer. I love how some of the environments look. Already starting to get excited about exploring a new map.

Think my two favourite shots were the Blade Runner airship / blimp thing flying over the city and the creepy dude walking down the city street at night.

lmao yes it is the same thing. The current generation of consoles are vastly underpowered compared to PC's. So if Next Gen console owners can whine about last gen consoles holding games back then it is fair to say the "next gen" consoles are holding games back for the PC.

what the hell are you talking about? High end PCs and next gen consoles are still in a much more similar ballpark in regards to multiplats, relative to their relationship with Xbox 360 and PS3, which, if they represented the baseline sku for this particular game, would actively limit the scope and ambition of the game for everyone!!! (everyone being relevant audiences who still buy AAA games, those being next gen and PC, don't know why you think it's reasonable to arbitrarily exclude next gen like it's anywhere as limiting as last gen would be), and would also preclude Bethesda from being able to make many meaningful improvements to their engines or to these games' designs. It looks like gstaff has more or less validated what I've been saying. It would be just as reasonable for me to say this in 2008 if there were rumors that Fallout 3 were cross-gen with PS2 and Xbox, you follow? Because adhering to a dated format wouldn't just prevent them from making huge sweeping advances, it'd prevent them from making pretty much any real advances at all - and at this point it doesn't seem like a worthwhile pursuit in the face of these kinds of deep drawbacks, because last gen titles aren't selling too hot anymore, and because Fallout 4 is Bethesda's flagship open world title, likely bearing insane sales expectations. They wouldn't be doing themselves any favors at all by self-handicap to such an insane degree.

As long as you want to play with semantics and focus on how powerful high end PCs are relative to next gen consoles, Bethesda can still take the PS4 and Xbox One a LOT further as a baseline than they could ever take 360 and PS3, which in some cases could hardly run their last generation engines well. Perhaps, as with their last generation open world games, they'll able to achieve a vision for the game that works well enough on consoles for a healthy contingent of players to enjoy, can be improved substantially on high end PCs, and advances the underlying systems beyond the dated capabilities of 10 year old hardware, which is NOT AT ALL an unreasonable expectation. You're making an irrelevant and disingenuous comparison, and that's coming from someone who also games exclusively on PC.

MattyG

Banned
It is not coming to 360 and PS3, the stuff we’re doing will never work there.
THANK YOU.

tumblr_m1powhRVdz1rqnp16o2_500.gif

Tigress

lmao yes it is the same thing. The current generation of consoles are vastly underpowered compared to PC's. So if Next Gen console owners can whine about last gen consoles holding games back then it is fair to say the "next gen" consoles are holding games back for the PC.

SolidSamus already gave you an excellent reply to this. I also want to add in that excluding all consoles also excludes a lot of money they would need to justify putting money in (ask CDPR about that, they explicitly said putting it on consoles allowed them to be that ambitious). But at some point you gotta draw the line on what will hold the game too far back. Enough people now have moved on to next gen (especially the kind of people who will be buying the game day one, the area of time they make the most money on the game) to justify including it even if it holds it back some. Not to mention you also then include people with lower end PCs.... people with the real high end PCs are not that big a market). They are not at this point going to handicap themselves too much in terms of lost sales by telling people to upgrade already.

And honestly, Fallout is the kinda game that will convince people to go ahead and buy the next gen console for it. I will fully admit that I bought my PS4 for Fallout, I just had a lot of faith it wasn't coming on PS3... especially after they explicitly said they were no longer going to support PS3 for Elder Scrolls because it just could not do what they wanted to do next <- and yes, Bethesda did outright say this (at the time I remember being sad cause I wasn't planning on getting a next gen cause I didn't think I could afford it. At the same time I understood they eventually gotta move on and if you keep with an old console you gotta expect you're going to get left behind eventually). I assumed it was for Fallout too as it was a similar game but Skyrim was popular at the time so the media was still focusing on Elder Scrolls.

Yes, I was kinda risky buying the console when there was no proof it was coming out or that it might not be exclusive to one console. But I was willing to bet that it was definitely coming out when there was an obvious market for it and that they weren't going to limit their sales by putting it out on one console only. Guess I didn't predict wrong on anything (including you need a current gen console to play it).

what the hell are you talking about? High end PCs and next gen consoles are still in a much more similar ballpark in regards to multiplats

lol no not even close. A high end PC will be over 3 - 4 times more powerful than the next gen consoles. Hell midrange PC's today are crapping over the power of the next gen consoles.

The next gen folk going "herp derp last gen is holding us back brah" are saying the EXACT same thing that PC gamers say about last gen and next gen. Next gen consoles are just as limiting to the PC as last gen consoles are to next gen consoles.

But it is a redundant argument people have got their clarification now and can rest easy in bed tonight.

SolidSamus already gave you an excellent reply to this. I also want to add in that excluding all consoles also excludes a lot of money they would need to justify putting money in (ask CDPR about that, they explicitly said putting it on consoles allowed them to be that ambitious).

No he didn't he just said "it is different cos reasons bro" People going "last gen are holding us back" are saying EXACTLY the same thing as when PC gamers go "consoles are holding us back"

We talkin Blacklist Spader, Ultron Spader or does it not matter because it's James friggin Spader?
Blacklist Spader is the anti-hero, Ultron Spader is the villain but like you said, does it matter even matter? Either way, his character would be boss.

And lol at Stargate Spader FunkyPajamas.

Tigress

It is not coming to 360 and PS3, the stuff we’re doing will never work there.

You know, I'm pretty sure around 2012 Bethesda outright made a statement saying they were no longer supporting PS3 for their next Elder Scrolls games at least because of this (that current gen at the time just could not support what they wanted to do in the next one). I remember reading an article saying as such (commenting on the statement).

I mean I outright assumed this went for Fallout too, it's why I bought a next gen console (and before some PC gamer pipes up, yes, I realize if I am buying something specifically for Fallout PC is better. But I have my reasons for preferring console and as Bethesda games are the only games I am jealous of PC players I'll sacrifice being able to get mods and keep with my console. And I definitely can't afford buying a gaming PC and console... I already kinda pushed my budget for the console).

partyboy

So we got Liam Neeson for Fallout 3 and Matthew Perry for New Vegas. What big time actor should we have for Fallout 4?

None. Why do people want this? These games are supposed to be about immersing yourself in another world. Celebrity voices don't help there. And honestly,half the time, the celebs don't do that great of a job anyway. At the very least you could get the same quality from an unknown who isn't going to take you out of the game and will allow more money to be spent on stuff that actually matters (and is usually skimped on in Bethesda games.)

Tigress

No he didn't he just said "it is different cos reasons bro" People going "last gen are holding us back" are saying EXACTLY the same thing as when PC gamers go "consoles are holding us back"

Whatever. Fine, they shouldn't make it for any machine except for the high end machines and if no one else can play it, oh well. I guess also if Bethesda can't amke enough money to justify putting the effort into it on high end machines they just shouldn't make it because it shouldn't be held back by the peasants who refuse to buy the best machines.

Or, alternatively, I guess it should be made for everything and I suppose it is going to have to be a pixel game cause you know, NES and Atari aren't going to be able to handle much more.

Or in other words there is a balance between having to be able to support enough machines to justify making the game and not supporting such old machines that they hold the game back.

Because this is what you are saying. You are saying there is no middle ground. That you cannot complain about it being held back by some machines unless you don't want antyhing that will hold it back period from being worked on (which is unfeasable when making a large game like that. Bethesda has to make money). Or, you have to support every single machine being able to play it and not care how much it gets held back.

Also, yes, SolidSamus made some really good points. Including the fact that if you force it to support old gen, it can't do much more than Fallout 3 and Vegas. But at least with new gen consoles it can do more. They are still able to do more/better stuff with the newer consoles even if they can't do as much as if they just supported high end PCs. Sure, it's still being held back some, but they can do more than they did with old consoles.

You get it yet?

blah blah blah

You're just plain blockheaded.... You're right, this argument's redundant, because you're going to keep dismissing the valid arguments other people make in favor of repeating that same half assed nonsense response of yours. So I'm not gonna bother engaging you anymore, have fun with your crazytalk, I'm likely the only one taking it seriously at all.

lol no not even close. A high end PC will be over 3 - 4 times more powerful than the next gen consoles. Hell midrange PC's today are crapping over the power of the next gen consoles.

The next gen folk going "herp derp last gen is holding us back brah" are saying the EXACT same thing that PC gamers say about last gen and next gen. Next gen consoles are just as limiting to the PC as last gen consoles are to next gen consoles.

But it is a redundant argument people have got their clarification now and can rest easy in bed tonight.

the first person fallout games were always present between PC and consoles and i think thats fine.. if valve or something wanted to make a similar game like fallout that would have even greater potential for gaming then id be all for it

but from the perspective of console gaming, last gen console options needs to expire already if people wanna keep up with quality

i dont mind the console crowd and i dislike condescending attitude towards it

BouncyFrag

You've just discovered the one thing that would make me not buy this game.
Earlier in the thread I proposed that Marky Mark's voice and consciousness be uploaded to an eyebot that would play his timeless classic, Good Vibrations, when enemies came into view.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
fallout4vby9sqo.png

Though seriously, I wonder if the Wii U would be able to do this game justice. The GamePad could be interesting for gameplay (Pip-Boy accessible always), but in terms of visuals it would perhaps fall behind.

mclem

Well, probably time to finish off the Fallout 3 DLC. So I can start on New Vegas. So at the rate I normally play things, should be on Fallout 4 by... 2020? Or so?

Rösti;166616339 said:
fallout4vby9sqo.png

Though seriously, I wonder if the Wii U would be able to do this game justice. The GamePad could be interesting for gameplay (Pip-Boy accessible always), but in terms of visuals it would perhaps fall behind.
Awesome mock up!

None. Why do people want this? These games are supposed to be about immersing yourself in another world. Celebrity voices don't help there. And honestly,half the time, the celebs don't do that great of a job anyway. At the very least you could get the same quality from an unknown who isn't going to take you out of the game and will allow more money to be spent on stuff that actually matters (and is usually skimped on in Bethesda games.)

Woah calm down, I don't care if Fallout 4 doesn't have guest actors, but given how every past Fallout and Elder's Scrolls games had quite a few amount of guest actors it makes sense to expect some to appear in Fallout 4.

Top Bottom