• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT4| New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the thread to discuss manga and manga related things.... (PART IV)

duckroll said:
WARNING

This is the last time I am ever going to say this. I believe I have mentioned this before. Do not ever, ever direct link to illegal piracy shit. This includes manga releases, manga scanlations, sites and apps which provide such access, etc. STOP DOING IT. This thread is for the discussion of manga, not for the exchange and distribution of illegal material. Don't ask, don't tell. Future offenses will result in normal moderation consequences. Do not reply to this message, just move along. If you have a question, PM me.

Simple rules to follow so we can discuss our favorite mangas easily:

In bold, put the name of the series. Then you can go ahead and discuss whatever is on your mind without tags, okay? Make sure there is a space between the bolded name of the series and your text. Here's an example:

Hunter X Hunter

It rules and I don't know why!

Okay. Again, another warning. We will discuss all the mangas in one topic with no tags. If you don't want to be spoiled by the chapter as soon as the translation is out, do not come in here. Also, since we are not talking about the anime, you can mention new episodes without tags either since they are always behind or are filler. You should know well enough not to come in here not wanting to be spoiled but bolding the header should help out even more.

Again, No Spoiler marks needed, that is the benefit of coming here.

1st thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216788
2nd thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400952
3rd thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421956

Wall of shame
hl4jH.png

No ones at OT1 angry Grimace level posting but syat flow is getting close. I guess this is the thread where the new generation takes over.

Huh, it only takes around 260 posts to make it into the wall of fame? That's less of a crazy number than I had imagined.

I do wish I had more to say so one day I too, could be on that wall of magnificent people.

survivor

Banned
You know OT1 had about 47k posts. If we don't have the 20k limit anymore then I'm sure Stat Flow would have caught up to Angry Grimace.

789shadow

Banned
Neoriceisgood said:
Huh, it only takes around 260 posts to make it into the wall of fame? That's less of a crazy number than I had imagined.

I do wish I had more to say so one day I too, could be on that wall of magnificent people.
You could probably get there just by discussing the Big 3 every week.

Shinriji

Hunter x Hunter 319

Dying to see the hatsu of the others members, mainly Cheadle. And Pariston really is scum, but Ging put him on his place, like a boss.

Kaizer

Banned
I'll be posting in here more often now, getting caught up with Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Reborn, Fairy Tail & lots of other stuff. Plus I just started on Hunter x Hunter, at Ch.66 right now and it's pretty awesome.

Zeppu

789shadow said:
You could probably get there just by discussing the Big 3 every week.

You could easily get everyone else to get to there if you say 'One Piece is awesome.' every week.

Kaizer said:
I'll be posting in here more often now, getting caught up with Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Reborn, Fairy Tail & lots of other stuff. Plus I just started on Hunter x Hunter, at Ch.66 right now and it's pretty awesome.
That's great. I demand Big One style pro and con lists with ridiculous arguments to get this thread going.

josephdebono said:
You could easily get everyone else to get to there if you say 'One Piece is awesome.' every week.
We all know that's a lie.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
New OT. How do you do Manga-GAF.

I welcome new Manga brethren. Remember:

-One Piece is always awesome, regardless of when it's bad or just okay (which in reality is never)
-Bleach always sucks.
-Naruto is horrible but people still love it. I know I do.

survivor

Banned
OP

So did MS botch up the translation at the end? I looked around and it seems that it's "true character/identity" using the spoilers translations.

Funny how one word changes the entire meaning completely.

Trevelyon

Couldn't really follow this week's chapter, maybe I'm just sleepy, what's gonna happen when they get in the big bubble? Luffy will try revive Decken, redirect it back to Shirahoshi in the few seconds he has before Noah drops through?

Steroyd

One Piece is awesome
No comment on Bleach
Naruto is blah, kill the sauce.
TWGOK's pimp hand
and Beelzebub is gre-- wait if Narubleapiece is out early doesn't that mean Beelzebub should be to?

Wiseblade

Trevelyon said:
Couldn't really follow this week's chapter, maybe I'm just sleepy, what's gonna happen when they get in the big bubble? Luffy will try revive Decken, redirect it back to Shirahoshi in the few seconds he has before Noah drops through?
Pretty much. That, and it makes it easier for Luffy to beat the crap out of Hodi.

survivor

Banned
Trevelyon said:
From what I understood is that it's probably the only way for Luffy to get on Noah to help revive Decken and be able to fight Hody on equal grounds. And then I think they will just try to redirect the ship away.

Truth to be told, I kinda just want to read next week's One Piece already, this is like the most typical case-in-point examples of a "transition chapter" if I ever did see one.

... Well, except for maybe that chapter in Naruto, geez.

Griffith

Banned
Gamaran 112

I'm curious to see how much the Hyuga brothers have developed and if they'll be able to hold their own in the upcoming fights. While they obviously wouldn't be able to take on any of the big names, you would think after spending all this time at the Ogame school they would have become reasonably competent fighters.

ShinNL

I guess something like this would be handy to have on the first page of this thread.

My current manga list (half of them not started) (and progress not accurate, my tablet was reset):
currentmangalist_1.jpg

Glass Rebel

Soneet said:
I guess something like this would be handy to have on the first page of this thread.

My current manga list (half of them not started) (and progress not accurate, my tablet was reset):
http://www.soneet.com/upload/files/currentmangalist.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Thanks for this!

Edit: Oh wait, what is this exactly? :lol

I fully expect Hody to implode...he was a relative weakling before and these steroid pills seem stupidly cheap so far...He is a bloody annoying punch bag at this stage...its irritating that Oda is pulling so many handicaps from luffy detroying him...why not give us a little satisfaction at Luffy's growth? Well I know he will when they are able to fight on equal grounds...but really, Luffy should sustain next to no damage in this fight. At least it revealed his Haki has alot of room for improvement.

Wiseblade

Neoriceisgood said:
Truth to be told, I kinda just want to read next week's One Piece already, this is like the most typical case-in-point examples of a "transition chapter" if I ever did see one.

... Well, except for maybe that chapter in Naruto, geez.
Na, things still happened in this chapter, even if you could sum it up as "the boat is still fallling."

ShinNL

Glass Rebel said:
Thanks for this!

Edit: Oh wait, what is this exactly? :lol
Just a good bunch of manga in case anyone was looking for something to read. My list used to be small but then GAF suggested stuff so I added them to my wishlist. So far I liked every manga that I didn't originally follow myself: Mirai Nikki, Onani Master Kurosawa, Beelzebub, Noblesse, Bakuman, Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai, Sengoku Youko (T_T), The Sacred Blacksmith, The World God Only Knows (!).

Still have to start on many.

Reading Lists time?

Ao no Exorcist
Bakuman
Big Order
Bleach
Brocken Blood
Fairy Tail
Flame of Recca
Karakuridouji Ultimo
Katekyo Hitman Reborn!
Loveless
Lucky Dog 1 Blast
Naruto
No. 6
One Piece
Psyren
Seikon no Qwaser
Soul Eater
ST&RS
Tegami Bachi
Toriko
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's

Naruto 558

Nice color page and MS seems to have gotten a bit of Sasuke love. Otherwise, Naruto's clones never cease to amaze me. Odd timing especially with the previous filler episode of his Clones holding him hostage, chapter focusing on his clones and an anime episode too. Hopefully next chapter he gets to take down Muu with Gaara in a nice teamwork orientated fight, which I do not think weve ever had them teamup to take out anyone before. I dont think its been done in filler either.

Glass Rebel

Soneet said:
Just a good bunch of manga in case anyone was looking for something to read. My list used to be small but then GAF suggested stuff so I added them to my wishlist. So far I liked every manga that I didn't originally follow myself: Mirai Nikki, Onani Master Kurosawa, Beelzebub, Noblesse, Bakuman, Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai, Sengoku Youko (T_T), The Sacred Blacksmith, The World God Only Knows (!).

Still have to start on many.

Oh, I thought it was a page or program you use to access the manga you're reading. Thanks anyway!

ShinNL

Glass Rebel said:
Oh, I thought it was a page or program you use to access the manga you're reading. Thanks anyway!
Yeah, that image is an edited screenshot of my favorite list of an app for Android devices. I read everything on my tablet.

Naruto

Is naruto supposed to look like pretty much everyone in this manga? Nice to see Bee finished and came back.

Bleach

I'd like to see Shun-chan again and ginjou. Both who I new believe are going to be beaten effortlessly.

One Piece

Meh, Hody is terrible, Please no flashbacks. Please.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
AlimNassor said:
One Piece

Meh, Hody is terrible, Please no flashbacks. Please.

You know we are going to get 4 or 5 chapters of flashbacks.

dealwithit.jpg

AlimNassor said:
Naruto

Is naruto supposed to look like pretty much everyone in this manga? Nice to see Bee finished and came back.

Three+ characters that look the same is odd, if we count Konohamaru also...then again, it reminds me of a character in Fairy Tail.

Lain

I'm gonna repost the translated interview to Mari Yamazaki I posted on the last page of the other thread.
By chance (I was checking the new manga announcement in Italy) I saw a short interview to Mari Yamazaki done by the Italian editor Star Comics in anticipation of the publishing of Thermae Romae this month as well as Mari Yamazaki being a guest for Star Comics at Lucca Comics & Games 2011.
I thought there were a couple of interesting things in it, and I know at least one person (flawfuls) reads Thermae Romae as it is being scanlated in English, so I decided to translate it (at best of my abilities, hope I didn't make too many mistakes) and post it here, thinking that maybe some of you might have been interested in a couple of the things Yamazaki says about Thermae Romae:

S.C. = Star Comics
M.Y. = Mari Yamazaki

1) S.C. : When did your career as a mangaka begin?

M.Y.: My career as a mangaka started during the last year of my stay in Florence, in 1994, when one of my manga got selected in a contest for newcomers organized by the Japanese editor Kodansha.

2) S.C.: How did you get the inspiration for Thermae Romae?

M.Y.: There are various elements that got me to create that story: a series of visits to roman ruins in Italy and Middle East, where I'd often notice the remains of thermal baths (at a time in which I didn't even have a bath tub in my house, something really unbearable for a Japanese); the knowledge of the HBO TV series "Rome," where I noticed various roman behaviors that aren't so distant from certain Japanese ones; and lastly some family talks with my husband, in which we discussed these and other things about the ancient Romans.

3) S.C.: Thermae Romae was a big success in Japan, what is the secret of your work?

M.Y.: This manga should never have become a successful manga. It was conceived as a niche manga, but evidently some of its features made it popular. Which? Anyone can try to answer - I think that it's a combination of exoticism and reflection on Japan itself, that attracted the Japanese readers (who are always really interested in understanding how they are seen by foreigners).

4) S.C.: Which mangaka, or works of other mangaka, do you prefer?

M.Y.: Yoshiharu Tsuge, Shigeru Mizuki and Kei Ichinoseki

5) S.C.: Is it true that you speak Italian fluently?

M.Y.: Yes, but I lost the Florentine accent.

Bleach 467

Darn my two favorites of the fullbringers were defeated. I wish Shishigawara's had won! So underrated. It was pretty fun fight. I hope the anime gives the fight an entire episode dedicated to it. Yukio has an interesting personality and had a fitting conclusion, am glad Toshiro sparred his life. This will also be great to see animated. Ultimately, hype is building for me for Ichigo's fight and Tsukishima! Soon!

Glass Rebel

Soneet said:
Yeah, that image is an edited screenshot of my favorite list in Mango, an app for Android devices. I read everything now using that.

Ah, makes sense. I'd use it too but my Wildfire (don't laugh) is too shitty for anything other than Whatsapp and calls.

Anyway, read the new stuff and caught up to some manga:

One Piece

Still like it, even though the latest chapter wasn't that good. I liked this arc up to a point but it's moving at snail's pace and I just want it to conclude and the Strawhats to move on. I want to see what happened to the other Supernovas.

Bleach

Why am I even bothering? It's just lame fights or lame story parts at this point. I can see another, bigger baddie coming from a mile away. *sigh*

Naruto

At least the fights are a bit interesting but from a personality standpoint the enemies are really boring. I hope the Sauce comes and is killed by Naruto so we can put an end to this misery.

Hunter x Hunter

So Meruem died. Okay. He was a pretty cool villain IMO but how he went was beyond lame. Now I wanna see what happened to Gon. What did he look like the last time we saw him? Adult and long hair? Anything else?

Hajime no Ippo

I'm not sure what to think about this manga. The latest chapter was fun in a silly way but I don't think Morikawa knows where to go with it. Just let Ippo move onto the international stage, noone cares about Aoki or Kimura.

Berserk

Lots of tits, eh? Less faceless demons, more Griffith and Co. plz. On the other hand, how is Guts going to handle them if he's struggling now?

Beelzebub

Still the best manga right now.

Wiseblade

A Town Where you Live
The last couple of chapter have been full of stupid misunderstandings. Nothing to really rage about, though.

Silver Spoon
Can't believe I forgot about this! At least I had 3 good chapters to catch up on.

Steroyd

nelsonroyale said:
I fully expect Hody to implode...he was a relative weakling before and these steroid pills seem stupidly cheap so far...He is a bloody annoying punch bag at this stage...its irritating that Oda is pulling so many handicaps from luffy detroying him...why not give us a little satisfaction at Luffy's growth? Well I know he will when they are able to fight on equal grounds...but really, Luffy should sustain next to no damage in this fight. At least it revealed his Haki has alot of room for improvement.

I don't think it's quite fair to not have Hody utilise his strength (the sea) as a fishman at some point, especially with a viable method of Luffy being underwater without, just plain sinking. :lol

Hody flash back incoming.

HxH new arc is gonna be amazing I can already tell.

Bleach...

Naruto...

I started reading Gamaran and I am up to 27 the fights (and this is basically all the mangaa is) are freaking amazing.

gunbo13

Thread feels brand new. Feels good man.

HSDK (ch 447)

-shounen, action, strategically melting spandex
I haven't spoken about HSDK but I will now with my biggest beef since this chapter is full of the nonsense. The art is just so all over the place. I'm the type who will read a page 20x trying to make sense even when the poor dialogue is from a bad translation. I will then infer the true meaning but I can't move on with nothing. Action art is the same for me. I want to know how you got from A->B->C. HSDK is the epitome of annoyance in this regard. In this chapter you have a mask break yet not enough of it is drawn broken in a following panel. The impact of attacks goes against what the previous panels illustrate. And you have weird instances where a character is ambiguously drawn to go multiple directions. HSDK obviously is ridiculously over the top and unrealistic, yet at least maintain some damn consistency.

As for the chapter, Miu of course had 85% of her outfit melted away. And did her grandfather really miss out on helping her? This guy hasn't missed a beat the entire manga yet he sleeps on it when NO enemy is attacking him? Was he giving Kenichi mouth to mouth or something? The god fist giving chase is a decent move and Kenichi is going to go all weepy then perk up to find Miu. Time to invade soul society bitches!
__D+__

Kimi no Iru Machi (ch 153)

-shounen, romance, episodic nonsense
So yea, here we go with another misunderstanding chapter. This one though was obvious from the first few pages. Except for Rin's joke, this chapter was just about running through the pages to get to the obvious conclusion. Yet this was the step that was needed for Haruto to grow a pair and lay Eba. Let's hope she doesn't get knocked up on the first attempt like Suzuka. Did those kids not know how a girl gets knocked up? Seriously... Though Haruto's neighbor seems like a way better pick so he should just jump ship IMO.
__C-__

Kimi ni Todoke (ch 60)

-shoujo, slow romance, side-romance tis better
Sawako and Shota are acting like 8 year olds since they almost kissed. We are stuck with that. Kento likes Ayane and so do I since she has some realism to her unlike the ridiculous Sawako. However, Chizuru and Ryu is by far the spotlight romance here. You have to root for it. This was a good chapter but three simultaneously developing romances at once really is a bit much. KNT usually breaks up these narratives a bit better so it doesn't go all dating sim.

Also, KNT annoys the shit out of me following the bubbles. I know the shoujo dialog style well but KNT is a pain to follow. You have bubbles that just sort of float and you find yourself assigning names to sentences. You would expect this with a ton of characters but not with small groups.
__B-__

Nozoki Ana (ch 63)

-seinen, sex, small spaces
Emiru you are off base on this one. Teasing is giving a hand-job eh? Then what the hell were all the teases I knew in school doing with just their flirts and giggles? Aint that some bull. So yea, it takes two to cheat yet Emiru goes back into the mode of how understanding she is of relationships. So now Kido has to eventually break it off with his new girl and the foreshadowing is that the peephole will be the cause. And Kido, you seriously just threw on them drawers son? Well, he is the guy who somehow finds an HJ to be his top sexual experience or whatever...
__C+__

Sankarea (ch 21)

-shounen, romance, central plot on strings
So this one is getting an anime. I wonder if I will watch it like TWGOK or ignore it like Bakuman, Beezlebub, Freezing...yuck. Anyway, this chapter is a post-confession one where the main couple is now all embarrassed. Oh thanks, I need more of that after KNT. We are introduced to the effects of the plant poison in non-zombies. This explains the apparent dementia of the grandfather. Not much else happens except we know that Ranko is pissed at losing to the "monster" Rea. Also, the 14yr old scientist (really?) wants Furuya to teach her love. Whatever...
__B-__

Looks like I might check out seeing Hiro Mashima since I'm going to comic-con NYC next week as he will be there. I have to read Fairy Tale. ;)

One Piece 641

The chapter needed more fighting for overall it was dull. Impressive that Luffy is using his Haki underwater. Im really praying that the anime will just try to condense this as much as possible. I wonder who was the man that told them about Noah though, it would be interesting if this is the day the arks mission is for.

I thought my prediction of Luffy destroying Noah to rain destruction on the island would verify but that seems unlikely now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom