• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saty

Top 10 last week: http://www.bluesnews.com/s/148944/steam-top-10
1.DayZ
2.Rust
3.Borderlands 2: Game of the Year Edition
4.Starbound
5.Democracy 3
6.South Partk: The Stiuck of Truth
7.7 Days to Die
8.Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
9.Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Collection
10.Octodad: Dadliest Catch

I think that's the 9th consecutive week DayZ is first -- since it launched. If we weren't lazy we could have a good picture of how many weekly units it takes to be on that spot using the game's site counter.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Top 10 last week: http://www.bluesnews.com/s/148944/steam-top-10

I think that's the 9th consecutive week DayZ is first -- since it launched. If we weren't lazy we could have a good picture of how many weekly units it takes to be on that spot using the game's site counter.

Well, two-and-a-half weeks ago the site's account counter was sitting at 1,114,992 and it's now at 1,351,930, so in that period the game has sold at least ~237k copies (or more importantly ~$711m in revenue, as it's what you need to work with), the lion's share of which were presumably through Steam itself.

Edit: Clarity.

Guys, does anyone know why Rise of Nations still isn't available on Steam yet?

"Portions" of the game are owned by Microsoft so there are still some residual issues to sort out. Although Wikipedia says it uses a proprietary engine, I've theorised that BHG used AoE's as a base.

Whools

Guys, does anyone know why Rise of Nations still isn't available on Steam yet?

I'd love to see it on steam, Has much been revealed about plans for a steam release? I imagine the major challenge would getting rid of gamespy stuff and presumably putting in steamworks. It doesn't really need the HD treatment, though it would be pretty nice.

"Portions" of the game are owned by Microsoft so there are still some residual issues to sort out. Although Wikipedia says it uses a proprietary engine, I've theorised that BHG used AoE's as a base.

Would these "portions" affect making a new RoN as well, or just a re-release? Also I wouldn't be surprised if they did use the AoE engine. Though RoN is far superior.

Momentary

Banned
Did Planetary Annihalation just become 10 bucks cheaper. I could have sworn the game was $60.

This is my second most wanted game behind Yaiba.

JaseC

Would these "portions" affect making a new RoN as well, or just a re-release? Also I wouldn't be surprised if they did use the AoE engine. Though RoN is far superior.

That ultimately depends on what the portions actually are. If they're related to the engine as I suspect then a remake would be possible without needing to reach an agreement with Microsoft.

There are actually two RoN Gold apps in the registry: 13900 and 33000. My guess is that one listing is Microsoft's and the other BHG's.

Anteater

Chapter 6 in Binary Domain

Dan didn't shoot Faye, that's what I expected from you

798220-20animated_gifu9sug.gif

I never knew this but it seems like Interceptor Entertainment (Rise of the Triad) is working on a hobby project that aims to update the game, SiN, to HD assets. They announced it last September.

JaseC

I never knew this but it seems like Interceptor Entertainment (Rise of the Triad) is working on a hobby project that aims to update the game, SiN, to HD assets. They announced it last September.

On a related note, and I know I've mentioned this before, MumboJumbo recently released SiN Gold on GOG. SiN itself isn't even available on Steam as a separate product but instead comes bundled with Emergence and, for some odd reason, is slightly censored (GOG's SiN Gold isn't). I contacted MumboJumbo Support and asked if there were plans for a Steam release, but of course the response I received revealed nothing.

inky

So I just got:

0Vi6vuk.png

Thank you based Feep. I promise that after I finished idling for cards I'll finally finish your game :p

JaseC

jasec your saoirse nose picking avatar is terrible

I made my 200th avatar tonight and I really want to switch to it to celebrate the occasion. At this point I have more Saoirse avatars than some have games on Steam. :p

Damn, so I finally decide to give in and let fucking YouTube just make a Google+ page for my channel, and suddenly it won't allow me to sign into that account any more. Such a fucking shame that there's no viable alternative out there, because Google turned it into a disgrace.

There go my plans of narrating my games like an old Dutch guy.

On-topic, time to tackle that final boss in Batman: AA. If you don't hear from me: I've rage-smashed the world.

So is it worth $5 then? (Have left over card monies in my steam wallet.)

It was worth the 80 I paid for the CE at the game's console launch! Great, challenging combat and some incredible locations to go through. By the end of the game you really feel like you've completed a great journey which isn't something I can say about many games. Is a bit slow to get going but after a few hours it's steady fun until the end. It is quite long as well, about 15-20 hours for a first playthough without revisiting levels.

Hopefully that deal means the Castlevania LoS 2 pre-order will go up today or tomorrow. Need to put money down on it before I decide whether to buy Lighting Returns or not :3

Turfster

It was worth the 80 I paid for the CE at the game's console launch! Great, challenging combat and some incredible locations to go through. By the end of the game you really feel like you've completed a great journey which isn't something I can say about many games. Is a bit slow to get going but after a few hours it's steady fun until the end. It is quite long as well, about 15-20 hours for a first playthough without revisiting levels.

dontbelievehislies.jpg

The combat is infuriatingly meh, and the "after a few hours" seems to drag on forever, since I got about halfway through chapter 2 and was still not having any fun.

dontbelievehislies.jpg

The combat is infuriatingly meh, and the "after a few hours" seems to drag on forever, since I got about halfway through chapter 2 and was still not having any fun.

Yeah thats true. It gets alot better after Chapter 3 but you have to suffer so much tedious gameplay before you get anything interesting out of the game.

dontbelievehislies.jpg

The combat is good fun, heavy feel to it and great enemy hit reactions to match it. Once magic is introduced the rhythm of switching from dark to light magic, and trying to avoid being hit to build your meter is very satisfying. The move set allows for a good deal of combat options as well. Plus the game is very challenging in places and really has your learn the combat to succeed which is always nice to see. Did play on whatever the hard equivalent was though.

louiedog

I wonder if a copy of Castlevnia: LoS will be the surprise teased for PC gamers when the pre-order goes up for the sequel, which should be soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom