• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actors who play themselves in every role?

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_luo7mrhhrc1qa4txxo1_400.jpg

That was just the funny, fast talking black dude set up in the future.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Does Jim Carrey count? Sure he played The Mask and The Riddler but everything else was pretty much him.

Huh?

- Ace Ventura
- Eternal Sunshine
- The truman Show
- Man on the Moon
- I love you Phillip Morris
- The Mask
- The cable Guy

All Vastly Different... 3 roles in there worthy of an oscar IMO.

PBalfredo

Adam Sandler plays a fucking idiot in every movie, which I am fairly sure is himself.

No way. Listen, Adam Sandler has tackled a number of very different roles in his films.

In Happy Gilmore he played an angry guy
In Billy Madison he played a retarded guy
In The Waterboy he played an angry retarded guy

See? That's some acting range.

watershed

Banned
Anyone saying Denzel or Tom Hanks are crazy. There are miles between Denzel in Philadelphia and Denzel in American Gangster. For Tom Hanks just look at the difference between Philadelphia and Saving Private Ryan and Terminal.

Some honest answers: Arnold, Michelle Rodriguez, Christopher Walken (by his own admission) lots of action and comedy actors.

Platy

File under "always plays the same character." Jack Black is nothing like his persona. That's the case for most of the actors in this thread, though.

Sure, but all we can is the Tenacious D, wich while it is FAR from being a reality based movie, he PLAYS a character name Jack Black who is basicaly his persona

How the hell has nobody said Nic Cage yet? :lol

Play themselfs, not plays with overacting every role

Adam Sandler Rob Schneider plays a fucking idiot in every movie, which I am fairly sure is himself.

fixed

Huh?

- Ace Ventura
- Eternal Sunshine
- The truman Show
- Man on the Moon
- I love you Phillip Morris
- The Mask
- The cable Guy

All Vastly Different... 3 roles in there worthy of an oscar IMO.

Man on the Moon is incredible. Such a shame it seems so underrated.

You forgot The Majestic.

Cruise was in Collateral, Tropic Thunder and Magnolia. You can all go to hell.
Thanks. I was going to defend his roles if no one else did. Add Rock of Ages, Minority Report, Eyes Wide Shut and Vanilla Sky. Dude has amazing range.

ITT: people who hate Tom Cruise and don't understand acting or characters.

Raist

Banned
Worst offenders:

Brad Pitt
Eddy Murphy
Jim Carrey
Richard Gere

Tom Cruise too, but he seemed to get into phases. Like the MI phase, the Top Gun phase, etc. He's gonna play the same dude in a bunch of movies for a few years, then change, rinse and repeat.

Also Depp, but that's mostly because of his bromance with Burton.

People who mentioned Tom Hanks are batshit insane.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
THIS !

How Jack black is NOT every single post is AMAZING.

There is only ONE MOVIE that he is not playing himself !
Dude does air guitar in EVERY SINGLE MOVIE HE HAS BEEN

Shallow Hal? and a few where he wasn't a main character... the one where he has a monobrow..

Dilly

Banned
Brad Pitt, DiCaprio, Jim Carrey and Tom Cruise are such wrong answers it isn't even funny.

Adam Sandler definitely isn't an idiot, the scams he can pull off and get away with is fairly impressive.

Seth C

I don't know that he is playing "himself" but let's be honest, Johnny Depp has never played anyone who was mentally stable, ever.

Brad Pitt? The hell are some of your talking about? He gets leading roles DESPITE being a character actor.

And there's nothing wrong with actors "playing themselves" (which they aren't, they're just acting to a type) Some of the most famous actors ever got that way precisely because they did. Hell, nearly every major action star plays the same role in every movie.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Does Samuel L. Jackson ever NOT swear at a breakneck pace? Even his character in Django was consistently cursing.

bDzyx.jpg

edit: Funny how GAF has named every single black actor in Hollywood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom